Author Topic: Ideas for designing zoos?  (Read 5279 times)

Offline Eriorguez

• Zookeeper
    • http://
Re: Ideas for designing zoos?
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2007, 12:09:39 PM »
My advice? Mixed exibit experimentation. Flamingoes and peacocks work great together, so try it. That's my motto: Mix.

And try what everybody said.

Offline wolfkid92

• Scientist
  • The Wolf Within
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2007, 01:13:31 PM »
every zoo ive been to have had peacocks in with lions for some odd reason, or at least they make it look that way

Offline zoo_tycoon_person

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2007, 01:58:59 PM »
I love that whole roof idea for exihibits! I'll have to try some. :sthanks:

Offline wolfkid92

• Scientist
  • The Wolf Within
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2007, 05:10:13 PM »
heres an idea, a floating platform! i just made one!
take a look:

Offline DinoMania

• Zookeeper
  • Go!! Pokemon Team!!
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2007, 05:17:03 PM »
In some of my zoo I put a large sitting area with some trees and a male peecock roming around AND the quest dont conplan!! Well for me. :slol: :popcorn:

Offline Chimpinater

• Zookeeper
  • I am Dr. Chimpinater!
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2007, 03:56:59 PM »
This may sound a little dumb but I make little hatcheries from those heat lamps

Offline Alpha Dilophosaur

• Scientist
  • I reject your reality, and substitute my own!
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »
I suggest lots and lots of trees. It helps fill up blank spots on the map, and adds some scenery touches. Also, add elevation to areas that you dont plan to but anything on besides trees. It helps break up the monotony of flat ground. I also sometimes use two rows of low hedge fences, one parallel to the other with one space between them. Fill those open one spaces with bamboo. It helps add a scenery to your zoo without having to add in statues and stuff.

Offline Fennec Nichov

• Compost Pile
  • Zookeeper
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2007, 02:54:48 AM »
I don't really have much to offer, but I like mixed-exhibits. And keep in mind you don't even need to build a zoo at all! You can build a racetrack, a swimming pool, a live lizard hunting ground and more!

Offline huntergaber@seaworld

• Pooper Scooper
  • I absolutely LOVE SeaWorld and Shamu :)
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2007, 03:39:31 PM »
Awesome ideas!!! I LOVE them!!!

Huntergaber@seaworld ~   :dolphin

Offline Fennec Nichov

• Compost Pile
  • Zookeeper
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2007, 03:23:38 AM »
Yeah. I love to make them. It's fun!

Offline dinofreak

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2007, 04:19:00 AM »

This may sound a little dumb but I make little hatcheries from those heat lamps

Same here I do that all the time!I build and octagon exihbat,add costal sand make a hill with wetland/boreal dirt and add a lamp

Offline Jaguar

• Zookeeper
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2007, 08:49:26 AM »
Here are many things I use to build my zoos, I try to make my zoos as realistic as possible.:

• Base your zoo off a real zoo map (San Diego Zoo, Zoo Atlanta, Bronx Zoo, Louisville Zoological Gardens, Milwaukee County Zoo etc.)
  • Use a diverse mix of animals (You might get bored using the same animals over and over.)
  • Have your guest areas look realistic, meaning trees, flowerbeds, and other scenery should be near.
  • Use "realistic" fences such as the wooden fences, the iron bar, wood and rope, etc., I only use themed fences for themed areas and usually not for exhibits, except when they too need to be themed.
  • When making themed areas, for example the Amazon Rainforest, you might want to put a river that runs through all the exhibits, and for a Rocky Mountains area, you might want all the terrain in and around the animal's habitats to by hilly.
  • Make "indoor" animal houses, they look realistic, and official, how often do you see reptiles outdoors in zoos outside of a nice climate such as North Dakota or in Europe?
  • As I state before, I like my zoos realistic, so I use the grassland biome for my animals, though I use trees from their natural biome.
  • Try as much as you can to replicate an animal's natural habitat, even though I use grassland, I put in trees from their natural habitat, and give them lots of stimulation.
  • Use predator-prey habitats, meaning that have a carnivore's exhibit overlook it's natural prey's habitat, such as having a jaguar exhibit overlooking a Barid's tapir exhibit, or having a lion exhibit overlooking a common zebra exhibit.
  • Don't always make tanks for your animals, you can make natual pools instead, it looks alot better in my opinion, although tanks are better for a habitat if your on the go.
  • I personally dislike marine shows in real life, so I don't make them in the game, but I do have one tip, don't make your grandstands so big, guests hardly ever fill them to a full capacity, kind of like a game where a team is having a losing season and their fans don't show up. :D

Well, that's all I got, for now, I have tons more actually.

Offline horsefever827

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2007, 03:20:12 PM »
One thing I do, since I don't like putting up with the guests, is build sanctuaries! You pick an animal or two, close tha zoo, get a sturdy fence from the zookeeper picks, fence off the entrance, and put all the animals needs in all around the zoo ( in a variety of places, of course), and then put the animals in! It's funner with multiple species, though. And you need to use a large map. Put in a reasonable amount of animals, though (Example: Don't put four animals on a large map. Eight to twelve would do of a smaller species) Place the number of animals in the zoo according to their size and how much space they need.