Author Topic: problems downloading items  (Read 1708 times)

Offline jasper49

• Pooper Scooper
problems downloading items
« on: December 01, 2006, 01:37:41 PM »
I have been trying to download some new buildings and items. I have been having trouble and when I go to open the file to then put it in my updates folder I get this messgae: The Compressed(zipped) folder is invalid or corrupted
any help to fix this will be appreciated.

Offline nrg800

• Zookeeper
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 01:41:22 PM »
I sometimes get that to, but with zoo tycoon 2.

Offline Bielski

• The Guardian
  • Game Warden
  • Ooooooh Noooooo!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 01:49:08 PM »
Please try downloading the items again. We have been having traffic problems lately, maybe the files got corrupted in the transfer.

Offline nrg800

• Zookeeper
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 01:53:49 PM »
Oh thanks.

Offline jasper49

• Pooper Scooper
need more help
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 06:43:54 AM »
I need some more help on this from some technical wizards. I have downloaded lots of items for zoo tycoon 1 over a couple of years. Now ..unless the file is tiny...just about all atempts to download fail. I tried early in the day when things are quieter and it makes no difference. I just tried to download the "Black Pearl" ship which has had lots of successful downloads and mine failed after about 30 seconds and I always get the same message...Compressed(zipped) folder is invalid or corrupted
Also, I have successfull downloaded the 5th anniversary bench and table ,apparently, but they do not show up when I play a game. Where are the files as I have saved them in the same updates file that all my other extras are in? Thanks in advance.

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 12:00:32 PM »
If you have any download accelerator software running this can cause problems with files. Be sure to disable any kind of browser or download accelerator before you attempt to download. After this has been disabled try again and you should have a successful file transfer.

If you are not using any of these then  am sorry I don't know what to tell you. I have a slow dialup connection at home as well. It takes a while to get a file and sometimes it times out but I have no problems for the most part.

Offline Jay

• Zookeeper
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 11:14:10 PM »
The download system here was changed earlier in the year. My understanding is that the newer system has more security in it. Unfortunately, it has two related problems. Once it starts downloading, it wants no interruptions. If it gets even a fraction of a second interruption, it will stop. The second problem is that, when it stops, it sends a "completed" message instead of sending an "interruption" message. So it looks like the download was successful until one tries to look at the ".zip" file, which is corrupted because it is incomplete. I have seen the problem with both dialup and broadband. But the faster it can go, the better the chance that the download will succeed. You do not want any other programs running while the download occurs. Also, you do not want to use the computer for anything else until the download finishes. Unfortunately, the interruptions can be at the ISP level. But that is not usually the case. Even if there appears to be nothing else running, MS Windows will sometimes interrupt to do other things. So it can sometimes take multiple attempts at downloading.

As for the Anniversary Bench, that is for Zoo Tycoon 2. I do not know if you are trying to install that into Zoo Tycoon 1.

Offline jasper49

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 06:02:06 AM »
thanks zookeeper and the warden...It sounds very much like what you are saying zookeeper. Unfortunately I have a slow dial up speed modem and cannot get high speed where I live. In the background...loading at a snails pace has been a windows update that has taken days to load,..so that could very well be interfering. I also on ocassion have been doing other things at the same time as trying to load something from the zoo. I will try again when as far as I know nothing else is going on. I did not realise the bences were for zoo tycoon 2. I have it also but I still like zoo tycoon 1 best.