Author Topic: Can animals and guests walk through fences?  (Read 1097 times)

Offline casey

• Administrator
  • Marine Biologist
Can animals and guests walk through fences?
« on: January 18, 2005, 11:59:52 PM »
Posted by: ayshala Dec. 7 2004, 10:54 AM
For some reason my guests keep turning up in my animal exhibits!!! I'll have an exhibit that is a tall chain link fence on all four sides...with no gate.....and no cliffs. And suddenly I'll look and there are guests wandering around in the exhibit. I'm worn out with this problem. I cannot figure out if it is a glitch or a sign of something I am doing wrong????? There is no obviouse way for these guests to be getting in! SAme goes for my animals,.....they will be in a secure exhibit with fencing on all four sides, and no gate..........and suddenly the animal is walking around the zoo loose. I never get any message like "Cheetah 1 just jumped its fence". I'll just glance over and see an animal in a place it shouldn't be. Anyone know what is going on?
I also have exhibits that are half-cliffs. Basically a big square dug into the ground,....with fences on the top of each ridge...making a complete four walls. SOmehow guests keep getting in there too. But this exhibit has a low stone wall where guests can view the animal...so maybe that has something to do with that particular one?
I'm having a hard enough time convincing myself that I like this game,......but I can't get anything done with people and animals going where they shouldn't!

Thanks!
A  

Posted by: Tasmanian_tiger Dec. 12 2004, 03:01 AM
Problems I noticed when animals/guests getting stuck on places they shouldn't be.

I digged an exibit in the ground. At some point, the path for the guests, 'bended' a little down on the edge of the exhibit. You sometimes have to look closely. If it edges towards the exhibit, even when the path is in the exhibit partly, with fence dividing guests and animals, delete it. Or use the flatten tool. (When you use this, don't forget to delete your fences first on the part you wish to use it! It leaves the fences on the same height.) The separation in heights between the guest part and the animals part has to be really clear! If a path lowers toward an exhibit, a guest will 'slide' into it. I had it many times.

Secondly, waterfalls. Ah.. yes. They cause many problems for animals. Somehow, animals can 'climb' up to them. (Even animals that can't swim!! When you use shallow water). The problem part is, when they a.can't get off, which you will notice when it gets hungry/thirsty, etc... (I always check up animals in with red squares in the quick menu, it's a good indication to see if they are stuck somewhere) or, worse b. when it gets of on the wrong side. Most of the time, you can prevent this, with placing fences on top of the waterfall, or around it, if you don't mind it ruining the 'view'. (Come to think of it, when need an invisible fence  ). Some animals, however, I had problems with my thompson gazelles, I now see another person here also has it, don't mind the fences and simply always get 'over' the waterfall. I advice not to use waterfalls for thompsons on your borders with other exhibits. I fear this is a bug.

Thirdly, for guests, watch out when using buildings, like a toilet. If you place it near an exhibit (f.e., the back of the toilet edges with the exhibit), be sure to a. put fence entirely around it and b. see again part one, the back, nor the sides next to the toilet have to lean 'down', otherwise guests will 'slide' into exhibits. Even when there are fences. The same thing happened in one of my zoos. The guests somehow came out behind/side of the toilet, which leaned down a cheetah exhibit. The cheetah were very thankfull for the extra food.  

Posted by: btd45 Dec. 20 2004, 09:06 AM
I had the same problem but i started lowering my exhibits down into the ground and using a moat and I haven't had any problems since. Hope it helps.

Offline casey

• Administrator
  • Marine Biologist
Can animals and guests walk through fences?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 11:59:52 PM »
Posted by: ayshala Dec. 7 2004, 10:54 AM
For some reason my guests keep turning up in my animal exhibits!!! I'll have an exhibit that is a tall chain link fence on all four sides...with no gate.....and no cliffs. And suddenly I'll look and there are guests wandering around in the exhibit. I'm worn out with this problem. I cannot figure out if it is a glitch or a sign of something I am doing wrong????? There is no obviouse way for these guests to be getting in! SAme goes for my animals,.....they will be in a secure exhibit with fencing on all four sides, and no gate..........and suddenly the animal is walking around the zoo loose. I never get any message like "Cheetah 1 just jumped its fence". I'll just glance over and see an animal in a place it shouldn't be. Anyone know what is going on?
I also have exhibits that are half-cliffs. Basically a big square dug into the ground,....with fences on the top of each ridge...making a complete four walls. SOmehow guests keep getting in there too. But this exhibit has a low stone wall where guests can view the animal...so maybe that has something to do with that particular one?
I'm having a hard enough time convincing myself that I like this game,......but I can't get anything done with people and animals going where they shouldn't!

Thanks!
A  

Posted by: Tasmanian_tiger Dec. 12 2004, 03:01 AM
Problems I noticed when animals/guests getting stuck on places they shouldn't be.

I digged an exibit in the ground. At some point, the path for the guests, 'bended' a little down on the edge of the exhibit. You sometimes have to look closely. If it edges towards the exhibit, even when the path is in the exhibit partly, with fence dividing guests and animals, delete it. Or use the flatten tool. (When you use this, don't forget to delete your fences first on the part you wish to use it! It leaves the fences on the same height.) The separation in heights between the guest part and the animals part has to be really clear! If a path lowers toward an exhibit, a guest will 'slide' into it. I had it many times.

Secondly, waterfalls. Ah.. yes. They cause many problems for animals. Somehow, animals can 'climb' up to them. (Even animals that can't swim!! When you use shallow water). The problem part is, when they a.can't get off, which you will notice when it gets hungry/thirsty, etc... (I always check up animals in with red squares in the quick menu, it's a good indication to see if they are stuck somewhere) or, worse b. when it gets of on the wrong side. Most of the time, you can prevent this, with placing fences on top of the waterfall, or around it, if you don't mind it ruining the 'view'. (Come to think of it, when need an invisible fence  ). Some animals, however, I had problems with my thompson gazelles, I now see another person here also has it, don't mind the fences and simply always get 'over' the waterfall. I advice not to use waterfalls for thompsons on your borders with other exhibits. I fear this is a bug.

Thirdly, for guests, watch out when using buildings, like a toilet. If you place it near an exhibit (f.e., the back of the toilet edges with the exhibit), be sure to a. put fence entirely around it and b. see again part one, the back, nor the sides next to the toilet have to lean 'down', otherwise guests will 'slide' into exhibits. Even when there are fences. The same thing happened in one of my zoos. The guests somehow came out behind/side of the toilet, which leaned down a cheetah exhibit. The cheetah were very thankfull for the extra food.  

Posted by: btd45 Dec. 20 2004, 09:06 AM
I had the same problem but i started lowering my exhibits down into the ground and using a moat and I haven't had any problems since. Hope it helps.