Author Topic: Are Freezes A Common Bug For This Game?  (Read 4791 times)

Offline Pragmatic

• Pooper Scooper
Are Freezes A Common Bug For This Game?
« on: November 20, 2005, 12:44:10 AM »
I'm trying to play through the Sumatran Rhino campaign, and as if it wasn't hard enough to catch a picture of that dang beast during the two seconds it's doing the task I'm supposed to photograph, I've had four crashes.  So now I have to go back and try to get it licking that froopy salt lick, all over again! :mad:

When is a patch coming out for ES?  I didn't have any problems in non-ES challenge games and sandboxes, only in ES stuff.

Sorry, I'm just very upset.  I just lost a couple hours of gameplay here, and I'm going to have to start from scratch.  And I was SO close to completing the scenario, too! :(

Offline Spyder

• Zookeeper
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 02:28:30 AM »
You can invent your own challenges for user made downloads? I never knew that!

Or do you mean the Javan Rhinoceros?

Offline Bengal

• ChinchillAddict!
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 05:04:54 AM »
I believe he meant to say Javan Rhino campaign.

Offline Pragmatic

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 08:57:47 AM »
Yeah, Javan.  Sorry.  I'm getting very annoyed, as I was getting SO CLOSE to completing the campaign.  I FINALLY managed to get a picture of the rhino using the salt lick.  The rhino uses the salt lick for approximately five seconds.  Then it goes to drink.  Then it goes to browse.  Then it goes to pee.  All that takes about five minutes, give or take.  Meanwhile I'm sitting there, watching the thing as it sits around looking confused.

I even had five pursuit balls sitting in the exhibit.  I moved my mouse to the bottom corner, and suddenly the game freezed.  Again.  And it took two or three hard reboots to clear the error.  If this was the first time this happened, I wouldn't be so upset.  But this was the third time in one day I've been close to completing that particular scenario. :(

Offline Tigeress_10

• ZA's craziest tigeress
  • Raptor Pack
  • Game Warden
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 09:40:40 AM »
Originally posted by Pragmatic@Nov 20 2005, 04:57 PM
Yeah, Javan.  Sorry.  I'm getting very annoyed, as I was getting SO CLOSE to completing the campaign.  I FINALLY managed to get a picture of the rhino using the salt lick.  The rhino uses the salt lick for approximately five seconds.  Then it goes to drink.  Then it goes to browse.  Then it goes to pee.  All that takes about five minutes, give or take.  Meanwhile I'm sitting there, watching the thing as it sits around looking confused.

I even had five pursuit balls sitting in the exhibit.  I moved my mouse to the bottom corner, and suddenly the game freezed.  Again.  And it took two or three hard reboots to clear the error.  If this was the first time this happened, I wouldn't be so upset.  But this was the third time in one day I've been close to completing that particular scenario. :(
ALWAYS save your game like mad! I save every five mins on a scenario...

Offline Pragmatic

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 10:48:53 AM »
And yet ANOTHER crash.  I cleared everything but the rhino exhibit, built a nice-looking entrance food/entertainment/restroom area (just the paving, in a nice geometric pattern), put benches all around the path surrounding the rhino exhibit (I HATE the "wah wah, why can't we find someplace to sit" message when they're THREE SQUARES away from a bench), and it crashed.  I just wasted about twenty minutes of gameplay.

Why doesn't this game have an autosave option? :mad:  And is there any word on a patch?

I can't believe I lent away my Civ 4 disk for a week...  I'm going to have to find some other game to play, if this thing keeps locking up my computer.  That CAN'T be good for my computer, freezing up a half-dozen times in one day.

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 11:51:39 AM »
Originally posted by Pragmatic@Nov 20 2005, 01:48 PM
Why doesn't this game have an autosave option? :mad: And is there any word on a patch?
 if this thing keeps locking up my computer. That CAN'T be good for my computer, freezing up a half-dozen times in one day.
Amen, brother! I also requested an Autosave for the very same reason (but mine has never frozen)! Although I've completed all the ES campaigns, still, it would be nice even in Freeform/Sandbox mode.

p.s. - as to your computer freezing, it might be a problem with YOUR actual pc, rather than the game. I have a superfast (gigs of memory) computer, large processor, good graphics card and it hasn't frozen on me once. Maybe update your graphics card? :erm

Offline Pragmatic

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 05:20:23 PM »
I'm thinking of turning the graphics down to medium.  I have one of those thin Dell computers, and the best graphics card they could fit into it (given the space) was an ATI RADEON x300, which isn't all that hot.

I already updated the drivers so I could play Civ 4, so I've done about as much as I can.

Don't tell me I have to wait for my next computer?  I just bought this one this year.

Edit: cleesburg, you wouldn't have any saved games for the ES campaigns, so I can bypass the whole thing?  So far, the whole freezing thing has only happened in the Javan Rhino scenario.

Offline Alpha Dilophosaur

• Scientist
  • I reject your reality, and substitute my own!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 05:35:20 PM »
I have this huge four and a half star zoo, with a five star Jeep tour, and even though it never permanatly freezes, whenever I go into Zoo guest mode or photo safari mode, it freezes up for 10 minuets, and if I move in the game, it does half of the movement, then freezes up again for another 10 minuets! Whats wrong?! I have an XP! it should be going lightning fast. I'd like to show pics, but it takes to long!

Offline Honor

• Zookeeper
    • http://www.doublehelixstudios.com
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 06:50:18 PM »
Originally posted by Alpha Dilophosaur@Nov 20 2005, 09:35 PM
I have this huge four and a half star zoo, with a five star Jeep tour, and even though it never permanatly freezes, whenever I go into Zoo guest mode or photo safari mode, it freezes up for 10 minuets, and if I move in the game, it does half of the movement, then freezes up again for another 10 minuets! Whats wrong?! I have an XP! it should be going lightning fast. I'd like to show pics, but it takes to long!
that is the exact same problem I've had...and only since installing the XP. For me, the only fix is to set my graphics settings on "low" (whereas before the XP they were always on med and I never had a problem)

ETA:

well, I've had my first game crash... (that wasn't related to user content) and surprise, it was with the XP installed. So very angry too because I just spent 4 hours of potential study time on a zoo that now ceases to exist.

An autosave function would be endlessly useful.

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 07:55:44 AM »
Originally posted by Pragmatic@Nov 20 2005, 08:20 PM
Edit: cleesburg, you wouldn't have any saved games for the ES campaigns, so I can bypass the whole thing? So far, the whole freezing thing has only happened in the Javan Rhino scenario.
weelll, I DO, but the MODs have asked us not to post any yet. If they agree, I could email that one to you, via PM, but wouldn't feel comfortable doing it without their approval.
??? MODs???

Offline Penguino

• Game Warden
  • E Spheniscidae, Spheniscidae
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 10:57:52 PM »
You can't attach files to PMs. However, if you'd like to exchange emails there, go ahead.

Offline Dith

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2005, 03:11:31 PM »
Mine has also been freezing. It's frozen in my freeform game and the campaign I've been playing. I've had to start it over 3 times now and it keeps freezing. I hate saving every couple minutes because I just want to play the game and not worry about it.

Offline Lui

• Pooper Scooper
my game keeps on freezing
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 10:41:48 AM »
hi my zt2 keeps on freezing after i play for like 30 minutes or so i was just wondering if anyone else had this problem if so can they post some advice thank you

Offline LadyZookeeperNY

• Queen of the Checkerboard Paths!
  • Administrator
  • Game Warden
    • http://hometown.aol.com/ladyslopokes
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 10:52:10 AM »
There is already a topic about this subject, so I'm moving your question there. Please use the search function in the future to see if any other questions/concerns have already been talked about. Thank you.

Offline penguinbomber14

• Senior Zookeeper
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 10:57:24 AM »
And yet ANOTHER crash. I cleared everything but the rhino exhibit, built a nice-looking entrance food/entertainment/restroom area (just the paving, in a nice geometric pattern), put benches all around the path surrounding the rhino exhibit (I HATE the "wah wah, why can't we find someplace to sit" message when they're THREE SQUARES away from a bench), and it crashed. I just wasted about twenty minutes of gameplay.
You don't want to clear your stuff in that scenario, you need zoo fame to complete it.

Offline Peacenote

• Peaceful Music Soothes the Savage Soul
  • Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2006, 11:12:00 AM »
Quote from: Lui
hi my zt2 keeps on freezing after i play for like 30 minutes or so i was just wondering if anyone else had this problem if so can they post some advice thank you

If you have any more information it might help us troubleshoot.  For example, which version of ZT2 do you have (do you have any expansions)?  Is the game always freezing in one saved zoo or scenario or every one?  Do you have any user downloads installed?  What kind of computer do you have?

Off the top of my head, I'd say first off to make sure no other programs are running when you're playing and try lowering your graphics settings.  I know there are other topics around here that talk about a good balance between performance and visuals for settings, so you might want to try searching for those.  :wink:

Offline lamna

• Senior Zookeeper
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2006, 12:17:15 PM »
My game often freezes, i always save before going into zookeeper mode. Whats worse is ever time i take a pic the game freezes and i get a error message, that freezes if you send it. It so frustrating when i have to miss out missions on campain games (Though i still got the alfred winsoer award, without aceping the mission:blink:) Now i cant do the AA campaind and unlock deasert. Im gonna try unistaling.

Offline Lui

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2006, 01:24:41 PM »
ya i have ES installed only and i have the graphics on low for zt2 and the game is always freezing on evry mode scenario and free form and i think on challenge 2!!!

man i was SO close to getting a 5 star zoo in 4 hours MAN that stunk!!!

Offline Red Panda Twins

• Senior Zookeeper
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2006, 02:00:32 PM »
I had this problem after I got ES too!!  I had that really campaign where you had to get 5 stars, and it kept freezing on me!!  It happened every once in a while in other modes.  Then I got AA and it started freezing again in random games.  One zoo only works 1 out of 3 times.  Is there any advice on how to help this?

Offline Lui

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2006, 05:16:14 PM »
and now it freezes when i try to make an elavated path

Offline penguinbomber14

• Senior Zookeeper
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2006, 09:34:13 PM »
My computer is not the best for gaming, but I can usually get through a scenario without it freezing, although sometimes it does happen. I've gotten 3 new computer since I got the game, and found that the better your processor the less likely the game is to freeze. Now I have an AMD Athlon 64 processor on my regular computer and a pentium 4M on my laptop, and I have never had a game freeze since.

Offline Wdnesday

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 06:48:03 AM »
I find that the larger my zoo gets, the more freezes I have. I've started changing the graphics to LOW and making the game windowed rather than full screen. It's kind of a pain but at least I get to finish the challenges and campaigns.

Offline Red-Panda-Freak

• Zookeeper
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2006, 07:25:51 AM »
i've found that too.  If while this is really annoying, just remember to save your zoo more and more often as you build your zoo bigger.

Offline dragon_rider05

• Zookeeper
  • Wolves;You've gotta love 'em!
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 08:39:29 AM »
This happens to me ALL the time! I have an area that has a bunch of foliage. Whenever I try to: A) walk around through it B) Move over it in....world mode(?) it freezes! I think that if you have too many objects and/or animals in the game, it'll freeze and crash. (WHICH IS VERY ANNOYING!!!!!) I had to start the zoo over, and I didn't put as much foliage. It looked uglier, but the game didn;t freeze!:woot: