Author Topic: Waterhaven Zoo and Aquatic Center  (Read 18909 times)

Offline DingoMutt

• Zookeeper
Waterhaven Zoo and Aquatic Center
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2006, 06:31:10 AM »
Ha Ha!Tic Tac Toe Zoo! Wonderful.

Offline ZooTycoonLover782

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2006, 08:23:23 AM »
i would like to adopt please! A african buffalo please, but can i adopt more than one animal? If so i would like to adopt two african buffalo's!

Offline Nique

• Just Nique... nothin' fancy
  • Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2006, 08:35:04 AM »
@ ZooTycoonLover - absolutely! you can adopt as many as you like - but it will be later today or tomorrow before I'll be able to get your cert. up (having a big BBQ for the 4th) -

Thanks!
Team NAZRRA

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2006, 12:26:47 PM »
OK Nique! I would like to adopt two african buffalos and two bongos and a camel and an oryx please!

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2006, 07:14:55 AM »
This is a great thread! i love the picks!

oops! sorry about double posting!

Offline Nique

• Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2006, 05:42:00 AM »
ZooTycoonLover -

Sorry, that I took so long to get back to you - I've been out of town but I do have your Adoption Certificate ready! :happy:  

Enjoy! and now that I'm back, I'll get to work on some new posts! LOL
:IloveZA:

Offline Red Panda Twins

• Senior Zookeeper
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2006, 06:55:39 PM »
Wonderful idea!!  Cool thread!!

Offline RedNotDead

• Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin
  • Affiliates
  • Game Warden
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2006, 09:35:47 AM »
Reopened as per request

Offline Nique

• Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2006, 07:48:30 PM »
Thank you RND! :original:

Hello all! Sorry about my lack of posting here lately, between vacations and testing MM2, I lost track of how long it had been since I posted.

I decided to create a new zoo using the Safari theme only in a medium scrub map (I love the way the colors play off the foliage – it looks somehow more realistic).

The Entrance into Safari Sights leads guests right to the Safari fountain and of course further up you will see a pathway that leads up to the snack area. Feel free to head on up and grab a hot dog or a drink before we continue.

As we head to our right, you will see that our first exhibit brings us to a mixed exhibit of Zebra and the Thompson Gazelle. They get along so well together.
Zebra :
Thompson Gazelles:

To your left, we have our Lion exhibit. From overhead: Here is Dad: Watching me watching you…
and Mom being a great provider and protector.

Look for more coming pictures tomorrow :thumbsup:

Offline sheltiefan

• Beware of parrot
  • Senior Zookeeper
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2006, 09:37:59 PM »
Those pics are wonderful :woot:. I agree the safari theme and foliage does look great against the scrub.

Offline Nique

• Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2006, 06:39:29 AM »
Thanks Sheltiefan!

The guests love watching our animals through the binoculars.

Past another fountain we find the Wildebeests. They seem so tame and peaceful just meandering through the foliage.

If you look to your left now, you’ll see our pair of Reticulated Giraffes. Beautiful creatures but they do have their funny side as well! This one looks like he just pulled a practical joke on someone!

If we walk back to through the center courtyard and snack mezzanine, we will come to our mixed exhibit of Beira Antelopes and Pronghorn Antelopes. The Beira can be a bit silly but the Pronghorn are very elegant.

To your right we have a rather large heard of Addra Gazelles. A valuable source of food for humans throughout their harsh range, addra have been hunted extensively for their meat. Addra have also been hunted because they are seen as competition with livestock for the limited food and water in their region. Although they are well adapted to harsh environments, addra still heavily depend on tree cover for protection. This is an endangered species that has become very rare and is disappearing fast due to poaching.

EDIT: Do you prefer a link to the pictures like I have done? Or thumbnails?

Offline Griffin_04

• Zookeeper
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2006, 12:53:00 PM »
i prefer the links actually :specool: zoo and pics!

Offline Zephyr

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2006, 05:11:29 PM »
I like the links too! I really like the way you tie them in with what you are saying!:specool:

Offline Nique

• Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2006, 06:19:49 PM »
I started a new zoo today based on the map that I put up for download...Come on in and visit the Waterhaven Zoo

Coming through the Entrance - notice the waterfalls on either side of the walkway...

Here is an overhead view looking back at the entrance

Walking forward a bit, we have a pathway that takes us to the Alpine entrance of the Waterhaven.

An overhead view of the Alpine exhibits before we take a closer look...

Our first exhibit to your left is the Gelada exhibit. We have a single male and 4 females with 2 younguns' at this time...

Next, we have a mixed exhibit with 2 pair of Ibex and 2 pair of Markor.

To your right we have the Snow Leopard exhibit with a male and a pregnant female.

Coming back out to the main causeway, you'll see to your left a few guest amusements and the Lagoon in front of you. The Lagoon from overhead.

A view of the Map

Offline Wild One

• Zookeeper
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2006, 08:44:06 PM »
Cool zoos, I like your exhibits alot! Your theming is fantastic as well. :thumbsup:

Offline mintralcat

• Senior Zookeeper
    • http://
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2006, 08:48:25 PM »
all of your pictures look awsoem , where did you gety that path?

Offline Rosinas Cat

• Feline Friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Cool Cat
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2006, 10:47:29 PM »
Very nice Nique. I'm looking forward to seeing how that map develops as you continue.:thumbsup:

Offline Nique

• Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2006, 03:48:02 AM »
@ Wild One: Thank you

@MinstralCat: Thanks! The path is my first "creation." I made it with ZA's 5th Anniversary coming up in mind.

@ Rosinas Cat: Thanks to you too. I'm thinking the next area will use the Safari theme with some Savannah exhibits...

Hopefully, I'll have some more pictures up here later this morning.

Offline Nique

• Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2006, 06:52:44 AM »
Entering our Savannah side of the zoo now...

First up we have our entrance that has the food court just to your left. As we walk past the food court we find another bathroom and statue greeting us.

Looking down the pathway, on your right you will find the Giant Sable Antelope. They just such a gorgeous animal.

Walking past the statue, you will come to the Masai Giraffe.

On your left, we have a mixed exhibit with the Thompson Gazelle and the sweet little Dik Dik.

And finally, our last Savannah exhibit at the moment... the Serval. They are so funny and cute to watch! :wub:

Last shot: an overhead view of the Savannah area

Offline beagleboy21

• Zookeeper
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2006, 08:40:50 AM »
can we still adopt animals?  great looking zoo!

Offline Nique

• Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2006, 09:01:10 AM »
Thanks Beagleboy! I really wasn't planning on going with adoptions for this zoo... but if you'd like to - by all means please do and I'll make you a cert : :) :

Offline Rosinas Cat

• Feline Friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Cool Cat
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2006, 01:34:38 PM »
Gorgeous pics again , Nique. The colours are so vivd!:woot:

And that path you made is fantastic!!:thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 01:37:27 PM by Rosinas Cat »

Offline Nique

• Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2006, 11:12:23 AM »
Personal Note: Sorry it has been so long since I have updated here, I kinda caught a 'bug' - the design bug anyway...lol... I have been busy working on all of my projects and just realized how long it had been since I was here...if you haven't read and are curious, you'll find a link to my project page in my sig down below. Ok, as they say, "On with the show..."

As the sun sets on another busy day, conversation turns to the events of the past two months.

Wiping the sweat from her brow, Nique turns to Rachel saying, "I can't believe how much has gotten done around here in the last 6 weeks! It's amazing the difference!"

Rachel glances around her, shaking her head, "But there is so far to go!" I am so happy that the grant came through, but truly, I didn't know how hard this was going to be."

"Just be glad that it isn't us doing all of the hard work!" Nique says with a chuckle.

Thinking back to what brought her to Waterhaven in the first place, it was a fluke - a stroke of fate. She had been busy working in another zoo; her life devoted to caring for the animals and running a profitable business so that she could reinvest that money into more research. One day she just decided that she needed to take a break, to see something besides the zoo walls and to smell something besides the behind the scenes odors of running a small menagerie. As she wandered the back roads of Maine just following the road - any road - she came to a small private sanctuary set firmly in the middle of a grassland oasis. She had to see it. Once inside, she was appalled at the living conditions of the animals. Not that it was abusive, but they only had the bare minimum to exist on. Too tight enclosures, little or no shade, no toys or other enhancements. It seemed more like a line of prison cells than a zoo or sanctuary. There were few animals, nine in all. A poor man's Noah's Ark. A pair of Grizzly Bears, a pair of American Bison, Jaguars, Lions, and a pair of White Rhinos. And finally, a single lone male Grey Wolf.

to be continued...

Offline Seraphii

• Signed, sealed, delivered
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2006, 11:17:48 AM »
Yay!!!! awesome! =D i cant wait to see what happens next! oh! and I know who Rachel is :wicked:

Offline Nique

• Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2006, 11:40:35 AM »
While wandering around, feeling helpless against the animals' plight, Nique happened upon who she took to be a keeper. Turned out it was the owner himself. After talking for a bit he went on to explain how the sanctuary had fallen on hard times. It turned out that he had simply run out of money to care for the animals properly and had slowly been donating them to zoos that would take them in. He was horribly upset, but it couldn't be helped.  His heart had been in the right place, he simply didn't have the financial backing or the expertise to be successful. Jokingly, he offered the whole place, animals and all, to Nique if she would see them through to good homes. She left there pensive but not really thinking there was any chance at all to save that gorgeous place.

Once home, she began writing letters explaining the situation and within a month she was calling the owner with a plan. She had financial backers in place, and a grant in the works.

"Nique, are you listening to me?" Rachel brought her out of her daydream and she again turned her attention to the tasks at hand.
"I was telling you that we just got the new arial photos for the advertising campaign that starts next month. What do you think?"

"Wow! They are gorgeous! That's amazing! These will look great in our flyers. Thanks." Flipping through them, she noticed such a huge change in the place. The new entrance demanded that you pay attention. Gone was the little gravel pathway that led to line after line of cages. Now there were waterfalls flanking each side of a paved pathway, complete with koi in the ponds. Benches greet each visitor and invite them to sit and rest and just enjoy the view with the waterfalls behind you. A newly commissioned arch had just gone up the day before and through the arch was the new path past the restaurant and on to the new exhibits.

...to be continued