Author Topic: Extracting animals  (Read 5868 times)

Offline casey

• Administrator
  • Marine Biologist
Extracting animals
« on: January 19, 2005, 04:32:43 PM »
?I've been reading the posts on extracting animations for dinos, sea creatures and bonus animals. I've tried the method on ZKL, and had some diificulties. At the request of ty2, I'm posting the method I use.

For bonus animals:

1. Unzip the *.ZTD file, I'll use the antelope.ZTD.
2. Create an animal on APE. It doesn't matter what, you just want the *.UCA file. Unzip this animals *.ZTD.
3. Copy the *.UCA file (inside the animals folder, it will be named with numbers and letters, i.e. BF84C912.UCA) from the animal you created into the animals folder for the sable antelope.
4. Using Wordpad, open the *.UCA file and delete all text.
5. Using Wordpad, open the sablea.ai. Copy all text and paste it into the *.UCA file.
6. Delete the sablea.ai file and rename the *.UCA file to sablea.UCA.
7. Zip the animal back up as a *. ZTD file and it is available in APE.

For dinos and sea creatures:

1. Unzip the animals5.ZTD, animals6.ZTD, animals8.ZTD, animals9.ZTD and animalsa.ZTD files.
2. Create a new folder, name it animals.
3. Inside the animals folder, create another new folder. Name it with the same name as the *.ai file of the animal you are extracting. I'll use the allosaurus. The AI file is allo.ai, so name the folder allo.
4. Copy the allo.ai file from the unzipped animals8 folder into the animals folder with the allo folder.
5. In the unzipped animals5 folder, there is an allo folder. Copy the m folder, y folder and and allo.pal file into the allo folder (the one that you created in your animals folder).
6. In the unzipped animals6 folder, there is also an allo folder. Copy the icmallo, lsmallo, plmallo and the wave files into the allo folder (the one that you created in your animals folder).
7. Switch the AI file to a UCA file as described above for the sable antelope.
8. Zip up the creature as a*.ZTD file and it is available in APE.

For MM creatures, the files you need are in the animals9.ZTD and the animalsa.ZTD. It works just as well, but I haven't tried to do anything with any of the MM creatures beyond this.

Any new animal created this way will overwrite the animal you are extracting the animations from, so in order to use the animations you need to save them and reload them in APE with a new animal you are creating, using an animal that APE provides access to. This poses problems in terms of AI with some behaviors and the corresponding animations, and may require editing in the UCA file to get the animal to work properly. This method will allow you to look at compatability, behaviors and all other properties, so you can record these and transfer them to the animal
you've created. It also pulls the sounds into APE. I've been trying to work out a way where these animals can be used in APE directly, but I haven't figured out how to do it yet.

Hope this helps.
original author not recorded
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 10:38:22 AM by Yellowrose »

Offline casey

• Administrator
  • Marine Biologist
Extracting animals
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 04:32:43 PM »
Edited duplicate of above post ^ - YR

Do not delewte this post as it will delete the topic.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 11:29:27 AM by Yellowrose »