Author Topic: What do animals fight over?  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Peacenote

• Peaceful Music Soothes the Savage Soul
  • Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
What do animals fight over?
« on: April 03, 2007, 08:36:37 PM »
OK bear with me for a second here!

I had a crazy and fun idea for a project that I am working on.  Basically I thought I might use ZT2 in a presentation I have to make a point, for fun and clarity.  However it's been a while since I've actually played (:() so I was hoping some of you might know some of the answers to my questions so I don't have to spend a bunch of time setting up experiments in ZT2 to find out.   :rofl2:

Basically I would like to find an object that is so attractive to a group of animals when you put it down they all will stop whatever they are doing and try to use it.  The trick is I ideally need it to be something something that can only be used by one animal at a time, and I would really like it if when they can't use it that they would try to fight over it.  So my first question is, do animals ever fight over anything BESIDES a mate?  If the answer is yes, what is it?  Preferably I would like it to be something herbivores want so they don't kill each other over it, but just fight.  If the answer is no, my next question is, WHEN do animals fight for mates?  Is it only when they want to mate, or if you stick (for example) a male wolf in a group of female wolves will they automatically start fighting over him?

My next question is, might there be something else of a greater attraction than the first item to these animals, that when I place it in the enclosure they all stop fighting or gravitating towards the first object and go investigate the second?

My last question is, for those of you who code, would it be easy/quick to change an already existing object to be this desirable if that's the only requirement, or is it in the animal's code, as opposed to the object, that makes the animal want to use it/go to it/fight for it?  I'm pretty sure it's in the object code but I can't remember for sure.

Thanks very much for any suggestions/ideas/info!!!   :ty1:

Offline Cuddly Panda

• Scientist
  • Boss of Cuddly Panda Films
    • Cuddly Panda Films - See my movies!
Re: What do animals fight over?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
As far as I know, they do not fight over objects. However, they do fight over mates. Wolves are the best to use - they will fight for a mate at any time whatsoever, you just have to watch.

The second question - put almost any new enrichment item in and all almost all animals will investigate it. It's interesting to watch in wolves, they walked up to it and **** their heads.

The last question I can't answer.
But I just thought, do you know how to record videos in ZT? If you don't there is a computer program called Fraps you can download for free off the official site (www.fraps.com).
(For all those people who aren't Peacenote, please don't just download Fraps and stuff your zoo vids all over YouTube or any other video hoster site, 'cos as far as I knwo nobody else on the forum's heard of Fraps, and I like to be unique... you get the picture)

Offline Panda Lover

• Pooper Scooper
    • PandaMania
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 09:09:29 AM »
My animals always fight over mates or more space, that's all.

Offline Peacenote

• Peaceful Music Soothes the Savage Soul
  • Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 10:30:53 AM »
Thanks, you two.  And that is not a bad idea to record either.  I was hoping to do a live demonstration but to be safe that might be the next best thing.

If I had more time I'd like to program something that they fight over...but time I definitely don't have!   :rofl2:

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 10:38:59 AM »
Oops sorry Jill I didn't see this thread before!

1. Especially when an exhibit is new, ALL animals will flock to the new enrichment or food you put down for them. And if you put one thing, and they start going for it, and then you add something else, their attention will be re-diverted almost immediately. Short attention spans I guess :P

2. Animals will fight over space and over mates, as well as if they find their exhibit mates tasty. All fighting does not end in death (except for the hunting part haha), and all mating fights do not end in immediate breeding. My giraffes often fight, as do my ibex, but it seems more as a dominance thing first; later the mating fights are established.

3. As for the changing of the desirability of an object, its possible but without having the files right in front of me (or someone who knows more about it around lol) I can't give you an honest answer right now.