Author Topic: Problem that only occurs in high settings  (Read 1404 times)

Offline KalahariMeerkat

• Pooper Scooper
Problem that only occurs in high settings
« on: February 21, 2007, 08:13:12 PM »
 :snew:Whenever I play my game in high, medium or custom settings strange things start to happen.  First the screen turns black in certain areas. Then the shops and restaurants will grow "peaks" from their roofs and these peeks will then grow across the whole screen.     This all started when I bought Engdangered Species whenever I would put up jeep rides or skytrams.  At first animals would start changing colors I just passed it off as a goofy variant and the silliness of some Microsoft programmer.  But it soon started happining to trees, plants, people and everything else in the game.  Everything works fine if I play the game on low settings but I want to see my variant skins and the other goodies of High settings.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 08:21:06 PM by KalahariMeerkat »

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Re: Problem that only occurs in high settings
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 08:28:09 PM »
Have you installed any user made files?

Have you edited any of the files yourself?

Have you tried resinstalling?

Have you tried updating your graphics drivers?  I'm going to tell you a quick way to check for driver updates. As long as you have XP and are connected to the internet (can't tell you how to do it with other systems unfortunately) Right click on "My Computer" on your desktop (or in your start menu). Then go to "Properties". Next You'll want to click the Harware tab at the top (it shoud be between "computer name" and "Advanced". Now that you haev selected the Hardware tab, select the "Device Manager" button. This will bring up a list of all of the hardware that your computer has. Go to "Display Adapters" and click the little plus sign. It should bring down a one or two things. Mine, for instance, has "Radeon 9550" and "Radeon 9550 Secondary". Right click on the first one and hit "Update driver". XP will automatically go into the web and search for a driver update. If it doesn't come up with anything type in google the name of the card (in my case, I would type "Radeon 9550 drivers"). Hopefully this works!

Offline lilgamefreek

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 08:29:08 PM »
Likely because your computer isn't powerful enough. The strange thing is it started happening after you installed Endangered Species. I'm assuming this means you had high settings on before the installation.

What are your system specs?

Then again, what you're describing isn't really what you'd expect from low specs. I suggest you do what Mikaboshi posted first.

Offline KalahariMeerkat

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 05:19:15 PM »

Have you installed any user made files?

Have you edited any of the files yourself?

Have you tried resinstalling?

Have you tried updating your graphics drivers?  I'm going to tell you a quick way to check for driver updates. As long as you have XP and are connected to the internet (can't tell you how to do it with other systems unfortunately) Right click on "My Computer" on your desktop (or in your start menu). Then go to "Properties". Next You'll want to click the Harware tab at the top (it shoud be between "computer name" and "Advanced". Now that you haev selected the Hardware tab, select the "Device Manager" button. This will bring up a list of all of the hardware that your computer has. Go to "Display Adapters" and click the little plus sign. It should bring down a one or two things. Mine, for instance, has "Radeon 9550" and "Radeon 9550 Secondary". Right click on the first one and hit "Update driver". XP will automatically go into the web and search for a driver update. If it doesn't come up with anything type in google the name of the card (in my case, I would type "Radeon 9550 drivers"). Hopefully this works!

I tried to do what you said but I don't seem to have a "device manager" button. It's probably a good thing because I'm scared to death I'll do something wrong and permintaly mess my coumputer up.  Thank you so much for trying to help me though.

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 05:31:52 PM »
Well you can't screw up updating drivers really :p

I still need you to answer my questions before I can try to help you further. And the method my only work on XP so if you have any other OS I don't know how to best help you

Offline Zoo Titan

• Zookeeper
  • The Valiant Knight, ready to defend at all costs
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 04:43:53 AM »
Also before you do anything big (like installing something really big or important, or such as editing files), you should create a restore point.

To do this, open your control panel (this is on a Windows XP and the control panel is on category view not classic view) click on performance and maintainence, then on the left side bar in the "see also" box. Click on system restore. When it pops up, select "Create a restore point" then keep clicking next until a text box comes up, when it does, type in the name of the restore point (make sure you make it something that sticks out and that you can remeber. Don't put something like "Restore point 1")
after that click the next or finish button (can't remember at the moment) and it will save that point. If you need to ever use it, then when the system restore program pops select, "Restore computer to an earlier time" this will restore lost or changed information but you will not lose new information. (Like that school report that you worked for 2 weeks on ;) ) After that just follow System Restore's instructions. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 04:45:57 AM by Zoo Titan »

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 10:54:35 PM »
I had this EXACT same problem. Put the graphics on custom, put every setting where you want it except Terrain Texture Size which must be low ;)