Author Topic: Hungry animals with plenty of food  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Almogavers

• Pooper Scooper
Hungry animals with plenty of food
« on: February 25, 2007, 05:19:15 AM »
Hello

I've a problem that has happened several times with different animals. They're plenty of food and water but I don't know why they don't eat nor drink and I'm always getting messages warning about that.

Is it a bug or what I'm missing?

Thanks

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Re: Hungry animals with plenty of food
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 05:23:02 AM »
Are you experiencing the problem with official animals or with downloads? Some of the downloads have not been updated for use in the later expansions.

Also, are you making sure that you give the food to them in a dish they can reach? Some can't use the troughs, for example.

Additionally, are you using a lot of hills in your exhibit? I find that some animals find it hard to reach food if the terrain is too bumpy.

Offline Almogavers

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 05:48:18 AM »
Are you experiencing the problem with official animals or with downloads? Some of the downloads have not been updated for use in the later expansions.

Also, are you making sure that you give the food to them in a dish they can reach? Some can't use the troughs, for example.

Additionally, are you using a lot of hills in your exhibit? I find that some animals find it hard to reach food if the terrain is too bumpy.

Official animals, now I'm having that problem with some black leopards. I've put them food in all the ways everywhere: dishes, on the floor, ... and nothing, they are still hungry and don't eat. Not all of them, there're four in the exhibit and only two have this problem.

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 05:58:42 AM »
try crating and uncrating the animals that are having the problem. This may help get them out of a loop of inaction and get them to eat

Offline Almogavers

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 06:35:17 AM »
try crating and uncrating the animals that are having the problem. This may help get them out of a loop of inaction and get them to eat

No. Nothing changes. When I built the exhibit everything worked right, but some time later, I don't no why, leopards began not eating, and now I have all of them hungry. I've given one for adoption, I've changed the keeper, ... I'm thinking in getting rid of those leopards an buy another animal.

Offline Crookshankz227

• Game Warden
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 08:15:53 AM »
Is the food next to a fence? Sometimes they can't approach it from the correct angle. Try giving different kinds of food as well - sometimes they just don't like certain types of food.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 08:17:24 AM by Crookshankz227 »

Offline Peacenote

• Peaceful Music Soothes the Savage Soul
  • Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 09:17:51 AM »
Sometimes this happens with carnivores if you have a male challenging another male.  Every time the one being challenged goes to eat, the challenger goes up and challenges and keeps him from eating.  Usually when I see a really hungry  male it's a red flag for me that I have to get rid of one of my males....or pretty soon one ends up as a carcass!

Offline sloomski

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 09:20:43 AM »
this is happening alot to me also. i built a hippo exhibit with an underwater viewing area (tank walls) and they always go in the red for everything. once i built a new exhibit for them without the tank they were fine. its strange though.  :iloveZA: lol

Offline goldenpuon

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 11:07:57 AM »
Try bulldozing the food and water dishes and putting out fresh food.  My animals who are not eating or drinking typically investigate a new food source when it is first put out and normally eat from it soon afterwards unless something distracts them.

Offline Chimpinater

• Zookeeper
  • I am Dr. Chimpinater!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 12:50:24 PM »
Try making a smaller exhibit with more food and drink :iloveZA:

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 02:52:19 AM »
also, sometimes animals prefer food in other forms besides dishes? Maybe try on the ground and carcasses and such. Although, you'd think it would work in dishes too...

Offline BottleNoseDolphin1

• Zookeeper
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 07:10:29 PM »
A coulple of my sea lions like to stay in this one corner of the exibit and i have to manully put them next to the food. but they will only eat from the lure buoy with fish. they just 'look' at the fish that are on land when there half starving to death!  :eek: