Author Topic: Ratels=Grassland?  (Read 1749 times)

Offline KalahariMeerkat

• Pooper Scooper
Ratels=Grassland?
« on: April 10, 2007, 08:11:45 PM »
One thing that really bothers me about African Adventure is how when you click on what biome is advised for ratels it gives you grassland.  In all the books and nature shows I've seen about them it shows them in what you think would be a Savannah.  Ratels are also a predator of meerkats so maybe they should be put in scrub.   seceretary birds have this problem too.  

Offline hupdo1593

• Senior Zookeeper
  • Palawan peacock pheasant
Re: Ratels=Grassland?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 08:36:57 PM »
hmm... well i believe they are both compatible with savannah, so i would just place them in a savannah enclosure if you are concerned with their biome.

Offline DinoMania

• Zookeeper
  • Go!! Pokemon Team!!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 09:12:12 PM »
Well for most animals there capable with more then the one biome, for dino exhibits i ALL put them in a Grassland exhibit  :eggjuggle

Offline Cuddly Panda

• Scientist
  • Boss of Cuddly Panda Films
    • Cuddly Panda Films - See my movies!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:56:30 PM »
Yes, Blue Fang could improve on this one. If you are a coder you can change to the best biome.

(There was no grass until after the dinosaurs, DinoMania)

Offline yoba333

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 02:54:50 PM »
i once put a medium grassland rock in my ratel cage and when the ratel climbed on it guests were all like, it's wierd seeing ratel 1 climb on rocks not from it's biome.

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 03:12:55 PM »
Well when i look them up in U of M's Animal Diversity Web, it says

"The ratel exists mostly in temperate climates, and not in overtly hot and arid, or wet and dense ones, such as jungles and deserts. (Neal, 1986. Killingly and Long, 1983)"

Terrestrial Biomes:
savanna or grassland ; forest .

Now, when we think grassland, we think all green and stuff, but grassland in michigan is not always like that and I'm sure its not always like that in Africa either. Here is are some shots of Michigan's:

Now, at first look, especially the bottom, may look Savannah-esque, but I assure you that there is no Savannah in Michigan. I think that the biomes are correct.

Offline badisbadis101

• Senior Zookeeper
    • My Projects
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 03:20:56 PM »
yes, mikas right and anyway, i think grassland is a underused biome (in terms of animals) and savannah is overused

Offline wolfkid92

• Scientist
  • The Wolf Within
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 04:03:10 PM »
ADW says this about the biomes:
 tropical savanna and grassland

A terrestrial biome. Savannas are grasslands with scattered individual trees that do not form a closed canopy. Extensive savannas are found in parts of subtropical and tropical Africa and South America, and in Australia.

savanna

A grassland with scattered trees or scattered clumps of trees, a type of community intermediate between grassland and forest. See also Tropical savanna and grassland biome.

temperate grassland

A terrestrial biome found in temperate latitudes (>23.5? N or S latitude). Vegetation is made up mostly of grasses, the height and species diversity of which depend largely on the amount of moisture available. Fire and grazing are important in the long-term maintenance of grasslands.

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 05:18:37 PM »
Umm, except it doesnt say temperate grassland.

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Mellivora_capensis.html

I'm not sure if you are backing up that ratels are in grassland, or if you are trying to say that they aren't lol

Offline DinoMania

• Zookeeper
  • Go!! Pokemon Team!!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 05:22:54 PM »
I Know There WAS no grass in the Time Of The Dinosaurs But You Never And Wouldn't you think grass would be hard to presever in a fossil???
I Put Them in there becouse thats the only one all of them seem to like....