Author Topic: How long do animals live?  (Read 2563 times)

Offline casey

• Administrator
  • Marine Biologist
How long do animals live?
« on: January 18, 2005, 11:56:50 PM »
Posted by: Jubatus Dec. 1 2004, 11:25 AM
In ZT1 animals didn't live too long (ex: giraffe 2 years), how long do live animals in ZT2?  

Posted by: Tasmanian_tiger Dec. 1 2004, 11:37 AM
I get the impression of them living longer. But time goes slower in ZT2.

I also noticed, that animals don't 'die' out. I got this a lot of times in ZT, unless with the numerous breeders. I, for example, started with two female gazelles and one male. But eventually, if I didn't add animals, the population would die out. With ZT2, I'm having difficulties getting populations under control, especially when I start to have a lot of species.  

Posted by: toxckrayon Dec. 1 2004, 03:46 PM
it depends on the species. certain species seem to have NO problem procreating. peafowl, moose, gazelles seem to like to have offspring on a regular basis. zebras as well, but not as much.

if a peahen has a baby peahen with an adult peacock, you're pretty safe to go ahead and release the peahen, because in a matter of months, that peahen will get impregnated by the peacock. population control seems to be a much harder issue to keep up with in zt2  

Posted by: WhitePanda Dec. 1 2004, 03:56 PM
Which is good - it adds a bit more realism.  

Posted by: Cooper Dec. 1 2004, 06:59 PM
My Gazelles usually die in the first year of OLD age  

Posted by: AdamfromCanada Dec. 1 2004, 08:58 PM
The only animal I've had real problems with is the flamingo. Usually female flamingos only live long enough to have one egg. If they have too many males, I find that within a couple generations, I sometimes have to replace the flamingos. Other than that, I still think animals die too soon. Giraffes do only live about a year and a half, flamingos only a few months. And the breeding cycle on some animals is way too fast. I find I'm overwhelmed by kangaroos, moose, and ibex to name a few. They breed like rabbits!  

Posted by: Tasmanian_tiger Dec. 2 2004, 01:33 AM
Yup, the same here. Moose, moose and moose!  

Posted by: Jubatus Dec. 2 2004, 04:16 AM
But animals should live longer then, I mean is more realistic.  

Posted by: Tasmanian_tiger Dec. 2 2004, 07:05 AM
I think the makers also watched at the game play. Of course, I am for a longer life and more realism. But, I wouldn't play Zoo Tycoon 2 ten years to wait for my female elephant to get babies. Heck, I even didn't get to 2 years. (Though, I probably would.)  

Posted by: harmonymouse Dec. 13 2004, 05:27 PM
it seems to me that my larger animals live longer.... like they are heartier or something  

Posted by: Moose Dec. 15 2004, 06:41 PM
(Jubatus @ Dec. 2 2004, 08:16 AM)

If time ran the same as zt1 or was adjustable how fast time could run they would probably do that...But time crawls in zt2, so it would be very annoying to wait that long.  

Posted by: panther Dec. 15 2004, 08:24 PM
I also think, (like White Panda) that the reproduction speed in zt2 is more realistic than the 1st one.
If the population is really getting out of ahnd, then you can just sell the offspring, and get money for it.  

Posted by: kimmh Dec. 16 2004, 10:42 AM
Panther Wrote:

I also think, (like White Panda) that the reproduction speed in zt2 is more realistic than the 1st one.
If the population is really getting out of ahnd, then you can just sell the offspring, and get money for it.

Actually, you can *not* sell the offspring, or get money for them. You can *adopt* the offspring to other zoos (free of charge, with the exception of a few campaigns) or you can simply release the animal into the wild. Also, free of charge.

One thing I always liked about ZT1 was that even if you weren't that great at keeping the visitors happy, if you kept your critters really happy they would make you enough money to get by. Now you must rely solely on the visitors (as I've found that the recycling centre is NOT worth it's weight in... well... poo. Unlike the compost centre in ZT1, which made tons of money, and could be placed anywhere. I just used the largest map and put the compost centre in the far back corner.)

Strike #36, Microsoft...  

Kim from Hamilton  

Posted by: many moles Dec. 16 2004, 10:59 AM
(kimmh @ Dec. 16 2004, 01:42 PM)
Now you must rely solely on the visitors (as I've found that the recycling centre is NOT worth it's weight in... well... poo. Unlike the compost centre in ZT1, which made tons of money, and could be placed anywhere. I just used the largest map and put the compost centre in the far back corner.)

sorry for beeing OT: You must sell the compost yorself if no path is connected to your recycling centre. the staff can't reach it. The poo will get there without a path but its pilled up to mega poo  
I've recognized this few days ago.. So sell that poo

back to topic: Animals in wildlife have also different birth rates. So its good to see this in ZT2 too. Bad as written above moose and some species tend to reproduce ultra fast. But at least you can release them to wild and make your score rise high.

dreamguardian1

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 10:22:38 AM »
It depends upon the animal.  The average lifespan of the beaver for example in ZT2 is only 6 months.

Offline karlhall39

• Zookeeper
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 10:26:27 AM »
I fing the flamingos annoying they dont live that long and dont have many eggs so i have to buy more which eats in the money. :(

markwars

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 06:26:46 PM »
I've got answers about animal life spans....

In ZT2 animal life spans are figured in terms of months.  Once an animal reaches that point there is a random chance each month that that animal will die.  The figures listed below are not guarantees of when an animal will die, just when the chance begins.

Animal          Months

Grizzly           43

Polar Bear      31

Beaver           13

Camel            43

Cheetah         16

Chimpanzee   51

Crocodile       60

Elephant        60

Flamingo        8

Gazelle          13

Gemsbock      17

Giraffe           24

Gorilla            39

Hippo             39

Ibex              19

Jaguar           19

Kangaroo       17

Lemur            21

Snow Leopard  16

Lion               21

Moose            23

Okapi             21

Ostrich           34

Panda            26

Red Panda      12

Peafowl          17

Penguin          34

Rhino             39

Tiger              15

Zebra             24

Offline karlhall39

• Zookeeper
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 03:14:22 AM »
Thankx for the help :lol:

Neopia Rocker

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 07:51:52 AM »
Yeah, and I had 16 female lions and one male, they all gave birth to his cubs in the same week, and now I have 32 cubs!!!!!!! But mostly male, thank goodness for that, I can keep all the females, and release all the males but 1 !!!! Whenever you get a girl baby, you should KEEP BOTH THE MOM AND BABY, that way, when she's an adult, both will have babies!!!!

Offline casey

• Administrator
  • Marine Biologist
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 11:56:50 PM »
Posted by: Jubatus Dec. 1 2004, 11:25 AM
In ZT1 animals didn't live too long (ex: giraffe 2 years), how long do live animals in ZT2?  

Posted by: Tasmanian_tiger Dec. 1 2004, 11:37 AM
I get the impression of them living longer. But time goes slower in ZT2.

I also noticed, that animals don't 'die' out. I got this a lot of times in ZT, unless with the numerous breeders. I, for example, started with two female gazelles and one male. But eventually, if I didn't add animals, the population would die out. With ZT2, I'm having difficulties getting populations under control, especially when I start to have a lot of species.  

Posted by: toxckrayon Dec. 1 2004, 03:46 PM
it depends on the species. certain species seem to have NO problem procreating. peafowl, moose, gazelles seem to like to have offspring on a regular basis. zebras as well, but not as much.

if a peahen has a baby peahen with an adult peacock, you're pretty safe to go ahead and release the peahen, because in a matter of months, that peahen will get impregnated by the peacock. population control seems to be a much harder issue to keep up with in zt2  

Posted by: WhitePanda Dec. 1 2004, 03:56 PM
Which is good - it adds a bit more realism.  

Posted by: Cooper Dec. 1 2004, 06:59 PM
My Gazelles usually die in the first year of OLD age  

Posted by: AdamfromCanada Dec. 1 2004, 08:58 PM
The only animal I've had real problems with is the flamingo. Usually female flamingos only live long enough to have one egg. If they have too many males, I find that within a couple generations, I sometimes have to replace the flamingos. Other than that, I still think animals die too soon. Giraffes do only live about a year and a half, flamingos only a few months. And the breeding cycle on some animals is way too fast. I find I'm overwhelmed by kangaroos, moose, and ibex to name a few. They breed like rabbits!  

Posted by: Tasmanian_tiger Dec. 2 2004, 01:33 AM
Yup, the same here. Moose, moose and moose!  

Posted by: Jubatus Dec. 2 2004, 04:16 AM

Posted by: Tasmanian_tiger Dec. 2 2004, 07:05 AM
I think the makers also watched at the game play. Of course, I am for a longer life and more realism. But, I wouldn't play Zoo Tycoon 2 ten years to wait for my female elephant to get babies. Heck, I even didn't get to 2 years. (Though, I probably would.)  

Posted by: harmonymouse Dec. 13 2004, 05:27 PM
it seems to me that my larger animals live longer.... like they are heartier or something  

Posted by: Moose Dec. 15 2004, 06:41 PM
(Jubatus @ Dec. 2 2004, 08:16 AM)

If time ran the same as zt1 or was adjustable how fast time could run they would probably do that...But time crawls in zt2, so it would be very annoying to wait that long.  

Posted by: panther Dec. 15 2004, 08:24 PM

Posted by: kimmh Dec. 16 2004, 10:42 AM
Panther Wrote:

Actually, you can *not* sell the offspring, or get money for them. You can *adopt* the offspring to other zoos (free of charge, with the exception of a few campaigns) or you can simply release the animal into the wild. Also, free of charge.

One thing I always liked about ZT1 was that even if you weren't that great at keeping the visitors happy, if you kept your critters really happy they would make you enough money to get by. Now you must rely solely on the visitors (as I've found that the recycling centre is NOT worth it's weight in... well... poo. Unlike the compost centre in ZT1, which made tons of money, and could be placed anywhere. I just used the largest map and put the compost centre in the far back corner.)

Strike #36, Microsoft...  

Kim from Hamilton  

Posted by: many moles Dec. 16 2004, 10:59 AM
(kimmh @ Dec. 16 2004, 01:42 PM)
Now you must rely solely on the visitors (as I've found that the recycling centre is NOT worth it's weight in... well... poo. Unlike the compost centre in ZT1, which made tons of money, and could be placed anywhere. I just used the largest map and put the compost centre in the far back corner.)

sorry for beeing OT: You must sell the compost yorself if no path is connected to your recycling centre. the staff can't reach it. The poo will get there without a path but its pilled up to mega poo  
I've recognized this few days ago.. So sell that poo

back to topic: Animals in wildlife have also different birth rates. So its good to see this in ZT2 too. Bad as written above moose and some species tend to reproduce ultra fast. But at least you can release them to wild and make your score rise high.

dreamguardian1

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 10:22:38 AM »
It depends upon the animal.  The average lifespan of the beaver for example in ZT2 is only 6 months.

Offline karlhall39

• Zookeeper
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 10:26:27 AM »
I fing the flamingos annoying they dont live that long and dont have many eggs so i have to buy more which eats in the money. :(

markwars

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 06:26:46 PM »
I've got answers about animal life spans....

In ZT2 animal life spans are figured in terms of months.  Once an animal reaches that point there is a random chance each month that that animal will die.  The figures listed below are not guarantees of when an animal will die, just when the chance begins.

Animal          Months

Grizzly           43

Polar Bear      31

Beaver           13

Camel            43

Cheetah         16

Chimpanzee   51

Crocodile       60

Elephant        60

Flamingo        8

Gazelle          13

Gemsbock      17

Giraffe           24

Gorilla            39

Hippo             39

Ibex              19

Jaguar           19

Kangaroo       17

Lemur            21

Snow Leopard  16

Lion               21

Moose            23

Okapi             21

Ostrich           34

Panda            26

Red Panda      12

Peafowl          17

Penguin          34

Rhino             39

Tiger              15

Zebra             24

Offline karlhall39

• Zookeeper
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2005, 03:14:22 AM »
Thankx for the help :lol:

Neopia Rocker

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2005, 07:51:52 AM »
Yeah, and I had 16 female lions and one male, they all gave birth to his cubs in the same week, and now I have 32 cubs!!!!!!! But mostly male, thank goodness for that, I can keep all the females, and release all the males but 1 !!!! Whenever you get a girl baby, you should KEEP BOTH THE MOM AND BABY, that way, when she's an adult, both will have babies!!!!

Offline Zeta Missy: Purple Turtle

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 06:52:51 PM »
My grizzly bears breed like rabbits! They're like, horrible... Lol. And I can't even sell them! It bites, it really does...  ANd almost all the time they have twins!!

Alpha Wolf

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 06:56:01 PM »
I only have problems with peafowls and flamingos :sad

Offline chicken_derby

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 06:11:51 AM »
I would love it if someone more educated than I could make a hack that would set everything to more realistic standards.  I think the zoo would be more fun if an elephant really stayed around for 50 or whatever many years its lifespan is.  Their reproduction would also have to be adjusted, making gestation periods realistic and 'growing up' times longer.

If I knew how to edit stuff and where to start, I'd try my hand, but I'm rather lost.

I know some people like to name their animals, but once you get a full-blown zoo and you get a birth message every ten seconds that becomes impossible.  I have to leave the numbers on my animals just so that I know who to adopt out,which I do regularly to keep a manageable amount of animals.  If we could reset these timeframes to more elongated ones, naming and coming to 'know' the animals would be much easier, and much more like a real zoo.

If I'm not mistaken, in a real zoo the birth of a baby animal is big news, celebration even.  On ZT, it's more like "Oh, darn, are they reproducing AGAIN?"

RSoxNo1

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 09:33:01 AM »
I've been saying this time and time again that the game should have a realistic game  clock.  All it would take is some fudging  with the gameclock display.  Instead  of a month taking 10-15 minutes, a year could take 10-15  minutes.

Alpha Wolf

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2005, 05:41:27 PM »
that helps markwars! thanks!  :cool

Offline Dith

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2005, 01:38:11 PM »
I don't like the idea of realistic time as it is a game...not reality.