Author Topic: Slow Es?  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Honor

• Zookeeper
    • http://www.doublehelixstudios.com
Slow Es?
« on: October 23, 2005, 03:54:12 PM »
I looked to see if there was already a topic on this, but I couldn't find one...so my apologies if this is already present and I overlooked it...

So I finally got the ES and installed it. Had a minor issue with my graphics driver (that's a weird story, but for another time, or if necessary here) but updating my driver fixed that.

Now, after played it once, the game has become incredibly slow. Ironic, since we were told the game would run smoother and faster with the ES, right?

I'm not sure what it is...nothing else on my computer has changed and when the game isn't running my computer operates at it's normal speed. I tried lowering my graphics setting to medium (lower than I had them before the ES) and that hasn't helped at all. It's very difficult to move around the map from overhead view and forget about guest view...that nearly is impossible.

So has anyone else experienced this massive slow down after the ES? Or is it just me?

And if you have, how were you able to correct it, if at all?

Offline zoohio

• Speedy--Master of Water Effects!
  • Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
Slow Es?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 04:05:20 PM »
I have not found this to be an issue. In fact, my game ran slow before the ES and better since.

I have my graphics set on medium and have had no issues.
Make sure you have nothing else running in the backgroud. MP3's, other programs, etc.... I turned off my Kodak software that runs all the time. It makes a big difference.
Also, when you installed, there is a new Directx that installs with the game. Make sure that it is installed, which means you may reinstall the game.

Offline Springfield Elephant

• Zookeeper
Slow Es?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 04:05:58 PM »
Yeah i;ve experienced that. And well still doo.  I just unloaded my zoo empire so the es would runh smoother, and it worked better.  But i theink/know that BF will make a fix it, or what everits called to fix that! So Cheerful goodbye to all!!

Offline Honor

• Zookeeper
Slow Es?
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 04:10:11 PM »
Originally posted by zoohio@Oct 23 2005, 07:05 PM
I have not found this to be an issue. In fact, my game ran slow before the ES and better since.

I have my graphics set on medium and have had no issues.
Make sure you have nothing else running in the backgroud. MP3's, other programs, etc.... I turned off my Kodak software that runs all the time. It makes a big difference.
Also, when you installed, there is a new Directx that installs with the game. Make sure that it is installed, which means you may reinstall the game.
ha, the funny thing is I did everything you suggested before I posted and still nothing. I have little background software, most notably a firewall and a weather monitoring program, neither of which are large RAM user and if THAT's the problem I have bigger issues with my computer than I thought  :><

What distresses me most is that I just upgraded my RAM to 1 GIG not too long ago, so there should be no issues with min. requirements. (I exceed all of them on this system).

I did install the new DirectX when I installed the ES as well.

Only thing I can think to do now is to defrag (maybe it just needed one anyway and this is a coincidence?) and if that doesn't work, do a reinstall. I'm also going to run some other graphics intense games to see what quality I get from them too.

Oh and about background programs...I don't have anything NEW running, so if it was running before the ES and my game was fine, shouldn't it be fine after the ES install? (did that make sense?)

Jumbi

Slow Es?
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 04:13:45 PM »
yeah but does anyone have a prob in zoo guest and camera mode when i turn away from the entrance the sreen goes blue? :(  :sad

Offline TapirLover

• Zookeeper
Slow Es?
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 04:18:37 PM »
nope. :( sorry dude

Offline Snowstalker

• Scientist
    • http://zoo.ogresnet.com
Slow Es?
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 04:32:07 PM »
The expansion is actually faster. At first is was REALLY slow, but now it's moving faster than a jet.

Offline Honor

• Zookeeper
Slow Es?
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 06:12:07 PM »
Originally posted by Snowstalker@Oct 23 2005, 07:32 PM
The expansion is actually faster. At first is was REALLY slow, but now it's moving faster than a jet.
At first? what do you mean at first? Like, over time it got faster? or after saving a game? What period of time did it take?

Btw, defragging didn't do much to help at all. I'm going to try a reinstall.

Also: Zoohio, you mentioned in another thread a certain graphics card is needed to get the water effect...where did you get that information and/or do you know of a list somewhere that would list the graphics card needed to produce that effect? I want to see if I have the right graphics card for the water effects.

Offline zoohio

• Speedy--Master of Water Effects!
  • Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
Slow Es?
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 07:21:34 PM »
Before installing the hardware, you should know the power supply for your pc. This info can be found in the manual pertaining to your pc or online.
Then I did the research from there regarding the video cards. Every video card made uses a certain amount of power to run them, so make sure that the purchase is the correct one to correspond with your power supply.

I use a NiVidia GEForce 6800. My pc power supply is at 350 watts. Kinda low. I also installed up to 1GB of Ram. This helped, but the power supply that is needed to run all these things must be large.
ZT2 is different from other games as they try to show all the back ground as well. In other higher tech games, you see a minimal area and the rest tends to fade away. This gives your pc a break and lets the video cards work on the area that is right on your screen.

These video cards can get expensive. Before spending the cash, do the research. Watch for them to go on sale! I waited several weeks before I made the purchase. Also, talk to PC experts regarding your PC. Take the manual or paperwork and get several opinions before the purchase.
The best purchase is one with knowledge.

Offline Wildlife Enthusiast

• Zookeeper
Slow Es?
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 11:36:56 PM »
Honor, check your power scheme setting (Display--Screen Saver--Power--Power Scheme).... Most settings are designed to save power, but to different degrees, and the way the system saves power is to step down the processor!  Before I was told this by a Dell tech support guy, I was only running 298-600 MHz on a 2 GHz processor at times!!  If you set your power scheme to the "Always On" option, your processor will continue to run at maximum capacity.  But the guy recommended that I only use this setting while gaming, then return it to a lower setting when I'm finished, because it is hard on the machine to run all the time, and it will generate heat faster.  But, anyway, it did help me a great deal with the original game.  (I haven't installed the Xp yet.)  I hope that helps! ;)

Offline Honor

• Zookeeper
Slow Es?
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 01:07:58 PM »
Originally posted by zoohio@Oct 23 2005, 10:21 PM
Before installing the hardware, you should know the power supply for your pc. This info can be found in the manual pertaining to your pc or online.
Then I did the research from there regarding the video cards. Every video card made uses a certain amount of power to run them, so make sure that the purchase is the correct one to correspond with your power supply.

haha, funny you should mention power supplies. I FOUGHT with HP to get them to upgrade my power supply because it wasn't good enough for my standard system, and finally got them to get me a 350 watt.(the system was supplied with a 200watt which caused severe problems. but that's another story. let just say my next won't be a HP) The 1 GIG RAM I bought drained my "computer spending money" resources so a new power supply OR a new Graphics card is out of the question.

Besides, for what this thing is running, 250 should be plenty. ZT2 is about the largest thing I operate on here and never while running something else. I will have to check my graphics card settings though. It's an Nvidia as well, but I'm not sure right now what kind.

Funny though, I noticed, new games don't have the problem of being slow...but scenarios, saved games and tutorials do. Also, reinstalling didn't help.

Wildlife Enthusiast: Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought of that and may give that a try as well.
EDIT#2: Checked the power settings, and it's already at "always on"

I've come to figure it's my computer, not the game. But I just don't have the resources to upgrade a system that's less than 2 years old, on a college students budget. Especially not for just a game. It does everything else I want, so I may just have to deal with the sloweness or not play the ES until I can afford a system upgrade.

Thanks for all the help everyone, esp. your zoohio. I appreciate it.
 :D

EDIT: Zoohio, 'nother question. When I check my device manager, under the "display adaptors tab" it says: "NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU"
Is THAT my graphics card? And since it's integrated, I can't upgrade w/out upgrading the whole motherboard, if I remember correctly. Is that right? :><