Author Topic: Educators stick to a few podiums  (Read 1051 times)

Offline casey

• Administrator
  • Marine Biologist
Educators stick to a few podiums
« on: January 19, 2005, 08:55:29 PM »
Posted by: Zaxon Dec. 6 2004, 05:54 AM
Hire a zoo keeper, and they'll wander to any and every animal enclosure you have (unless you specifically assign them). Maintenance people will cover your entire park.

However, educators bounce back between only two podiums. If I build a third, a fourth podium, my educator will completely ignore them and only use the first two podiums. I find this annoying, and it essentially means you'll need many more educators just to have your podiums visited. I'd like it if the need to hire more educators was based on a genuine need, as opposed to just covering podiums.

You can reassign educators to new podiums by dropping them there, but they seem to have the inability to just visit all the podiums on their own.

Any work arounds for this?  

Posted by: Tasmanian_tiger Dec. 6 2004, 05:59 AM
Oh, I hadn't noticed that. I usually dump my educators and don't watch at them again. Hmm.. it would be nice if you could assign them to podiums.  

Posted by: Zaxon Dec. 6 2004, 06:59 AM
(Tasmanian_tiger @ Dec. 6 2004, 08:59 AM)
Oh, I hadn't noticed that.  I usually dump my educators and don't watch at them again.  Hmm.. it would be nice if you could assign them to podiums.

You sort of can by picking them up and placing them near a podium you want them to work at, but you can't do multiple assigns like you can with keepers.  

Posted by: toxckrayon Dec. 6 2004, 10:38 AM
I never even tried that. I've always had a 1:1 relationship between educators and podiums. It does make little sense to me that an educator without a podium to work will simply sit on a bench instead of walk the zoo and educate people wherever as in ZT1.

I'm still not 100% on what benefit they offer. They don't seem to affect the education level, evidently only the accuracy of the habitats does that. I had an initial feeling that they help increase donations, particularly education ones, but I'm not sure

Posted by: Ramin_Raptor Dec. 8 2004, 05:52 PM
(toxckrayon @ Dec. 6 2004, 01:38 PM)

I'm still not 100% on what benefit they offer. They don't seem to affect the education level, evidently only the accuracy of the habitats does that. I had an initial feeling that they help increase donations, particularly education ones, but I'm not sure  

Yes your are sopposed to place them near donation boxes and they increas the donations.  

Posted by: Nepenthe Dec. 11 2004, 10:13 AM
(toxckrayon @ Dec. 6 2004, 02:38 PM)
I'm still not 100% on what benefit [educators] offer. They don't seem to affect the education level, evidently only the accuracy of the habitats does that. I had an initial feeling that they help increase donations, particularly education ones, but I'm not sure  

It looks to me like the educators do improve "education" level (for zoo fame). So do observation shelters and binocular stands.  

Posted by: toxckrayon Dec. 11 2004, 07:40 PM
that's interesting. i will also confirm something else i've read on another forum, which suggests if you don't share fences between exhibits, the education level goes up as well.  

Posted by: many moles Dec. 14 2004, 03:48 AM
(Zaxon @ Dec. 6 2004, 08:54 AM)
Hire a zoo keeper, and they'll wander to any and every animal enclosure you have (unless you specifically assign them).  Maintenance people will cover your entire park.

However, educators bounce back between only two podiums.  If I build a third, a fourth podium, my educator will completely ignore them and only use the first two podiums.  

You are a lucky guy  My educators will only work at one podium at a given time. If I built a secind one, the educator completly ignores this one.
In my opinion the educators should walk through the entire zoo and stop at a podium. After a while he/she should walk on to get to the next podium. Hopefully this will be fixed.
For every exhibit one educator and one keeper is $700 a month and some animals need more than one keeper.

many moles  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Dec. 14 2004, 06:32 AM
I have found multiple educators do work- they will work from their podium covering an area of the zoo- OR maybe its to do with guest numbers - I am not sure- but I do not expect them to roam the zoo to find podiums but to stay assigned to the one they are dropped near if conditions are right. I usually tell by guest messages when you need another podium and educator.

Posted by: many moles Dec. 14 2004, 07:04 AM
But whats the deal with purchasing educator and podium seperated from each other? Educator without a podium is simply stupid and a podium without an educator too.
And why must I pay upkeep for a podium? They had only to rise the loan of the educator and make podiums without upkeep. Its fairly the same if I always need one podium for one educator.
Otherwise they could have create an podium with educator and no extra staff memer. All it do in my games is to sit on benches/staffcenter or stand at the podium, if one is there, all the time. There is no need for an staff member with no function itself. And this educator is quite useless without a podium and vice versa...
I'm going in circles

That's why I'm expect them to "roam" through the zoo. But hey always standing and educate my people even if there are no people nearby. This looks fairly unrealistic.

many moles  

Posted by: Zaxon Dec. 14 2004, 07:09 AM
(Aussie Koala @ Dec. 14 2004, 09:32 AM)
I usually tell by guest messages when you need another podium and educator.

I'm not sure what messages you're looking at, since there isn't a "Moose 1 needs more educational donations" message.

From what I've observed, I think the educator do have a bug in their AI logic. I've had some zoos where an educator is happy to roam to any and every podium - no questions asked. This shows that this is how ZT2 is coded. However, with other zoos, educators will oscillate between only two podiums, even though every other podium is free.

If you go to the extreme and have one educator per podium per enclose, has anyone thoroughly tested whether the educators do pay for themselves?  

Posted by: many moles Dec. 14 2004, 10:13 AM
My Educators stick defintly in front of one podium. He never leave it.. He must be a robot that never sleeps :D

This code is truely as pig pile of poo, probably.. I must commit that it looks like the programmer doesn't understand their own Equipment. Looks like M$ would get ZT2 finished before christmas (Won't be the first publisher doing such f**king things). It looks like that the main code isn't tweaked in any kind. This slowing down issue is the result of bad coding. It seems that script routines don't dealloc from memory..

Please Bluefang stick all your animals in a crate and make a patch for this game. Yesterday will be a good release day...

Offline casey

• Administrator
  • Marine Biologist
Educators stick to a few podiums
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 08:55:29 PM »
Posted by: Zaxon Dec. 6 2004, 05:54 AM
Hire a zoo keeper, and they'll wander to any and every animal enclosure you have (unless you specifically assign them). Maintenance people will cover your entire park.

However, educators bounce back between only two podiums. If I build a third, a fourth podium, my educator will completely ignore them and only use the first two podiums. I find this annoying, and it essentially means you'll need many more educators just to have your podiums visited. I'd like it if the need to hire more educators was based on a genuine need, as opposed to just covering podiums.

You can reassign educators to new podiums by dropping them there, but they seem to have the inability to just visit all the podiums on their own.

Any work arounds for this?  

Posted by: Tasmanian_tiger Dec. 6 2004, 05:59 AM
Oh, I hadn't noticed that. I usually dump my educators and don't watch at them again. Hmm.. it would be nice if you could assign them to podiums.  

Posted by: Zaxon Dec. 6 2004, 06:59 AM
(Tasmanian_tiger @ Dec. 6 2004, 08:59 AM)
Oh, I hadn't noticed that.  I usually dump my educators and don't watch at them again.  Hmm.. it would be nice if you could assign them to podiums.

You sort of can by picking them up and placing them near a podium you want them to work at, but you can't do multiple assigns like you can with keepers.  

Posted by: toxckrayon Dec. 6 2004, 10:38 AM
I never even tried that. I've always had a 1:1 relationship between educators and podiums. It does make little sense to me that an educator without a podium to work will simply sit on a bench instead of walk the zoo and educate people wherever as in ZT1.

Posted by: Ramin_Raptor Dec. 8 2004, 05:52 PM
(toxckrayon @ Dec. 6 2004, 01:38 PM)

Yes your are sopposed to place them near donation boxes and they increas the donations.  

Posted by: Nepenthe Dec. 11 2004, 10:13 AM
(toxckrayon @ Dec. 6 2004, 02:38 PM)
I'm still not 100% on what benefit [educators] offer. They don't seem to affect the education level, evidently only the accuracy of the habitats does that. I had an initial feeling that they help increase donations, particularly education ones, but I'm not sure  

It looks to me like the educators do improve "education" level (for zoo fame). So do observation shelters and binocular stands.  

Posted by: toxckrayon Dec. 11 2004, 07:40 PM
that's interesting. i will also confirm something else i've read on another forum, which suggests if you don't share fences between exhibits, the education level goes up as well.  

Posted by: many moles Dec. 14 2004, 03:48 AM
(Zaxon @ Dec. 6 2004, 08:54 AM)
Hire a zoo keeper, and they'll wander to any and every animal enclosure you have (unless you specifically assign them).  Maintenance people will cover your entire park.

However, educators bounce back between only two podiums.  If I build a third, a fourth podium, my educator will completely ignore them and only use the first two podiums.  

You are a lucky guy  My educators will only work at one podium at a given time. If I built a secind one, the educator completly ignores this one.
In my opinion the educators should walk through the entire zoo and stop at a podium. After a while he/she should walk on to get to the next podium. Hopefully this will be fixed.
For every exhibit one educator and one keeper is $700 a month and some animals need more than one keeper.

many moles  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Dec. 14 2004, 06:32 AM
I have found multiple educators do work- they will work from their podium covering an area of the zoo- OR maybe its to do with guest numbers - I am not sure- but I do not expect them to roam the zoo to find podiums but to stay assigned to the one they are dropped near if conditions are right. I usually tell by guest messages when you need another podium and educator.

Posted by: many moles Dec. 14 2004, 07:04 AM
But whats the deal with purchasing educator and podium seperated from each other? Educator without a podium is simply stupid and a podium without an educator too.
And why must I pay upkeep for a podium? They had only to rise the loan of the educator and make podiums without upkeep. Its fairly the same if I always need one podium for one educator.
Otherwise they could have create an podium with educator and no extra staff memer. All it do in my games is to sit on benches/staffcenter or stand at the podium, if one is there, all the time. There is no need for an staff member with no function itself. And this educator is quite useless without a podium and vice versa...
I'm going in circles

That's why I'm expect them to "roam" through the zoo. But hey always standing and educate my people even if there are no people nearby. This looks fairly unrealistic.

many moles  

Posted by: Zaxon Dec. 14 2004, 07:09 AM
(Aussie Koala @ Dec. 14 2004, 09:32 AM)
I usually tell by guest messages when you need another podium and educator.

I'm not sure what messages you're looking at, since there isn't a "Moose 1 needs more educational donations" message.

From what I've observed, I think the educator do have a bug in their AI logic. I've had some zoos where an educator is happy to roam to any and every podium - no questions asked. This shows that this is how ZT2 is coded. However, with other zoos, educators will oscillate between only two podiums, even though every other podium is free.

If you go to the extreme and have one educator per podium per enclose, has anyone thoroughly tested whether the educators do pay for themselves?  

Posted by: many moles Dec. 14 2004, 10:13 AM
My Educators stick defintly in front of one podium. He never leave it.. He must be a robot that never sleeps :D

This code is truely as pig pile of poo, probably.. I must commit that it looks like the programmer doesn't understand their own Equipment. Looks like M$ would get ZT2 finished before christmas (Won't be the first publisher doing such f**king things). It looks like that the main code isn't tweaked in any kind. This slowing down issue is the result of bad coding. It seems that script routines don't dealloc from memory..

Please Bluefang stick all your animals in a crate and make a patch for this game. Yesterday will be a good release day...