Author Topic: messed-up Unzip  (Read 3982 times)

Offline germanwolf

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
  • Captian Jack is back
messed-up Unzip
« on: September 20, 2006, 12:50:48 PM »
I need some help with downloading. BUT, let me say, this not asking how to download. I already know that. My problem is... well, let's start from the begginig.

I wanted to start making vareints for ZT2 animals, so I downloaded all the necesities, except for winzip/winrar. I wanted to download that, but for some reason my dad won't let me. He made me download some wierd program called CAMunzip. And, well, camunzip didn't help, so I took it off and now I probobly won't be able to make varients.:crying:  Well, then I decided to download the caracal varients( black, white, tabby ), and I did what I usually did. Clicked "download here", but when the window popped up that asked if I want to open or save this file (  I always open  ) there was no "open" option. I tried different downloads, it was not just that one. It seems that camunzip took over the extracting program that I used before, to open the downloads and extract, and when I took off camunzip, for some reason that went away too. I know that camunzip replaced it, because I tried downloading while I had camunzip on, and this camunzip extracting thing opped up but I couldn't figure out how to use it. And now, after I have taken camunzip off, I can't open the folder anymore to unzip it, soI can download. I alreafy talked to penguinman about this, but he doesn't know. Please, someone, help, I want to continue downloading!! Especially now that October is coming up! :crying:

Offline RedNotDead

• Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin
  • Affiliates
  • Game Warden
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 12:56:37 PM »
if you have windows Xp then to use their in-house zip files

Open My Computer, and then locate the compressed folder.
Do one of the following:
To extract a single file or folder, double-click the compressed folder to open it. Then, drag the file or folder from the compressed folder to a new location.
To extract all files or folders, right-click the compressed folder, and then click Extract All. In the Compressed (zipped) Folders Extraction Wizard, specify where you want to store the extracted files.

You also need to right click open with and then choose the zip option

Offline germanwolf

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
  • Captian Jack is back
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 12:59:46 PM »
Ok, I saved it, and when I clicked on "extract all' ,and the windows extracion wizard came up like usual, I clicked the extract button, but it said, "no files to extract". ????
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 01:09:25 PM by germanwolf »

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 01:54:06 PM »
If you don't have eithe WinZip OR WinRAR, how are you going to zip them back up into 1) a z2f file and 2) include that in a WinZip file?

Offline Nique

• Just Nique... nothin' fancy
  • Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 02:57:32 PM »
Quote from: csleesburg
If you don't have eithe WinZip OR WinRAR, how are you going to zip them back up into 1) a z2f file and 2) include that in a WinZip file?

If I understood correctly, they aren't wanting to make varients anymore- just download other files...so winzip/winrar specifically wouldn't be needed. Right?

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 03:03:45 PM »
germanwolf said she wanted to start making some variants. That's why she needs one or the other....?:blink:

Offline germanwolf

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
  • Captian Jack is back
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 05:38:07 PM »
No. I still want to make varients, but I need winzip or winrar, but for some reason my dad won't let me download winzip or winrar. So I downloaded this other free program that my dad told me to. He said it would do the same as winzip/winrar, but obviously it doesn't. When I tried to open a file, it wouldn't work. So I took CAMunzip off, and my hopes of ever making varients/animals is gone, because I need winzip or winrar. And to cheer myself up, I decided to download the cool caracal vareints. That's when I noticed that I couldn't open the file anymore to extract it. And I just tried to download again, and for some reason, I can now open the file with no problem like before.:blink: I guess the problem just fixed itself....... but does anybody know if it is possible to make stuff without having winzip/winrar? Because I really, really, wanted to make stuff had lots of things planned. :crying:

Offline Peacenote

• Peaceful Music Soothes the Savage Soul
  • Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 05:50:20 PM »
Well, I'm not sure if it specifically matters to varients, but everything I've ever made (paths, fences, other objects) I've done without winzip or winrar.  To zip things up, I just select them, and right click, and choose the option Send to, and from the drop-down menu I pick "Compressed (zipped) Folder".  Of course this only works for Windows XP.  As far as I know nobody's had any trouble using my creations.  :wink:

Offline germanwolf

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
  • Captian Jack is back
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 05:52:18 PM »
soooo, if I were to make vareints, I don't need anything like winzip to open the files? Wait, if I send it, will it no longer be in the game anymore then? Like I am going to try and open the x100_000 file, because in there are the differerant animals that I can work with. So if I send this folder, it will be gone from there? Or can you send it back? Sorry, I am new to this.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 05:55:26 PM by germanwolf »

Offline Peacenote

• Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 05:54:44 PM »
I think you can use Window's built-in extractor to unzip them like you would anything else.  You just need to rename .z2f to .zip first.  Again, that's just what worked for me.

Offline germanwolf

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
  • Captian Jack is back
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 05:56:11 PM »
what about the sending? Look back, you might not have seen this question as I started to edit this.

Offline Peacenote

• Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 07:10:10 PM »
Um.. If I'm understanding your question correctly, to open the x100_000 file, you would use the extraction method described by RedNotDead earlier in this topic.  Then to zip up your creations back into .zip files (to be renamed into .z2f files) you can do what I described.

The sending is just the term Windows uses...it just compresses the files you've selected and makes them a .zip file.  The original files remain untouched.

What I actually did, because I had enough hard drive space, was copy x100_000 to a safe place (so I wasn't actually messing with game files) and then renamed it to a zip.  And then extracted as normal.  :happy:  You need to extract the files OUT of the file to edit, and then zip back up so people can use them.  I've always been able to do both just using Windows.

I hope that answers your question and makes sense...:huh: If not let me know!

Offline germanwolf

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
  • Captian Jack is back
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 07:29:42 PM »
alright, I think I will do what you did, and copy the files to a safe place. Where did you put your files so they would be "safe"?

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 11:00:02 PM »
I have just a folder on my desktop saying 'ZT2 Animal Files' and extracted a copy of x100_000.z2f there. You could also do My Documents, etc. It's really more of a personal preference/

Offline Peacenote

• Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 06:22:18 AM »
Yep.  By safe I just meant having a copy so you're not messing around with the original.  I put mine in a folder in My Documents, but anywhere you like to work is fine.

Offline germanwolf

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
  • Captian Jack is back
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2006, 03:35:57 PM »
All right, I will try this. I can't do it today, though, because I am sick. I just wanted to check. I will post tomorrow or maybe later today if it worked. And if it did, I can hopefully start my own projects thread!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 08:38:45 AM by germanwolf »

Offline germanwolf

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
  • Captian Jack is back
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 08:38:33 AM »
well, it has been over 48 hours.... so can I post again?

I have a question: well, I made a folder labeled Zoo Tycoon 2 Creations, and copied and pasted the x100_000 zip folder there. Then I clicked 'extract all', and I guess I extracted it, because another folder appeared next to it, labeled x100_000. Now what do I do? Am I supposed to open it? When I double click on it, it says 'open with' and givers me some options of what I can open it with. Now what od I do? You guys said I don't need winzip/winrar..

Offline Red Panda Twins

• Senior Zookeeper
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 03:22:52 PM »
If you really extracted it, it should be a folder.  What type of file was it?

Offline tazlover

• Zookeeper
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006, 10:41:17 PM »
It should have taken a bit for it to extract to the folder.  To open the individual files, try using Wordpad (comes with Windows) when the computer asks "Open with.."

Offline germanwolf

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
  • Captian Jack is back
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 05:57:57 PM »
well, it is the x100_000 folder, the one with the ES animals in it. The only option for me is to open it with something.... but what? I have notepad, but that doesn't do anything.

Offline penguinbomber14

• Senior Zookeeper
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2006, 06:22:21 PM »
I use winRAR to open the z100 and x101 z2f files and then notepad, winhex, xvi32, heximalXtra 4.10.7, and wordpad to edit the files. notepad and wordpad are good for small files, winhex is good for special coded files, xvi is good for special coded files that are over 200 kb, and heximalXtra is a real heavy duty hex editor, it saved over 300 pictures on my corrupted digital camera memory card.

Offline germanwolf

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
  • Captian Jack is back
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2006, 06:53:38 PM »
I don't have  winrar/winzip, and my dad won't let me get it, and I don't know why. I explained that in my first pst. Peacenote said she doesn't have winzip/winrar either and she can make stuff. SO i need an alternative. I can't open it with winzip/winrar, penguinbomber14. Thanks anyway.: :( :

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2006, 07:22:20 PM »
You can get WinZip at least for free, and it will only give you 'nag' notices after the 30 days. You never have to actually pay for it.

Offline germanwolf

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
  • Captian Jack is back
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2006, 08:38:24 PM »
OK, scleesburg, I got winzip now, for free. I think I opened the file now. Do I ckick on the WolfGrey beh file or the tsk file?

Offline tazlover

• Zookeeper
messed-up Unzip
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2006, 10:07:03 PM »
if you have notepad, you also have WordPad (they are two seperate programs).  Try using Wordpad.  I used it to open a couple of the files and they were readable, just didn't make any sense to me - too much like a foreign language.