« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 09:40:33 PM by koffee »

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
  • made in a factory and from a special kind of metal
PETA
« Reply #151 on: December 10, 2006, 03:25:41 AM »
I do not support PETA, I think they are generally misguided about the relationship animals and humans (as animals, no less) have.

I particularly dislike their insistence that all cats should be indoor cats.  My cats love going out into the woodlands beyond my garden and climbing through the trees, lazing in the sun and hunting small animals.  Why should I keep them inside again?  Oh, because PETA says so.

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
PETA
« Reply #152 on: December 10, 2006, 03:50:51 AM »
Interesting though, they want all other animals to be free-roaming....yet cats should be kept indoors...that's not a very natural environment...LOL

Offline dootdoot

• Zookeeper
PETA
« Reply #153 on: December 10, 2006, 05:38:41 AM »
I don't mind abgout the cats indoors thing, because they can damage wildlife when they hunt birds

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
  • made in a factory and from a special kind of metal
PETA
« Reply #154 on: December 10, 2006, 06:01:05 AM »
Uh, but that's what cats -do-.  They eat small animals.  That would be how they survive (if humans didn't feed them).  It's a natural instinct that you can't just shut out :/

Offline lamna

• Senior Zookeeper
    • http://
PETA
« Reply #155 on: December 10, 2006, 09:23:41 AM »
Why cant you just put reflective and ultrasonic noise warning collers on cats? Luckly people are not puting up with all there stupid animal groups. There was a march in oxford recently with 750 people protesting to build the animal lab. PETA kills animals and hinders medical reserch, If your american Please sign the petition to remove PETAs tax exhemts status. Sign please

Offline dootdoot

• Zookeeper
PETA
« Reply #156 on: December 10, 2006, 11:37:53 AM »
Well, humans do feed them. It harms populations of native birds. And the cats aren't a natural predator to a bird, atleast not in these numbers (there are as many feral cats as pet cats). Thats why they have Trap-Nueter-Release programs, to lower the population of feral cats without physically hurting the,

Offline Hyena Girl

• Zookeeper
  • If anyone dares badmouth hyenas....
    • Cottomn's Petz Plaza (I am known as cottonbunny)
PETA
« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2006, 09:47:39 AM »
I was very angry about what PETA said about Steve Irwin. I sent an email of protest demanding them to apologise but they refused, still saying he 'harms' and 'harasses' animals, despite what I said about him having qualifications to do so. He wasn't harming wildlife to become rich and popular(like they said); he was doing it because he so dedicated to wildlife, that he gave his own life for it. I think PETA don't like him because he has his own zoo. I also think PETA is jealous because he taught more people to love animals with his up-close and personal encounters than PETA did with their biased opinions being forced onto you.

Offline RedNotDead

• Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin
  • Affiliates
  • Game Warden
PETA
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2006, 10:49:25 AM »
I thin PETA were quite correct about ther take on 'celebs' like the late Steve irwin etc they use animals to promote themselves not to help the animals I thin all wildlife show life that should be cancelled.  shows like Blue Planet ect are much better as they show the animals in theri own environment not being harrassed and mauled around by 'presnters'

Appearances on television talk shows and at conferences and community events subject animals-including babies who should be with their mothers-to completely unnatural and stressful environments. Many celebrity wildlife exhibitors use animal suppliers and assistants with poor records of animal care. Self-professed wildlife warriors make their livings by harassing and mishandling animals who are minding their own business in their natural environments. Animals' homes are invaded, their nests and dens are disrupted, and they are dragged by their tails, netted, roped, and forced to endure physical invasion of their personal space as the exhibitors jump on them and wrestle them to the ground.

True wildlife experts, such as Jean-Michel Cousteau, frown upon the idea of hauling exotic animals around in an endless parade of shows and exhibits and disturbing animals in their natural habitats. Cousteau stated that Irwin would “interfere with nature, jump on animals, grab them, hold them, and have this very, very spectacular, dramatic way of presenting things. Of course, it goes very well on television. It sells, it appeals to a lot people, but I think it's very misleading. You don't touch nature, you just look at it.”

PETA commends those true wildlife warriors who work daily to educate the public about wildlife conservation and to protect the habitats of our wild-animal friends, all while giving them the privacy and the space that they need and deserve.

Offline lamna

• Senior Zookeeper
PETA
« Reply #159 on: December 15, 2006, 10:52:28 AM »
Yeah but those kind of show are not good for reptiles. Snakes just normaly sit there and do nothing for animals. And Picking up a snake does not compare to killing over 10,000 kittens and puppys.

Offline Panda King

• Marine Biologist
  • One flaming hot panda!
    • Panda-monium!
PETA
« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2006, 02:37:29 PM »
I thin PETA were quite correct about ther take on 'celebs' like the late Steve irwin etc they use animals to promote themselves not to help the animals I thin all wildlife show life that should be cancelled. shows like Blue Planet ect are much better as they show the animals in theri own environment not being harrassed and mauled around by 'presnters'

But Steve was great.... He DID actually help animals, you know! He ran Australlia Zoo!

Offline Bep-Boi

• Zookeeper
  • The name's Boi. Bep-Boi.
PETA
« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2006, 08:13:30 PM »
I voted NO! PETA are the worst animal saving organization. Saying Steve Irwin was a bad conservationist is wrong! Why was the wildlife warriors fund created? Animal Conservation! If PETA really did try to help they would have helped save the Baiji! PETA anger me a lot and mixing religion with animals is just wrong! So was comparing black people to animals! :angry: :angry: :angry: :cool:

Offline lukewindu

• Zookeeper
PETA
« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2006, 08:16:41 PM »
I voted NO! PETA seriously have to reconsider their thoughts on zoos. San Diego Zoo is one of the best zoos for breeding and conservation. PETA should take a walk and find out. Steve has said that his goal was to protect animals. They ran Crocoseum to promote animal awareness. And pets are fine as long as they are treated with care. THey dont even care about the numerous species that are dying around the world.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 08:18:10 PM by lukewindu »

Offline Seadragon

• Zookeeper
  • Hunting for dogs...
PETA
« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2006, 09:13:41 PM »
NO!! I voted NO!! PETA kills animals, says bad stuff about Steve Irwin, and did not help save animals at all! :wallbash: :sign_alri

Offline Hyena Girl

• Zookeeper
  • If anyone dares badmouth hyenas....
    • Cottomn's Petz Plaza (I am known as cottonbunny)
PETA
« Reply #164 on: December 27, 2006, 09:05:11 AM »
There's an online petition to stop PETA, PM me if you want the link.
I do agree with some of their philosophies (e.g cruel circuses) but only a very few. I think it is good that a few of our members are vegetarians because then it means less animals need to be killed.:original:

Offline ladygreeneyes

• Pooper Scooper
PETA has skewed priorities, IMO
« Reply #165 on: January 23, 2007, 02:31:57 AM »
I would never support a group like PETA that puts the so-called "rights" of animals over those of people.  I do, of course, believe that animals should be treated with kindness, but they do not have rights, since rights are something reserved for people.  The zoos I have seen are generally very good to the animals, and some (like San Antonio's world-class zoo) have excellent breeding programs, and do a lot to keep many endangered animals around.  As for vegetarianism, if that is what a person chooses, that is their right, but telling others that they can't eat meat (or wear furs or leather!) is plain wrong.  The religious angles PETA attempts to use are plain ignorant, since God Himself clothed Adam and Eve in animal skins, and told Noah after the flood that people should then eat meat (one can assume that the serious climactic changes can account for this need).  Also, let us not forget, if no one else has mentioned this, that PETA is often suspected of being directly involved in activities that are nothing short of domestic terrorism.  I think I will stick with supporting the zoos and other realistic organizations.

Offline Atomachona

• Pooper Scooper
PETA
« Reply #166 on: January 23, 2007, 11:36:40 AM »
Peta=terrorist orginzation

Nuff said.

Offline Fabolous

• Pooper Scooper
PETA
« Reply #167 on: January 27, 2007, 10:02:57 PM »
PETA has some good intentions, but they seem to lose track of those objectives sometimes in an effort to "win."  Winning political games, or scoring one on some rival doesn't actually help any animals.  Nor does a bunch of publicity. Further, PETA seems to be becoming a punch line for an ever increaseing number of jokes.  Which means it has to spend more time working the political and media aspects.  How long can it even be effective at anything given that?

At this point, there are other organizations that are doing more while causing less harm.

Offline Jaguar

• Zookeeper
PETA
« Reply #168 on: January 28, 2007, 04:45:20 PM »
NO!

They are so cruel it's sad. :pout:

Offline Zoo Titan

• Zookeeper
  • The Valiant Knight, ready to defend at all costs
PETA
« Reply #169 on: January 29, 2007, 04:40:15 AM »
I havn't voted.(yet)

What is PETA?

Offline WackyPanda

• Raptor Pack
  • Scientist
PETA
« Reply #170 on: January 29, 2007, 05:38:43 AM »
It stands for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. Although many people here (including me) think they've gone overboard.

Offline Zoo Titan

• Zookeeper
PETA
« Reply #171 on: January 29, 2007, 06:28:50 AM »
I've voted now. NONONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those sick scum! Did you see that propaganda that was aimed at little kids?:sick::disgust:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 06:52:40 AM by Zoo Titan »

Offline chameleongeek

• Zookeeper
PETA
« Reply #172 on: February 02, 2007, 05:31:37 PM »
Animals are so abused now a days and you may not think it. I suggest googling factory farms and seeing what that brings up. I don't like Peta becasue ya they need prorities straight. I also hate how alot of they're ads are "sexual", stuff if I had kids wouldn't want them to see. also god did not put animals on this earth for us to eat, you may like to think it but pigs did not start out as pigs and cows did not start out as cows. We bred and evolutionized them to be what they are today for human consumption. If animals were put ont his earth to eat why don't we eat dogs, cats, alligators in a normal diet? Same with how a poodle came from a wolf. Sorry I just hate that exuse to eat meat. (BTW way I am a vegitarian as well =)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 05:33:53 PM by chameleongeek »

Offline Gem Chameleon

• Pooper Scooper
PETA
« Reply #173 on: February 02, 2007, 07:08:31 PM »
Yes. I am a member of PETA. Well, was. My friends were too. I don't believe, though, that Zoo's are prisons because it can save animals lives, but there are abusive zoo's out there. But just because I am a member doesn't mean I like all that they say. Let's just say I'm not exstream, I'm just an animal lover that helps out at animal shelters and such and is a vegitarian. I don't go running around naked or go yelling about bad stuff they do. I just believe in animal rights, and that fur coats shouldn't be allowed and circus animals should be placed in a good zoo where they are taken care of.

But I do see they go overboard, but I ignore it and just read about animals. Just... don't flame me.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 07:12:08 PM by Gem Chameleon »

Offline Zoo Titan

• Zookeeper
PETA
« Reply #174 on: February 03, 2007, 03:22:51 PM »
Maybe He didn't originally but after the great flood He gave us all the animals in the world to eat. Which we do and which we do not is entirly up to us He just said that we can't eat (or drink) blood. Also in the begining he gave us all of the animals and almost all of the plants (except one) to use not abuse just because He gave them to us doesn't mean it's right to abuse them but it is not wrong to eat them.
:thumbsup:

Now to continue discussing PETA, if they fund arsonists and place bombs in medical research labs then how come they arn't already shut down.:huh: