Author Topic: Editing MM and DD animals in APE  (Read 14746 times)

Offline casey

• Administrator
  • Marine Biologist
Editing MM and DD animals in APE
« on: January 19, 2005, 04:25:35 PM »
Alright, so some of you haven’’t quite grasped the knowledge of how to use the whole A.P.E 2.5, A.P.E 2.5 Dinosaur Digs and Marine Mania editions, and Spin’’s A.P.E Enhancement. Well, here is your second chance to get on the band wagon and learn how to use the simple method of getting dinosaurs and marine animals into A.P.E for editing. I have written a Q & A guide about the programs and the method for getting the dinosaurs and marine animals.

Q: What is A.P.E 2.5?
A: A.P.E 2.5 is a program that allows you to edit animals and scenery objects for the game Zoo Tycoon. There are several versions of A.P.E that you can get. All work the same and you can accomplish everything with version 1.1 that you can do with 2.5 except for a few properties that are added in 2.5 that aren’’t in any other version of A.P.E. Quivaz has updated A.P.E so that on Properties Page 3 there are 20 new properties that weren’’t available in earlier versions. Most of these properties we’’re added with the expansion packs Dinosaur Digs and Marine Mania and deal with tanks and such.

Q: What is Spin’’s A.P.E Enhancement?
A: Spin has worked long and hard to find a way to get some of the dinosaurs and marine animals into A.P.E. His result is the A.P.E Enhancement. It works by changing some files around in the Zoo Tycoon folder. A.P.E reads the new files when loading and therefore opens the new animals (the dinosaurs and marine animals). For one reason or another some of the animals couldn’’t be opened in A.P.E. Below is a list of all the animals and objects you can get with A.P.E Enhancement.

Dinosaur Digs:

Animals -

Allosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Caudipteryx, Composures, Coelosis, Herrerasaurus, Iguanodon, Lambeosaurus, Meiolan, Smilodon, Spinosaurus, Stegosaurus, Styracosaurus, T-Rex, Velociraptor, Wooly Mammoth, Wooly Rhino, Super Crocodile

Scenery -

small torch, small torch 2, statue t-rex, statue velociraptor, statue triceratops, dino arch1, dino arch2, fossil 1, fossil 2, fossil 3, skeleton t-rex, skeleton velociraptor, skeleleton triceratops, bonebed 1, dino rock1, dino rock2, dino rock3, dino rock4, dino rock5, Lab1, road 1, road 2, road 3, oildrdum 1, lab jeep, cessna 1, cliff 1, cliff 2, cliff 3, cliff 4, cliff 5, cliff 6, build 6, dumpster, tent, meter

Marine Mania:

Animals -

great white shark, dolphin, jelly fish, mako shark, elephant seal, tuna, sea turtle

Objects -

aquatic rock 1, aquatic rock 2, aquatic rock 3, aquatic rock 4, aquatic rock 5, Iceberg, isle rock, aquatic, observation area 1, aquatic observation area 2, fake clam, treasure chest, statue mermaid, statue diver, statue orca, statue dolphin, statue sea lion, statue seal, statue trio, light house, Umbrella, motor boat, Jetty1, Jetty2, Jetty3, sail boat, Hotel, life chair, broken lamp, broken bench, dock1

To get Spin’’s A.P.E Enhancement go to this address: http://zt.arachnafobic.org/zt_eape.php
Note: The site was down at the time of this post

Q: How do I use Spin’’s A.P.E Enhancement?
A:

1. Download Spin's A.P.E Enhancement if you haven’’t already. The address is here: http://zoo.ogresnet.com/downloads/db/index.php?mod=2081
2. In the download there should be three files called config.ztd, each in a folder labeled DD, MM, and ZT.
These three files are what you use to get the DD and MM animals into A.P.E.
3. If you want to open DD animals in A.P.E copy the config.ztd file in the DD folder and paste it in the main Zoo Tycoon folder.
4. Then open up A.P.E
Now DD animals and objects in the list above are available to you in A.P.E to edit as you please.
If you want to get MM animals do the same just copy and paste the config.ztd file in the MM folder into the main Zoo Tycoon folder and open up A.P.E

Important!: When you want to run the Zoo Tycoon game you MUST replace the original config.ztd file. To do this do the following:

1. Open the ZT folder
2. Take the config.ztd
3. Copy it and paste it in the main Zoo Tycoon folder.

Q: Why do I need A.P.E 2.5 DD and MM editions?
A: Well, you don’’t need A.P.E 2.5 DD or MM editions to edit those animals. These two editions work with Spin’’s A.P.E Enhancement so when you open DD or MM animals with the correct edition not only will you get the animations but also the text. That is the purpose of the DD or MM editions, they load a different lang.dll file so they load the correct text for the correct animals. You could get dinosaurs and marine animals without the DD and MM editions but not with the text that belongs to them. Also there are properties in the Properties Page 3 section of A.P.E 2.5 that work only with DD and MM animals. Those properties can only be edited in A.P.E 2.5, they are not in any other version of the program. You previously had to edit the things by opening the ucs file.

If you have any other questions about A.P.E 2.5, A.P.E 2.5 DD and MM editions, or Spin’’s A.P.E Enhancement I would love to answer them for you if I can. Just post them below or send me a Private Message and I will do my best to answer them or point you to someone who can as soon as possible.

Quivaz

Offline zootycoonfan

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 03:26:48 PM »
I have a question. When you go to the sliders to change if they like a certain type of foilage, well how do I make it so they like Marine plants.  ;)  My fish likes seaweed.

Offline creationfan

• Zookeeper
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 11:44:43 PM »
I tried installing Spin's Ape Enhancement several times already, I followed those guidelines and all I got was a dinosaur an whale themed ape with all the same stuff in Ape 2.5, Are files are thrown around a bit, maybe that has something to do with it.

Offline Yetigirl

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 05:47:27 AM »
YEA!!!same with me......exept I got ZT animals ONLY!!!! :angry

Offline casey

• Administrator
  • Marine Biologist
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 04:25:35 PM »
Edited duplicate of ^above post do not delete or whole topic is lost.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 04:50:03 AM by Yellowrose »

Offline Nettie

• Zookeeper
    • http://www.myspace.com/nettiek
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 11:17:28 PM »
i also can't get the mm or dd animals.  I put the folders into my main zoo folder but they do not show up in ape.  Does it matter if you have Ape 1.1 or 2.5?

Offline Nettie

• Zookeeper
    • http://www.myspace.com/nettiek
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 11:30:53 PM »
I've noticed that to make the ape enhancement work, you need to put the config files into the main zoo folder...  well there's already one there and you have to put in the DD and MM files into.  they all have the same name...  so you either have to change the names of the files or you have to over write the other ones...  this doesn't make any sense...  what needs to be done to fix this??  please help!!!!

Nettie

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Zookeeper
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 02:05:35 PM »
This may be an odd question, but does combining ZTD files interfere with editing animals/objects in A.P.E., perticulaurly with version 2.5 and Spins enhancement?? To clarify my question, sometime ago I stumbled onto Pixigger's guide (powerpoint) to combining the ZTD files, thereby getting around the infamous ZT ZTD file limit, and have been somewhat fanatical about combining these things ever since, including merging all the "offical" ZT download animals into 1 big ZTD. Does this "combining" make it harder/impossible to "find" animals/objects with A.P.E.? (I actually haven't got up the nerve to try editing with A.P.E. yet- despite having downloaded the "original" version waaaaay back when it was 1st made available- as the lack of offical documentaion was rather un-nerving to a newbie like me, but with threads like these....who knows! )

-ZW

Offline flamethrower

• Game Warden
    • http://www.pftq.com
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 03:25:08 PM »
ZT doesn't see the creations differently whether they are combined or not.  It's better to combine them imo so it's all in one place.  It doesn't interfere or mess anything up.  Actually, the official ingame animals are all in combined ZTD files.

@Nettie: Sorry for missing the question but yes - the configs are supposed to be replaced.  But keep the original as you need to replace it again with the original to play the game.

Offline Eagle One

• Game Warden
    • http://eagleonenet.com/ztempire/
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 03:25:56 PM »
There no easy answer to this question  sometimes it casues problems  other times there are no problems.   I do all my editing of an object animal etc  first then once its all tested out  i combine it to my ztd  file for animals  or objects or buildings

Superraptor

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 08:22:08 AM »
It crashed my game! :angry

Offline flamethrower

• Game Warden
    • http://www.pftq.com
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 10:54:09 AM »
Did you make sure you did this last step?

Important!: When you want to run the Zoo Tycoon game you MUST replace the original config.ztd file. To do this do the following:

1. Open the ZT folder
2. Take the config.ztd
3. Copy it and paste it in the main Zoo Tycoon folder

Scientist George

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2005, 04:13:22 PM »
How excatly do you use APE? I can't seem to figure out.

Offline Koala Komander

• ZA Designer
  • Scientist
    • Zoomania
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2005, 04:15:27 PM »
Zt Center. have to join the site to get it

Scientist George

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2005, 05:11:50 PM »
I mean, bring up the program to edit the animals...

*wants to attempt to make Charizard*

Offline Tasmanian_tiger

• ZA Designer
  • Scientist
    • http://www.thylacine.be
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2005, 02:33:01 AM »
Are you talking about Ape 1 or Ape 2?  

This section is for Ape 1, for the Zoo Tycoon.  Ape 1 you can get on this site (and many others.)

Ape2 is for Zoo Tycoon 2, and you can only get on Zoo Center.

Scientist George

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2005, 11:42:43 AM »
I mean how to run it. I know how to download it, but I can't figure out how to open up the thingy for editing animals.

Offline Tasmanian_tiger

• ZA Designer
  • Scientist
    • http://www.thylacine.be
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2005, 01:22:24 AM »
You have to unzip the files.  (Just mentioning it, in case.)  Normally double clicking on the Ape icon after that, should do.  Which version did you download.  The enhancements from spin, aren't Apes.

Offline ChaosBlade

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2006, 07:11:58 PM »
Exactly what folder do you have to put the config.ztd files into for spin's enhancement to work?

Offline Aspic Viper

• Zookeeper
    • http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/Kalahari/
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2006, 08:01:12 PM »
Could someone PLEASE tell me what program I need to recolr and resize animals for zoo tycoon.  Sorry if this is the wrong folder.

Offline ChaosBlade

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2006, 08:49:58 AM »
Originally posted by Aspic Viper@Jan 2 2006, 10:01 PM
Could someone PLEASE tell me what program I need to recolr and resize animals for zoo tycoon.  Sorry if this is the wrong folder.
You need APE.

Offline harriape2006

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2006, 02:59:29 AM »
:angry

YOU MANIACS!!!!!! YOU RUINED MY GAME!!!!!! **** YOU!!!!!! **** YOU ALL TO ****!!!!!!!

Offline harriape2006

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2006, 05:03:25 AM »
:(    sorry about my last post. I've fixed the problem, and now I'm gonna try doing a chao (the cute little blue creatures in the Sonic Games) for zt1  :idea

Offline harriape2006

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2006, 07:49:12 AM »
:sad

Sorry, guys, but seeing as I can't manage to upload anything, all the animals I've made will have to stay with me. Sorry again

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2006, 08:26:19 AM »
Why can't you upload your files. If you are having a problem with the submission we can help you to be able to get them submitted.

What error messeges are you getting when you try to submit your files - if any

is your file in the proper zip format ?

is your screenshot 220 x 180 pixels ?

if any of these conditions are not met you won't be able to upload and will get an error messege.