Author Topic: Fence Creation  (Read 2045 times)

Offline horse23

• Zookeeper
Fence Creation
« on: August 01, 2006, 01:08:51 PM »
I have made a new fence (graphics) but I need someone to tell me how to make it work.

Can you make them in APE?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 05:53:01 PM by horse23 »

Offline fern

• Zookeeper
Fence Creation
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 06:56:55 PM »
A basic decorative fence requires 12 graphic files and cannot be made in APE.
An exhibit fence requires 36 files and that does not include the heaps of files required for the gate.
A fence needs configuring and very difficult rotation adjustments. It also requires a dll. There are some that have been done without a dll and they all overwrite one item or another ingame.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 06:59:10 PM by fern »

Offline horse23

• Zookeeper
Fence Creation
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 07:02:26 AM »
Ive done this one out of an existing fence. I just did a recolour. can I use the same gate as the original fence?

Offline fern

• Zookeeper
Fence Creation
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 06:02:53 PM »
Yes, you can use the ingame gate. Recolourings still require the rotations and configuring to be done.

Offline horse23

• Zookeeper
Fence Creation
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 08:48:09 AM »
How do you do the configuring?

Offline Jay

• Zookeeper
Fence Creation
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 05:29:17 PM »
To configure a fence, one first has to come up with an 8 character name that is not used by anyone else for something. Then, before doing anything more, all of the fence images have to have rotation adjustments made. That is the hardest part because the images have to match exactly when they are put together in a row and to form a corner, from any of the 4 possible views. This can be done by looking at all of the images for a similar ingame fence and counting the number of pixels each of the 4 fence edges are away from the 4 sides of a flat grid square for each image, followed by using all of these numbers to make all of the new fence images match while adjusting their rotation views. Next, an appropriate ingame fence ".ai" file is copied, then renamed and edited to use the new 8 character name. Then a subset of an ingame fence ".cfg" file is created using the new 8 character name. Then an unlock file is created in the same way as is done for a user created building. Next, a new project is started in APE and the idle SE image of the fence is loaded in as an icon. Then a folder and file structure is created similar to an appropriate ingame fence. This usually involves adding in the newly created icon image and creating various ".ani" files similar to what was created for the icon but using the new 8 character name and fence directory structure instead. Finally all of this is zipped into a ".ztd" file.

Offline horse23

• Zookeeper
Fence Creation
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 07:11:12 AM »
Wow. Ill have to play with that a little more.