Author Topic: Mika's Trip to Africa  (Read 39615 times)

Offline KookyKoopa12

• Zookeeper
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2006, 06:14:59 PM »
Just imagine what the safari would be like when DINO DANGER IS RELEASED! :woot:

Offline madreali

• Pooper Scooper
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2006, 07:00:57 PM »
Awsome Pics! I especially like the picture of the Masai Giraffes. I think its pretty. :happy:

Offline Cuddly Panda

• Scientist
  • Boss of Cuddly Panda Films
    • Cuddly Panda Films - See my movies!
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2006, 09:15:57 PM »
Yay! An update! :IloveZA:

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2006, 10:36:49 PM »
Yes, I apologize for the lack of updates...I have been working 9 hour shifts daily at work (I'm used to working a 5 days a week, from between 4 and 7 hours each) so I've been just exhausted.

Continuing from the last post...

I continued to peruse my surroundings, watching the mating games of the animals around me. I managed to see a display from the male giraffes, who were fighting over a female near the water hole.

The victor promptly went over and...introduced himself, shall we say.

The wildebeest kept my attention, as no matter where I looked I was entertained by them. Lost in watching them rough house, I scarcely heard the rustling in the brush behind me. I turned around, just in time to glimpse something moving in the grass.

Then, my eyes detected movement, and I look up in time to see a tail disappear behind a rock...

I stood still, trying to hear beyond the noises of the gnu, whose sound now seemed overbearingly loud. I wanted to just shout "SHHHH!" but knew the only thing I would accomplish would be scaring them off.

A female cheetah crept up to the water hole, thirst apparently more of a pressing need than hunger, as she did not even give the wildebeest a second glance. Moreover, she did not try to conceal her presence, and instead just sauntered right up.

After she had lapped the water up, she gave a big yawn. Suddenly, her hair on her neck stood on end, and she couched low to the ground, her small ears pressed tightly to her head. Her pupils dilated to an enormous size, and I couldn't help but think of my cat, sitting at home on the back of the sofa, startled by my coming in late at night. Something had obviously spooked this wild beast.

Afraid of a lion or hyenas, two real threats to the cheetah and its existance on this planet, I looked where her eyes remained facing. A male from the wildebeest heard was apparently finding the cheetah's presence a threat, and was intent on chasing her away.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 10:48:24 PM by mikaboshi »

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2006, 10:39:09 PM »
Again from last post...

Taking the hint, I barely had time to look back at the cheetah before she darted away.

Knowing better than to be out on the savannah long after dusk, I began my short trek back to the camp. As I rounded from the back, I saw a gaping hole in the fencing that was there to protect the villagers from carnivores. In its present state, it couldn't keep out anything.

Weary of the intruder that could be lurking inside, I started yelling loudly, making growling noises and just plain noises, trying to not startle whoever was there. I heard Adebanke barking hysterically. I hoped she was barking at my odd noises rather than at something that lay within...

I stepped over the part of the fence that had been turned into mere bramble, and looked across the camp. Apparently some of the gnu had beat me to home!

I gave a laugh. I knew that the beasts were dangerous, but I just wasn't expecting a bunch of antelope to be inside. They were licking up some of the salt that I had brought from home, in case of the lack of seasoning. Adebanke was trying to be a herding dog, as she barked at the animals, trying to get them out of her home. I tried to help her as best as I could, but she seemed much more adept at it than I.

Finally, all of the animals were gone. I stoked the fire, glad that the wildebeest had not trampled it and put it out. I cleaned up around the camp as best as I could, piling some of the logs and sticks in front of the broken part of the fence. I covered myself with blanket I had found in one of the huts, as tonight was a tad more chilly than the previous nights had been. Adebanke lay down with me, and I placed my arm around her neck. We fell asleep like that, like old friends.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 10:52:27 PM by mikaboshi »

Offline Dandelion Mane

• Zookeeper
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2006, 04:47:10 AM »
Quote from: Seraphii
Not if your in them :pinch:

True, true.

Offline Bjrichards

• Zookeeper
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2006, 05:07:36 AM »
Cool update im glad nobody or anything was hurt besides the fence : :) :

Offline Seraphii

• Signed, sealed, delivered
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2006, 05:17:58 AM »
Yay Mika!!
really good job!
I love this story!
Big,tough Adebanke XD

Offline Dandelion Mane

• Zookeeper
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2006, 05:27:00 AM »
Quote from: Bjrichards
Cool update im glad nobody or anything was hurt besides the fence : :) :

Poor Mr. Fence. However, predators may intrude through the gap in the fence.

Offline Griffin_04

• Zookeeper
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2006, 06:15:51 AM »
OOOOOOH good idea!  btw, Mika  did you just find the fence like that?

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2006, 06:37:48 AM »
Ya, she just found the fence broken when she came back which is how they got in.

Great story yet again! ANd of course the pictures are splendid :happy:

Offline DingoMutt

• Zookeeper
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2006, 07:03:56 AM »
Another amazing performance!Bravo!Bravo!

Shadow

Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2006, 09:09:13 AM »
Once again, great job!  Action-packed and very descriptive : :) :

Offline madreali

• Pooper Scooper
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2006, 09:21:25 AM »
Awsome Story! Its so cool how you caught the pic of the cheetah running so perfectly.
Their so fast I don't think I could catch that. Great story line. Can't wait for more. :happy:

Offline Red Panda Twins

• Senior Zookeeper
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2006, 10:27:18 AM »
At least the dog's okay.  I was a little worried.

Offline Penguino

• Game Warden
  • E Spheniscidae, Spheniscidae
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2006, 05:39:42 PM »
I must say, Mika, you're a great storyteller!

Offline Budgielover101

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2006, 05:59:51 PM »
Wow your stories are awesome!
5 woots! or whaterver :) :woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:
This is a great story and it's cool how all the things just happen like the fence and they add to the story!

Offline nrg800

• Zookeeper
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2006, 06:27:23 PM »
:clapping: Mika this is the most interesting story ive ever read.:clapping:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 01:15:27 AM by nrg800 »

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2006, 11:16:31 PM »
Wow! Thanks everyone!

Some good and bad news. The good news is that I am a beta tester for MM2 (wahoo!).

The bad news is that new posts may come later than usual (if you didn't think that could happen). I hope to post once a week at least, but if I can't, well, then I can't. But I will not abandon the storyline, no matter what. I have so many things running through my head!

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2006, 11:27:34 PM »
Long entry. Woo. Hard to do when game kept crashing because MM2 Beta is installed...(sorry, nothing MM2 is in this, don't even ASK, lol)

I woke up with the warmth of the sun on my face, but I don’t think that that was what woke me up. Everyone was in the camp, unusual for me because I was so used to them being gone before I awoke. I saw Hazkia standing next to one of the larger buildings, and he rose his hand to greet me. I waved back at him. I stood up, brushing off the debris that collected on my clothes as I rolled on the ground during the night. I walked over to the camp’s leader, almost colliding with a boy who was quickly carrying a basket of almost brown bananas through my path. When I reached Hazkia, he firmly placed his hand on my shoulder and smiled at me.

“Mika, how are you today? You sleep long time, no?”

I laughed. In his broken English, I could still here my mother scolding me for spending half my summer days sleeping. “I am good, Hazkia. Why is everyone so busy? What is going on?” I looked around the camp, watching people moving back and forth with baskets of food and saw the carcass of what appeared to be a gnu.

“Ahh, Mika, we go home, to the forest. We hunted long time, but the food is scarce. We lucky to get her,” as he pointed to the animal lying in the camp. “But we return here when the rains come. The rains bring plants and water for the animals, and they give birth. When the animals not hungry, we not hungry. You go with us? See home?”

I started to almost panic at the thought of leaving the savannah. I just got here though! I was thinking. I mean, I had only seen flamingoes, zebras, giraffes, wildebeest, African Wild Dogs, a lioness and a cheetah! Thinking back through my list, I realized that seeing those animals in such a short amount of time was quite the feat. I placed my hand on Hazkia’s shoulder, mimicking his stance. “Hazkia, let’s go to your home. This sun is hot!

I began to pack up the few belongings I had. I sat in the hut a while, deleting some extremely bad pictures off of my digital camera’s card to free up some room in case we saw something on the way. I cam across one of the giraffes I had photographed a few days before, and though it was kind of a bad shot, decided to keep it because it just looked so pretty.

As I had woken up much later then everyone else had, and everyone had basically muled themselves with everything we could carry, it was time to say goodbye to the encampment for now. Adebanke showed up just as we were leaving, an almost sad look in her eyes. She barked at us a few times, running into the camp and then back to us, back and forth a few times before finally settling next to the burnt out camp fire.

Hazkia and I could not figure out why the dog was acting as such. We tried to coax Adebanke out of the camp, but with no success. We even tried to offer her a piece of the meat the men had worked so hard to get, but she sniffed it and promptly refused. She chittered at us, begging us to stay with her there. Hazkia scolded her “Adebanke! We leave every year, and you come with us every year. Why you hesitate?”

Instead of an answer from Adebanke, we heard the hooting of a Wild Dog off to the distance. Adebanke sat up, listened, and hooted back.

Hazkia laughed. “Is there someone we need to meet before we leave, Ade’?” She barked a few times at us, seemingly to say yes.

From out of nowhere, a male Cape Dog came near to the camp. Instead of growling at this dog like she had before, she greeted him warmly.

Then she got a serious look on her face. She chittered, then hooted, then barked, almost panicing. From where the male had come, so did two little Wild Dog Pups!

“Well, it seems that we have a few more coming home, this time,” Hazkia stated. “Good, but we not travel with those who are nameless. This boy here, we will call him ‘Yahya’ – God’s Gift. He is God’s gift to our little Adebanke. It strange that a male would mate with one without a pack.

“Now for these youngsters…”

Watching, one pup was obviously attached to the newly dubbed Yahya. Seeing this, Hazkia promptly found a name for her. “You are ‘Adanna’ – father’s loving daughter.” Noticing that Adanna was smaller than the other pup, also a female, Hazkia chuckled. “Your name is ‘Kissa’ - First daughter born to the family, in hopes that Adebanke and Yahya will stay together long time, and make much larger family.”

As the sun began to disappear behind the hills of the savannah, everyone realized that while they were very eager to return to the shady home in the woods, it was too late to head out now. Besides, there were new puppies to play with!

Offline Budgielover101

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2006, 11:36:00 PM »
Awwwwww.... Adebanke has a family now! the pups are so cute!
I love that sunset pic Mika! Your stories are so great! And it is amazing that you still have time to do them at all now you MM2 Beta test and you are now a mod. :rolleyes: :original:
Great story as usual!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woot:

Offline Red Panda Twins

• Senior Zookeeper
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2006, 08:14:42 AM »
Amazing story!!  Keep updating!!

Offline PokemonKD

• Pooper Scooper
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2006, 12:34:02 PM »
Two giraffes image ?

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2006, 11:41:56 PM »
Quote from: PokemonKD
Two giraffes image ?

:huh: Huh? I don't understand your question, I'm sorry!
If you are referring to the fact that I had a picture of two giraffes in my last entry, and then another picture of a giraffe in this entry, then the only thing I can say is that I thought it was a pretty picture, and wanted to share it, and that was the way I worked it into the story.

If that's not what you are inquiring about, then I'm afraid you will have to explain further what you do mean.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! :blushing:

Offline Cheeky Tutti

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://
Mika's Trip to Africa
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2006, 03:00:38 AM »
Aww these pics are beautiful!! Wow such a great storyline, it's a really different idea!! Well done, I wanna see some more!!!!! : :) :