Author Topic: A long time ago, not so far far away....  (Read 35897 times)

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
A long time ago, not so far far away....
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2006, 05:34:19 AM »
Awsome! Thanks so much Eagle One for stopping by! It's fun to learn a bit of history since I havn't been here too long either! :original:

Offline Budgielover101

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2006, 12:37:27 AM »
Cool, it is nice to have more history on ZA, and to see that a few retired ZA admins are back to say hello :happy:

Offline Penguino

• Game Warden
  • E Spheniscidae, Spheniscidae
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2006, 01:12:06 AM »
Quote from: legomannate;145922
Yeah, it says he hasn't been active since the 70's:laughing:

Yes, it was a quirk that occured when we switched the forum software.

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2006, 04:34:24 AM »
Thank you so much for stopping by, Eagle One! As everyone has stated, it's so nice to hear about the history of our favorite site, as well as hear from one of the legends :lolol: We appreciate so much you coming here and speaking with us!

Offline Flames The Dragon

• Senior Zookeeper
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2006, 03:25:08 PM »
Quote from: Eagle One;145925
Yes you have the answer  

the answer to the orginal colors was brown and yellow

the same color of the logo on this site in the top left cornor

ahh I miss those colors for reference I was there:ninja: And thanks for coming by Eagle One

Offline pepe_starr

• Affiliates
  • Senior Zookeeper
  • ZTG Admin
    • Zoo Tycoon Gold
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2006, 03:19:36 AM »
Nice to see you back Eagle One! I'm sure you are glad to see how much ZA has grown. :happy:

Offline flamethrower

• Game Warden
    • http://www.pftq.com
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2006, 12:50:18 AM »
Hey - just thought I'd drop by. :)

I see a few familiar faces, but the site has changed alot. :lol:

I just realized my sig no longer works.  I've got my own website now, and uploaded the stuff there.  Hope it brings back memories for some of ya. :D It sure does for me.

Maybe we can start a collection for saved pages/topics from long time ago - I wouldn't mind storing them.  Could be like our own wayback machine :p

I also have some of the Steve Irwin stories we used to make in Random Insanity as well... not sure if it's appropriate atm though.

Offline Firehawke

• "Ooh, look---it's a frog!"
  • Game Warden
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2006, 10:21:53 PM »
I joined ZA a little more than 3 years ago after I downloaded the trial version of ZT and fell in love with the game!  I've enjoyed the friends that I have made over the past few years, especially LadyZ, Xtreme, Tigeress_10, and Cheeky Tutti.  And there are certainly those who are missed, whether they have left the site for one reason or another or they are no longer with us (RustyYoda is still missed!).  ZA is a great place!!!  And thanks to all of those who make it great---all of the members!

Offline kiwibuddy

• Marine Biologist
  • Takahe
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2006, 08:12:16 PM »
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, Nabu was under attack... wait no...
I only joined ZA a year ago. (I'm still a freshie. : :P : ) And I had never been on forums before. I originally only joined so I could see the animals for ES. (Don't hurt me.) But I started looking around more and decided to stay. My first post was in the Wildlife Park 2 topic, and I remember typing it. :laughing: I also remember show and tell, and posting pics of my very first completed zoo. (Actually, only completed zoo. :laughing: ) I always thought I was the only person to have played ZT. But this site made me feel not so lonely. :whistling But this is an excellent site with kind, friendly people. :IloveZA:
Now some ZT history. I first heard of ZT when my bro. told me about it in a video game magazine. I bought it on the very day it came out. My life changed forever. (Insert cheesy dramatic music) Then I got DD, MM, CC, ZT2, ES, AA, DD, and plan to get got MM! That's pretty much it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 08:59:52 PM by kiwibuddy »

Offline eye_of_the_tiger

• Zookeeper
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2006, 12:19:58 PM »
i first got zt as a christmas present, but i didnt have a computer so i just ignored it for a while. then i happend to see the cc in a store, and i thought, cool dinos and whales! so i bought it even though i still didnt have a computer.: :P : but then i went to my dads house and he does have a computer. so i got to play zt for the first time. my first exhibit was the hammerheads. so i played it a lot while i was there. but then i came home and i didnt get to play it for a while and i lost interest. but then the very same person that got me zt when i didnt have a computer got one for my grandma in 2005. then i noticed zt2 and es in a store and thought "hmmm this is awesome, but i want to find out more. and that is what led me here. i got zt2 and es at the same time. and i frequented the site ever since. i spent the crazy days waiting for aa and dd and mm reading everything that was ever posted. for some very stupid reason i never registered :loony: but i decided to on the 5th anniversary.:party5: and then i was lucky enough to get mm on the 19th.:woot:

Offline Spiderghost

• Honoriam Emeritus-Zoolander Forever!
  • Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
    • http://
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2006, 05:55:41 PM »
I first stumbled upon this site after downloading the trial version four years ago. I lurked in the corners for a while at first not feeling I had anything to contribute when I noticed something odd about this site compared to others. Everyone here was more of a family and that is exactly what prompted me to join and make my first post. I can see that nothing has changed only the family has gotten bigger.

Most of the original mods/admin/members have since moved on but I will never forget what a big influence they were to all of the rookies myself included. I know I will not remember all of them but the "Pioneers of ZA" that influenced me the most were Loewenfrau, Aussie Koala, Eagle One, Quivaz and Pixigger. They helped me find my own style and from there the snowball grew and grew as I continue even now to learn from new members.

Now I look at the site it is obvious why this place is so much above all others, it stands on the shoulders of everyone that has contributed from the start to now. I guess that is what families do, I know I'm not the only one that considers everyone here part of an extended family.

Great job guys with the site.

:IloveZA:

Offline Eagle One

• Game Warden
    • http://eagleonenet.com/ztempire/
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2006, 06:48:35 PM »
Yes Great Job on the site  

Good to see ya around here Spiderghost

Offline planetkitty

• ZA Designer
  • Zookeeper
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2006, 06:16:19 AM »
Time to add my story i guess. I joined ZA along time ago, don't remember when, but it was back in the days of eagle one, AK, and Frogman. Like others here, I sonn got into designing and creating things for zt1. Still trying to figure out zt2. MArkbell and some others helped on some of my projects. I became a designer when I kept having problems with my own site. I was a mod very briefly after Frogman left. Don't play much anymore as I have a full time job, volunteer activities, my own pets, and school all going on at once. but for those of you who miss my stuff, I have several projects planned and a few either done or almost done, just waiting on time to finish them and submit.

Offline legomannate

• Raptor Pack
  • Zookeeper
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2006, 08:06:31 AM »
Welcome back planetkitty, I remember having many of your downloads before I got CC and all of them had to be deleted:(
I have been a member for just under a year joining two days before New Years Day, I got bored of ZT and thought if only there was a site that had downloads I found a few, but ZA had the most!! I tried to download some stuff, but it said that I had to register, it took me two months to decide to register. At first all I did was download, but one day I found the download link I was using didn'thave any new downloads in a while.( I had downloaded a Ton) Then I found the Forums!! Here I had found the greatest website ever I didn't post that much at first then I soon posted like crazy. I soon found APE and made many donloads for myself and started submitting them. Then I got ZT:CC and had to get rid of all my downloads and then I found the new place to get downloads.
That is my story.:IloveZA: :IloveZA: :IloveZA:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 08:08:42 AM by legomannate »

Offline Supercrochunter 2.0

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2006, 08:21:45 PM »
Quote from: flamethrower;147211
I also have some of the Steve Irwin stories we used to make in Random Insanity as well... not sure if it's appropriate atm though.

The most fun I had on any forum. Too bad we can't do that here anymore(because the increased amount of rules and it may not be proper with all that hass happened in the last few weeks)

Offline Sideshow Bob

• Scientist
    • http://www.samason.com
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2006, 12:35:19 PM »
Whey!  Look at all the old faces here!  I'm glad I thought to stop by today! :thumbsup:

So yeah, I started coming to Zoo Admin around 2004ish I belive.  I must say this is one of the best online communities out there and it is very good at making people feel welcome and safe.

I remember Spiderghost's and Xtreme made amazing zoos, and a whole horde of young designers like RSN and And 1, as well as the veterans like Quivaz and Pixigger who pioneered the whole custom content thing.

Then ZT2 came out and everyone worried about how easy it would be to edit.  In the days of my old skool work we were doing fairly primitive guesswork, but it's good to see how many designers have taken up creating ZT2 content.

:IloveZA:

Offline Penguino

• Game Warden
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2006, 06:01:52 PM »
Hi there, Sideshow Bob!

Offline Sideshow Bob

• Scientist
    • http://www.samason.com
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2006, 12:19:29 PM »
Hey Penguino!  You're an admin now...awesome!

Offline Penguino

• Game Warden
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2006, 06:20:38 PM »
Assistant Admin, if you want to get technical. :lolol:

Offline frinkyman

• Copa Cabana
  • Marine Biologist
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2006, 12:00:49 PM »
Hello all and a Happy 5th anniversary to everyone.  The site looks great, I like the new look.  I am glad to see that things are moving forward.  I would like to say that I have been playing ZT2 but just can not get into it, I will hopefully give it another shot when I find the time.  The MM2 looks great, that might be what brings me back.  I made a lot of friends here (if you are reading this you know who you are :original: ) and the good times spilled over to the canasta table, those were the days.  I will be stopping by more often now as my youngest is finally sleeping through the night.  Thanks for the memmories and keep up the good work.
Frinkyman:original:

ps: tonight I will be on the prowl as the Croc Hunter and my three year old is going to be a croc.  He loves the show and this will be a nice tribute to Steve.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 12:07:49 PM by frinkyman »

Offline Penguino

• Game Warden
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2006, 07:00:29 PM »
Welcome back, Frinky!

Offline germanwolf

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
  • Captian Jack is back
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2006, 08:59:18 PM »
wow, it is cool meeting all these 'old' people! I feel so.... new. : :P :

Offline africanwilddog

• Senior Zookeeper
  • Mbwa Mwitu
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2006, 08:43:40 AM »
Yeah it is cool to meet all these old people. Makes us feel like we were all just born..

I dont have much of a story to tell, considering I just joined this year, but anyways here goes. I borrowed ZT2 from a cousin and started playing last year. He never asked for it back so I didnt even mention it (evil me) and kept playing until one day in Jan I decided that I would try the links on the Zt2 website links page.
Zookapi sounded the coolest so I tried that first. Then I discovered that people were MAKING new animals! I remember I literally jumped because I thought that meant every single animal could be made. I tried all the other links. And stupid me tried ZA last even though it was on the top. I found the greatest stuff here at ZA. And the greatest members. I think the total time I've spent on ZA is double the time I've spent playing ZT2. ZA's given us all a lot for ZT2 and beyond, and without this site I dont think I would still be playing ZT2 anymore.
My most memorable ZA moment... when they first announced AA. It was like WOW! Not possible! Ethiopian Wolves! Meerkats! MM2! That time was ZA's prime since I've been here, with almost all the members on at any time. Since then I've been posting a lot, tried my hand at coding (unsuccesful), meshing (worse) and reskinning (dont ask), got into some trouble which I sure will try not to get into again, and seen a site that first looked scary to me become like an Internet exhibit shelter.

Offline James 24

• Game Warden
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2006, 09:44:00 AM »
Hi guys,

nice to read through your posts, bringing back memories.

Yeah, might as well add my memories.

Joined the ZT community back in dec 01 (yes I am one of the oldies, well not in age (see profile)). At the ZT resource, moved to ZA 3 months later and didn't look back. Met some great people, Aussie Koala and Loewenfrau who i considered my mentors at the time lol. Became a mod here early 2003 which was great fun :)

Don't know how many of you would remember the newsletter now but i had great fun editing that, hope you guys enjoyed it :)

And ofcourse there is Canasta- my other love in this community. What was my name? Canasta Shark I believe. Good times.

That basically sums it up :)

Cheers,

James24

Offline Panda King

• Marine Biologist
  • One flaming hot panda!
    • Panda-monium!
« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2006, 04:53:33 PM »
YAY! Hi Frinky! You don't remember me, but I loved your zoos! You must zoo again! They were awesome!

~PK~