Author Topic: Herding Behavior  (Read 15406 times)

Offline zookeeper601

• Senior Zookeeper
    • http://www.freewebs.com/zk601navigation/
Herding Behavior
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2006, 01:13:56 AM »
Have you put carnivores in the exhibit because I have seen others say that their animals herd to protect each other and their young??

Offline ace3457

• Pooper Scooper
Herding Behavior
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2006, 09:07:32 AM »
i've seen giant sable antelope and thomson's gazelle herd.

Offline Ironchef

• Senior Zookeeper
  • Super Hero is my Secret Identity
Herding Behavior
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2006, 02:00:01 PM »
Have you ever seen a pack of predators hunting together?

Offline conservationkid

• Zookeeper
    • http://
Herding Behavior
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2006, 07:39:20 AM »
yes i have seen lions do it alot Ironchef, it is actually really cool

Offline breyer

• Pooper Scooper
Herding Behavior
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2006, 08:34:42 AM »
Has anyone seen lions hunting together because I thought in ES they were ment to?

Offline africanwilddog

• Senior Zookeeper
  • Mbwa Mwitu
Herding Behavior
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2006, 11:43:26 AM »
Just a request... can someone pls post a Pack Hunting pic.

Do different species herd with each other? Like wildebeest and zebra? Or is it like if you make a mixed exhibit with Masai giraffe, zebra, wildebeest and warthog exhibit for example and don't put any food/enrichment/shelter immediately, all the giraffes go to one side, the zebras to another, and so on. I hope they herd together!!

Offline Simba

• Zookeeper
Herding Behavior
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2006, 01:38:08 AM »
I too want a pack hunting pic please!

Offline rightEyElash

• Affiliates
  • Pooper Scooper
    • http://www.geocities.com/zookapi
Herding Behavior
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2006, 12:00:25 AM »
I have to admit that the new hunting behavior is pretty cool. The animals actually get knocked down when the predator swipes at them instead of just lying down. I will try to get a pic. I am going to have to try to place predators in an exhibit and see if the rest of the animals herd. But I would rather have them herd at all times. Maybe the males would be on their own but the females should always be together. That would be realistic.

Offline Rosinas Cat

• Feline Friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Cool Cat
Herding Behavior
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2006, 12:01:49 AM »
Oh wow, herding! Sorry, but as someone who hasn't got AA yet, this all sounds fantastic! Roll on Friday!:IloveZA:

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
Herding Behavior
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2006, 12:10:32 AM »
When I put some African buffalo in with some crocs, when the crocs approached, the buffalo put their backs to the females and kind of 'circled the wagons' against the crocs. The crocs left, by the way (smart move). But later, I saw a buffalo carcass, so I guess one of the crocs got one.

Offline Rosinas Cat

• Feline Friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Cool Cat
Herding Behavior
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2006, 12:15:35 AM »
Oh wow! I know people had certain expectations about AA and these may not have been met, but I don't think anyone can say BF haven't put some serious thought into this game! :IloveZA: and AA, even though I don't even have it yet!:happy:

Offline zookeeper601

• Senior Zookeeper
    • http://www.freewebs.com/zk601navigation/
Herding Behavior
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2006, 01:08:31 AM »
I can't wait, only a couple of days left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline africanwilddog

• Senior Zookeeper
  • Mbwa Mwitu
Herding Behavior
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2006, 11:53:58 AM »
I can't wait either, I'm getting both ES and AA off Amazon!!!!!!

I can't wait to see the new pack hunting. Especially with African Wild Dogs!!!!!

:IloveZA: BTW.

Offline Pavocristantus

• Zookeeper
  • We eat Ham and Jam and Spamalot!
Herding Behavior
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2006, 11:59:24 AM »
I've not seen much herding behaviour but I only got it today which is kinda weird as it supposed to come out in Europe tommorow :blink: oh well im happy about that! Although having said that i have seen the Barbary apes following each other about

Offline lamna

• Senior Zookeeper
Herding Behavior
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2006, 12:40:45 PM »
1 day till UK gets it. I built a giant african exhibt once, i have ES and i dont notice any herding at all, they just spred out  normaly in groups of 1s and 2s.

Offline kestera

• Pooper Scooper
Herding Behavior
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2006, 12:52:04 PM »
So far the best animal to see the herding behavoir is they herd lots.  I have pics of them herding together into large group but i don't know how to post pics.

Silvertab

Herding Behavior
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2006, 04:34:18 AM »
The Przewalski horses gather in herds aswell the male calls them and all the females finish what they are doing and go over to the dominant male who is already leading some of the herd to another area in the exhibit and usually one by one they start to drop out and get back to their normal lives

Offline Wildlife Enthusiast

• Zookeeper
Herding Behavior
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2006, 12:58:54 PM »
Quote from: kestera
So far the best animal to see the herding behavoir is they herd lots.  I have pics of them herding together into large group but i don't know how to post pics.

kestera, I think you left out a word between is and they......What is the animal you are referring to in this post?? :huh: :happy:

Offline Cowgirl14

• Pooper Scooper
Herding Behavior
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2006, 01:53:23 PM »
Well, I know what u guys r talking about. I have seen the herding behavior 2 except I don't have AA. I once had a Common Zebra in ES "moving as if in a herd".

Offline Elysian

• Pooper Scooper
Herding Behavior
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2006, 05:38:38 PM »
THe first time I put zebras in the same exhibit after getting AA . . . odd things happened >.< Whenever the lions' status said "hunting zebra 2 as a pride" or something, all of the lions just froze, and didn't move. No tail swishing, no nothing. Then, when a single lion was hunting a zebra and the zebra's status turned to "running away," all of the zebras just froze, like the lions. I had to pick each one up and wait for their little green sillhouette thing to start moving, then put it back down and it was fine. It was strange, though. They alwayd di that unless I separated the liosn and zebras. I hope that gets fixed >.< I did put african buffalo or something and african wild dogs together, and the buffalo were 'acting aggressively' toward the dogs, and the dogs ran away, and nobody froze. *shrug* I dunno.

- Elysian

Offline banmenowBK

• Pooper Scooper
Herding Behavior
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2006, 06:33:31 PM »
Ermm, that's weird about the wate buffalo, I know the grizzly bears stick together.

Offline alloy61

• Doctor Who nut
  • Copa Cabana
  • Scientist
Herding Behavior
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2006, 01:34:02 AM »
Quote from: Cowgirl14
Well, I know what u guys r talking about. I have seen the herding behavior 2 except I don't have AA. I once had a Common Zebra in ES "moving as if in a herd".

I've seen the buffalo and prezwalski's horses in ES saying that too, but they never looked much like a herd doing it - I'm guessing AA has improved the animations for it

Offline africanwilddog

• Senior Zookeeper
  • Mbwa Mwitu
Herding Behavior
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2006, 11:31:37 AM »
Does the herding behavior mean that they only move as a herd in single file when the alpha calls and when hunting/defending or do they also move around the exhibit, graze, rest, etc in herds?
PS dn't have ES or AA but I've done a lot of research on animals in ZT2 (by making exhibits and then watching and waiting), and noticed that with the moose, females normally all stick together in small groups, while males occupy the opposite end of the exhibit in small batchelor herds, and the two only interact while mating. Otherwise all  the other social behavior takes place with the same gender.
Also I noticed during my Zebra-Giraffe-Gazelle research exhibit, the giraffe just walked through singly but the zebras gathered in two separate groups of five.
And I'e noticed small amounts of herding behavior in Asian Elephant. There is some herding in ZT2 too, I think.

Offline naturelover5

• Zookeeper
Herding Behavior
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2006, 10:39:39 PM »
P. Wild horses herd. I had this zoo and I made 4 herds of 20. With one extra male named Herdless Buck. And Buck would walk around the zoo(and this was a large map) calling for a herd and he ended up with like 40 females! he got it to so many fights. it was kind of cool though because he stayed towards the outer edges of the herds and called the ones who wandered away!

Offline nicholasloh

• Pooper Scooper
Herding Behavior
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2006, 11:00:47 PM »
Alloy, the buffalo doesnt come with ES.