Author Topic: Umm help with APE  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Okapi_Keeper

• Zookeeper
Umm help with APE
« on: June 23, 2006, 05:41:41 PM »
Well I had posted this before but cant seem to find it anymore(I am sorry for double posting the same thing) but I want to know how can I do a recolor of an animal(and I guess people that are good at this is called a skinner)?

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
Umm help with APE
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 05:56:25 PM »
:original: You're right - we are called 'skinners'. Most of us from the Design Team suggest that before you try an animal, you try an object. It's much easier! And, of course, an object is stationary, not animated, so there isn't so much to do with it.

But, if you insist on starting with an animal, we suggest before you 'make' one, you try making a variant for one that exists (like a darker and lighter lemur, for example). This will give you the 'feel' of the skins and allow you to see where things from the skin actually appear on the animal. It frequently surprises you! :laughing:  Also, there isn't any coding for variants.

ZA offers a Variant Animal Tutorial (VAT) by Penguinman (the Master Coder). Try that first, then, when you're comfortable with skins, try downloading APE II by Sideshow Bob (also hosted here at ZA).

p.s. Whichever you do, make sure you have a decent paint program. MS Paint just doesn't do it for animals. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 05:58:27 PM by csleesburg »

Offline Bengal

• ChinchillAddict!
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
    • http://
Umm help with APE
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 06:00:44 PM »
Moved to Ape C& Creation help

Offline Okapi_Keeper

• Zookeeper
Umm help with APE
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 06:01:03 PM »
Well I meant I wanted to do an object as well. But I will look into the VAT

Offline Okapi_Keeper

• Zookeeper
Umm help with APE
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 06:04:54 PM »
cleesburg- What is VAT under just to ask or where do I find it?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 06:15:23 PM by Okapi_Keeper »

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
Umm help with APE
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 06:08:17 PM »
I hate to sound really dumb, but if you're after APE & Creation Help, that's ZT1, right? If so, VAT won't work. If you're really after ZT2, we need to move this. It DOES make a difference in creating.

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
Umm help with APE
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 08:38:02 PM »
As CSL is a designer for ZT 2 and not ZT 1 she mistakenly gave you wrong information.

To begin creating your own content for ZT 1 I suggest first you go to the ape creation and help section and read what you can find on making things. there is also a tutorial on making objects in this section under tutorials.

In the top right hand corner of the forums main page you will also see a link to the Articles available here at ZA. There are a few good articles on making ZT 1 content located there.

The best thing to do before trying to create is read all available information first.

Offline Okapi_Keeper

• Zookeeper
Umm help with APE
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 09:57:08 PM »
Thanx YR