Author Topic: Using Zoot  (Read 1023 times)

Offline orcaluver16

• Pooper Scooper
Using Zoot
« on: December 19, 2006, 06:36:04 PM »
I have already read and understand that I need to extract .ztd files in order to use Zoot. Yet, what I need to know is:

1.) Do you need Winzip File Extractor?
2.) What files do you actually extract (the animal files for example)?
3.) The Winzip says that the files must be in .zip format so they can be extracted. Do I just change the .ztd to .zip?

Offline Jay

• Zookeeper
Using Zoot
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 10:14:22 PM »
Yes, ".ztd" files need to be extracted to use them in ZOOT. Any program that can extract ".zip" files will work. You will find that most people use winzip or winrar. But I do not like either because they do not produce the most efficient ".zip" files and because they expect a payment for continued use, even though they got the "code" from elsewhere for free. Windows XP has a built-in "Compressed folder" program. That is what I use for extracting when I use Windows XP. To extract, one way is to rename ".ztd" to ".zip". But to make it easier, I associated the ".ztd" ending with the built-in "Compressed folder" program. Then I don't have to rename. Once the files are extracted and files are changed in ZOOT or other programs, the files need to be put into a ".ztd" again. Although the "Compressed folder" program works, it also does not provide the most efficient file. Instead, I use the free program called Zip Central when I create ".ztd" or ".zip" files while using MS Windows.

When extracting, it is easier to extract all of the files within the ".ztd". Normally ZOOT is not used for animals, though, since rotation position adjustments rarely have to be made for animals. ZOOT is more useful for objects, either to adjust rotation positions for scenery, foliage, and rocks, or to create those things that APE does not understand: structures (buildings, shelters, rides), sold items, fences, and paths.