Author Topic: Guests Falling  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Peacenote

• Peaceful Music Soothes the Savage Soul
  • Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
Guests Falling
« on: March 25, 2006, 11:43:06 AM »
Ok.  This is a show and tell, bug report, discussion, and tech support all rolled into one - which is why I put it in General.   :hehe

We've all talked about our guests mysteriously turning up in our exhibits when we used elevated platforms.  It's been happening to me in this new zoo that I've started, to the point where it's affecting my zoo rating because people keep getting stuck in exhibits, and then get mad because they're being chased and have nowhere to rest.  As I suspected, I think the main issue is corners - corners of fences, and now corners of elevated paths.  I have captured in photo one particular spot where guests KEEP walking through the rails instead of turning a corner, and plummet to the ground below.  I tried making a high rail but it did not help, and so I removed it again for photography purposes.

It's really kind of funny to watch, as sometimes guests will do it one right after the other, like lemmings, but it definitely creates problems!  In this particular case, guests aren't falling into an exhibit, but a non developed fenced-in area that they cannot escape from.

Here's the first shot.  The arrow points to the falling guest and the X shows the place where he walked through.

Another guest, falling through the air.

A guest immediately after he went through the rail.

A guest caught IN THE ACT of going through the rail.  It is funny because it actually almost looks like the guest is deliberately wriggling through.

So my question is (and here's the tech support part) has this happened to anyone else and, if so, have you figured out a way to fix or work around the problem?  Is there some type of flaw with my elevated path construction?

And if not (here's the bug report part  ;) ) I really hope this is an issue that they fix with the release of AA!!!

Offline AnimalKingdom

• Zookeeper
Guests Falling
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 12:05:49 PM »
I've tried going into zoo guest mode and tried to fall through the cracks myself.  I know it happens, but i'm not completely sure it's just on the corners.  I have tried to produce the rounded corners for my elevated path as much as possible and I still have the problem.

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
Guests Falling
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 12:51:48 PM »
I don't much use the elevated paths (for that very reason) but I know on the ground it happens when, as you suspect, the corners are squared. It also happens when the fence is right next to an object, but that's not the case here. It just occured to me, after seeing the one of the guest 'deliberately' going through the fence, if that maybe IS what he's doing!? You know how in real zoos they're forever telling people 'stay off the railings'? Well just maybe BF put it in the AI that some guests would randomly DO that! It never occured to me before I saw that picture, though. I have no answer to that, but I DO wonder.... :huh

Offline AnimalKingdom

• Zookeeper
Guests Falling
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 01:41:18 PM »
Certain objects actually cause people and animals to teleport behind them (Small Shelter, Small Wooden Stable).  I really hope this problems are fixed with AA.

Edit: Check that, it's the Large Shelter and the Large Wooden Stable.  If an animal or person (guest or you in zoo guest mode) walks to the side of it, they'll be transported behind it, and if it's up against a fence, they'll wind up on the opposite side of the fence.

Offline Wildlife Enthusiast

• Zookeeper
Guests Falling
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 06:49:28 PM »
I know that I have started keeping objects (ie. bathrooms, carts, playground stuff, etc.) away from tthe edge, and if I want a foodcourt, I use the high fence.  But after looking at your pics, I have a new idea.....
What if it has something to do with what is underneath the area they are falling from???  It looks like you have a bench in the exhibit right below the edge of the elevated path.  Could the guests "sense" it, and be trying to get there????
I've also noticed in my zoos that if I make the elevated paths transparent in order to check on animals, I often have many guests end up in exhibits after I change the paths back.

Offline Penguino

• Game Warden
  • E Spheniscidae, Spheniscidae
Guests Falling
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 02:05:34 AM »
Originally posted by csleesburg@Mar 26 2006, 04:51 AM
You know how in real zoos they're forever telling people 'stay off the railings'? Well just maybe BF put it in the AI that some guests would randomly DO that! It never occured to me before I saw that picture, though. I have no answer to that, but I DO wonder.... :huh
:hehe That's way too funny, Csleesburg! Though if what they wanted is realistic AS (artificial stupidity) they should have the guests sue you after they do that. :very funny

Offline Peacenote

• Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
Guests Falling
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 08:59:21 AM »
Wildlife Enthusiast, I think you're probably right in this case, because I think one of the guests WAS thinking "Going to sit on bench" when he fell.  I didn't even think anything of it! :blink   What I did in this particular case was just edit the fences so the guests fall into the area where the bench is, so if they want to sit on it THAT BADLY.... :hehe

I think I'm also going to try and put a bench right in that area, on the elevated path, to see if that's really what's attracting all the people and to see if they stop jumping.  I'll let you know what happens.

I STILL say this is a pretty big problem, though.  I still have people all the time running around on elevated paths, saying they're being chased by one carnivore or another, because, like you said, they can "sense" them below.  And then my 'keeper goes and crates all of them and suddenly I have no exhibit!

Maybe someone should work on a mod of a building to make it into a law office, just in case!!   :rofl

Offline AnimalKingdom

• Zookeeper
Guests Falling
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 10:04:25 AM »
here's what i'm guessing: before, the coding of people, animal and object placement had two planes which it could be located, the horizontal and vertical axis... look at the game map as a 92x92 grid.  When the game was saved previously a person would be saved as located in position 46x45 (this is simplified, but i did that to make it easier).  Now, with the addition of Endangered Species, we have a new element where people, and objects can be placed... height.  Now I know this was allowable when we raised and lowered terrain, but the people and objects were still on the ground.  Now, height references how far off the ground someone is.  I'm guessing this is where quite a bit of the problems arise when opening a saved game.  

As for people getting into exhibits while the game is in progress, we've addressed many of those issues already.

Offline Peacenote

• Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
Guests Falling
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 10:13:46 AM »
Originally posted by AnimalKingdom@Mar 26 2006, 02:04 PM
Now I know this was allowable when we raised and lowered terrain, but the people and objects were still on the ground. Now, height references how far off the ground someone is. I'm guessing this is where quite a bit of the problems arise when opening a saved game.

As for people getting into exhibits while the game is in progress, we've addressed many of those issues already.
I'd say you're definitely right about this, because before ES, I made an elevation zoo and had exhibits that were at the highest elevation, which people could get to by smoothed hills.  Whenever I put anything up there, like benches or restaurants, the guest AI had a ridiculously hard time because they thought they could just walk right through a cliff to get to where the restaurant was!  Even back then they had height identification issues.

Sorry, I'm a little confused as to what you mean by people getting into exibits and other issues.   :crazy I DID talk about people getting chased by carnivores, but I was talking about people who WEREN'T in exhibits but thought they were.  (Sorry if I'm not making any sense, maybe I'm just not sure what you're getting at!)

Offline AnimalKingdom

• Zookeeper
Guests Falling
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 11:19:54 AM »
I meant, people making there way into exhibits through fence corners and other things that have glitches.  

Also, I think their may be a problem with the Tapir and the Cubbing Den.  I have a huge Tropical Rainforest exhibit with a bunch of different species in it.  For some reason the Tapir's always find themselves in the neighboring Savannah exhibit.  The only explanation I can come up with is that the Cubbing Den that's against the wall of the Tropical Rainforest exhibit is causing this problem for the Tapir (walking to the side of it... getting teleported behind it, etc.)

Offline Wildlife Enthusiast

• Zookeeper
Guests Falling
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 11:42:32 AM »
Did M$/BF do any beta testing of ES at all???  Since programming is what they do for a living, you would think they would have thought about this stuff!!  I think they got in too much of a hurry to release it, and skipped some of the evaluation and finalization changes.  There just so many issues like this with aspects of the game that they used as their major marketing tools [ie. elevated paths (falling guests, can't place fences), transportation (guests fall from trams, jeep tours do seem to affect animal privacy), variant skins (don't show up on babies, or in lower resolutions)]!!!  Since the next Xp is coming out in May, I'm afraid that things will just be worse, unless they started working on it at the same time as ES or something!  I mean I love playing the game, but some of this stuff is just ridiculous!
Sorry, I guess that was way :sofftopic!! :whistle

Offline AnimalKingdom

• Zookeeper
Guests Falling
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 12:37:52 PM »
Typically Microsoft does all their testing in house.  Now, I know Blue fang is a separate entity and separate company, but my guess is that it's the same way.

Offline Penguino

• Game Warden
  • E Spheniscidae, Spheniscidae
Guests Falling
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 01:58:36 AM »
Originally posted by Wildlife Enthusiast@Mar 27 2006, 03:42 AM
Did M$/BF do any beta testing of ES at all???  Since programming is what they do for a living, you would think they would have thought about this stuff!!  I think they got in too much of a hurry to release it, and skipped some of the evaluation and finalization changes.  There just so many issues like this with aspects of the game that they used as their major marketing tools [ie. elevated paths (falling guests, can't place fences), transportation (guests fall from trams, jeep tours do seem to affect animal privacy), variant skins (don't show up on babies, or in lower resolutions)]!!!  Since the next Xp is coming out in May, I'm afraid that things will just be worse, unless they started working on it at the same time as ES or something!  I mean I love playing the game, but some of this stuff is just ridiculous!
Sorry, I guess that was way :sofftopic!! :whistle
Yeah, I have to agree with you, Wildlife Enthusiast.

Offline Animalman

• Pooper Scooper
Guests Falling
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 07:39:08 PM »
I've had that happen to me, no way to fix it...  :sad  :(

Offline cjbear

• Pooper Scooper
Guests Falling
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 11:06:02 AM »
Peacenote,
 I have the same problems!

And then my 'keeper goes and crates all of them and suddenly I have no exhibit!
Me too!

look at the game map as a 92x92 grid. When the game was saved previously a person would be saved as located in position 46x45 (this is simplified, but i did that to make it easier). Now, with the addition of Endangered Species, we have a new element where people, and objects can be placed... height.

I agree!

Offline panda11

• Marine Biologist
    • http://www.frontiernet.net/~TrentonV/
Guests Falling
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 02:56:42 PM »
I think I have figures it out. When guests are on an elevated path, it is like evrything under the path is up on the path. Do you understand what i'm sayign?

Offline GhostWolf

• Pooper Scooper
Guests Falling
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2006, 08:51:09 PM »
Im not having the trouble of guests falling, but somehow they end up in the exhibits just on the regular paths. I noticed it one day because the zoo keeper started tranquilizing my wolves and all the people were screaming but i couldnt figure out why. There was no open part in the fence nor had it been busted. Untill i made the trees invisible then saw a guest was running around in there. Its happened to me 3 times and i cant figure out how they end up in there?

Offline Peacenote

• Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
Guests Falling
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2006, 07:06:18 PM »
Quote from: panda11
I think I have figures it out. When guests are on an elevated path, it is like evrything under the path is up on the path. Do you understand what i'm sayign?

Yep.  I fixed this problem by just making the part were they were falling into connected to the path below.  The only thing I don't get is, if they're trying to get to something underneath the path,  why it also happens with elevated paths over exhibits, as there's nothing in there for them in there!  :laughing:

@GhostWolf:  By any chance are your paths next to sunken exhibits?  Because I also have had that problem, even before ES and elevated paths, and mostly it happened to me when I had sunken exhibits, or curved fencing surrounding the exhibit.  I personally think that those bugs are all related.  :pinch:

Offline sheltiefan

• Beware of parrot
  • Senior Zookeeper
Guests Falling
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2006, 07:55:57 PM »
Another problem I've noticed with both elevated and normal paths is that if you have an object right next to a fence people and animals will become stuck behind the object and often go straight through the fence. Has this happened to anyone else?

Offline ndmpatriot

• Zookeeper
  • Local Dressage Enthusiast
    • Zookeepers Journal
Guests Falling
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006, 02:21:11 PM »
I've never seen any of my guests falling from the paths.

I do however had animals go on the elevated paths and escape from their exhibits. I solved that problem by putting tour gates on the end of the path, so they can't escape, any other solutions out there?

Offline mintralcat

• Senior Zookeeper
    • http://
Guests Falling
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2006, 02:24:30 PM »
my guests never fall either , but when i do use elevaetd paths i get huge ditches underneath

Offline alloy61

• Doctor Who nut
  • Copa Cabana
  • Scientist
Sky Trams not made for Children?
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2006, 02:15:51 PM »
I have something similar to show here, I was just on the sky tram taking pictures for my Show and Tell, one moment the guest was happily sitting:

The next thing I know this happens:

Thankfully she got back into her seat, but they all did it at one point or another, and they are all children in the seats...seatbelts not tightly fastened perhaps?

Offline PapaPanda

• Pooper Scooper
Falling guests
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2007, 06:12:03 AM »
Hi i'm new here  :snew:
Just started Zootycon2 with ES expansion 2 weeks ago.
When i make elevated pathways sometimes guests fall
from it to the exhibit. Even if i enlarge the pathway
to 3 or 5 square wide they still fall down and my
animals keep getting crated because they chase
these guests.
Anyone with same problem and how do you solve that?
 :sthanks:

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Re: Guests Falling
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2007, 09:47:42 AM »
Topic "Falling guests" Merged with "Guests falling" PLease remember to use the search bar at the top of the page. Not only does this get your question answered much faster (because it may already be answered) but it also makes it easier for someone coming along after you to get help with their situation as well. Thank you.

Offline Chimpinater

• Zookeeper
  • I am Dr. Chimpinater!
Re: Guests Falling
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2007, 12:20:46 PM »
Man, those guests do some crazy things, wriggling under  elevated path fences and slipping through the sky tram seat belts :happy2:

Maybe BF made this idea:
High elvated path fences= guests can't see.
low elvated path fences=guests can fall.
 :slol: :surprise: