Author Topic: Exhibit terrain  (Read 1082 times)

Offline casey

• Administrator
  • Marine Biologist
Exhibit terrain
« on: January 19, 2005, 12:06:11 AM »
Posted by: Schmiddi Nov. 19 2004, 06:20 AM
In the old ZT, the exhibits were made up of x amounts of different types of terrain, dirt, water, snow...etc, and the animals responded with their happy faces accordingly. In ZT2, all we get is the type of biome. Let's take the penguin for example. I used the tundra biome, naturally, and the animals were satisfied, even without any water to swim. How do I create the perfect enviroment for my animals? The lowest rating in my zoo fame is the animal education one, because there is no indicator how to create the perfect exhibit. Any suggestions??

Posted by: Aussie Koala Nov. 19 2004, 06:27 AM
I wonder about this too. Basically I just use knowledge from what animals liked in ZT 1 and common sense what the animals would like. Most animals dont seem to mind some water- though if its too small a patch they just walk or run over it.
Anyway i would also like to know this information.

Posted by: Xtreme Nov. 19 2004, 07:02 AM
I use the Zookeeper Recommandations. They're at the animal's info. They tell you all the things that animals like. Try using some of the toys or shelters or something.

Anyways, that's the only thing I can help you on.  

Posted by: cstrfrk Nov. 19 2004, 07:50 AM
(Schmiddi @ Nov. 19 2004, 09:20 AM)
The lowest rating in my zoo fame is the animal education one, because there is no indicator how to create the perfect exhibit. Any suggestions??  

I'm not sure, but wouldn't you use and "educator podium" to increase the animal education fame?  

Posted by: flamethrower Nov. 19 2004, 07:59 AM
I've said this before and I'll say it again.  

There is NO SUCH THING as exhibit suitability.

There's only "Biome" and "Space". These are measured AROUND the animal - not the exhibit. There is NO SUCH THING as an exhibit - just that the animal cannot find a way to get guests.

Biome is terrain. If you have even a little bit of the biome near the animal, it'll be satisfied.

Space is the amount of animals, LAND, basically walking space. If you put 8 lions together, they'll say not enough space. But if you spread them, they'll be happy.  

Posted by: wisco Nov. 19 2004, 08:49 AM
there goes my plan to make a new animal center  

I noticed it already in the beta version. you just don't know what animal likes and how much of it he would like. how many trees, rocks, plants, toys, .... you use the biome to create the 'exhibit' and he is satisfied. but too much animals and he won't like it anymore. but how do you know how many animals you can place in that exhibit? I have received the marketing version but still didn't installed it. maybe this weekend  

Posted by: spin Nov. 19 2004, 09:17 AM
Jup, even from the xml's, knowing the numbers, it's not easy to get right sometimes...

There are a few numbers in there though. For exhibit size for example the grizzly bear has 320 set for minimum space, and for every added animal 80. What these numbers mean ingame I'm unsure, as the basic square system is no more...

The same goes for biome, there are some numbers, each animal will have 10 for 1 biome, 5 for another, 0 for a few, and -10 for the rest. But those say even less then the numbers with space...  

Posted by: Rogue11 Nov. 19 2004, 10:40 AM
(spin @ Nov. 19 2004, 12:17 PM)

The same goes for biome, there are some numbers, each animal will have 10 for 1 biome, 5 for another, 0 for a few, and -10 for the rest. But those say even less then the numbers with space...  

I have noticed that those biomes numbers have to do with the animal's happyness. For example take a Camel, it will be happiest in a desert biome (highest number =10) , if you put it into a savanna biome it will be still somewhat happy (it would geta 5 for happyness), most of the forest would score a 0, but put it into the tundra or arctic and it will score as -10  

Posted by: scroler Nov. 19 2004, 02:26 PM
I guess you need to be careful about adding water even if the biome says it's ok? I tried adding a small corner of water to an ibex exhibit and the ibex seemed pretty happy as it was prancing around. I was working on another part of the zoo and got a flash warning saying that the ibex was in the water and couldn't swim. I had to hightail it over and pull the poor thing out of the water and no I didn't and wouldn't want to watch and see if the ibex would get out eventually, remain stranded in the water or drown.  

Posted by: zoomac92 Nov. 19 2004, 09:58 PM
I'd like to clear something about the water depths and drowning animals up. If you want to make a pond for an animal that can't swim use shallow water because all of the animals can touch the shallow bottom with no problems, but for animals with swimming animations use the deep water or they will just walk in the water. Also just so you know animals that can swim can go up waterfalls so make sure you completely fence in areas.  

Posted by: flamethrower Nov. 19 2004, 10:01 PM
Go up waterfalls? Wow that's a new one.  

Posted by: Schmiddi Nov. 20 2004, 06:52 AM
I still can't get over that exhibit issue. There is more to it than just biome appropriate terrain. Each biome has several choices, but an animal can be satisfied with either one of those choices. I still can't get my "educational zoo fame" higher than about 70%. Trees, rocks, shelter...these things must have some kind of impact on the animals environment. Using the zookeepers suggestions still won't get the fame where I need it, and that's the only thing that keeps me from reaching 5 stars for the panda zoo.  

Posted by: flamethrower Nov. 20 2004, 10:00 AM
You're going the wrong direction. To get an educational zoo, you just put in more eductor booths and educators.  

Posted by: Chiasmata Nov. 20 2004, 04:15 PM
I've found that non-swimming animals can get into trouble even in shallow water. I put a dab of shallow water in a gorilla's enclosure, just for effect. But his ball rolled into it, and when he went in to fish it out he coudln't swim. I got the warning message and had to go and rescue him, poor ****.

So beware of even shallow water. Apes, and others I'm guessing, don't like it.

- Chiasmata  

Posted by: ZooKeeperMark Nov. 20 2004, 07:14 PM
I had the same thing kinda, this bengal tiger was stuck and it says he was treeding water and he was on the edge and he still couldn't get out.
I know treading water is an animation but he was stuck in there because he was treading water for 5 minutes.  

Posted by: Schmiddi Nov. 21 2004, 06:57 AM
I made an Ibex exhibit yesterday and added cliffs and hills since that's what they liked in ZT1. Their biome reading turned critical, which means that terrain does an effect on the overall biome, right?  

Posted by: kestera Nov. 21 2004, 07:29 AM
the tiger should be able to swim but i found the game has a few glitches and animals can get stuck. I had to rescue my croc from the side of his exhibit he got duck in the water and the fence. so sometimes its the game.  

Posted by: Kaivo Nov. 21 2004, 08:17 AM
(flamethrower @ Nov. 20 2004, 02:01 AM)

Someone needs to make a salmon for ZT2 then. .

For water, I usually put a small lake of shallow water up against a fence as much as I can. I've never got an animal stuck this way, and I do this in all exhibits, mostly. Unless of course the animal can swim in deep. And yeah, for education, you need educator podiums and hired educator staff. It also helps if you put them next to donation boxes, you'll get more education donations. As for keeping animals away from water.. you could always try a natural barrier like in zt1. Sure, it wouldn't be easy, but it's worth a shot.

For actual exhibit/whatever suitability.. the reason they don't have it is so that you can customize it the way you want. If you want your penguins tundra to be filled with that tundra grass stuff, you can. If you want your camel to have a forest of desert trees, you can. Of course, I'm sure happiness would vary somewhat with extreme changes, but yeah.  

Posted by: Chiasmata Nov. 21 2004, 08:15 PM
Actually with the Ibex enclosure, Schmiddi, you probably made the cliffs to big so the animals were trapped in a section only a few squares wide. I think there's a point were a cliff stops being a landscape feature and starts being a natural barrier, like in no-fence exhibits.

I had the same problem when I first made my snow leopard exhibit. They had a massive amount of space, but their biome reading was red! I had to flatten all the cliffs to hills before they were really happy.

- Chiasmata  

Posted by: flamethrower Nov. 21 2004, 09:20 PM
Yes, on some terrains, it's hard to tell if you made it a steep cliff or not. Someone said this already but you can use the zookeeper's assignment and the grid will be where it's "walkable".  

Posted by: Schmiddi Nov. 22 2004, 01:47 PM
Makes sense, I really did make the cliffs too high. I guess, I just have to get off the ZT1 "thinking" of exhibits...and start a new "life"...  
The education fame points got me kinda confused. It says in the journal that when guests see animals in their appropriate biome, they feel "educated", and I just got frustrated that I couldn't get higher fame in that catagory. Putting the podiums and donation boxes close together is also an excellent idea, which I've implemented from the start.

Forgot to ask something... my nile croc is never happy, his privacy is always in red, yet the zoo keeper recommends no shelter for it. Has anyone else had that problem?

Try not to double-post right after your own post unless it's been rather a while no one has posted (usually give'em a day or so). - Flamethrower  

Posted by: Ramin_Raptor Nov. 22 2004, 03:17 PM
about the croc just go to general info and one of the fourms talk about this problem maybe that will help  

Posted by: flamethrower Nov. 22 2004, 03:31 PM
I'm rather surprised how many people don't simply point at the Privacy thing and read.

It says SHADE, PLANTS, or SHELTERS provide privacy.  

Posted by: ZooGuy411 Nov. 22 2004, 04:17 PM
(flamethrower @ Nov. 22 2004, 06:31 PM)
I'm rather surprised how many people don't simply point at the Privacy thing and read.  

So am I  

Posted by: Ramin_Raptor Nov. 23 2004, 03:31 AM
I have 1 question and i know this ent about the topic but should i ask parents for zt 2 for christmas? I hear alot of complants    

Posted by: Otter Lord Nov. 23 2004, 06:43 AM
(Schmiddi @ Nov. 21 2004, 07:57 AM)
I made an Ibex exhibit yesterday and added cliffs and hills since that's what they liked in ZT1.  Their biome reading turned critical, which means that terrain does an effect on the overall biome, right?  

Th reason why the exhibit reding turned critical is probally because they don't have any space. Cliffs are counted as walls and ibex can't go up them so they were trapped on one hill.

Nevermind.  

Posted by: Purring Tiger Nov. 23 2004, 06:56 AM
(Ramin_Raptor @ Nov. 23 2004, 04:31 AM)
I have 1 question and i know this ent about the topic but should i ask parents for zt 2 for christmas? I hear alot of complants        

Try the demo http://gamesdomain.yahoo.com/pc/zoo_tycoon_2/feature/53219 to see how you like it. If you do, then you could ask for it for christmas. Every body has their own personal opinion on this game. I'll let you decide weather or not to get it. (I personally think this is a great game)

If the demo doesn't work, then ZT2 won't either. (not untill you upgrade your computer  )  

Posted by: Ramin_Raptor Nov. 23 2004, 01:40 PM
I downloaded the demo and it was pretty good. A bit slow but pretty good.  

Posted by: Nepenthe Nov. 27 2004, 03:31 PM
(Schmiddi @ Nov. 20 2004, 10:52 AM)
I still can't get my "educational zoo fame" higher than about 70%. Trees, rocks, shelter...these things must have some kind of impact on the animals environment. Using the zookeepers suggestions still won't get the fame where I need it ...  

Whoo, too many topics in one thread!  

Observation shelters and binoculars help the "educational" rating, too. (Maybe there are information plaques inside those shelters?  )
And of course educators have already been mentioned.  

Posted by: Zoo_Master Nov. 27 2004, 04:42 PM
I never use educators, but my education score is good enough for no negative comments. I always us binoculars, and what do you mean by observation towers Nepenthe?  

Posted by: Jeeks Nov. 27 2004, 05:42 PM
(Zoo_Master @ Nov. 27 2004, 07:42 PM)
I never use educators, but my education score is good enough for no negative comments. I always us binoculars, and what do you mean by observation towers Nepenthe?  

I think you mean observation shelters. They're the 2-tile wide "shelters that you can put along paths for people to stand under and watch the animal.

Offline casey

• Administrator
  • Marine Biologist
Exhibit terrain
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 12:06:11 AM »
Posted by: Schmiddi Nov. 19 2004, 06:20 AM
In the old ZT, the exhibits were made up of x amounts of different types of terrain, dirt, water, snow...etc, and the animals responded with their happy faces accordingly. In ZT2, all we get is the type of biome. Let's take the penguin for example. I used the tundra biome, naturally, and the animals were satisfied, even without any water to swim. How do I create the perfect enviroment for my animals? The lowest rating in my zoo fame is the animal education one, because there is no indicator how to create the perfect exhibit. Any suggestions??

Posted by: Aussie Koala Nov. 19 2004, 06:27 AM
I wonder about this too. Basically I just use knowledge from what animals liked in ZT 1 and common sense what the animals would like. Most animals dont seem to mind some water- though if its too small a patch they just walk or run over it.
Anyway i would also like to know this information.

Posted by: Xtreme Nov. 19 2004, 07:02 AM
I use the Zookeeper Recommandations. They're at the animal's info. They tell you all the things that animals like. Try using some of the toys or shelters or something.

Anyways, that's the only thing I can help you on.  

Posted by: cstrfrk Nov. 19 2004, 07:50 AM
(Schmiddi @ Nov. 19 2004, 09:20 AM)
The lowest rating in my zoo fame is the animal education one, because there is no indicator how to create the perfect exhibit. Any suggestions??  

I'm not sure, but wouldn't you use and "educator podium" to increase the animal education fame?  

Posted by: flamethrower Nov. 19 2004, 07:59 AM
I've said this before and I'll say it again.  

There is NO SUCH THING as exhibit suitability.

There's only "Biome" and "Space". These are measured AROUND the animal - not the exhibit. There is NO SUCH THING as an exhibit - just that the animal cannot find a way to get guests.

Biome is terrain. If you have even a little bit of the biome near the animal, it'll be satisfied.

Space is the amount of animals, LAND, basically walking space. If you put 8 lions together, they'll say not enough space. But if you spread them, they'll be happy.  

Posted by: wisco Nov. 19 2004, 08:49 AM
there goes my plan to make a new animal center  

I noticed it already in the beta version. you just don't know what animal likes and how much of it he would like. how many trees, rocks, plants, toys, .... you use the biome to create the 'exhibit' and he is satisfied. but too much animals and he won't like it anymore. but how do you know how many animals you can place in that exhibit? I have received the marketing version but still didn't installed it. maybe this weekend  

Posted by: spin Nov. 19 2004, 09:17 AM
Jup, even from the xml's, knowing the numbers, it's not easy to get right sometimes...

There are a few numbers in there though. For exhibit size for example the grizzly bear has 320 set for minimum space, and for every added animal 80. What these numbers mean ingame I'm unsure, as the basic square system is no more...

Posted by: Rogue11 Nov. 19 2004, 10:40 AM
(spin @ Nov. 19 2004, 12:17 PM)

I have noticed that those biomes numbers have to do with the animal's happyness. For example take a Camel, it will be happiest in a desert biome (highest number =10) , if you put it into a savanna biome it will be still somewhat happy (it would geta 5 for happyness), most of the forest would score a 0, but put it into the tundra or arctic and it will score as -10  

Posted by: scroler Nov. 19 2004, 02:26 PM
I guess you need to be careful about adding water even if the biome says it's ok? I tried adding a small corner of water to an ibex exhibit and the ibex seemed pretty happy as it was prancing around. I was working on another part of the zoo and got a flash warning saying that the ibex was in the water and couldn't swim. I had to hightail it over and pull the poor thing out of the water and no I didn't and wouldn't want to watch and see if the ibex would get out eventually, remain stranded in the water or drown.  

Posted by: zoomac92 Nov. 19 2004, 09:58 PM
I'd like to clear something about the water depths and drowning animals up. If you want to make a pond for an animal that can't swim use shallow water because all of the animals can touch the shallow bottom with no problems, but for animals with swimming animations use the deep water or they will just walk in the water. Also just so you know animals that can swim can go up waterfalls so make sure you completely fence in areas.  

Posted by: flamethrower Nov. 19 2004, 10:01 PM

Posted by: Schmiddi Nov. 20 2004, 06:52 AM
I still can't get over that exhibit issue. There is more to it than just biome appropriate terrain. Each biome has several choices, but an animal can be satisfied with either one of those choices. I still can't get my "educational zoo fame" higher than about 70%. Trees, rocks, shelter...these things must have some kind of impact on the animals environment. Using the zookeepers suggestions still won't get the fame where I need it, and that's the only thing that keeps me from reaching 5 stars for the panda zoo.  

Posted by: flamethrower Nov. 20 2004, 10:00 AM
You're going the wrong direction. To get an educational zoo, you just put in more eductor booths and educators.  

Posted by: Chiasmata Nov. 20 2004, 04:15 PM
I've found that non-swimming animals can get into trouble even in shallow water. I put a dab of shallow water in a gorilla's enclosure, just for effect. But his ball rolled into it, and when he went in to fish it out he coudln't swim. I got the warning message and had to go and rescue him, poor ****.

So beware of even shallow water. Apes, and others I'm guessing, don't like it.

- Chiasmata  

Posted by: ZooKeeperMark Nov. 20 2004, 07:14 PM
I had the same thing kinda, this bengal tiger was stuck and it says he was treeding water and he was on the edge and he still couldn't get out.
I know treading water is an animation but he was stuck in there because he was treading water for 5 minutes.  

Posted by: Schmiddi Nov. 21 2004, 06:57 AM
I made an Ibex exhibit yesterday and added cliffs and hills since that's what they liked in ZT1. Their biome reading turned critical, which means that terrain does an effect on the overall biome, right?  

Posted by: kestera Nov. 21 2004, 07:29 AM
the tiger should be able to swim but i found the game has a few glitches and animals can get stuck. I had to rescue my croc from the side of his exhibit he got duck in the water and the fence. so sometimes its the game.  

Posted by: Kaivo Nov. 21 2004, 08:17 AM
(flamethrower @ Nov. 20 2004, 02:01 AM)

Someone needs to make a salmon for ZT2 then. .

For water, I usually put a small lake of shallow water up against a fence as much as I can. I've never got an animal stuck this way, and I do this in all exhibits, mostly. Unless of course the animal can swim in deep. And yeah, for education, you need educator podiums and hired educator staff. It also helps if you put them next to donation boxes, you'll get more education donations. As for keeping animals away from water.. you could always try a natural barrier like in zt1. Sure, it wouldn't be easy, but it's worth a shot.

For actual exhibit/whatever suitability.. the reason they don't have it is so that you can customize it the way you want. If you want your penguins tundra to be filled with that tundra grass stuff, you can. If you want your camel to have a forest of desert trees, you can. Of course, I'm sure happiness would vary somewhat with extreme changes, but yeah.  

Posted by: Chiasmata Nov. 21 2004, 08:15 PM
Actually with the Ibex enclosure, Schmiddi, you probably made the cliffs to big so the animals were trapped in a section only a few squares wide. I think there's a point were a cliff stops being a landscape feature and starts being a natural barrier, like in no-fence exhibits.

I had the same problem when I first made my snow leopard exhibit. They had a massive amount of space, but their biome reading was red! I had to flatten all the cliffs to hills before they were really happy.

- Chiasmata  

Posted by: flamethrower Nov. 21 2004, 09:20 PM
Yes, on some terrains, it's hard to tell if you made it a steep cliff or not. Someone said this already but you can use the zookeeper's assignment and the grid will be where it's "walkable".  

Posted by: Schmiddi Nov. 22 2004, 01:47 PM
Makes sense, I really did make the cliffs too high. I guess, I just have to get off the ZT1 "thinking" of exhibits...and start a new "life"...  
The education fame points got me kinda confused. It says in the journal that when guests see animals in their appropriate biome, they feel "educated", and I just got frustrated that I couldn't get higher fame in that catagory. Putting the podiums and donation boxes close together is also an excellent idea, which I've implemented from the start.

Forgot to ask something... my nile croc is never happy, his privacy is always in red, yet the zoo keeper recommends no shelter for it. Has anyone else had that problem?

Try not to double-post right after your own post unless it's been rather a while no one has posted (usually give'em a day or so). - Flamethrower  

Posted by: Ramin_Raptor Nov. 22 2004, 03:17 PM
about the croc just go to general info and one of the fourms talk about this problem maybe that will help  

Posted by: flamethrower Nov. 22 2004, 03:31 PM

It says SHADE, PLANTS, or SHELTERS provide privacy.  

Posted by: ZooGuy411 Nov. 22 2004, 04:17 PM
(flamethrower @ Nov. 22 2004, 06:31 PM)

So am I  

Posted by: Ramin_Raptor Nov. 23 2004, 03:31 AM

Posted by: Otter Lord Nov. 23 2004, 06:43 AM
(Schmiddi @ Nov. 21 2004, 07:57 AM)
I made an Ibex exhibit yesterday and added cliffs and hills since that's what they liked in ZT1.  Their biome reading turned critical, which means that terrain does an effect on the overall biome, right?  

Th reason why the exhibit reding turned critical is probally because they don't have any space. Cliffs are counted as walls and ibex can't go up them so they were trapped on one hill.

Nevermind.  

Posted by: Purring Tiger Nov. 23 2004, 06:56 AM
(Ramin_Raptor @ Nov. 23 2004, 04:31 AM)

Try the demo http://gamesdomain.yahoo.com/pc/zoo_tycoon_2/feature/53219 to see how you like it. If you do, then you could ask for it for christmas. Every body has their own personal opinion on this game. I'll let you decide weather or not to get it. (I personally think this is a great game)

If the demo doesn't work, then ZT2 won't either. (not untill you upgrade your computer  )  

Posted by: Ramin_Raptor Nov. 23 2004, 01:40 PM
I downloaded the demo and it was pretty good. A bit slow but pretty good.  

Posted by: Nepenthe Nov. 27 2004, 03:31 PM
(Schmiddi @ Nov. 20 2004, 10:52 AM)
I still can't get my "educational zoo fame" higher than about 70%. Trees, rocks, shelter...these things must have some kind of impact on the animals environment. Using the zookeepers suggestions still won't get the fame where I need it ...  

Whoo, too many topics in one thread!  

Observation shelters and binoculars help the "educational" rating, too. (Maybe there are information plaques inside those shelters?  )
And of course educators have already been mentioned.  

Posted by: Zoo_Master Nov. 27 2004, 04:42 PM

Posted by: Jeeks Nov. 27 2004, 05:42 PM
(Zoo_Master @ Nov. 27 2004, 07:42 PM)

I think you mean observation shelters. They're the 2-tile wide "shelters that you can put along paths for people to stand under and watch the animal.