Author Topic: Most Interesting Critters?  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Ralli

• Pooper Scooper
Most Interesting Critters?
« on: December 02, 2006, 04:20:01 PM »
I'm very easily bored with ZT2, no matter how much I love it.  I'd just like to see more interesting behavior and interactions, I just don't know if there are more of that in different animals or not.  So far my favorites are meerkats (though I'm probably biased, I love the little guys anyway), but I'd really like some more advice.  I'm not looking for advice for a challenge in the game, but again, advice for animals with the more interesting behavior and actions- keep that in mind.

Offline Iwuvmyparakeetz

• Zookeeper
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 04:30:18 PM »
I think the primates are very intersting. They're always up to something.....

Offline zookeeper601

• Senior Zookeeper
    • http://www.freewebs.com/zk601navigation/
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 01:25:54 AM »
Well, it's a tough one but I suppose multiple male herbivores (horned are best) are good because they bring out the fighting behaviour but whereas carnivores kill, herbs just walk away.

Enrichment is good too, try to make a big exhibit and put as many different enrichment items for that animal in as you can, then you'll see different behaviors (e.g. stuffed dummy for cats, seal dummy for sharks, dino prey dummy [if you have dd] for rhinos)

You could always go for natural exhibits and put in carns and herbs with no carn food but herb food. When they kill a herb, let them all eat from it then delete the remains and replace the herb. The best thing to do this with would be lions or wolves and herding animals, then you'd see herds behaving aggressively and carns hunting as a pack.

One I use all the time is this: Don't use an animal for ages, then when you do use it a while later, your interest will be rekindled. I haven't used the RTLemur for a few months so when I use it again it will be more interesting than something I use all the time.

Offline zoo_tycoon2

• Zookeeper
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 04:48:52 PM »
my favorite animal right now has got to be the gerenuk (i actually find it very interesting to watch, especially if you have 10-20 in a big exhibit!!

also, meerkats are really fun to watch.

-brett.

Offline starwolfie

• Zookeeper
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 01:20:35 AM »
Quote from: zookeeper601;162528
Well, it's a tough one but I suppose multiple male herbivores (horned are best) are good because they bring out the fighting behaviour but whereas carnivores kill, herbs just walk away.

Enrichment is good too, try to make a big exhibit and put as many different enrichment items for that animal in as you can, then you'll see different behaviors (e.g. stuffed dummy for cats, seal dummy for sharks, dino prey dummy [if you have dd] for rhinos)

You could always go for natural exhibits and put in carns and herbs with no carn food but herb food. When they kill a herb, let them all eat from it then delete the remains and replace the herb. The best thing to do this with would be lions or wolves and herding animals, then you'd see herds behaving aggressively and carns hunting as a pack.

One I use all the time is this: Don't use an animal for ages, then when you do use it a while later, your interest will be rekindled. I haven't used the RTLemur for a few months so when I use it again it will be more interesting than something I use all the time.
Zoo keeper gives very good advice

Offline goldenpuon

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 12:39:00 PM »
I like to put dozens of animals like zebra and wildebeast in 1 exhabit so I can view them in large numbers.  The only problem is when they decide to travel as a herd for awhile and then they get really thirsty and hungry.

Offline Fennec Nichov

• Compost Pile
  • Zookeeper
Re: Most Interesting Critters?
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 09:05:34 PM »
Fennec foxes! Oh, and meerkats are fun too.

Offline Chimpinater

• Zookeeper
  • I am Dr. Chimpinater!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 11:41:18 AM »
Yeah Meerkats are feisty little critters. I bet a group could hold off a few lions. :run:

Offline Army Kid

• Zookeeper
  • Computer Geek!
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 12:35:36 PM »
I am a big Oryx fan, so I really like the Gemsboks and Scimitar Horned Oryxes. I also like the Gerenuks and Secretary Birds.

BUT...My favorite is.........Emperor Penguin! I like how they have realistic behaviors, like huddling together. Then one chirps and they all reply, then go they eat.

Offline spiderdraco

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 10:52:59 PM »
Have you seen the gibbons walk?
They're incredibly funny, moving and waving their arms like if they were crazy...!
 :happy2:
Also, i enjoy looking at any big cat (specially tigers, they're my favorites), and the way the stalk and hunt their prey; and an animal that i found very interesting is the fennec fox. It's cute, like a living plush toy.

Offline Fennec Nichov

• Compost Pile
  • Zookeeper
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 01:26:50 AM »
Fennec foxes, huh? Yay, thank you thank you! Yup, those crested gibbons are SOOOOOOO funny when they walk and especially when they run. :slol: :slol: :slol: :slol:

Offline Queen Layla

• Pooper Scooper
  • I love grey wolves,do you?
    • Animallover88's Fourms
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 07:51:43 AM »
Yeah,they're soooooooooooo funny!!!Fennic Foxes,lions,crocs,elephants,tigers because if you put the rock pool in their exibit(if you have ES)they jump and play in that,and the animals I love the most.......All the Dogs(wolves,wild dogs etc) :clap: :clap: :slol:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 07:53:23 AM by Queen Layla »

Offline kiwibuddy

• Marine Biologist
  • Takahe
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 08:16:41 AM »
I have to agree about the crested gibbons. They do make funny noises. :bounce: I also think the secretary bird is pretty neat. The way it walks, the noises it makes, but it bugs me how they kill each other and you never get a message about it.  :blink: However, I noticed that some animals, even though they're different species, they act very similar to other animals.

Examples: Caracals-Lynxes, Nile monitors-Komodo Dragons, Pygmy Hippos-Hippos, Most of the Antelope, As well as others.
Maybe it's just me, but I think every animal should have some unique/different behavior just so they're all special.

Offline Pastcat

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 04:06:49 PM »
I like to watch the hyenas and the tigers.

Offline Seadragon

• Zookeeper
  • Hunting for dogs...
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 07:57:48 PM »
I like watching the crocdiles, mainly.

Offline rtully

• Pooper Scooper
  • I love the smell of biology in the morning.
    • Dizzy Technology and Gaming
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 04:03:36 PM »
I like making huge herds of Artiodactyla and Perrissodactyla (even and odd toed Ungulates).  They exhibit realistic herding behavior. I also like all animals from the order Felidae (cats).