Author Topic: Dora's Award Winning Zoo/Longleat Safari Park  (Read 34705 times)

Offline Dora the Explorer

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://
Dora's Award Winning Zoo/Longleat Safari Park
« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2006, 09:54:52 AM »
yes we did after 30 minutes (funny enough if you followed the signs to the exit then they actually led you to a shortcut to the centre as well) but i had a good view anyway cos i was sitting on dads shoulders and was guiding us

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2006, 11:24:10 AM »
next visit was too pets corner

Asian short-clawed otter
Otters are capble of seeing equally well both above and below water.  Due to loss of habitat and pollution most species of otter are now endangered

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #152 on: November 05, 2006, 11:25:28 AM »
#

Wallabies are mainly nocturnal, coming out to graze in the late afternoon until early the next morning. During the day they rest in clumps of trees or bushes.
#

The wallaby's large, powerful tail is used for balance when hopping or grazing. A tail-less wallaby would probably topple over onto its nose!
#

Large ears that can be swivelled round sideways give the wallaby an excellent sense of hearing. Its sense of smell is good, too, but its eyesight is thought to be quite poor.
#

Red-necked wallabies are considered to be pests by farmers because of the damage they do to crops. They are now protected by law but can still be hunted by people with a special licence.

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2006, 11:27:27 AM »
The Galapagos tortoise comes in three versions, which are distinguished by the shape of their shells, sizes, colors and behavior:
1. Saddle-Backed: Mostly found on the lower drier islands. They have raised shells, long necks and limbs.
2. Dome-Shaped: Found on the upper parts of the islands, where plant growth is dense and thick. They have round shaped shells, very short necks and limbs.
3. Intermediate: This third race is a mix between the two described above.
Throughout the 19th century, giant tortoises were valued by sailors as food supply. They discovered that these docile animals could live for months without food or water, flipped on their backs, and stacked in the cargo hold of a ship. This gave the sailors a ready source of fresh meat when there was no land in sight. Historical records show that tens of thousands of tortoises were collected from the Galapagos, Seychelles, Mascarenes, and other islands.

Only one male, Lonesome George, of the four extinct races exists. Previously he lived on Pinta Island, but is presently kept at the Charles Darwin Research Station.

The Galapagos Islands are named for the 250,000 giant tortoises that lived on the islands - "galapago" in Spanish means saddle and refers to the tortoise shell. Today, only 15,000 of these giants are left.

There were 15 subspecies, although only 11 still exist today. They have become extinct because of overhunting, and the introduction of goats, pigs, dogs and other animals which trample or eat the tortoise eggs and compete for food. Most like the upland areas of the large islands because of the humidity, grassy fields and ponds. The largest populations are in Alcedo, Isabela and Santa Cruz.

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #154 on: November 05, 2006, 12:32:48 PM »
Wow, Dora, you sure learned a lot at the Longleaf Sanctuary! What was your favorite part?

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #155 on: November 06, 2006, 05:56:39 AM »
i loved the Meerkats thats why mum and dad had to buy me one - i still take it everywhere with me

first up on the safari tour is Flamingo Valley
Chilean Flamingos natural range is the southern half of south america (at longleat there are also sacred ibis and whisteling ducks in the same exhibit)
Many flamingos live in saltwater lakes where other species cannot survive

they can be found in flocks of thousands, flocks of millions have been seen and different species of flamingos can feed side by side without competing for food as each species has a slightly different beak which allows them to filter different sizes of food particles, but they can only eat with their heads upside down

also next to the flamingos are the Venue of Vultures

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #156 on: November 06, 2006, 06:07:14 AM »
Next up is Wallaby Walk where you can walk amoungst the wallaby group

and stop off for something to eat and visit the East Africa Trading post before getting back in your vehicle to head for the East African Reserve.
First off we see the Rothschild Girraffe

Giraffe have the same number of vertebrae in their necks as us - 7 -
The pattern on their coat is as distinctive as our fingerprints.
Next on the tour was Grants Zebra

The striped coat of a zebra acts as camoflage by breaking up the outline of the body and it is also said to deter flies
Do Zebras have black stripes on white or white stripes on black?
A Zebra can rotateits ears to detect sounds without moving its body.

the hight and eysight of the giraffe and the keen hearing of the zebra offer mutual protection against preditors.

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #157 on: November 06, 2006, 06:14:23 AM »
Next up Monkey Jungle.  Dad was quite worried about this as he watched the car in front which was the same model as ours being taken apart by the monkeys

Monkeys are insatiably curious by nature, taking a great interest in the cars passing through their reserve.  Remember to keep your windows closed as these playful creatures can bite.
Our monkeys are more at home in the holes of the 300 year old oak tress in this section than their purposebuilt houses.

Rhesus Monkeys
the rhesus blood group was named after this monkey in which it was first identified
Rudyard Kipling has written about them 'as always fighting, stealing and teasing each other'

also in this exhibit are Indian Water buffalo

They can produced 3000 litres of milk a year which is used to make mozzarella cheese. They also have the longest horns grown by any animal the record measures 4.24meteres tip to tip along the outside curve of the forehed.

black bucks can also be seen in the exhibit

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #158 on: November 06, 2006, 06:27:14 AM »
Next up was Big Game Park
First was the Southern White Rhino

Our successful breeding programme has resulted in 10 rhino calves being born here since 1970
'Ronnie' born in 1990 hdto be hand-reared due to an accident at birth.After a year thriving at Longleat he was sent to a game reserve in South Africa as a contribution towards the conservatin of this highly-endangered species in its natural habitat.  Also in this reserve are Ankole Cattle.

rhinno horns are made from the same stuff as fingernails.
The mother of a white rhino follows her calf, while the black rhino the calf follows the mother.
white does not mean their colour.  It means wide in Afrikans and means their mouth is wide.
Also here can be seen Camels (both dromedary and bactrian), Elands, Pere Davids Deer, Scimiter horned oryx, Llama, Ostriches, and Pink backed Pelicans

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #159 on: November 06, 2006, 06:33:03 AM »
Finally the last stop for now where you can wind down your windows and feed the Deer in the deer park

There are both Red Deer

and fallow dear here

Fallow deer have been on the longleat estate since the 16th century. During the hurricane that swept britian 1987 the longleat estate lost over2 0,000 trees and much of the deer fencing was destroyed allowing deer to disperse into neighbouring estates and woodland.

Deer are the only animals in the world to possess antlets, other animals have horns.
There are 4 colour types of fallow deer - common, black, white and menil. - Menil retain the 'bambi' spots all year round.
There is a very rare long haired variety of fallow deer found wild in Mortimerforest in shropshire.

Offline Hughesy

• Senior Zookeeper
  • Pretty kitty
« Reply #160 on: November 06, 2006, 06:48:37 AM »
Beatuiful dora i have seen the tv programs about this and you do it justice well done:original:

Offline Crookshankz227

• Game Warden
« Reply #161 on: November 06, 2006, 08:04:06 AM »
Wow, you know loads about Longleat - I went a couple of years ago but can't remember anything about it... :P Those are really nice pictures!! :specool:

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
« Reply #162 on: November 06, 2006, 08:52:18 AM »
Great job and nice pics:thumbsup:

Offline Panda King

• Marine Biologist
  • One flaming hot panda!
    • Panda-monium!
« Reply #163 on: November 06, 2006, 10:30:02 PM »
Uh-oh! She has MM now! Look out, S&T! Here comes Dora!

Very nice, even more so for someone so young.

Offline Bielski

• The Guardian
  • Game Warden
  • Ooooooh Noooooo!!!!!
« Reply #164 on: November 07, 2006, 12:02:47 AM »
:surprise: Wooooooooooh, You did good there Dora, :clapping:

Offline Hyena Girl

• Zookeeper
  • If anyone dares badmouth hyenas....
    • Cottomn's Petz Plaza (I am known as cottonbunny)
« Reply #165 on: November 11, 2006, 12:11:13 AM »
Well done Dora. I'm nearly thirteen and yet you can build a better zoo than I can!
Your Longleat is very similar to the real thing. I've actually been there about a year ago. I don't know if I've said it before, but well done!

Offline MidnightCat

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2006, 10:57:34 AM »
oh wow Dora! :surprise: as many people have said (and I'll be redundant here), you build better than, me and I'm 13! you're also lucky to have a mum who plays Zoo Tycoon with you, mine doesn't know anything about it.

Offline kiwibuddy

• Marine Biologist
  • Takahe
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2006, 01:05:10 PM »
Very nice pictures Dora! I especially like the deer park! :thumbsup:

Offline kingkong10

• Zookeeper
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2006, 04:11:37 PM »
I love the longleat park pics you have taken. I cannot wait for more!:surprise:

Offline IcelandV4R

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #169 on: November 22, 2006, 07:11:53 PM »
:bounce: I Love The Deer Pictures, I Hope To See More of this great thread!

Offline Seadragon

• Zookeeper
  • Hunting for dogs...
« Reply #170 on: November 26, 2006, 10:39:32 AM »
Im almost 17! Yet you have better zoos than me!!
You're so lucky to have a mom that'll play with you!
my mom just wants to watch the soap opera on TV...:disgust:

erebus121

« Reply #171 on: January 01, 2007, 04:32:27 AM »
same here brother from another mother(who likes soap opras)

Offline anmalkoko1

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #172 on: January 02, 2007, 10:08:29 AM »
Dora i love your zoos :wub::wub:

Offline hupdo1593

• Senior Zookeeper
  • Palawan peacock pheasant
« Reply #173 on: January 02, 2007, 05:05:55 PM »
hey dora, i really like your zoos! but i have one question: i saw on the Longleat website a picture of some sea lions on a hippo. do they really have sea lions and hippos in the same exhibit?

Offline african_elephant_2006

• Zookeeper
  • Remember the elephants. Forget ivory!
« Reply #174 on: January 02, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
Really? I never knew that!
By the way, good job, Dora!