Author Topic: Sahara Aquarium  (Read 9815 times)

Offline luckybunny

• Zookeeper
  • Don't kiss flamingoes- it's not healthy
Sahara Aquarium
« on: July 04, 2006, 06:24:30 PM »
“I’m gonna be late for the plane if you don’t hurry up, Sadie!” I yelled as my dog was doing her business. I’ve been waiting to do this study forever, and finally when I get the chance, my dog is stalling! “Do you want to come or not?!” She rushed in the van and we where on the way. On the plane she behaved well while I watched a document on the penguins on my laptop. This was my first chance to show the world my photography skills, and I was exited. When we finally got to the New Zealand airport, I was already dreaming of them, the Fiordland Crested Penguins. If this mission was a success, I’d be hired by many to photograph and document many types of animals. When I got to the sanctuary, I showed them my pass, and went in. These animals had no human contact whatsoever in their entire lives, so I knew it would be easy to view them.. I found my fenced in ‘house’ which was just an umbrella that was fenced in with a small place for my dog. We were settled in and even though I was ever so eager, it was very late so I went to bed.

Offline Bjrichards

• Zookeeper
Save the zoos
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 08:17:13 PM »
i love the story so far cant wait to see more! : :) :

Offline Cuddly Panda

• Scientist
  • Boss of Cuddly Panda Films
    • Cuddly Panda Films - See my movies!
Save the zoos
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 02:38:50 AM »
Yeah! Awesome! :specool:

Offline Nique

• Just Nique... nothin' fancy
  • Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
Save the zoos
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 03:57:18 AM »
Great beginning :specool: Can't wait to see more!

Offline Griffin_04

• Zookeeper
Save the zoos
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 04:49:17 AM »
A good story!  Bad dog! :dog: lol

Offline world

• Zookeeper
Save the zoos
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 07:26:12 AM »
:specool: Great Story!Cant wait to see more!

Offline luckybunny

• Zookeeper
Save the zoos
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 07:52:36 AM »
Thanks for the comments.:happy:

After a good nights sleep, I was on the road. It took me 2 hours just to find a large group of what seemed to be over 50.The group was unafraid of me, as I thought and I found a small cliff which had the perfect view of them. They were fishing for an hour then went ashore.

All of a sudden, They all start to flee in the same direction.

I look the opposite way  And I see my dog stalking them!!

I quikly run up and get her. When I bring her back to her cage, I realize that she was out of food and the cage was open! I refill the dish and go back to my viewing spot. I manage to catch some cool pics of them and return for dinner.
 "Let's see...Berries, bananas, fish, a little meat, lettuce, apples carrots and figs. I think I can make something up...After supper, I went to the small pond behind me, and noticed that I wasn't the only one who wants a bath before bed!

Four of the penguins had joined in! I went to bed dreaming of the other adventures that awaited me. I also dreamed of how great this was going and how fast my promotion would come. I'd be sorta sad, since I won't be hear untill the breeding season, which would be so cool. Maybe after I made enough money I could take a break and come back just in time for it.

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
Save the zoos
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 07:58:17 AM »
Great story! The pictures are great and of course I love the penguins! :happy:

Offline RedNotDead

• Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin
  • Affiliates
  • Game Warden
Save the zoos
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 07:58:45 AM »
what a nice story and pictures - are you using ordinary penguins and if so why arnt they angry LOL

Offline africanwilddog

• Senior Zookeeper
  • Mbwa Mwitu
Save the zoos
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 08:01:45 AM »
Yeah great story but wierd that the penguins like rainforest! Did you code them to??
Oh and BTW anyways they look funny in the dark green, so does the dog!

Offline penguinman

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
Save the zoos
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 08:01:47 AM »
LOL they're the Fiordland Crested Penguins which acually do live in forests. See: http://www.siec.k12.in.us/~west/proj/penguins/images/fiord4.jpg :happy: Can't wait for more!

yeah i know but just wondering if they are availabe as download LOL
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 08:06:53 AM by RedNotDead »

Offline luckybunny

• Zookeeper
Save the zoos
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 09:02:57 AM »
Quote from: penguinman
LOL they're the Fiordland Crested Penguins which acually do live in forests. See: http://www.siec.k12.in.us/~west/proj/penguins/images/fiord4.jpg :happy: Can't wait for more!

yeah i know but just wondering if they are availabe as download LOL

Yes, they are in one of Penguinmans Penguin packs.

Offline luckybunny

• Zookeeper
Save the zoos
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 10:55:08 AM »
You guys are so nice:IloveZA: :happy:

The next day I was sooo exited that I had a very small breakfast. Now I had a new goal: To bond with the penguins so I can come closer. I started by saying hello to them. If I said hello to them every time they saw me, they would know that hello means I'm here. At first, they just looked at me without much of a reaction, but seemed to pay more attension as I came closer. For the next few weeks, I would view and photograph them from the base of the cliff that I used to photograph them on. From here I noticed that they were a little more agressive toward each other, as they were fighting a lot. In fact they were even a little rude to me! One stole my lunch!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 10:58:40 AM by luckybunny »

Offline Bjrichards

• Zookeeper
Save the zoos
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 11:10:14 AM »
lol, how did you get the fish in its mouth?

Offline luckybunny

• Zookeeper
Save the zoos
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 11:12:37 AM »
Quote from: Bjrichards
lol, how did you get the fish in its mouth?

Well it finished eating then walked away with the fish, I'm thinking it's a little bug... but a cool one.

Offline luckybunny

• Zookeeper
Save the zoos
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2006, 08:34:57 AM »
At the end there will be a special surprise for all you guys!!!:IloveZA: :happy:

As I looked around, I discovered a batch of 3 eggs! This was great, exept for one small thing: Breeding season wasn't for another couple months! I knew that this discovery was extremly important. It also ment my promotion would come twice as fast! Again, I researched when the eggs would hatch, and as my bad luck returned it was the day after my plane! I thought I was gonna start crying, but there was one other thing: I didn't know when the eggs were layed! Probably a few days before I noticed them, so I was pretty sure that I would be able to see them hatch! Now I went to photograph the eggs, something rarely seen. If there was three already, then I was sure that there would be more! Now it was getting better and better for me, my job and the survival of the penguins. I knew that I would be lucky to see the chicks still and would have to save some film in my camera for them.

Offline Gaterade

• Zookeeper
Save the zoos
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 09:07:14 AM »
Very good sotires and pictures I would make a sereis out of it

Offline Bjrichards

• Zookeeper
Save the zoos
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 09:36:48 AM »
This is great! : :) :  I can't wait to hear and see more! :happy:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 01:51:20 PM by Bjrichards »

Offline penguinman

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
Save the zoos
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2006, 10:42:07 AM »
Great stories and pictures! Can't wait to see what happens. :pin_pin:

Offline Cuddly Panda

• Scientist
  • Boss of Cuddly Panda Films
    • Cuddly Panda Films - See my movies!
Save the zoos
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2006, 12:18:59 AM »
Bad dog lol! :badgnome:

Offline Budgielover101

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
Save the zoos
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2006, 12:58:17 AM »
This is :specool: Great story and I loved the pic where the whole group is running from the dog. :original:  Which reminds me Is that dog the artic wolf or some other one? :mellow:

Offline luckybunny

• Zookeeper
Save the zoos
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2006, 05:54:39 AM »
Quote from: Budgielover101
This is :specool: Great story and I loved the pic where the whole group is running from the dog. :original:  Which reminds me Is that dog the artic wolf or some other one? :mellow:

Well The artic FOX would make a cute puppy, but it's just the white wolf varient skin.:specool: :IloveZA: Oh and if you want to know why they all went in the same direction: There was a behind-the scenes water dish LOL.

@Gatorade: It is kinda like a series but it won't just be the penguins, the surprise is you get to vote for the next animal!!!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 05:58:10 AM by luckybunny »

Offline luckybunny

• Zookeeper
Save the zoos
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2006, 06:38:30 AM »
The vote will be very soon, so you can start suggesting animals: the first 5 endangered or critticaly endangered animals exepted.

The next day was my second last day at New Zealand, and I was totally disappointed, thinking that I would not see the chicks. And when I got there, I saw one fluffy grey chick. My eyes were watery. I found a new spot closer to the other eegs, hoping they would hatch infront of me. And to my surprise, the little chick ran up to me. I knew I was not allowed to touch them, but thinking I'm his mom (there were no other penguins close) he snuggled me. Then he heard his real mom and ran off to her. Another chick hatched and immedeitly ran off to it's mom. I stood patiently with my camera focused on the last egg. If I caught it hatching I would be the happiest person on earth. And IT HATCH I GOT THE PICTURE!!!!!!!! Now I was crying. I had a picture of one of the rarest things in the world. My studies payed off.

And this last pic is dedicated to everyone at ZA, for their kind support and comments.
I'll hope to see you in my second adventure!!!!

Offline Bjrichards

• Zookeeper
Save the zoos
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2006, 06:43:52 AM »
awwww the chicks are so cute :wub: that was a great story! maybe the next story could be about snow leopards or elephants? : :) :

Offline luckybunny

• Zookeeper
Save the zoos
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2006, 06:48:04 AM »
Quote from: Bjrichards
awwww the chicks are so cute :wub: that was a great story! maybe the next story could be about snow leopards or elephants? : :) :

Can you choose one of those two to let others put an animal up for a suggestion. Thanks.
BTW: NO AA ANIMALS, AFTER A FEW MORE STORIES PROBABLY.