Author Topic: Not Sure Where This Belongs  (Read 5187 times)

Offline CatsMeowCentral

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://catsmeowcentral.com
Not Sure Where This Belongs
« on: April 19, 2005, 11:00:39 AM »
:sad    :sad   :sad   :sad   :sad   :sad  
Somehow, when I downloaded (not yet installed) some stuff I wanted to check out (one at a time), my system files became corrupted. If I click the Start button, I crash. If I click "My Documents" I crash. If I go into the Internet, I crash. (BTW, I'm using my local library computer to write this since I still can't get back online.) Despite everything I could do (starting with deleting all ZA downloads) the only way to fix the problem was to reformat the hard drive. This has happened before. I thought it was a fluke. . I'm tired of reformating and yet I love the Shark Zoo I'm in the middle of creating. Anyone know what's happening?

A very unhappy

Cats' Meow.  

PS: I'd use a crying smilie but there isn't one!  :sad  :sad  :sad  :sad  :sad  :sad  :sad

please do not put references to sites that are against forum rules.  thank you

Offline Texgnome1

• Old Gnome!
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 08:13:18 PM »
Cats, is it the same downloads that are causing the problem?  There are several issues that could be causing this.  One may be the downloads themselves.  If there are the same ones, I can review to make sure the files aren't corrupt.  If you have a LOT of downloads, you may be over the limit.  But it sounds from your description that the download issue may just be coincidence.  I wonder if you do not have some type of virus causing the crash.  Also, I do know that there are compatibility issues with downloads here and some at other sites.  But need a little more info in order to address properly.

Offline CatsMeowCentral

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://catsmeowcentral.com
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 04:04:32 AM »
It's not a virus. I know that. Had to reformat my hard drive so I'm starting from scratch -- again. Only this time, my backup disk won't restore. I've lost a ton of information. Needless to say (so why do I say it?), my top priority is rebuilding my research files. I think the problem is that I had too many dll's downloaded. I hadn't installed them. I was trying to build a database to share with my nephews and niece who have a dial-up connection. Their dad works for a utility company and, since he's management, needs to have phone line available 24/7. They can use the Internet for school work but that's it. Anyway, I'll be downloading ONLY what I want to use and making a list of what I think THEY will want to use. Let's see if this works. (There should be a smilie with crossed fingers!)

Cats' Meow

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 09:53:07 AM »
just downloading the files into a folder on your system should not be causing this problem I have thousands of them form all over the community stored on my system with no problems at all from you description it could be spyware causing the problem and as they are not viruses will not show in an anti-virus program 3 programs to use to check this is Spybot Search& Destroy Free Download Here Adaware Free Download Here and Spysweeper Free Trial Version Here

Install and try these and see if that corrects the problem and if you have already reformatted install and run them at least once a week to keep spyware off your system.

If you are burning CD's for the kids it will be safe to put all the files on the cd's but check to be sure the files are not corrupted in game first. But as i said earlier just storing the files and not installing them in the game should not cause problems I have had my files on my hubby's system for a long time and the same files on my laptop since I got it in august last year all with no problems

Offline Bengal

• ChinchillAddict!
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 06:15:48 AM »
I just reformatted my computer and still have Spyware. I thought I would search here for any programs that delete that stuff - and found it yay, of course I would  :P

YR I have a question - Do I need to DL all those programs or will just one do?

Offline Tigeress_10

• ZA's craziest tigeress
  • Raptor Pack
  • Game Warden
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 06:29:27 AM »
Just one Bengal. My comp is close to being reformatted as well.
But I am holding on for dear life to my data. :(

Offline Bengal

• ChinchillAddict!
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 06:53:40 AM »
Ok thank you. I have reformatted my computer twice and still all the spyware is on my computer even after reformatting. I even had 2 different viruses; one of which my Norton Antivirus can't delete.  :sick

Offline Tigeress_10

• ZA's craziest tigeress
  • Raptor Pack
  • Game Warden
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 10:25:14 AM »
My comp won't even load. :(

Offline Bielski

• The Guardian
  • Game Warden
  • Ooooooh Noooooo!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 12:37:48 PM »
Oke I have this program on my computer that is sort of a one-in-all for spyware. It is called hitman pro. It is freeware and what it does is use all know spyware programms and searches your computer and removes it (when possible).

There is also a supports forum in English (The programm is in Dutch, but you can use it anyway). That forum is here.

Let me know if this works....... :huh

Offline Tigeress_10

• ZA's craziest tigeress
  • Raptor Pack
  • Game Warden
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 09:50:42 AM »
Bielski my comp won't be fixed till next week but I have some questions about that...I will PM you when my comp works.