Author Topic: Lack Of Bonus Content  (Read 2674 times)

Offline AdamfromCanada

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://
Lack Of Bonus Content
« on: February 04, 2006, 02:10:20 PM »
The last downloadable animal was the Asian Elephant last May.  That's NINE months ago.  Since then, we've had two very small bonuses, but no animals.  Lots of people theorized the lack of bonus content previously had to do with the XP coming out, but now, we're months removed from that and yet to see anything more.  Is bonus content for this game finished?  The interviews promise big, but we've seen very little in the way of actual delivery.  It has to make you wonder...

Offline Alpha Dilophosaur

• Scientist
  • I reject your reality, and substitute my own!
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 02:16:00 PM »
maybe their saving up for something huge... Plus, it does take a while to make an animal.

Offline Zoo

• Game Warden
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 02:35:50 PM »
You know what Adam?

It takes such a long time to make animals, they need to research the animal they are going to make, then they need to program it, then they need to model it in the game.

Offline AdamfromCanada

• Pooper Scooper
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 06:19:53 PM »
Originally posted by Alpha Dilophosaur@Feb 4 2006, 10:16 PM
maybe their saving up for something huge... Plus, it does take a while to make an animal.
It does take a while to make an animal...this is true...but nine months?  No way.  The best we can hope for is that they're building another expansion pack.  That doesn't make the assertions in the interviews about upcoming downloadable content ring any less true however.  

I hope you're right, and I hope they release something soon.  You can tell just from the traffic on this board, that the game is losing its momentum right now, and they need something to rejuvenate that.

Offline mysticat

• Pooper Scooper
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 06:30:06 PM »
I have to say I wondered about that too.  We do get a lot of scenery objects unlocked by doing the campaigns, etc with this version, but seems like fewer varieties of buildings and animals than the ZT1.  I'd like to see some marine animals in this one :)

Offline Crookshankz227

• Game Warden
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 06:53:40 PM »
I was thinking the same thing. This game is getting a bit, well, boring. I have downloaded a lot of user created animals, they help freshen up the game a lot, but I really want to see an official animal up for DL. This is one of the things which kept ZT1 alive for so long. If they make another xp, we'll have to buy it. It won't be free, while new downloadable animals would.

Offline GoneWild

• Senior Zookeeper
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 07:20:40 PM »
This is just me but i would probably think the next download will be out around april or may

Offline alloy61

• Doctor Who nut
  • Copa Cabana
  • Scientist
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 04:47:35 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if the team is working on projects other than ZT, as has been said before it's a lot of work to make an animal with plenty of time.
 To make one when you're working on other projects must be even more difficult as the coding between games is probably different. - I'm just thankful for the large amount of downloads here...

Offline Crookshankz227

• Game Warden
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 07:17:35 AM »
I don't think that they are... they might be though. There's no announcements. But how long does it take for a new animal to be made ? Xtrat (with some help from penguinman) made a bullfrog. True, the animations were all there, but they did all the coding and variant skins. They are a team of many people, who do this as their job, not as something they do for enjoyment. I don't mean to be rude (and I am honestly very sorry if this is), but, considering that they are a team of many people who do this as a job, and have another team who make the sounds, I think that they've become a wee bit lazy. :sad  While I realize that we're lucky that they make DLs at all, they're the ones who promised them to us, also it's been about a year ZT2 has been released, and only 3 animals up for DL - poor performance here BF, sorry.

Offline Xtreme

• Game Warden
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 07:31:32 AM »
For some absymal reason, they think that 53 animals is more than enough, for the 3D graphics will make up for it. I actually enjoyed ZT2 for the first few months it came out, and now, its just really boring.

And no, they're not working on projects other than ZT2, for if you go to BF's website, it says their only games are the ZT ones.

Offline GoneWild

• Senior Zookeeper
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 08:08:44 AM »
but remember they made the holiday pack one month after ZT2:ES came out so I would give them some more time.  I bet you when they do make us a animal it will be AWESOME

Offline kiwibuddy

• Marine Biologist
  • Takahe
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 09:14:24 AM »
It usually takes 1 and 1/2-2 months for BF to make a new animal/download. Depending on the download. Either sometime in the middle of this month between early March, they should have a new animal. Or, maybe they're working on the Egyptian themed objects, like adding to it or making it better! :)

Offline dootdoot

• Zookeeper
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 10:01:25 AM »
I don't think they work on the same thing all the time. Not to mention they have to research. BF said it took about 80 days to create one animal.

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2006, 10:11:55 AM »
Alright - here's my two cents. Has it occured to any of us that BF may be like 'extras' in the movies? In other words, they're only called when they're needed? It's MS who pays their salaries, after all. It could be MS said, "Make an expansion pack". and they did. Then MS said, "Make a Christmas pack." and they did. It could be that so far, MS hasn't told them to make anything new. Those guys could be off at their 'day jobs' right now.

I don't know that this is true, but - it's worth a thought. :huh

Offline Alpha Dilophosaur

• Scientist
  • I reject your reality, and substitute my own!
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2006, 11:10:10 AM »
Maybe their making an DL with the eygptian theming, and a couple of animals and buildings. That could take a while. Plus, they could be making two DL, one to come shortly after the other.

Offline AdamfromCanada

• Pooper Scooper
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2006, 01:28:52 PM »
Originally posted by Alpha Dilophosaur@Feb 5 2006, 07:10 PM
Maybe their making an DL with the eygptian theming, and a couple of animals and buildings. That could take a while. Plus, they could be making two DL, one to come shortly after the other.
They could be doing a lot of different things, but it would be really nice to actually SEE something.  It's been quiet...too quiet.

Offline Peacenote

• Peaceful Music Soothes the Savage Soul
  • Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 11:50:58 AM »
If I had a nickel for every time this came up...   :lol

I WAS thinking about this, though, and please no one be offended by MY 2 cents - it's just an observation I had!   ;)   And it was...

While I am not a big fan of pestering BF for new content, or criticizing the lack of it, as some of you already know  :P , I do empathize with those of you that would like to see more as it IS very exciting when you get the announcement that there's something new to download!  And of course it's fun.

However, I'm not really sure that, if the game has truly gotten boring for anyone, that one or two bonus animal downloads is the answer.  I remember back when there was all the hubbub about the Asiatic Black Bear, and I happened to be one of the ones who had it, and I'll tell you, I hardly ever even use it!  Certainly I use it no more than any other animal, and less than my favorites.  I think if the game is boring for you it's probably time to try playing it in a different way, like challenging yourself to build a certain kind of themed zoo, start a yafi zoo, or trying to make your own user download.  Or, possibly, time to take a break and play something else, or even read a book or go to a movie or something!  :lol   Even the greatest games ever can get boring after a while, and normally with those games you move on to something else, and go back later when you miss it.  I highly doubt that there's any game, anywhere, that is so great that it's the only game a large amount of people will ever play forever and ever because they will never get sick of it.  If you're looking for the high amount of animals that are available in ZT1, ZT2 is just a different game and I think you have to realize that it just won't happen.  Even if BF released one bonus animal a month, they still would be nowhere NEAR the animal count ZT1 has (and I'm sure some people would be left wanting more)!  Or maybe you just simply enjoy the concept and gameplay of ZT1 more than ZT2.  I think we can all agree at least to some extent that BF did go in a bit of a different direction designing ZT2.

So that was just my thought.  I think that "the game is boring" and "the game needs more bonus content" may both be issues for for some of us, but they're not necessarily related.

That all being said, I personally think the hardest thing is to be without the stuff we SAW on those screenshots, like the Egyptian theme, and got removed before the program shipped!  I was definitely excited about those themes and will certainly be happy if they ever become available for download!     :rolleyes

Offline Zoo

• Game Warden
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 01:36:43 PM »
I don't think this game is boring at all.

IOt's just that BF and MS hasn't had much bonus content.

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 01:49:06 PM »
Peacenote, I think that was a well thought out, well versed comment. I totally agree with you. If you're bored, do something else for awhle. Read a book - see a movie - read a book - write or call your Grannie - read a book - go outside - read a book.

Offline Megaraptor

• Marine Biologist
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 02:56:26 PM »
I fell in love with the First Zt. With a huge list of animals to choose from, it was a game i could play for weeks on end. Not to mention they released loads of animals and stuff.Now they release a game with mediocre graphics, around 32 animals(including the first few downloads), hardly any buildings and only a few types of trees and plants. I would have bought something else, like a book or a movie, if i had known that i would only play it four a week or two before becoming sick of it.

Then they release an expansion with 20 new animals (were now barely over the amount of animals in the original), a shoddy transportation system, and i still grow incredibly bored of the game. If it took them about 1 year to make the entire expansion, don't you think they could've created one animal since november. cleesburg, I agree that if you grow bored with a game, you should read a book, see a movie, or hang out with friends. But you can't just assume that because someone plays a video game, they don't read books or go out. I just finished a 500 page novel in four days, and I didn't read on any weekend days.

I payed hard-earned money for this game and its expansion, and i think its not right that i should get sick of it. And I know that BF doesn't have to make new animals, I'm pretty sure everyone does because that point is always brought up in a discussion like this, and i really respect them for it, but if their gonna promise us new things (like they did earlier), then they should deliver.

Offline Artemis

• Zookeeper
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2006, 03:21:20 PM »
In my opinion, the whole point of ZT2 is to combine and recombine what you have in new and interesting ways. I still haven't gotten bored with it, and I haven't even done all the scenarios (I'm slow :P). I continue to improve my skill in building beautiful zoos, and I usually don't stick with any single zoo for long. How long you play seems to depend on how creative you can be with what is given you.

Offline Xtreme

• Game Warden
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2006, 04:22:43 PM »
Please, everyone, if you read this and absolutely love ZT2, don't say stuff like "You're wrong, Xtreme!" or "ZT2 is the greatest game ever!". I just want someone to support my opinion for once.

ZT2 is not a bad game. It had great potential, and certainly was one of the most hyped-up games of 2004. I remember the day that ZT2 was first officialy announced, with simply two screenshots, and for those two screens, there was fifteen pages of replies in the first day. The rest of 2004 was of people getting so excited, and we would count down the number of days until ZT2 was released. When it was, everyone loved it...............for a few weeks.

BF proved to us with ZT1 that they can make games that will keep you entertained for hours and hours. They gave us 120 official animals, allowed us to create thousands more, and all that stuff. It appealed to many people: it had animals that allowed you to make real-life zoos, dinosaurs in order to let you make a Jurassic Park, marine animals that allowed you to make a Sea World, as well as the ability to mix them all up for a one-of-a-kind zoo.

ZT2 just doesn't do that.

I don't know why. Maybe its because of the lousy graphics (which, ironically, were much better when the game was officially announced). Maybe its because of the bad gameplay. Maybe its because we've only gotten three non-XP animal downloads since its been released. Or maybe its because of the lack of variety. Lots of people on ZA have said that they loved ZT1, hated ZT2, and have officially lost interest in both games after a while. I have a feeling that ZT is going to fall apart soon, because of the lack of fans.

However, that won't be the end of ZA. While it won't be nearly as active as it used to be, it would still be open. I mean, there are still VERY active forums for the original Age of Empires and Starcraft, games that came out almost ten years ago. Zoo Admin would still go, and it would still be active, for another few years or so.

Blue Fang, redeem yourself. Make a game that will appeal to many people. Make a game that has good graphics. And while you're at it, please don't leave the games you've already made in the dust.

Offline AdamfromCanada

• Pooper Scooper
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2006, 04:48:44 PM »
Originally posted by Peacenote@Feb 6 2006, 07:50 PM
If I had a nickel for every time this came up...   :lol

I WAS thinking about this, though, and please no one be offended by MY 2 cents - it's just an observation I had!   ;)   And it was...

While I am not a big fan of pestering BF for new content, or criticizing the lack of it, as some of you already know  :P , I do empathize with those of you that would like to see more as it IS very exciting when you get the announcement that there's something new to download!  And of course it's fun.

However, I'm not really sure that, if the game has truly gotten boring for anyone, that one or two bonus animal downloads is the answer.  I remember back when there was all the hubbub about the Asiatic Black Bear, and I happened to be one of the ones who had it, and I'll tell you, I hardly ever even use it!  Certainly I use it no more than any other animal, and less than my favorites.  I think if the game is boring for you it's probably time to try playing it in a different way, like challenging yourself to build a certain kind of themed zoo, start a yafi zoo, or trying to make your own user download.  Or, possibly, time to take a break and play something else, or even read a book or go to a movie or something!  :lol   Even the greatest games ever can get boring after a while, and normally with those games you move on to something else, and go back later when you miss it.  I highly doubt that there's any game, anywhere, that is so great that it's the only game a large amount of people will ever play forever and ever because they will never get sick of it.  If you're looking for the high amount of animals that are available in ZT1, ZT2 is just a different game and I think you have to realize that it just won't happen.  Even if BF released one bonus animal a month, they still would be nowhere NEAR the animal count ZT1 has (and I'm sure some people would be left wanting more)!  Or maybe you just simply enjoy the concept and gameplay of ZT1 more than ZT2.  I think we can all agree at least to some extent that BF did go in a bit of a different direction designing ZT2.

So that was just my thought.  I think that "the game is boring" and "the game needs more bonus content" may both be issues for for some of us, but they're not necessarily related.

That all being said, I personally think the hardest thing is to be without the stuff we SAW on those screenshots, like the Egyptian theme, and got removed before the program shipped!  I was definitely excited about those themes and will certainly be happy if they ever become available for download!     :rolleyes
I am not sure why whenever this sort of thing comes up, there's always several people who seem to get a bit alarmed that people are challenging Blue Fang and Microsoft.  That's not it at all.  It's simply the way to get what you want in a free market society.  If you require something for whatever good, you should make the manufacturer aware of that need.  

As has been pointed out a couple of times in this thread already, traffic on this site is slowing down dramatically.  That's a BAD sign for BF/MS.  It means that no matter how interested you personally are in the game, it is losing its momentum.  

With the first game, the developers did a great job of keeping people interested.  Want proof?  Look back in time at any date where there was a download released.  It would spur a giant thread on that animal.  There's been almost no downloads that have met with a lot of acclaim with ZT2, mostly because things like flower beds and fences with snow on, while nice to have, really aren't that exciting.  An animal every 3 months or so would likely be enough to at least keep people thinking about the game.  A new animal means people will play the game again, and playing 15 minutes to see the new animal often turns into days.  And if they stay interested, they're more likely to buy the next XP.

Don't pooh-pooh people for bringing this up, because it is IMPORTANT to the designers that they receive feedback.  Feel free to send your feedback too, about how much you love the game, but if I'm Blue Fang, while that's always nice to hear, the more valuable feedback is "what can we do better?"

Offline Megaraptor

• Marine Biologist
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2006, 05:58:19 PM »
Originally posted by Artemis@Feb 6 2006, 05:21 PM
In my opinion, the whole point of ZT2 is to combine and recombine what you have in new and interesting ways. I still haven't gotten bored with it, and I haven't even done all the scenarios (I'm slow :P). I continue to improve my skill in building beautiful zoos, and I usually don't stick with any single zoo for long. How long you play seems to depend on how creative you can be with what is given you.
Well you can't really call someone who gets bored of a game uncreative. i've made some very interesting zoos. And its not designing exhibits that i get bored of. Its the lack of animals from a wide spectrum.

Offline Red-Panda-Freak

• Zookeeper
Lack Of Bonus Content
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2006, 06:21:02 PM »
I just wanted to say that when someone buys a game, they are making the personal choice to buy it.  If the game displeases you, you really have no right to "demand your money's worth," because all that was promised was created and delivered.  While you might like ZT1 better than ZT2, you cannot say that you didn't get your money's worth.
I also agree that if you are bored with the game, one or two bonus animals are not going to recreate the game and make it fresh again.  Just wanted to put in my two cents.