Author Topic: Shen's Little Zoo  (Read 10151 times)

Offline RhinoRapter

• Zookeeper
    • Rhino Gaming
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2006, 01:52:10 PM »
that fox exibit is wonderful

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
  • made in a factory and from a special kind of metal
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 11:31:06 AM »
Sorry folks, real life has dealt me a bad deal and university work is starting to pile up, so no ZT2 for a while. :(  I'd appreciate if this could be locked.

Offline Wild One

• Zookeeper
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2006, 12:02:45 PM »
Aww man, I liked your zoos too, I hope you an get over the hurdle. : :( :

Offline Birdman

• Zookeeper
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2006, 12:31:03 PM »
Your zoos are great. I hope you can let us see more of it.

Offline Rosinas Cat

• Feline Friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Cool Cat
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2006, 12:34:42 PM »
Closed at Shen's request. Hope to see you building again soon, Shen. Meanwhile hope the uni work goes ok. :thumbsup:

:s_closed:

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2007, 05:44:06 PM »
Hah!  I am back and building again! :)  I got bored with the Little Zoo, and since I have MM2 and a whole bunch of essays to write spare time I've been playing around for the last couple of days - heavily inspired by the two wonderful zoo builders Sheltiefan and Zoohio! :wub:

So we start off at the zoo entrance, and you can hear the sound of sloshing waves and rushing water.  Looking to your right, you can see a waterfall pouring into a large pool, and the splash of an animal diving into the water from the central island.

You proceed towards the elevated path that leads towards an arial view of this exhibit, and from this vantage point you can see turtles resting on the island, and also the head of a barking sealion.  The two species seem to happily co-exist together, using both the central island and a false floating island to rest on.  The sealions are loud and playful, a stark contrast to the somewhat slow moving and silent turtles.  

Turning around, you look back the way you came from, down the raised path to the fountain marking the central hub of this area of the zoo.  Down on ground level next to the lake enclosure are the Mongolian Wild Asses, who seem happy and content in their lush exhibit.  They spend a lot of time foraging amongst the foliage.  Looking at the path you walked down, you see a nice gazebo surrounded by trees to rest in, and decide to pass that and begin your exploration of the left hand side of the zoo.  

You come across a fenced in area, again surrounded by trees and through the entrance you spy the bright aquamarine of reef water.  Inside the fencing, it seems to contain a medium sized pool with easy accessability to guests.  After sitting on the benches for a while, you see why the pool is open to viewing.  The manta rays frequently breach the surface, and the exhibit is designed so that guests can actually reach in and touch the skins of these magnificent gliders.

I think that's quite enough for now, more later ;)

Offline Animalover44

• Raptor Pack
  • Senior Zookeeper
    • ZooMania
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2007, 05:51:46 PM »
Those are some very colorful pictures. I love the manta ray pool idea!

Offline badisbadis101

• Senior Zookeeper
    • My Projects
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2007, 05:53:35 PM »
that fence with the holes is awesome-will you submit it?

Offline Budgielover101

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2007, 05:59:35 PM »
I love the zoo shen! And the manta pool :wub:

Offline Panda King

• Marine Biologist
  • One flaming hot panda!
    • Panda-monium!
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2007, 06:24:40 PM »
The Manta Pool idea is AWESOME!

Offline Rosinas Cat

• Feline Friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Cool Cat
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2007, 10:35:59 PM »
Great new pics, Shen. Its really nice to see you building again. :thumbsup:  I love the manta ray fence - great work!

And if you would like to change the name of your thread, now that you've moved on from the lovely little zoo, just let me know! : :) :
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 10:38:30 PM by Rosinas Cat »

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2007, 11:08:59 PM »
I have to concur...the little manta pool is an AMAZING idea!!! It looks great!

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2007, 01:21:34 PM »
Thanks everyone, and yes I will submit the fence but anything you see of mine that I haven't released should really be discussed in my Current Projects thread, this is about the zoo - not my fences XD

On the opposite side of the path from the manta pool, you see a large open faced glass wall, a little away from the main path.  The glass wall gives you an uninterrupted view of inside the exhibit, which seems to be themed like a lush shallow sea.  Inside, a pair of gentle manatees swim inside together, moving so gracefully despite their size, and browsing on the seafloor vegetation.  

Across from the manatees is a small rainforest exhibit, containing the small and beautifully patterned fanaloka.  These small critters seem quite content in their leafy enclosure, and their camouflage is fantastic to look at.

Along from the fanaloka is a glass window guarded by two rhino topiaries, which you walk past to view what is inside.  A male Indian Elephant wades through a pool, trumpeting to others further into the enclosure.  The wading elephant is soon joined by his mate and the two elephants seem to really enjoy the water.  Also in this large mixed exhibit are a pair of white rhinos, and a pair of gharials whose carnivorous presence does not seem to bother the large herbivores.  Turning around, you head up the elevated path, and see the overview of the scrubland exhibit.  The elephants raise their trunks and call to you!

I'd like to say a huge thank you to all the designers here at ZA who's wonderful downloads I use time and time again! :D

Offline Jaguar

• Zookeeper
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2007, 02:49:56 PM »
WOW! Fantastic pictures Shen! I like the amount of detail you put in your zoos!

Offline Budgielover101

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2007, 04:33:38 PM »
I heart your zoos shen :wub: and I love the elephant calling picture

Offline sheltiefan

• Beware of parrot
  • Senior Zookeeper
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2007, 04:42:52 PM »
Wow Shen! I'm amazed at the the detail you put into the viewing area. Mine are always so dull.

Offline badisbadis101

• Senior Zookeeper
    • My Projects
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2007, 05:03:51 PM »
oh, sorry

your soo is awesome though!

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2007, 02:31:32 PM »
More zoo, more zoo, more zoo for you :)

First of all, you decend back down the path from the scrubland exhibit and turn left, facing down a path towards a spacious food court.    There is plenty of shaded seating around a central fountain, and all the kiosks are tucked away at the back.  Opposite the food court, a large tank can be seen, and you move closer to see what it contains.

This amazonian tank is home to two species - the tucuxi dolphin and yellow spotted river turtles.  The tucuxi are incredibly friendly, and get up very close and personal indeed!  You are lucky enough to catch their feeding time, and watch them chase each other around after scraps of fish.  

Returning to the other side of the zoo, you see a large exhibit containing a waterfall.  A pair of beautifully marked black leopards stalk around, drinking from the waterfall churned pool.  

If you're interested, here is the current view of the zoo from above, but LARGE IMAGE warning.  As you can see there will be more soon, I'm just a bit busy to be taking photos right now :whistling

Offline Nique

• Just Nique... nothin' fancy
  • Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2007, 03:01:12 PM »
:surprise: Wow, Shen - that is one of the most gorgeous and creative zoos I've seen! It is amazing up close but even the arial photo is out of this world!! Great job.

Offline Budgielover101

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2007, 03:31:26 PM »
:surprise: I'm speechless, I love the zoo, and especially like that close-up pic of the Tucuxi!! :wub:

Offline Animalover44

• Raptor Pack
  • Senior Zookeeper
    • ZooMania
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2007, 04:23:53 PM »
This is one awesome zoo! Keep Building Shen!

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2007, 04:48:15 PM »
Shen.... :worthy: This is simply AMAZING. Your attention to detail...omg, I don't even know what to say! lol

Offline RhinoRapter

• Zookeeper
    • Rhino Gaming
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2007, 06:02:31 PM »
OmgWow you are incredable i have seen alot of nice zoos in my days here but woooow yours are the best by far:surprise: :woot: :specool: :thumbsup: :woot: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise:

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2007, 03:31:02 AM »
Thank you all so very much :)

To the right of the black leopards is an elevated path that takes you across the river to an isolated island.  This part of the zoo has a mountainous feel, with sharp grey rock breaking through the sandy grass that prevails throughout much of the zoo.  The left hand exhibit contains a small gelada colony, which spend their time foraging on the ground and munching on grass.  The larger exhibit to the right contains fjordland ponies, which whinny and call to each other as they trot around the grasses.  They also share their enclosure with another European animal, the ibex, which headbutt each other playfully.  The hilly nature of the exhibits mean that the animals are constantly popping in and out of view.

Sorry it's a bit of a small update this time, but I'll have more soon, don't worry :)

Offline world

• Zookeeper
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2007, 08:29:00 AM »
:surprise: Woah..that zoo is awesome Shen!I love all the foliage,the scenery,and especially the exhibits! The dolphin tank has got to be my favorite so far!:surprise: