Author Topic: Guides for beginners?  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Daddyman

• Pooper Scooper
Guides for beginners?
« on: February 12, 2007, 04:47:49 PM »
Hello,
This goes out to all the super ZT2 mods out there: Mikobishi, Penguinman, Red Not Dead, Shien Tirang, Yellow Rose, Gibbon Fantastic ect;
on behalf of us stone cold beginners.

Is there or can there be a complete "How To" guide(s) to recoloring, creating variants and possibly creating your own animals?
(Mainly recoloring!! :) )

I read the basic Recoloring guide by Penginman on using DXTBMP and then beat my head against the wall not understanding why even the simplest modification would not show up in game, only to discover much later that I also needed other programs and had to modify other files within the game. (I still haven't succeeded.) I didn't realize his guide was primarily on the use of DXTBMP.
So I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to put together an A-Z to guide. (Possibly with examples?) :)

Also several of the guides that are listed are no longer available for download. Ex: Gibbon-Fanatics .dl making tutorial, Gibbon-Fanatics Staff Making Tutorial

I know it is easy to take for granted that someone may know how to do part of something, or where that thing is or is supposed to take place. When in fact they do not.
I've worked construction my whole life and have told people, "Just put a toenail in that truss."  And have actually seen them go looking for a box of toe-nails! (Toe nail meaning: Drive the nail in at angle.) Or
"Just tack it." And have them ask me where the tacks are. (Tack it: Means leave the head of the nail or screw exposed, for easy removal later.) And the funny one is sending is a new guy to out to get the board stretcher!!(Doesn't exist)
Anyway you can see my point....

I personally would be very happy to be able to create a "Paint horse" for my daughter that would actually work in game. I know if I keep fumbling through the post of the available sites I will eventually hit that "AH HA!" moment. But I thought I would ask for a guide anyway!!
By the way, please do not misunderstand or think me ungrateful for what you all have already done, if it wasn't for people like you ZOO2 would be just another game not a community. And that is why I ask.

Thanks in Advance
Jason
"Daddyman"

Edit: I have just received a reply from Mikobishi on another site that she is working on a project like this already. However I will leave this up just in case some of the others may already have such a guide or be willing to do something similar. And if nothing else other 'Beginners will know the question has been asked and the answer may be on the way!

PS. To Forum Moderators:  If this post/request in found to be inappropriate please just delete it instead of banning me, my daughter would kill me if I got us banned from here. We already have every download for zoo 2 available in our game (with the exception of some the ambients), and were anxiously awaiting the new ones.
I also just noticed this post is probably in the wrong place. It can be deleted, I would if I could but obviously I am unable to do so.
Thanks again
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 08:29:48 PM by Daddyman »

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Re: Guides for beginners?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 05:01:22 PM »
Penguinman's VAT is really the EASIEST way to do anything. We have many topics here at ZA to help you with any problems you have with it. Writing tutorials is very hard work and we try to "dumb them down" as much as possible, but some knowledge is necessary for it. Basically, for a variant, as long as you have WinRar, DXTBmp, and a paint program, you should have NO problems.

Offline Daddyman

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 05:11:19 PM »
Thanks again Mikobishi,

I will try the VAT guide. I didn't really think I was a complete idiot until I started trying to make a simple change (skin).
But this has made made me feel less than intelligent!

PS If I knew how to delete my post I would, but modify it was all I able to do.

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 05:13:30 PM »
Only Mods and Admins have the power to delete posts :D Besides, you didn't do anything wrong by posting!

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 06:32:10 AM »
Feel free to ask any questions you have.  I had the same trouble with the variants.  It think mika can testify to that to my troubles to :D

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 09:33:56 AM »
LOL foooor sure :laugh2:

Offline k2

• Compost Pile
  • Pooper Scooper
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 01:00:16 AM »
i had a lil trouble too, but soon figured it out... i made an albino gorilla :)

Offline adam1990

• Senior Zookeeper
    • Zoo Tycoon 101
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 03:39:48 AM »
How about a guide on how to make the gift appear?  That's what I need help with.