Author Topic: How do I transfer my files to a new computer?  (Read 2280 times)

Offline mo_uk

• Pooper Scooper
How do I transfer my files to a new computer?
« on: February 13, 2007, 03:27:18 PM »
In simple terms please.  I do not want to restart the scenario's etc.  I have Zoo tycoon 2, all upgrades except the dino one.

Thanks

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Re: How do I transfer my files to a new computer?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 03:36:04 PM »
Copy the folder located at C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Application Data\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon 2\ (it will be default profile if you didn't make a profile name)

Copy this folder, put it on a CD, an external harddrive, a USB drive, or other storage device, and then on the new computer put the file back in this exact location.

Tada!

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 03:46:55 PM »
Very simple. First, take all your Saved Games AND your Saved Profile from C:\Documents and Settings\NAMEGOESHERE\Application Data\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon 2\Default Profile. Also if anyone else saves to your computer, save all those, too.

Then, make sure you COPY and PASTE all your downloaded items. Burn those items onto seperate CDs.

Go to your new computer and install the games as if new, starting with ZT2, then ES, then AA, then MM (in that order). Then replace the saved Profile with the one you saved to the CD. Then put your saved downloads directly into C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon 2.

Make sure you use MM to 'start' your game.

Offline mo_uk

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 03:17:27 AM »
Thank you.  I have tried those suggestions and it just doesnt work.  I have Windows xp media centre, I wonder if that makes a difference.  I have looked on new computer for
"C:\Documents and Settings\NAMEGOESHERE\Application Data"  and it doesn't exist.  

I have put copied files x 2 into
 "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon 2."

One copied file is called default and the other my user name.

I have restarted the computer, made sure I have the same user name and still no joy.

:crying:

Offline Penguino

• Game Warden
  • E Spheniscidae, Spheniscidae
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 03:26:38 AM »
Hmm... XP Media Center is known to have problems with compatibility.

Offline mo_uk

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 04:20:42 AM »
Oh No, I do hope not, I will be upgrading to Vista when the upgrade arrives.  I will try playing the game and see how I get on.

Offline mo_uk

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 08:06:41 AM »
Well I have just completed one scenario, so thats only ................. to go!  

The game played really well, graphics were amazing.  Its the scenario with the Tapirs (?sp) in the conservation area.  I had this raised up as I had flattened the ground round it and had a raised viewing platform with fence.

Trouble is I kept finding guests in that area with them, even the zoo keeper couldn't get in, is this a bug?

Really pleased it works, now if only I could move the saved files so they worked!

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
  • made in a factory and from a special kind of metal
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 08:33:53 AM »
When looking for C:\Documents and Settings\NAMEGOESHERE\Application Data - did you make sure hidden files and folders were turned on so you can see them? :)  I'm not sure about media centre, but for XP the setting is found in Control Panel, Folder Options (or Appearence and Themes THEN Folder Options), click on the  View Tab, then make sure Show Hidden Files and Folders is selected. :)

Offline mo_uk

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 09:22:44 AM »
Fantastic, thank you, yes the files were hidden, so have now transferred data and all is well.

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
  • made in a factory and from a special kind of metal
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 09:25:07 AM »
Hooray! :)

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 04:43:19 PM »
I am very glad this has helped you. I will lock this topic now so thers can also make use of the valuable information you have recieved so they to can  move things to another computer.