Author Topic: Question About Guests  (Read 7669 times)

Offline Kacy

• Pooper Scooper
Question About Guests
« on: February 20, 2005, 07:22:45 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm new here but I've had Zoo Tycoon for quite some time now. I have a question that I constantly keep having a problem with when it comes to the guests and I've just recently had this problem (that I knew about anyway haha)..

I'm finally going through all the scenarios instead of just playing a freeform and I've noticed that no matter how many restaurants or food courts that I put in the zoo, I still have several hungry guests. I've clicked on them and noticed that all of them are hanging around where a restaurant is but they are not entering it. They are either following a tour guide or going into another building. How do you get them to "feed their needs" so that you don't have 50 hungry guests? Now... I will say that my guests hunger goes up when I get close to the 1000th guest mark but I have around 5, or more, restaurants laid out in the zoo and none of them are losing money so I know guests are going to them but I have stubborn guests that just will not unless I pick them up and put them in front of it. Thanks for any tips that anyone can give me. :)

Kacy

Offline Friend

• Marine Biologist
Question About Guests
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 01:01:02 AM »
what i allways do is put restraunts next to marine animal shows coz the guest are allways hungry after watching a show. :)
i also try to put food courts in the most crowded areas to "slow down the traffic". put food areas in places where guests will want to go to... like a ride or rare animal.

Offline Kacy

• Pooper Scooper
Question About Guests
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 03:17:55 AM »
Yeah, I normally do that. That's why I don't understand why they won't go eat. lol They'll walk right past the food areas and restaurants, when their hunger is in the red, just so they can go to the rides or other buildings. I don't understand that. haha

Offline Typhoon

• Marine Biologist
    • http://s9.invisionfree.com/Zoo_Plaza/index.php?act=idx
Question About Guests
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 03:08:04 PM »
Thats happened to me too. I dont even bother with them.

Offline icepengwyn

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://
Question About Guests
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 04:30:03 PM »
There seems to be an "attractiveness" to different buildings (or attractions, rides, etc) that may be causing the guests to ignore their own hunger and go to these places. It also happens with some animals. It can also cause overcrowding of guests to these animals or buildings. I find if you put in a highly attractive animal (Panda) or ride (the tiger show seems to do this) you get a large flock of guests in that area until they have had a chance to view it. This can also cause some guests to drop their happiness level due to the overcrowding, or hunger needs. Sometimes you just gotta ride it out!

With some user created animals, the attractivness is set to 100 - which may cause a guest flow imbalance. Using APE I reset them to the range used in the game for similar animals (5 to 50-ish).

Also, check your guests' thoughts as they pass by the restaurant. Some may say "restaurant blah blah is too crowded". There is also a capacity for various buildings. The Lumberjack restaurant won't hold very many compared to the in game one, while the Zoo *** Lodge moves lots of em in and out.

If you have just a few out of a thousand, I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline wolfclan4515

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
Question About Guests
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 04:45:04 PM »
Some user created downloads and hacks can affect the way things work in your zoo.  Do you have any hacks such as the one that makes it so you can move buildings?

Offline Kacy

• Pooper Scooper
Question About Guests
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 06:50:06 PM »
Thanks everyone. :)

I don't have any hacks installed, and the only user created restaurants that I've downloaded is the McDonalds one. I do have the Dairy Queen/Subway food stands too but rarely use them when it's a longer scenario. I rarely use the McDonalds one too. I usually use the Family Restaurant that the game comes with in the scenarios. In the freeform games, I use the McDonalds one instead of food stands to start off with. I like not having to have trash cans all over the place. lol One thing that I have found with the Dairy Queen/Subway stands is that if you put them side by side, your Subway stand will lose money because everyone wants the ice cream. lol I use the DQ stand more than any stand available because I've also found that any guest that eats from it, most of their needs are maxed out afterwards. But even with this, I still have 50 or so hungry guests. The only user created attraction I have is the Adoption Center and I put that at the front of my zoo entrance so that guests can adopt an animal when they get there and not have to worry about it anymore.

Offline mo15

• Pest Control
  • Game Warden
Question About Guests
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 06:23:57 PM »
Odd problem...the guests are just probably really stupid :P

The restaurants are supposed to hold at least 100 or 250 or something guests, so 5 should be enough.

Offline Firehawke

• "Ooh, look---it's a frog!"
  • Game Warden
Question About Guests
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 08:22:38 PM »
I thought that the regular restaurant has a capacity of 12 guests. :blink:
I've also noticed that it helps to have a restaurant every 50-100 squares.  Seems like a lot, I know, but it really does help with hungry guests.

Offline Kacy

• Pooper Scooper
Question About Guests
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 10:53:53 PM »
Originally posted by Firehawke@Feb 22 2005, 10:22 PM
I did too until I read somewhere that it holds more. lol *shrugs* I dunno. lol Thanks for everyone's help though. The last one that I played, I only had a few hungry guests. Weird thing was, I layed it out pretty much the same way I have been. I guess the crowd that was in the others were just stupid. hahaha

Offline Penguino

• Game Warden
  • E Spheniscidae, Spheniscidae
Question About Guests
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 12:27:30 AM »
I've checked - it's only twelve. Either the other site was talking about a hack or they're lying.

Offline mo15

• Pest Control
  • Game Warden
Question About Guests
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 01:55:37 PM »
Originally posted by Penguino@Feb 23 2005, 01:27 AM
I've checked - it's only twelve. Either the other site was talking about a hack or they're lying.
okay then.  I heard somewhere that they could hold like 250 :blink:

Offline icepengwyn

• Pooper Scooper
Question About Guests
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 10:16:15 PM »
Originally posted by mo15@Feb 23 2005, 03:55 PM
I heard somewhere that they could hold like 250 :blink:
What you probably read was that a restaurant could "serve" 250, given the time a guest needs between meals. ie if you have 500 guests you would need 2 restaurants and theoretically very few would go hungry. I usually go with 1 restaurant per 200 guests just to be safe. Of course if the service is slow, then just don't tip them much.......... :rolleyes:

Offline Spiderghost

• Honoriam Emeritus-Zoolander Forever!
  • Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
Question About Guests
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2005, 06:07:33 AM »
Originally posted by Kacy@Feb 21 2005, 09:50 PM
I don't have any hacks installed, and the only user created restaurants that I've downloaded is the McDonalds one.
 The McDonald's restaurant is a notorious user download for becoming corrupt or infected. The other is the Pizza Hut restaurant.

This may be the case for you and a variety of problems can be detected when this happens. Sometimes this can be corrected by simply removing the file, in the worst case scenario the entire game needs to be wiped out and reloaded.

Try starting another small zoo and use just the McDonald's restaurant by itself and see if any problems exist with it. This will identify whether it is indeed a corrupt file.

I wish you luck. Maybe you caught it early enough.

Offline Kacy

• Pooper Scooper
Question About Guests
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2005, 05:06:12 PM »
That may be my problem then because the last time I used it, I watched the guests and when they would come out of it, they would go right back in with a need that hadn't been met. And I don't mean turn around and walk back in, I mean they'd just disappear, but you'd see them come back out again. I better delete it before I have to reinstall the whole game. I'm almost done with all the scenarios. lol

Offline Kacy

• Pooper Scooper
Question About Guests
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2005, 07:22:45 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm new here but I've had Zoo Tycoon for quite some time now. I have a question that I constantly keep having a problem with when it comes to the guests and I've just recently had this problem (that I knew about anyway haha)..

I'm finally going through all the scenarios instead of just playing a freeform and I've noticed that no matter how many restaurants or food courts that I put in the zoo, I still have several hungry guests. I've clicked on them and noticed that all of them are hanging around where a restaurant is but they are not entering it. They are either following a tour guide or going into another building. How do you get them to "feed their needs" so that you don't have 50 hungry guests? Now... I will say that my guests hunger goes up when I get close to the 1000th guest mark but I have around 5, or more, restaurants laid out in the zoo and none of them are losing money so I know guests are going to them but I have stubborn guests that just will not unless I pick them up and put them in front of it. Thanks for any tips that anyone can give me. :)

Kacy

Offline Friend

• Marine Biologist
Question About Guests
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2005, 01:01:02 AM »
what i allways do is put restraunts next to marine animal shows coz the guest are allways hungry after watching a show. :)
i also try to put food courts in the most crowded areas to "slow down the traffic". put food areas in places where guests will want to go to... like a ride or rare animal.

Offline Kacy

• Pooper Scooper
Question About Guests
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2005, 03:17:55 AM »
Yeah, I normally do that. That's why I don't understand why they won't go eat. lol They'll walk right past the food areas and restaurants, when their hunger is in the red, just so they can go to the rides or other buildings. I don't understand that. haha

Offline Typhoon

• Marine Biologist
    • http://s9.invisionfree.com/Zoo_Plaza/index.php?act=idx
Question About Guests
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2005, 03:08:04 PM »
Thats happened to me too. I dont even bother with them.

Offline icepengwyn

• Pooper Scooper
Question About Guests
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2005, 04:30:03 PM »
There seems to be an "attractiveness" to different buildings (or attractions, rides, etc) that may be causing the guests to ignore their own hunger and go to these places. It also happens with some animals. It can also cause overcrowding of guests to these animals or buildings. I find if you put in a highly attractive animal (Panda) or ride (the tiger show seems to do this) you get a large flock of guests in that area until they have had a chance to view it. This can also cause some guests to drop their happiness level due to the overcrowding, or hunger needs. Sometimes you just gotta ride it out!

With some user created animals, the attractivness is set to 100 - which may cause a guest flow imbalance. Using APE I reset them to the range used in the game for similar animals (5 to 50-ish).

Also, check your guests' thoughts as they pass by the restaurant. Some may say "restaurant blah blah is too crowded". There is also a capacity for various buildings. The Lumberjack restaurant won't hold very many compared to the in game one, while the Zoo *** Lodge moves lots of em in and out.

If you have just a few out of a thousand, I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline wolfclan4515

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
Question About Guests
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2005, 04:45:04 PM »
Some user created downloads and hacks can affect the way things work in your zoo.  Do you have any hacks such as the one that makes it so you can move buildings?

Offline Kacy

• Pooper Scooper
Question About Guests
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2005, 06:50:06 PM »
Thanks everyone. :)

I don't have any hacks installed, and the only user created restaurants that I've downloaded is the McDonalds one. I do have the Dairy Queen/Subway food stands too but rarely use them when it's a longer scenario. I rarely use the McDonalds one too. I usually use the Family Restaurant that the game comes with in the scenarios. In the freeform games, I use the McDonalds one instead of food stands to start off with. I like not having to have trash cans all over the place. lol One thing that I have found with the Dairy Queen/Subway stands is that if you put them side by side, your Subway stand will lose money because everyone wants the ice cream. lol I use the DQ stand more than any stand available because I've also found that any guest that eats from it, most of their needs are maxed out afterwards. But even with this, I still have 50 or so hungry guests. The only user created attraction I have is the Adoption Center and I put that at the front of my zoo entrance so that guests can adopt an animal when they get there and not have to worry about it anymore.

Offline mo15

• Pest Control
  • Game Warden
Question About Guests
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2005, 06:23:57 PM »
Odd problem...the guests are just probably really stupid :P

The restaurants are supposed to hold at least 100 or 250 or something guests, so 5 should be enough.

Offline Firehawke

• "Ooh, look---it's a frog!"
  • Game Warden
Question About Guests
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2005, 08:22:38 PM »
I've also noticed that it helps to have a restaurant every 50-100 squares.  Seems like a lot, I know, but it really does help with hungry guests.

Offline Kacy

• Pooper Scooper
Question About Guests
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2005, 10:53:53 PM »
Originally posted by Firehawke@Feb 22 2005, 10:22 PM
I did too until I read somewhere that it holds more. lol *shrugs* I dunno. lol Thanks for everyone's help though. The last one that I played, I only had a few hungry guests. Weird thing was, I layed it out pretty much the same way I have been. I guess the crowd that was in the others were just stupid. hahaha