Author Topic: Making 'beautiful' Exhibits  (Read 6643 times)

Offline Zoo_Master

• Zookeeper
Making 'beautiful' Exhibits
« on: November 04, 2005, 06:16:39 PM »
After posting some screenshots and hearing multiple people say how they can't make great exhibits like mine, I have decided to help these people out with a couple tips.  I will begin by showing how most people make exhibits for their African elephants, then how they can make them better.  Things like toys and housing is not included in this.

This is the beginning of an exhibit.  A flat, featureless area of savannah grass and dirt.

Later, grasses and flowers are put in.  These can just be scattered around the entire area of the exhibit, randomly.

Now the killer.  Up until now both types of exhibits, plain and beautiful, are the same.  Until trees are added.  Here we have trees that are not so well placed and simply scattered everywhere with no real rhyme or reason.  I will get back to the beautiful exhibits later.

Then, food is placed, as well as water.  In this example, the food and water are fairly far apart.  And, as you can see, the elephants are forced to retreat far from the viewing area of the guests to feed.

And here a pic from the guest's point of view.  Clearly, the elephants are far away from the guest's view, and if they would get even farther the trees would cover them.  This is bad.

This, however, is a beautiful exhibit.  Notice the natural water, which automatically beautifies the exhibit and also is drinkable.  This takes out those water bowls and troughs, making everything look much more natural.  Rocks of varying sizes are placed around the exhibit and edge of the pools.  The food, and the pools are close to the viewing area, allowing guests to see what is going on.  The trees are also placed in clumps, leaving open areas for easier viewing and travel and giving the look of small clumps of forest.  Different species are also placed near each other, not just umbrella's together or something.  Another thing you can't see (which is good) is the extra branch holder hidden at the other end of the exhibit behind some trees.  A pool is next to this, which should be noticable in the pic.  This is so that depending on where the animal is, it doesn't have to go all the way to the other end of the exhibit to eat.  This is also done in case your keepers can't get to the holders quick enough, and they are left empty for a long period of time.  This way, the elephants still get a chance to eat.  (You can't see any grasses/flowers in this pic.  For some reason they did not appear, but they are there.  Grasses and flowers are important because they make the ground more interesting to look at.)

Another view from the guest's point of view.  The animals are now much closer, and open spaces are easy to see.  Toys should be placed in these open areas, so that guests can clearly see the animals play.  The shelter would be in an area where trees partly cover it, but still allow animals to get inside.

To be technical, the elephants would find both exhibits appealing, as would the guests.  However, the difference is to your eye, and maybe the eyes of people who download your zoo.  I hope this helps some people.

Now about water.  Most people place water dishes or troughs.  Now, this is completely fine.  The animals and guests will be happy.  However, using pools instead of troughs and dishes has some interesting advantages.  One, they are beautiful and make the exhibit much more natural.  Two, they never run out of water, so an animal can drink from a pool and it will never run out of water, and thus zookeepers don't have to refill water dishes.  One thing about pools though is the basic shape.  You can simply plop down a circle of water like this and be done with it if you please.

However, sometimes this just doesn't look very good.  So, you can go with the jelly bean shape.  This is simple, yet already makes the exhibit more interesting.

Finally, you might want to go all out with a unique pool.  Just place a bunch of circles in whatever pattern, connect them, and then smooth the edges of the water to look more natural and flowing.  This ultimately creates a great pool of water for drinking or bathing, and looks more like it was made naturally then a man-made circle or oval.

Having pools can make a great difference and doesn't look as unnatural as troughs.

Offline Flames The Dragon

• Senior Zookeeper
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 06:31:29 PM »
cool

Zoo192

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 06:41:15 PM »
Nice guide, very handy.

Offline Alpha Dilophosaur

• Scientist
  • I reject your reality, and substitute my own!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 06:52:25 PM »
Do you have a guide for exhibets with hills?

Offline ZooD

• Marine Biologist
    • http://zoo.ogresnet.com
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 06:57:59 PM »
when your in the flat textureless stage i recommend you do something with the elevation :cool ;) only if you want to

Offline Leveler

• Zookeeper
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 07:16:56 PM »
I disagree aboutthe feeding area. Guest and i love to see animals feed. A great part of an exibit is natural feeding areas. In my carnivore exibits i usually create a small valley in front of the veiwing area, place some dirt on the floor of it and add some aritifial caracasses with bones. This creates a natural looking feeding ground. With herbivores food placed in a grove of trees or next to a shelter or rock looks very natural as well. If you really like natural feeding areas put some grasses around to conceal the food. Another part of a good looking exibit is natural placements. Grouping trees in groves of 3, 5 or 7 creates a good looking forested area. Also never put to types of foliage next to each other, and group them so that they touch in clusters of 3 with other foliage at the corners

Offline Zoo_Master

• Zookeeper
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 05:23:06 AM »
I said all that Leveler.  I said to put the food in view of the guests.  And it is better to mix the trees up a bit, so that the exhibit isn't just one big pile of one kind of tree.  Forests aren't just one tree, they are many.

Now for elevation.  There is one biome type that really looks great with hills and mountains; alpine.  Using small hills, and not so small hills, makes it look more like a mountainous habitate.  Waterfalls in alpine exhibits also look great.  However, sometimes people make the mistake to just have a pinnacle of rock stick out of flat ground and have a waterfall.  This just looks.... ugly.

It doesn't take much to change this.  Just use the hill tool and run it over an area a couple times.  Instantly you have a string of low-lying hills that adds depth to your exhibit.  And around the waterfall, make smaller platoes (I just can't remember how to spell that), then smooth everything out to be nice and smooth (obviously).  Now, the exhibit again looks natural, and the animals can even climb up to the top of the mountain.

Now, elevation can be used in any exhibit.  However, smaller hills are usually better in all other biomes, and I find that wetland exhibits don't look all to great with hills.  But you can do whatever you want.  Hope you have a better time with elevation!

Offline hageltje

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 05:25:42 AM »
i see that you have unlocked the ES theme, could you make a hack?

Offline Tigeress_10

• ZA's craziest tigeress
  • Raptor Pack
  • Game Warden
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 05:33:34 AM »
RND has said that hacks are not going to be accepted at ZA for a few months due to the admins wanting to complete the scenarios themselves before having to test the files. ;)

Offline leopard100

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005, 05:44:46 AM »
Great use of pics
Hope this helps everyone - it certainly helped me!!!!
 :swow

Offline Zoo_Master

• Zookeeper
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2005, 06:32:01 AM »
I'll add a terrain and water tutorial too.  You might not understand, but you will in a half hour or so.

Offline Gizmo1945

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2005, 06:52:55 AM »
Great guide!  The only problem I ever have is when animals won't drink out of ponds.  Guests hate to see animals unhappy, and I hate to see animals drinking out of water dishes.

Offline Zoo_Master

• Zookeeper
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2005, 07:40:51 AM »
(I had to move the elevation part too my second post as I had too many images)

My animals always drink from pools when they are given them and not dishes. :huh

Offline GoneWild

• Senior Zookeeper
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2005, 08:43:32 AM »
zoo_master what option did you use to make the reflection in the water cause i am customizing mine and i would like to know.  great tutorial :w00t

Offline Bengal

• ChinchillAddict!
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2005, 08:45:06 AM »
The water needs to be set on Very High, but it will only work if you have a very powerful graphics card.

Offline GoneWild

• Senior Zookeeper
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2005, 10:07:51 AM »
o i have water set on very high..... i think :8  but i know i don't have the best graphics card

Offline Tigeress_10

• ZA's craziest tigeress
  • Raptor Pack
  • Game Warden
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2005, 10:27:27 AM »
Originally posted by GoneWild@Nov 5 2005, 07:07 PM
o i have water set on very high..... i think :8  but i know i don't have the best graphics card
Yeah I've got a NVIDA GeForce MX 4000 and no new water.

Great guide Zoo_Master.

Offline Zoo

• Game Warden
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2005, 10:04:33 PM »
This is an awesome guide Zoo_Master, that is so cool!

Offline Animalover44

• Raptor Pack
  • Senior Zookeeper
    • ZooMania
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2005, 03:58:39 PM »
a very informative guide, it really helped out a lot

Offline Leveler

• Zookeeper
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2005, 04:14:52 PM »
Sorry, i guess i didn't read your guide completly. I think it's great that you've made this guide, but can i suggest a mixed exibits guide as well? With combining biomes and everything

Offline Zoo Animal

• Senior Zookeeper
    • http://www.freewebs.com/zootycoonjungle/index.htm
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2005, 04:17:12 PM »
thanks for the guild!

Offline Zoo_Master

• Zookeeper
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2005, 02:16:13 PM »
Good suggestion Leveler.  I'll try that.

Offline HAL9000

• Zookeeper
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2005, 02:39:55 PM »
Great Guide, It is really helpful.

Offline Zoo_Master

• Zookeeper
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2005, 05:48:53 PM »
Thanks.  And I'm glad it is.  Should have one about mixed exhibits by Sunday at the latest.

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2005, 06:00:50 AM »
Originally posted by Zoo_Master@Nov 5 2005, 11:40 AM
My animals always drink from pools when they are given them and not dishes.
That's odd - some of mine do, some don't...  :8 My entire pack of wolves drink from the pond, except the ONE alpha male. He won't and just stands there getting mad because he's thirsty. I finally had to put in one water bowl... odd.  :blink