Author Topic: Guests want a place to sit and eat  (Read 1643 times)

Offline casey

• Administrator
  • Marine Biologist
Guests want a place to sit and eat
« on: January 19, 2005, 08:02:33 PM »
Posted by: sara_dippity Dec. 3 2004, 01:11 AM
it's unbeleivable. Specifically, ZT1 before the patch. You remember, cries of anguish from hungry guests even though the place was full of restraunts and food courts? Anyone else remember? Well, how many picnic tables do I have to put down before I silence the guest's requests for a place to sit and eat? I mean, I got like eight empty tables right next to the food stands!!! There are picnic tables just a breath away, and guests can definately sit in them to eat, I've made sure to look in case I got the positioning of the table next to the path wrong! Urgh, just sit down and eat you freaks!!!  

Posted by: Tasmanian_tiger Dec. 3 2004, 03:02 AM
I must say, I don't have this problem. Once, however, they couldn't reach the food carts, this was because I placed tables in front of them. Though, there seemily was enough distance, the guests couldn't pass..  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Dec. 3 2004, 03:32 AM
They do tend to do that though- I think you need to put lots of seats all around the zoo, not just in the food court. Seem to need plenty of space between the tables too as i have had maintenance men that cannot pick up the rubbish though I thought there plenty of room. I know this happens in the tutorials/campaign and is annoying.
I guess we either all get more experienced and learn to deal with the problems- or maybe it is just crazy and a bug in the game  

Posted by: Tasmanian_tiger Dec. 3 2004, 04:46 AM
Hmm, well looking at ZT1, bugs will probably get fixed. Ah, I still remember the frustration with ZT1, though.  

Posted by: puff_cake Dec. 3 2004, 05:22 AM
I remember the guests used to fall out of the boats and drown.  

Posted by: flamethrower Dec. 3 2004, 08:00 AM
ZT2 tends to make you build everything spaciously. Don't build crowded areas.

Use the ZK's assign grid to see where guests could walk and not walk.  

Posted by: sara_dippity Dec. 4 2004, 03:49 PM
(flamethrower @ Dec. 3 2004, 11:00 AM)
ZT2 tends to make you build everything spaciously.  Don't build crowded areas.

It has space. Plenty. They can definately get in and out of the tables with no problems. Also many benches availible, and lots of open seating, nothing too crowded. It was a scenario that I won, so I can't test my new theroy, but it suddenly occured to me that maybe they wanted restraunts. Like not, "Hey, I need a place to sit so I can eat this burger" but "Hey, I want to go eat at a place where I can also sit down".
Heh, now I want that message flashing a lot again so I can test that. This whole needing so many stars thing is messing with me, I haven't used food courts in ages, not since they released that Prairie dog restraunt that you could get at the beggining of a zoo. Did a similar message occur with food courts and no restraunts in ZT1?

Edit to add a pic of the picnic area I was having problems with. Forgot to do that in the opening post.  

Posted by: flamethrower Dec. 4 2004, 03:51 PM
Not sure but you could be right - restaurants.

Unfortunately, I have yet to play a single zoo long enough to even unlock yet  so I can't test.  

Posted by: TerrierMom Dec. 5 2004, 07:23 AM
They DO want restaurants. The message does mean the want a place where they can go sit down and eat. This message tends to appear just after restaurants start becoming available to research. I figured it out same as you guys, I'd build stalls and tables, same message. So I tried a restaurant. Worked like a charm. Now, every time I get that message, I research (if I have to) a restaurant and build it. Guests love my zoos, I get the Guests Love Your Zoo! message all the time. I've got zoos going into their 5,6,7th years, everything unlocked that can be without playing all of the challenge and campaign secnarios, with Guest Happiness at 100% and Zoo Fame 4.5-5 stars so I'm sure it's accurate about them wanting restaurants  

Posted by: sara_dippity Dec. 5 2004, 11:02 AM
Ahh, ok!  now next time I won't be so thick about it, thanks.  

Posted by: flamethrower Dec. 5 2004, 11:05 AM
Wow thanks for confirming. I'll change the title for those who don't know.  

Posted by: Tasmanian_tiger Dec. 5 2004, 11:45 AM
 Indeed, interesting and very helpfull.  

Posted by: THAT_PARBHU_GUY Dec. 5 2004, 11:48 AM
i saw one guest who wanted to sit and eat after comming out of a restaurant  

Posted by: AdamfromCanada Dec. 5 2004, 11:57 AM
I've found that if there are a couple benches at each exhibit, then I never get this message. I usually put a couple down at each viewing area. Also, it surprised me to realise that guests don't use the restaurant to remove the need for a washroom.  

Posted by: Jawz Dec. 5 2004, 12:30 PM
Same problem happened to me  

Posted by: toxckrayon Dec. 6 2004, 11:23 AM
this is just my take on it, so don't quote me on it.

this message means that they have food in their hands and want to sit down and eat it. as far as i know, this is only the picnic bench type of bench, not a normal bench. and yes, if enough guests have food in their hands and are halfway across the zoo from the food stands, they will complain. sometimes it's okay to ignore.

the reason why a restaurant will usually solve this is because people eat their food IN the restaurant. this also means they don't generate trash outside the restaurant, like in ZT1.

i suppose it's possible for people to leave a restaurant with food, which will bring us back to the picnic table requirement. in other words, it's sort of like a real zoo.  

Posted by: many moles Dec. 14 2004, 03:36 AM
After looking at the code I've recognized that guest have an "insight identifier" for those picknick tables, umbrella tables and benches, too. Yes, guest are supposed to from benches  The value for this "insight indetifier" is 40 and I have no clue how it is messured ingame (maybe triangles).
One thing I've recognized too: Somebody seen guest sit at theme umbrellatables? It makes me wonder, if they could so. The theme umbrellatables are not refered within the guest AI.. Maybe these theme packs were added last and so the code is broken...

[edit]Guest wiil not fill their bathroom need in restaurants. In fact their bathroom needs are going up, after using a restaurant (+20). The hunger, thirst and dessert needs will go down. How much is unaffected by the type of restaurant you built (fancy, regular, family). It will always restore hunger: -100, thirst: -50 and dessert: -50.  

Posted by: flamethrower Dec. 14 2004, 06:45 PM
Yes I've used the umbrella tables - they do use them.

Offline casey

• Administrator
  • Marine Biologist
Guests want a place to sit and eat
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 08:02:33 PM »
Posted by: sara_dippity Dec. 3 2004, 01:11 AM
it's unbeleivable. Specifically, ZT1 before the patch. You remember, cries of anguish from hungry guests even though the place was full of restraunts and food courts? Anyone else remember? Well, how many picnic tables do I have to put down before I silence the guest's requests for a place to sit and eat? I mean, I got like eight empty tables right next to the food stands!!! There are picnic tables just a breath away, and guests can definately sit in them to eat, I've made sure to look in case I got the positioning of the table next to the path wrong! Urgh, just sit down and eat you freaks!!!  

Posted by: Tasmanian_tiger Dec. 3 2004, 03:02 AM
I must say, I don't have this problem. Once, however, they couldn't reach the food carts, this was because I placed tables in front of them. Though, there seemily was enough distance, the guests couldn't pass..  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Dec. 3 2004, 03:32 AM
They do tend to do that though- I think you need to put lots of seats all around the zoo, not just in the food court. Seem to need plenty of space between the tables too as i have had maintenance men that cannot pick up the rubbish though I thought there plenty of room. I know this happens in the tutorials/campaign and is annoying.
I guess we either all get more experienced and learn to deal with the problems- or maybe it is just crazy and a bug in the game  

Posted by: Tasmanian_tiger Dec. 3 2004, 04:46 AM
Hmm, well looking at ZT1, bugs will probably get fixed. Ah, I still remember the frustration with ZT1, though.  

Posted by: puff_cake Dec. 3 2004, 05:22 AM
I remember the guests used to fall out of the boats and drown.  

Posted by: flamethrower Dec. 3 2004, 08:00 AM
ZT2 tends to make you build everything spaciously. Don't build crowded areas.

Posted by: sara_dippity Dec. 4 2004, 03:49 PM
(flamethrower @ Dec. 3 2004, 11:00 AM)
ZT2 tends to make you build everything spaciously.  Don't build crowded areas.

It has space. Plenty. They can definately get in and out of the tables with no problems. Also many benches availible, and lots of open seating, nothing too crowded. It was a scenario that I won, so I can't test my new theroy, but it suddenly occured to me that maybe they wanted restraunts. Like not, "Hey, I need a place to sit so I can eat this burger" but "Hey, I want to go eat at a place where I can also sit down".
Heh, now I want that message flashing a lot again so I can test that. This whole needing so many stars thing is messing with me, I haven't used food courts in ages, not since they released that Prairie dog restraunt that you could get at the beggining of a zoo. Did a similar message occur with food courts and no restraunts in ZT1?

Edit to add a pic of the picnic area I was having problems with. Forgot to do that in the opening post.  

Posted by: flamethrower Dec. 4 2004, 03:51 PM
Not sure but you could be right - restaurants.

Unfortunately, I have yet to play a single zoo long enough to even unlock yet  so I can't test.  

Posted by: TerrierMom Dec. 5 2004, 07:23 AM
They DO want restaurants. The message does mean the want a place where they can go sit down and eat. This message tends to appear just after restaurants start becoming available to research. I figured it out same as you guys, I'd build stalls and tables, same message. So I tried a restaurant. Worked like a charm. Now, every time I get that message, I research (if I have to) a restaurant and build it. Guests love my zoos, I get the Guests Love Your Zoo! message all the time. I've got zoos going into their 5,6,7th years, everything unlocked that can be without playing all of the challenge and campaign secnarios, with Guest Happiness at 100% and Zoo Fame 4.5-5 stars so I'm sure it's accurate about them wanting restaurants  

Posted by: sara_dippity Dec. 5 2004, 11:02 AM
Ahh, ok!  now next time I won't be so thick about it, thanks.  

Posted by: flamethrower Dec. 5 2004, 11:05 AM
Wow thanks for confirming. I'll change the title for those who don't know.  

Posted by: Tasmanian_tiger Dec. 5 2004, 11:45 AM
 Indeed, interesting and very helpfull.  

Posted by: THAT_PARBHU_GUY Dec. 5 2004, 11:48 AM
i saw one guest who wanted to sit and eat after comming out of a restaurant  

Posted by: AdamfromCanada Dec. 5 2004, 11:57 AM
I've found that if there are a couple benches at each exhibit, then I never get this message. I usually put a couple down at each viewing area. Also, it surprised me to realise that guests don't use the restaurant to remove the need for a washroom.  

Posted by: Jawz Dec. 5 2004, 12:30 PM
Same problem happened to me  

Posted by: toxckrayon Dec. 6 2004, 11:23 AM
this is just my take on it, so don't quote me on it.

this message means that they have food in their hands and want to sit down and eat it. as far as i know, this is only the picnic bench type of bench, not a normal bench. and yes, if enough guests have food in their hands and are halfway across the zoo from the food stands, they will complain. sometimes it's okay to ignore.

the reason why a restaurant will usually solve this is because people eat their food IN the restaurant. this also means they don't generate trash outside the restaurant, like in ZT1.

i suppose it's possible for people to leave a restaurant with food, which will bring us back to the picnic table requirement. in other words, it's sort of like a real zoo.  

Posted by: many moles Dec. 14 2004, 03:36 AM
After looking at the code I've recognized that guest have an "insight identifier" for those picknick tables, umbrella tables and benches, too. Yes, guest are supposed to from benches  The value for this "insight indetifier" is 40 and I have no clue how it is messured ingame (maybe triangles).
One thing I've recognized too: Somebody seen guest sit at theme umbrellatables? It makes me wonder, if they could so. The theme umbrellatables are not refered within the guest AI.. Maybe these theme packs were added last and so the code is broken...

[edit]Guest wiil not fill their bathroom need in restaurants. In fact their bathroom needs are going up, after using a restaurant (+20). The hunger, thirst and dessert needs will go down. How much is unaffected by the type of restaurant you built (fancy, regular, family). It will always restore hunger: -100, thirst: -50 and dessert: -50.  

Posted by: flamethrower Dec. 14 2004, 06:45 PM
Yes I've used the umbrella tables - they do use them.