Author Topic: The Turtlestork Experience  (Read 24053 times)

Offline Howling Shadow Wolf

• Snow Tigers
  • Zookeeper
    • http://
The Turtlestork Experience
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2006, 12:01:52 PM »
X-Large Exhibit. Arctic Wolf/Polar Bear/Kodiak Bear/Arctic Fox mix.

Tundra,with a tiny bit of Boreal in it. 1 red cedar,1 other Boreal tree (not seqoia,tamarack or spruce),1 leafless maple tree(comes in tundra pack),and some tundra rocks. 2 Large Caves,2 stuffed prey dummies,5 Beef Shanks,4 Bones,1 swinging Ice-Toy thingie,and 1 large Ice-Floe.

Wolves: 1 male,1 Female.Male: Snowolf. Female: Shadikka.
P.Bears: 1 male,2 Females.Male: Reko.Females: Frayne,Northern Star
K.Bears: 1 Male,1 Female.Male: Bart.Female: Grizz.
Foxes: 1 Male,2 Females. Male: Slik.Females: Arctika,Snowflake

Thanks!

PS: Are we allowed more than 1 request?

koala king

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2006, 12:04:10 PM »
Can't wait for some pics! Hope they go well!

Offline TurtleStork

• Zookeeper
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2006, 12:53:44 PM »
Koala king, you already requested them in the scrub mixed exhibit.

Shadow Wolf, i'll get right on it.

koala king

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2006, 02:00:42 PM »
I meant komodo dragons. :grrr  :grrr  :grrr  :grrr  :grrr

Offline TurtleStork

• Zookeeper
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2006, 01:25:26 PM »
The Experience Starts here!

Welcome to the Turtlestork Experience. All Week long atnigh unless something comes up. We will not, I repeat, not, play reruns.

The Turtlestork Experience is a Show about one man's quest for the rarest species on Earth. Our first Episode will air tonight at night. This episode is a Quest in SE asia for one of the rarest cat species on Earth. Along the way we find another rare species accidentally and other more common species.

And before he says it, Otusasio, i did copy you sort of.

The Quest for The Clouded Cat

Our quest starts in a clump of rainforest said to have an unknown population of clouded leopards, a very rare cat on this continent. As we begin our journey, we enter a small canyon and i see a small herd of Lowland Anoas. They seem to be grazing and don't appear to be very alert. I sneak in close enough to take a picture before sneaking around the canyon. The lowland anoa has very sharp horns, so i was pretty lucky they were as care free as they were. They probably have never seen humans before this day. Even if they had come towards me i would be able to head them off due to their clumsy gait.

This quest Got wiped out due to forum changes! will eventually re upload the pics!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 12:51:44 PM by TurtleStork »

Offline TurtleStork

• Zookeeper
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2006, 04:08:41 PM »
Then I saw a bear on the opposite side of the canyon. Careful of the anoas behind me, I snuck in close enough, and with the help of my camera zoom, took this great picture. A sloth bear it was. This one wasn't as hairy as most. It must have been only a subadult. Although it has an insect based diet, the sloth bear can be very dangerous.

Offline TurtleStork

• Zookeeper
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2006, 04:12:05 PM »
Then i saw this sight. I had my camera man zoom in close as we watched from afar. A large, older male Bengal tiger was fighting the sloth bear. These two compete for food. although the sloth bear is mostly insectivorous,it still eats some large animals. The wise male drove the inexpierenced bear away with little fighting.

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2006, 04:16:41 PM »
Very cool! It's funny how so many Animal Planet shows make their way into show and tell, but its great! Keep it up.

Offline Animalover44

• Raptor Pack
  • Senior Zookeeper
    • ZooMania
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2006, 04:18:19 PM »
I was going to say the same thing Penguinman. Interesting play on the Jeff Corwin Experience. :lol

Offline TurtleStork

• Zookeeper
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2006, 04:18:41 PM »
Then i followed the male. I had time to find the leopards, i might as well check out the other native wildlife. The male might have been very old by his ppearance, meaning he probably wasn't in his own territory, so he might lead me to other tigers. I did follow the large animal to a lush valley, almost totally locked by trees. He studied the valley from the rim, just as i did. There, right in the valley, was three tigers, but amazingly there was two white tigers. The white tiger is so rare in the wild that they barely ever are seen. This was an exciting find. After jotting down some notes in my journal, i turned to go away.

Offline TurtleStork

• Zookeeper
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2006, 04:22:02 PM »
The last i saw of the old male was him leaving the forest going into the clearing on the edge of it. He was heading towards the other forest.

Offline TurtleStork

• Zookeeper
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2006, 04:24:44 PM »
Then i found myself on a plateau full of gibbons. This swinging ape is odd in many ways, including the fact it has no thumb. Here there was crested, white-handed, and another species i don't remeber.

Offline TurtleStork

• Zookeeper
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2006, 04:26:02 PM »
Then i saw an elderly orangutan. These herbivorous apes are very endangered due to the pet trade.

Offline TurtleStork

• Zookeeper
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2006, 04:28:14 PM »
Then i saw this herd of Javan Rhinos. This was an amazing find on the edge of the forest. This herd was breeding, too, so i jotted down some more notes in my notebook and walked on, trying to disturb them as little as possible.

Offline TurtleStork

• Zookeeper
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2006, 04:30:26 PM »
Then as i re-entered the forest, i saw the saola, with its beautiful face markings. I had my camerman zoom in to show these markings. These are one of the last large mammals to be documented. They were only found in the 1980's!

Offline TurtleStork

• Zookeeper
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2006, 04:33:50 PM »
Next i went back to the site i saw the sloth bear to see if i could snap a few more pics, but a more dense area of trees distracted me. As i got closer, i saw a saola running. That is when i saw what we were looking for. A pair of clouded leopards. The female looked in heat, so hopefulyy they produce some cubs to support the dwindling wild population.

Offline TurtleStork

• Zookeeper
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2006, 04:36:30 PM »
As i was exiting the canyon, the female leopard followed me. She stopped at the end of the canyon and watched me leave. The look in her eyes was unlike any other. What a great way to end the experience. I will see you next time on the Turtlestork experience where we will be exploring the american desert.

koala king

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2006, 06:21:10 PM »
Great job! I would never guess that this is what it would be like!

Offline TurtleStork

• Zookeeper
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2006, 03:52:16 AM »
sorry i forgot to put on the new episode. I had internet troubl and won't be able to add it until tommorrow.

koala king

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2006, 06:03:03 AM »
Oh. Can't wait!

Offline TurtleStork

• Zookeeper
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2006, 07:26:11 AM »
Ok, sorry to keep you waiting but, here goes...

Wolf of the Deserted Frontier

Ok, i was dropped of somewhere on the border of Arizona, California, and Mexico. This desert is supposed to be home to one of the most rare canids on Earth, the Mexican gray wolf. A pack of them was spotted a week ago, but they were unable to take any observations since they were in a helicopter. Now they sent me out to find where the wolves are and photograph them. I'll be sent out a few more times in order to keep finding exactly how they are migrating. They were spotted near the Lost Canyon, so i decided to make my way over there. On the way, i stumbled upon a herd of Wild burros. These animals are just like their northern cousin, the mustang, in the sense that they are descended from animals that had escaped when the first american settlers came to America.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 04:23:03 PM by TurtleStork »

Offline TurtleStork

• Zookeeper
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2006, 04:35:52 PM »
As I went past the grazing herd, i spotted a grazing desert tortoise. After following the animal for some time, i took this beautiful picture of the tortoise with it's magnificent shell showing in the sun. Right then it was eating a delicacy, prickly pear cactus.

Offline TurtleStork

• Zookeeper
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2006, 04:37:08 PM »
Here i saw a spring hare that seemed to be tense by some other animal in the area. After taking this defensive posture, i took its picture and left.

Offline TurtleStork

• Zookeeper
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2006, 04:39:51 PM »
when I saw this tree, I swore I could make out some animal laying in front of it. I slowly approached, as i knew these parts were known for pumas, which this animal very well could be.

Offline turtleman2351

• Zookeeper
  • Mr. Doesn't post a lot.
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2006, 04:42:01 PM »
Wow. Where'd you find that spring hare? That would be so nice if someone made it availble for download like the bullfrog.