Author Topic: Fencing  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
Fencing
« on: June 11, 2006, 08:48:09 AM »
Posted by: Firehawke Jul. 30 2004, 10:05 AM
OKay, I've been wanting to use some different fencing, but I know that some animals can jump out or climb out of their exhibits if the wrong type of fencing is used. Is there a list that states which animals can escape out of exhibits using a specific type of fencing (i.e. gorillas can climb over of x, y, and z)???  

Posted by: bielski Jul. 30 2004, 03:04 PM
I don't know if there is an actual list, but I think if you go to http://pixigger.uk.tt/, you will find awhole lot of details including fencing for all official animals.

Hope this helps you on your way Firehawke  

Bielski  

Posted by: Zookreeper Aug. 1 2004, 07:11 PM
In case you haven`t discovered this FH nothing gets out of the invisable fencing. No animal or dino. I like that fact!  

Posted by: Firehawke Aug. 2 2004, 10:04 PM
Yeah, but I don't use IF (or any downloads), but thanks for the tip. And thanks to Bielski for the website!  

Posted by: Maple Aug. 4 2004, 05:38 AM
its quite simple if you think about it, if its a deer/antelope type animal chances are it will jump dog type animals jump as well. Rhinos can break you of a few short fences but I like to use the short wooden fence for them cause its short and looks good in a safari area lus they wont break out. Some animals like primates can climb...if you like the look of a fence but the animal keeps climbing out of it, put a layer of Iron Bar fencing on the inside of your exhibit, It still looks good but the animal wont escape (works if the animal is bashing out too unless its a dino which the iron bar wont hold most of them). Some animals you'd think would get out with a short fence dont for example the bison wont get out of short fencing. Also, the more suitable the exhibit the less likely the animal is to try to escape although this isnt foolproof. If the animal climbs trees (eg. chimps) dont put a tree next to the fence even if the animal cant get past the fence they will climb the tree and jump out (a severe pain in the butt). So, just experiment with it and try different things like moats, rasing/lowering the exhibit and things like that. hope this helps

-wishes this thing had spell check -  

Posted by: Firehawke Aug. 6 2004, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the help! I never thought about an animal climbing out of an exhibit via a tree  I'll have to keep that in mind!  

Posted by: sheila77 Aug. 6 2004, 02:20 PM
The moat trick does work very well. That way you can use just about any fence.  I hardly ever use low fences....thanks for the information on that, Maple. I'm going to try it more often. I thought chimps could escape out of the iron bar fencing, though. I am going to try it and see if it works.  

Posted by: Texgnome1 Aug. 6 2004, 11:38 PM
About the only ones that like to climb out are those darned primates.  I like to use a trick I learned from Orca Master, which is to lower the exhibit elevation. Then you can use the lower fences down in the exhibits, the decorative fences up top, and guests can look in and seems to elevate the happiness. Course, you have to make sure it's low ENOUGH if you do it for the carnivorous dinos or they try to get a snack.

Also, seems to help with the "crowed by too many guests" issue some of the more sensitive animals (like the flamingo) get. Hope this helps!  

Posted by: Firehawke Aug. 14 2004, 10:35 PM
Thanks for all of the tips!!! I'm trying some different stuff with the fencing now, including lowered exhibits. Thanks again for the help!!!  

Posted by: gibberish Aug. 15 2004, 11:00 PM
At some site it had a specific list, but I can't remember where, sorry. Hope everyone else gave you the info you needed.  

Posted by: Crusader Sep. 8 2004, 04:21 AM
The flower method is fool-proof and works on all creatures with no exceptions.  

Posted by: Firehawke Sep. 8 2004, 09:38 AM
I've never thought of flowers  I did just start using the water method that UH has been using for my dino exhibits  I'll have to try the flower method, too  Thanks for the tip!!!  

Posted by: Crusader Sep. 9 2004, 02:32 AM
Do you know what the flower method is?  

Posted by: bielski Sep. 9 2004, 02:35 AM
 Tell us please or show some pics of the flower method. I am very curious  

Posted by: Firehawke Sep. 9 2004, 10:49 AM
QUOTE (Crusader @ Sep 9 2004, 02:32 AM)
Do you know what the flower method is?  

That's where you have flowers along the outside of an an exhibit. At least, that's what I think it is
But, I would like to see some pics of how you use it!!!  

Posted by: Crusader Sep. 10 2004, 01:34 AM
You're right!  

But only use LARGE flower beds!  

Posted by: Firehawke Sep. 10 2004, 10:16 AM
Awesome pic!!! Not only does it keep the animals in, but it also make your zoo look nicer  Thanks for the pic!!! I'll definetly have to try this!!!  

Posted by: Pest Sep. 10 2004, 10:47 AM
I might use that trick! Or improve it...  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 10 2004, 11:50 AM
yes but you have a space between the flower beds and the exhibits - that means its 2 spaces away and guests cannot see in from the path

Posted by: Zookreeper Sep. 10 2004, 02:30 PM
Also be sure to keep the fence clear on the inside so that the maintianence workers can repair the fence. They can not cross the flower beds. If you use fences forever this is not an issue. You can also use the flower beds to trap your zoo staff or keep them from getting to certain areas.  

Posted by: Crusader Sep. 11 2004, 12:52 PM
No I don't!

I use one line of flowers right next to the exhibit fence and put the path right next to the flowers.  

Posted by: Imazamember Sep. 11 2004, 02:52 PM
I think the Flower Method is a good idea. I'v never heard of it?  

Posted by: Crusader Sep. 12 2004, 08:22 AM
Somebody else may have thought of it before me, but to my knowledge, I only just invented it!