Author Topic: A long time ago, not so far far away....  (Read 35835 times)

Offline RedNotDead

• Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin
  • Affiliates
  • Game Warden
A long time ago, not so far far away....
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2006, 11:20:18 PM »
I lurked for ages before i acutally posted - i was so scared of making a mistake LOL.  My first downlaod i got from the site was the PK user scenerio (and of course all those cats).

Eventually I decided to make stuff and got to know people like Texgnome1 and Aussie Koala and through them Jay from ZKL who helped me with coding my first building for ZT1.

Then I was invited to become a Mod but Kes (AK) told me I had to learn to play Canasta to accept.  Ah the good old days of playing canasta with Kes, Frinkyman, Spiderghost and Yellowrose (Hey Tex I never did get a chance to play you).

Then ZT2 came out and i found i could also design for that game so started doing that as well.

there have been ups and downs - highs and lows with the site over the years but the good thing is at the end of the day we are still here and offer people the highest number of QUALITY downloads for both ZT1 and ZT2 and we hope to continue to do so for years to come.

Offline Bep-Boi

• Zookeeper
  • The name's Boi. Bep-Boi.
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2006, 01:06:42 AM »
Well, what can I say. I joined a few months ago after visiting this site for 2-3 years. I bought CC a month after it came out and then came zt2 and it's exp's. Over the time I have seen many downloads every day, seen new topics and posts evryday, and I try to be bigger than a tiny Iota in the zoo tycoon community. Ah, the years, so many changes, so many new Things every day.....

In short........
                                                    :IloveZA:

Offline orangemonkey22

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2006, 03:54:15 AM »
well, when I first got, zoo tycoon 1, I got frustrated and left it alone for a while. A few months later, I started playing it again, and started looking online for a little help. I found the official site, and I also found ZA. I didn't join then, but I was completely fascinated with the downloads. Soon afterwards, I got complete collection. Then, zoo tycoon 2 came out. I wasn't all that interested. Then, Es came out and I bought both of them!Then, AA rolled around and I was happier then ever. I had stopped by this site alot, but was just a lurker. I eventually joined in June. I loved posting in the forums, and I had a whomping average of about 24 posts per day! Then, in July, I told a member there was already a topic like the one he had made. RND caught me, and put me one Mod Preview, and I've been on it ever since, although I'm really sorry for what I did, and would like to be able to post as much as I used to. However, Zoo Admin is probably the best zoo tycoon fansite out there, although there are a lot of other good ones too, and I encourage all guests that are reading this to join.

Offline pepe_starr

• Affiliates
  • Senior Zookeeper
  • ZTG Admin
    • Zoo Tycoon Gold
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2006, 08:57:50 AM »
Well where can I begin :laughing:  My great friend Boblus introduced me to Zoo Tycoon and was already a member of ZA. I joined and for over a year I have had a great time on the ZT Forums.

We decided to make the forum Zoo Tycoon Gold and have had tons of support from ZA especially the staff who I would like to thank so much for their help whilst I've been here, they are great!

I hope ZA have a great 5th anniversary. Great history LadyZK! Very itneresting to hear about the early years of the site. :happy:

Offline Hughesy

• Senior Zookeeper
  • Pretty kitty
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2006, 09:30:35 AM »
:woot: Well were to begin well i used to not own a computer till christmas and i used to run up to the library and  find info on zoo tycoon 2 i lurked around the site gazing at all the pics desperatley looking a computer of my own to buy the game i finally got the game for christmas with the added surprise of es and after i played the game for hours i went back to zoo admin and finally joined. I was searching around the forums and then i found them DOWNLOADS:woot: i was so happy but i didnt know what to do so i downloaded cleesburg tutorial whcih for some reason i have still got lol and i downloaded the indian rhino. I have met so many nioce people on this site like yellowrose who helped me to install zoo tycoon 1 downlaods.But when there is good memorise there is bad and mine is being banned:pinch:  and lets just leave it at that  also rnd and yr were great help when i was setting up my site telling me what i done wrong and yellowrose writing my rules for me  so happy birthday zoo admin and God bless you all:innocent:

Offline Texgnome1

• Old Gnome!
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2006, 10:56:14 AM »
A lot of people already know parts of my story.  I am infamous on the boards here for practical jokes, usually directed at my fellow staff members.  Much to my wife's regret I am the same way in real life.  I bought the game in late 2002 thinking it would be a good way to introduce my son to the computer.  We both fell in love with it!  While doing a random search on the computer for (you guessed it) ZT downloads, I stumbled across the old Tycoon Resource site, and then came across ZA.  I lurked for months, happily sucking up as much download bandwidth as possible.

Then, in August of 2003, I stumbled across a random post in the General Discussion.  Eagle One was running a Fantasy Football league!  Woo hoo!  I joined that day, and my very first post was in that thread.  The rest is history, but I want to thank all of you for the many many fond memories and many more to come.  

We often say that this is a family site.  Most people look at that as ZA is a site that people of all ages can come and find a safe, clean, family oriented place on the internet.  But look a little closer, and you will find that it has a double meaning.  We are all a family here.  Some of my closest friends are here, and I'm sure many members feel the same way.  

Thank you all for your continued support, and just WAIT until you see what we have planned for you next!

Happy Fifth Anniversary Zoo Admin!

Offline Dreamweaver

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2006, 12:41:56 PM »
Wow. I've lurked for many, many years here. Not sure how many, but I finally joined the forums. I think this is a marvelous place to be, and I remember much about this place. I wish I'd joined earlier. D=

Offline dinwrest

• Zookeeper
  • Personal text!Sweet!But it's public...I'M CONFUSED
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2006, 03:59:02 PM »
I jsut found out that I am the 15th oldest member who has posted in the last two months (with over a hundered posts , to weed out the inactive ones). Cool! Its pretty cool to listen to the admins and mods stories of how they go their positions. Maybe I should apply when a slot becomes open ...

Offline Cuddly Panda

• Scientist
  • Boss of Cuddly Panda Films
    • Cuddly Panda Films - See my movies!
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2006, 04:02:01 PM »
Ah, yes it was way back in... '03, yeah, I had just found out about Zoo Tycoon from me best mate Callum, and really wanted the game. We searched EVERY GAME SHOP IN THE SHOPPING MALL - and the last one had Complete Collection. I played Zoo Tycoon for ages at home, and then found the website.

Then - ZOO TYCOON 2!! The release of the sequel passed by with me rushing about for more info.

I was desperate for more information, and after a thourough check of the official site, I moved on to the 'fansites'. I didn't know what they were, but I looked. I ckecked every one, 'Zoo Tycoon ABC' and 'Zoo Tycoon Unlinted' flashed through my mind. Then I saw one site, Zoo Tycoon Download Directory, that seemed amazzing - DOWNLOADS! I searched the site every day and downloaded new stuff, the first being the 'Walking Trashcan' - naturally.

Then - ENDANGERED SPECIES EXPANSION. It was AMAZING! I rushed off to the official site, and found a link - Zoo Admin - that I remember having almost 80% of the downloads I got back then. I looked at it for AGES - seeing all of the information they could offer, and finding some new things like Wildlife Park 2 and Zoo Tycoon 2 downloads. Back then I had no knowledge of the word 'forum', but today it is a quatre of my life. After about two or three months, I brought my dad into my room, showed him the site and said 'Can I join?' He said 'Let me look around first.' I let him. He looked for two minutes, turned around, and said 'Yes.'

And look how far the site has come! Remember when that person (forgot who) found African Adventure at Gamestop? What a laugh! And when the Dino Danger Pack came out?

In short, this means:

HAPPY 5th ANNIVERSARY ZOO ADMIN!! :banned: LOL! :laughing:

Offline Pandawarrior

• Zookeeper
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2006, 04:49:50 PM »
Quote from: csleesburg
Well, you never know, do you.......? :whistling

Does that mean that they might come back on Oct 11 or 13 (sorry I forgot the exact date) and say a word or two?
:feest012: :wildparty :IloveZA: :wildparty :feest012:
Now to my story. My friend had just told me that this amazing game called Zoo Tycoon. Then Within two months I bought Zoo Tycoon and Dino Digs. Then a month later the same friend told me that Marine mania just came out. Then came CC and being the idiot I am I bought it thinking I could only get those cool animals if I bought CC. Then I started etting bored so I wanted downloads and then I found this site I snooped around here for awile and found out about ZT2 and ES and then I felt I had to become a full fleged member.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 04:57:26 PM by Pandawarrior »

Offline Panda King

• Marine Biologist
  • One flaming hot panda!
    • Panda-monium!
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2006, 06:51:59 PM »
*in old man voice* Long ago... in the time before time... when Aussie Koala was a newbie mod... when Red Phoenix still roamed... when we were still using Ikonboard... I was there.

*In older man voice*

Longer ago, I remember when PIXEL was an admin! Good times!

I sorta liked the fourms more back with the ORIGINAL skin, but that'll never happen again...

As some of you know, I'm ZT1ing again! I remember when Xtreme had the 110 page long Show and Tell thread! Almost ALL my inspiration came from him and Firehawke!

I remember whay back when... Prehaps I'll share more tommorow...

Offline Penguino

• Game Warden
  • E Spheniscidae, Spheniscidae
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2006, 07:14:22 PM »
Really? I don't remember that. Were you a lurker back then?

Offline Mngwa

• ZA Designer
  • Zookeeper
    • http://
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2006, 10:15:18 PM »
Pixel? Geez, kind of rings a bell, but I really don't remember that, either, and I lurked for a fair amount of time before I joined. I do remember the one and only Pixigger. Though I don't recall him being an admin. He just sort of helped everybody out with whatever problems they were having, on all the sites, tinkered a lot and was very innovative in the beginning.

Offline lamna

• Senior Zookeeper
    • http://
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2006, 10:08:52 AM »
I rember when i joined. I was searching for cheat for a new found game called zoo tycoon. Ive not looked back since.

Offline Panda King

• Marine Biologist
  • One flaming hot panda!
    • Panda-monium!
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2006, 05:13:31 PM »
Really? I don't remember that. Were you a lurker back then?

Yep. I didn't really want to join. But now I have and I am loving every minute!

But you don't remember what now, me or Pixel? I remember Pixel so well... She was nice. Her custom title was Panda Protector! Good times... I remember when Aussie opened the ZTDD too...

Offline LadyZookeeperNY

• Queen of the Checkerboard Paths!
  • Administrator
  • Game Warden
    • http://hometown.aol.com/ladyslopokes
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2006, 06:39:38 PM »
There were a whole group of us...AK, Lowenfrau, EagleOne, Pixel, Couer D'Lion (CDL for short), Spiderghost, Xtreme, Frinkyman, Zookreeper, ZookeeperMark...gosh so many names from the past. It would be so wonderful to get them all back here sometime during the month to say Hello. I miss them all very much :wavecry:

I joined in November 2002, but like many of you, I lurked for about 9 months before I officially joined. Posting on a forum was a bit intimidating to me---I just came for the downloads, but then I saw answers to questions I had about the game. That made me a daily visitor to see what little quirks or "bugs" the game had.

Unfortunately for the site :woot:  , I also soon discovered the Show & Tell Thread....oh boy was that a mistake.... :whistling

Offline Penguino

• Game Warden
  • E Spheniscidae, Spheniscidae
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2006, 08:15:28 PM »
Quote from: Panda King;143926
Yep. I didn't really want to join. But now I have and I am loving every minute!

But you don't remember what now, me or Pixel? I remember Pixel so well... She was nice. Her custom title was Panda Protector! Good times... I remember when Aussie opened the ZTDD too...

I remember her, but I don't remember whether she was mod or admin when I joined.

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2006, 08:24:17 PM »
Wow you all have been here so long! I've only been here for a little over a year... not too much has changed. I remember being totally scared at first, but it really does feel like a family now and I'm glad to have met so many of you! :IloveZA:

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2006, 09:47:37 PM »
Just to clear something up for you Panda King. Pixel was only a Moderator along with CDL, Aussie Koala and loewenfrau were the Admins that followed Eagle One. This list in my earlier post names the admin staff I believe in the order they took over in but to refresh your memory.

1.  Ogre & Red Phoenix
2.  Eagle One
3.  Loewenfrau
4.  Aussie Koala
5.  Texgnome, Casey & James24
6.  Yellowrose
7.  RedNotDead
8.  Bielski
9.  BluekittySC
10.LadyZookeeperNY
11. Penguino

Also past Moderators include

Pixel
Cour De Lion
Tyto Alba
Spiderghost
Doooot
Zoomama
Frinkyman
Flamethrower
Sypke
Zoohio
Blue Heron

You will also find a whole host of others who have been staff here at ZA that have moved on to create other sites or just become members and then staff at other sites as well.

But I have to add that if not for all the work all of the past staff members have put in to this site, the present staff's job would be much harder. They have all paved the way so this site can be what it is today.

Offline adam1990

• Senior Zookeeper
    • Zoo Tycoon 101
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2006, 03:05:58 PM »
I want to thank all who made Zoo Admin come true including those who run it today!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 03:11:45 PM by adam1990 »

Offline Peacenote

• Peaceful Music Soothes the Savage Soul
  • Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2006, 05:48:31 PM »
I think it is so fun to read about everyone's stories and history here.  I believe I've commented before on what I think is so amazing about this site and community, and that is how it really brings together so many different people.  There's a huge age range of members here AND there are members from all over the world.  I haven't gotten this involved in an online community before or since I've joined ZA, so I suppose I don't really have anything to compare it to, but even my casual driftings through other random forums don't give me nearly the impression of people becoming close and forming friendships like they do here.

Which I guess takes us to my story.  I discovered ZT1 for the Mac a few months before I joined, which was July of 2005, so I got into ZT1 really late!  I really was immediately addicted.  Not one to do things by halves, I spent the entire weekend playing the game, and it was in this weekend I found ZA.  I was looking for a way for the Microsoft downloads to work on a Mac.  I never fully answered my question, but got involved in ZA anyway as I found a wealth of information on things such as how to make guests and animals happy.  I'm a perfectionist and became addicted to learning how to get the HIGHEST suitability and the happiest guests, and so on.  I didn't join right away, and I think I finally joined because I wanted to ask a question.  I was definitely shy about posting at first because I definitely didn't want to say the wrong thing and get yelled at :laughing: , but eventually got the hang of it and got more comfortable.

Due to various reasons that are long and not worth getting into, I ended up having to switch back to the PC platform, and as soon as I got a PC I got ZT2 and became addicted to that as well.  I became much more active in the forums, and was honored and excited when I eventually got invited to be a Mod and a member of the Design Team.  And although I haven't been here that long, compared to some, I have been around long enough to see the release of ES, AA, DD, and soon MM2!  And I hope to be around for much longer and make many more friends.

I definitely will echo the sentiment: Happy Anniversary ZA!!!  :clapping: :juggle:

Offline germanwolf

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
  • Captian Jack is back
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2006, 06:09:20 PM »
I first joined in the spring. I remeber looking around the internet for downloads, when I found Zoo Admin and it's amazing downloads. I just downloaded alot for a while, and about 1 month later I decided to join. I remember being terrified at first that I would do something wrong and get expelled! But now I love it and I never imagined how may nice people there would be here! I don't even remember what I did before Zoo Admin! (Besides play computer games, lol) I would even be way over senior zookepper right now, but I was at a place in the summer for 3 months with no computer! So you can inagine how i am trying to make up for all those 'missed' posts! :laughing:

EDIT: Does that make sense? Sometimes I get English mixed up... like in what order the words go..

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2006, 08:37:21 PM »
Yup! You said it just right! :happy:

Which reminded me of another thing I love... how we have people from all over the world coming together! I love the ZA member map and it's so cool how we have people from all over coming together. It may be hard to communicate sometimes, but it's so awsome and find it very cool that I get to be a part of that :happy:

Offline Bep-Boi

• Zookeeper
  • The name's Boi. Bep-Boi.
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2006, 09:18:47 PM »
All these stories are so interesting, and I just remembered That the Eagle One is Captain Falcon's racer :laughing:
BTW Penguinman, I lost the link for the member map. Can you pm me it, PM?

Back on topic,:IloveZA:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 09:25:17 PM by Bep-Boi »

Offline Budgielover101

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2006, 09:32:29 PM »
The link for the map is on the ZA Member Map thread :original: but anyway,

I love reading all these stories! they are all very interesting, mine isn't really. I think I started just briefly looking at the site close to the end of last year from the link at the main zoo tycooon site, then I saw downloads and i was just getting tons of them from here and a few other sites, then at the beginning of this year sometime I started searching the forums and saw what you all talked about, like wishlist for future expasions (I was especially interested in the Avians one!!) and saw how friendly everyone was, and all the great stuff you made! which I though i would never be able to do but hey i made a pony :rolleyes: (with a LOT of help) but i wouldn't have been able to make it without joining. And have learnt do do objects fairly well, dowloaded heaps of great stuff! and got to be here for the 5th anniversary!

~*Happy 5th Zoo Admin!*~