Author Topic: Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2  (Read 45060 times)

crayzee3

Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2005, 12:55:36 PM »
Yup they all have their recommended fencing. I'm possitive it's a glitch because it doesn't say they escaped... it just saying the animals really hungy or thirsty and I click on it and sure enough it will be out of it's cage. I haven't had any problems with the other campaigns. Just the VERY last one at the VERY last possible second... the scenerio won screen crashes the game. Don't ask me why. It must just be **** because all the other screens worked absolutely fine.

owlcage

Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2005, 01:45:57 PM »
Yes, there are definitely fence and enclosure glitches. In zoos where I don't have much money I make sunken exhibits with cheap fencing, and I actually saw a guest slide right off the path, through the fence, and down into the enclosure. (The exact reason you have to have fences for sunken exhibits in the first place, so guests don't fall in.) Also one time a crocodile somehow made it from the bottom of its sunken exhibit all the way up the ENORMOUS cliff I had separating it from the rest of the zoo. I've just learned to live with it.

The "zookeeper/worker can't get to..." or "educator can't get to podium" messages for me are the worst. In a big zoo they pop up literally every three or four seconds, as some worker will ALWAYS be temporarily blocked by a guest or animal. They really need to fix this so that if the problem persists for more than, say, 15 seconds, then and only then do you get a message. When I first started playing I would tear over to where the problem was, only to find the guest or animal had moved and the worker was now doing his job. I've learned to ignore them but they are still irritating.

(And the problem with ignoring is that sometimes there really is a problem. Either because of bad zoo design on my part or the fence glitch, I have had zookeepers get out of their enclosures where I often keep them, and then can't get in and start with the "zookeeper can't get to..." messages. Only when I went to the exhibit and found it full of poo and lacking in food or water did I realize what had happened.)

I guess it's just about your patience for the glitches. Mine is pretty high but probably not infinite.

crayzee3

Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2005, 01:56:59 PM »
Mine's very high. I put up with the problems all the way to the very end. I lost all that patience when I realized I can't finish the last scenerio and do I really want to risk starting the hardest scenerio over again and having the same thing happen? Not really. I shouldn't have had to pay money for a game I can't even finish playing. I spent hours and days trying to get to the end and because of these problems the end doesn't even exist. Seems almost like a crule joke. All I can do is move on and say I finished all the scenerios (because I did, just can't get "scenerio won" screen) and wait until they come up with a fix. I sent enough error reports to last a year trying different things to get the game to stop crashing so they better give me a fix or all show them! Lol  :P

owlcage

Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2005, 06:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by crayzee3@Feb 12 2005, 12:56 PM
I lost all that patience when I realized I can't finish the last scenerio
Sorry, I didn't mean to seem as if I were "scolding" you for your feelings. There's a post or two around here from other people who have had trouble with their scenario crashing RIGHT as it was supposed to win. That must be incredibly frustrating and you're right, don't know if I'd try such a long and difficult scenario again. I would definitely email Microsoft, though. I emailed them when I had what I thought was a bug in the second-generation animals game keeping me from winning (turns out it was a "hidden condition" problem). I'm sorry I don't have their address at hand but if you check MS's games website you should find something. The person who contacted me was pretty helpful and detailed about things to try. I can save you the first step by saying they'll probably tell you to do a clean reinstall of your system software and then the game. Whether or not you want to bother with all that is definitely your call. :rolleyes:

I also read about a ZT file that can be edited in order to change the condition of the scenario to "win." Unfortunately I can't remember where that is but if you hunt you might find it (might have been on another forum though). I wouldn't consider that cheating since you DID win the scenario!

hunnibuny

Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2005, 09:31:13 PM »
Sometimes when I try to flatten land, there is a spike of land that just won't flatten and it's really annoying. Or I'll try to build a fence over land and it'll say I can't because fences can't be built on water.   <_<

Offline Aussie Koala

• Canasta Trendsetter
  • Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
    • http://www.aussiekoala.com
Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2005, 10:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by said@Jan 28 2005, 05:04 AM
Yah that's the 'managing list' i was referring to.. its kind of a pain to have to go through that menu, and then you have to close the pop-up window (it turns a shade of gray), before you can actually do anything wtih your staff member even. I swear in ZT1 there was just a quick icon that let you toggle to your staff members quickly... am i crazy?
In ZT1 you could click on the staff button at the bottom of the screen- then select the type of staff member you wanted to find.

There were shortcut keys to the panel as there are in ZT2 at the back of the manual.  For example ctrl-h opens/closes staff panel in ZT 2.

Offline mo15

• Pest Control
  • Game Warden
Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2005, 07:01:20 AM »
Originally posted by hunnibuny@Feb 14 2005, 10:31 PM
Sometimes when I try to flatten land, there is a spike of land that just won't flatten and it's really annoying. Or I'll try to build a fence over land and it'll say I can't because fences can't be built on water.   <_<
That has happened to me before too.  Did you have water there originally.  I had a little pool but I wanted to lower it so I changed it to dirt but one part wouldnt lower.  I thought it looked kinda neat though, so I just built the exhibit around it and left it there.

Offline vampire

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://
Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2005, 05:32:40 PM »
if i play zt2 for about half an hour, it crashes.

owlcage

Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2005, 05:35:33 PM »
Originally posted by vampire@Feb 15 2005, 04:32 PM
That is most definitely some kind of problem with your system, not a bug in the game.

Offline bluekittySC

• Copa Cabana
  • Scientist
Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2005, 05:43:57 PM »
Maybe not owlcage, I've heard others report the same problem and their systems are just fine.

Offline Aussie Koala

• Canasta Trendsetter
  • Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2005, 10:41:16 PM »
Originally posted by vampire@Feb 16 2005, 10:32 AM
Hi- Sorry to hear you are having problems.  Could you please post your system specs in the thread Here for feedback to Bluefang.  Thanks.

owlcage

Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2005, 12:07:47 AM »
Originally posted by bluekittySC@Feb 15 2005, 04:43 PM
Maybe not owlcage, I've heard others report the same problem and their systems are just fine.
Sorry, I wasn 't clear. I was taking "bug" to mean things like animals walking through fences, the kinds of problems we almost all seem to be experiencing.

But since many people can play for half an hour without the game crashing, most likely there is something on this person's system causing a conflict. Your system can be "just fine" -- i.e. free of malware or viruses -- and still have an outdated driver or firmware somewhere that will kill the game for you.

crayzee3

Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2005, 04:59:46 PM »
Just a little update. I went into add/remove programs and it gave me the option to remove the patch so I did and that seemed to do the trick and the game works a lot better without it and it resolved my problem! The only thing that sucked was, somehow and I don't remember doing it, but the game got completely uninstalled and now none of my campaigns are done except the panda one because I had a back up of my saved files. So I had to start over and i finished a couple campaigns but I don't think I want to do the hard ones over again like the Asian one...

Offline Texgnome1

• Old Gnome!
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2005, 05:12:01 PM »
Hi there.  As there is already a pinned thread at the top, I am merging this.  Thanks.

Offline cheech

• Pooper Scooper
Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2005, 02:48:22 PM »
Is anyone having strange things happening in the challenge game? It asks for a picture to put in a magazine such as an Ibex resting in a stable. I take a picture of my moose family because another goal is to take a picture of a moose rubbing it's antlers. It counted the pictures of the moose as the ibex picture. This is the second time it's let me complete the goals with the wrong photo. I know don't complain.

owlcage

Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2005, 03:32:25 PM »
Originally posted by cheech@Feb 18 2005, 01:48 PM
It counted the pictures of the moose as the ibex picture.
That is weird. Is there any way the ibex made it into the picture somehow? Like way off into the distance, even, was your ibex visible? I know they will often accept one picture to meet two conditions (like for "guest drinking soda" and "guest sitting on bench," if you take a picture of a guest drinking soda on a bench, it satisfies both photos).

Offline mo15

• Pest Control
  • Game Warden
Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2005, 04:05:05 PM »
Originally posted by cheech@Feb 18 2005, 03:48 PM
Is anyone having strange things happening in the challenge game? It asks for a picture to put in a magazine such as an Ibex resting in a stable. I take a picture of my moose family because another goal is to take a picture of a moose rubbing it's antlers. It counted the pictures of the moose as the ibex picture. This is the second time it's let me complete the goals with the wrong photo. I know don't complain.
Is the ibex exhibit near the moose?  If so, it is probably like owlcage said, the ibex was in a stable and was in the background when you took the pic.  I have done it before, only with camels and moose.  I didn't even know the camels were in the pic, but I guess the fence was blocking it and the camera still counted.

Offline Sypke

• Copa Cabana
  • Senior Zookeeper
Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2005, 11:41:15 PM »
Originally posted by cheech@Feb 18 2005, 04:48 PM
. It counted the pictures of the moose as the ibex picture. This is the second time it's let me complete the goals with the wrong photo.

this happened also once to me.  I don't remember anymore what animal I was suppose to fotograph.. but I remember it took a moose-pic for something else...
I didn't complain at that moment... :rolleyes:
and the exibits weren't closeby, or any other animal somewhere hidden in the back!!!!!

Offline cheech

• Pooper Scooper
Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2005, 07:50:43 PM »
No the other animals weren't  in the view of the camera. I couldn't see over the exhibits fence. I think once they were 2 exhibits away and in the opposite direction of the photo's point of view.

Offline ZooKeeperMark

• Marine Biologist
Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2005, 09:41:30 PM »
This really isn't a bug at all but my game loses some of the files again and again so i save them now in a folder so i guess it is kinda faulty then, :(

Dragonfire

Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2005, 06:33:31 AM »
Wheee, I guess Im lucky! None of those things happened to me, but then again, I never have big zoos so I never hire zookeepers.  :rolleyes

The only problem I have had was with the babies being born outside the fence. When my camel was born he was on the other side of the fence, walking but not moving. I had to pick him up and put him into the exibit.  Lol!

But I also discovered new things....everytime I entered my zoo, it would say my baby camel (Prince) was being born, but he was born hours ago when I was playing before. 0_0

Offline Aussie Koala

• Canasta Trendsetter
  • Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2005, 04:59:27 AM »
Posted by: Ratqueen Nov. 28 2004, 03:25 AM
After playing the game for quite a while and testing things extensively, I've found some bugs which I hope will be fixed in an upcoming patch. Have you noticed those too, or other things? I've emailed those directly to Blue Fangs.

- Maintenance workers do not empty Recycling Bins.

- Staff does not use Jungle and Safari benches to sit -- they only use standard benches (this becomes a real problem when themeing certain areas with different types of benches, as the staff may walk accross the entire zoo only to go sit on a standard bench, when a Jungle or Safari bench is located right next to them.)

- Animals that don't swim sometimes get "stuck in water", but are actually stuck in the ground, with no water nearby.

- Animals sometimes get stuck between perimeter fence and an object (tree, rock, shelter...) in their exhibit.

- Baby animals are sometimes born outside the perimeter fence, or in an adjacent exhibit.

- Animals can walk into an adjacent exhibit if there is a gate between the two.

- Animals can fall down cliffs if there is no fence.

- I found many zoo guests walking inside exhibits that were surrounded by high cliffs and low fences (with high fences around the gate area.)

- Photo Challenges sometimes do not recognize valid photos.

Posted by: flamethrower Nov. 28 2004, 05:49 AM
My workers empty recycles so I'm not sure what's wrong with yours.

Animals get stuck in the ground because mud counts as water for some reason.

animals and guests can slide in the game now - which is why they fall off cliffs. I think this should only apply to guests (post and rail).

Posted by: Ratqueen Nov. 28 2004, 11:02 AM
Are you sure that your workers empty recycling bins? This is normally not the type of things that happens on one computer, and not on another... I have found that recycling bins fill up very slowly, because I think only empty water bottles go in them. So I, too, thought my workers were emptying the recycle bins all the time I've played so far (until a day ago, when I did further testing,) because the bins were always empty -- either because I didn't have any bottled water stands nearby, or because I was emptying them myself on occasion. But the other night, I put two stands of bottled water (no other drinks stands,) one food stand, and a single recycle bin and trash can, then added two workers and waited. Both workers went to empty the trash can as soon as it was a third full, but *never* went to empty the recycle bin, which ended up filled to the top after about 30-45 minutes running the game. I can't possibly be the only one to have noticed that?!  

As for animals getting stuck "drowning" in the ground, it's a clear bug in my opinion. If they really meant to have mud around water in the game, then it should be visible as such, and called that. But when I have an animal drowning in a large sandy area, VERY FAR from the tiny puddle of shallow water at the other end of the exhibit, I don't think it's "mud"... it's *bug*!  

Posted by: MinGraphics Nov. 29 2004, 02:57 AM
I have noticed some of the same things in my games, the other day I waited for half an hour to catch my chimp climbing on the monkey bars and took the picture and it was not recognized, I did it twice and it happened both times.

I also have a lot of keepers that can't reach dishs and poop when its right in front of them, and I have to go do it myself.

Another one is the elavated feeding dishes, the keepers are not filling them and I have do it myself. No matter how many I have they will not fill them, it says they can't reach them or something just as dumb.

The game has some bugs but I'm sure there will be a fix soon.

Posted by: 2yan Nov. 29 2004, 03:22 AM
About the workers not emptying recycle bins, yes that happens to me too. They are just too stubborn to touch recycled goods. haha. My animals don't seem to get stuck in water, they seem to get stuck in fences. haha.

Posted by: Jeeks Nov. 29 2004, 04:07 AM
Another Bug:
http://forums.ogresnet.com/zoo/index.php?showtopic=17869

Posted by: Snowie Wolf Nov. 29 2004, 04:12 AM
I haven't really had any problems with my animals drowning someplace far from the water, but sometimes my maintenance workers fail to empty some of the TRASH cans.  This is pretty annoying, for I have to empty them myself. Also, I have noticed that a lot of the times when the "Zookeeper cannot get to something" message comes up, the zookeeper is outside the fence next to the poop (if that's what they're trying to reach to reach to clean up) walking strait into the fence trying to get to it that way! You'd think they would just walk around to the gate and go in that way.  I usually have to move them into the exhibit to make them clean it up.  

Posted by: Jeeks Nov. 29 2004, 04:14 AM
(Snowie Wolf @ Nov. 28 2004, 01:12 PM)
I haven't really had any problems with my animals drowning someplace far from the water, but sometimes my maintenance workers fail to empty some of the TRASH cans.  This is pretty annoying, for I have to empty them myself. Also, I have noticed that a lot of the times when the "Zookeeper cannot get to something" message comes up, the zookeeper is outside the fence next to the poop (if that's what they're trying to reach to reach to clean up) walking strait into the fence trying to get to it that way! You'd think they would just walk around to the gate and go in that way.  I usually have to move them into the exhibit to make them clean it up.  

With me, the zookeeper is sometimes standing right next to the poop when it says that.  

Posted by: TerrierMom Nov. 29 2004, 07:08 AM
My gates sometimes don't close after a keeper has ben through them, and the animals escape. My zoo will bwe going on splendidly, guests are happy, then all of a sudden I get a message the guests are upset. And I go look, and I find a Zebra or Snow Leopard on the loose, and the guests running abotu shrieking in panic and waving their arms. I've had kangaroos escape through open gates, and lemurs, but they don't bother the guests.

Posted by: CajunLioness Nov. 29 2004, 07:25 AM
Too weird the only problems I seem to be having are that my zookeepers won't feed the animals and my maintenance workers can't reach the trash cans.

Posted by: Jeeks Nov. 29 2004, 07:42 AM
(TerrierMom @ Nov. 28 2004, 04:08 PM)
My gates sometimes don't close after a keeper has ben through them, and the animals escape. My zoo will bwe going on splendidly, guests are happy, then all of a sudden I get a message the guests are upset. And I go look, and I find a Zebra or Snow Leopard on the loose, and the guests running abotu shrieking in panic and waving their arms. I've had kangaroos escape through open gates, and lemurs, but they don't bother the guests.

I don't know if that's a bug. Maybe it's something maintenance workers should fix?

Posted by: Ramin_Raptor Nov. 29 2004, 08:24 AM
Just think about it if u didn't have the guest mode this game would be a disaster.  

Posted by: Zoo_Master Nov. 29 2004, 10:14 AM
I have a problem of my trees becoming flat when my zoo gets big. They aren't always flat, just sometimes. and not all of them. Anyone have any ideas?

Posted by: Artic_Wolf_Lover Nov. 29 2004, 10:16 AM
Hey I always have a problem with my peococks! They always get stuck on the fence! It saids the peocock is going to get water or somthing like but its not moving!  

Posted by: flamethrower Nov. 29 2004, 10:20 AM
(Zoo_Master @ Nov. 28 2004, 04:14 PM)
I have a problem of my trees becoming flat when my zoo gets big. They aren't always flat, just sometimes. and not all of them. Anyone have any ideas?

That's on purpose. It's not when your zoo gets big. It's when you zoom out. It's to keep you computer from lagging.

You can change this by raising the last few settings in options.

Posted by: Mrsfrog111299 Nov. 29 2004, 10:26 AM
Im having the game lock up on me after playing for awhile and my employee cant reach the learning booth. I have all the other zoo games and can play them just fine but everytime i play the new one it makes my computer freeze has anyone else had this problem and can anyone help. Im running win xp amd 2400 with 512 megs of ram with g force 2 MX

Posted by: flamethrower Nov. 29 2004, 10:29 AM
This thread is for bugs. Post your problem in the Tech Support Forum.

Posted by: Zoo_Master Nov. 29 2004, 10:32 AM
Which ones?

Posted by: Mrsfrog111299 Nov. 29 2004, 10:41 AM
thank you i did post in tech support

Posted by: dragonarc Nov. 29 2004, 12:26 PM
(Snowie Wolf @ Nov. 28 2004, 01:12 PM)
I haven't really had any problems with my animals drowning someplace far from the water, but sometimes my maintenance workers fail to empty some of the TRASH cans.   This is pretty annoying, for I have to empty them myself. Also, I have noticed that a lot of the times when the "Zookeeper cannot get to something" message comes up, the zookeeper is outside the fence next to the poop (if that's what they're trying to reach to reach to clean up) walking strait into the fence trying to get to it that way! You'd think they would just walk around to the gate and go in that way.   I usually have to move them into the exhibit to make them clean it up.  

That is really strange since I have been outside the fence and gotten the message "press spacebar to clean up ... poop" and have been able to clean it up when in guest mode. Perhaps that is the problem. It will let us do it but that may cause a bug for the keeper when he/she is outside looking in on it.  

Posted by: Ratqueen Nov. 29 2004, 06:20 PM
From what I've seen, we get the message that Zoo Keepers can't reach this and that whenever there is *anything* in the path between them and where they want to go at the moment. It doesn't necessarily mean they can't reach the items at all, it just means they can't reach it at this very second, because there's something in between, or they haven't walked far enough yet. Unfortunately, I think that when this happens, they just switch to the next task at hand, and then tasks accumulate and they start having a hard time to keep up.

Posted by: Ramin_Raptor Nov. 29 2004, 11:05 PM
No i just think they are lazy. If you do somthing then they say (in there mind) hey you do all the work.  

Posted by: ugaimes Nov. 30 2004, 12:11 AM
Photo Challenges sometimes do not recognize valid photos.

As far as Photo Challenges not recognizing valid photos: I do not think this is a bug. I had that problem, too. Then I realized that my photo cache was full. You can only take 24 photos. After you take 24 photos, you need to go to your photo album and start deleting in order to take any more. Otherwise, you can be flashing away at valid photos to no avail. When you're in camera mode, there is a # that will show up on the screen. For example, if it's GREEN and says something like 16/24, that means you have taken 16 out of 24 available photos. But if the numbers are in red and say 24/24, go to your photo album and delete some photos. Hope this helps!

Posted by: mak1027 Nov. 30 2004, 01:40 AM
(ugaimes @ Nov. 29 2004, 10:11 AM)

As far as Photo Challenges not recognizing valid photos: I do not think this is a bug. I had that problem, too. Then I realized that my photo cache was full. You can only take 24 photos. After you take 24 photos, you need to go to your photo album and start deleting in order to take any more. Otherwise, you can be flashing away at valid photos to no avail. When you're in camera mode, there is a # that will show up on the screen. For example, if it's GREEN and says something like 16/24, that means you have taken 16 out of 24 available photos. But if the numbers are in red and say 24/24, go to your photo album and delete some photos. Hope this helps!

You don't have to delete the photos, just move them into photo albums. Think of the camera as having a roll of film with 24 exposures ....after 24 are taken, you just have to "put new film" in the camera, but if you like the pics there is no need to delete them ...you just move them into the squares in the photo album below and create as many new albums as you need to hold as many pics as you want .

Posted by: ugaimes Nov. 30 2004, 02:29 AM
Even better!

Posted by: Ratqueen Nov. 30 2004, 09:48 AM
(ugaimes @ Nov. 29 2004, 10:11 AM)

No, that happens when the camera is not full. Happened to me (and others) several times.

Posted by: Zoo_Master Nov. 30 2004, 10:20 AM
Weird. I took a pic of a rhino getting ready to use a pursuit ball, but it hadn't reached it yet. However the picture counted.

Posted by: flamethrower Nov. 30 2004, 10:33 AM
Well, it was pursuing the ball - even though it didn't get to the ball.

Posted by: GreenLeafCat Nov. 30 2004, 12:26 PM
I've noticed that if I make pit enclosures with the low fences at the top, thats when the zookeepers leave the gate open. and I can't close it myself, all I can do is delete it and re-add it.

In fact once I sat right there in zookeeper mode and watched the zookeeper leave. He opened the gate, went through, shut it, and the turned around and opened it! He looked at the open gate as if he was quite satisfied, then he left!

Posted by: Purring Tiger Nov. 30 2004, 12:34 PM
 Weird  

I've noticed that once in a while a gate is left open too.  But I havn't acctually watched the zoo keeper open it.  

Posted by: Eagle One Nov. 30 2004, 12:50 PM
(Mrsfrog111299 @ Nov. 28 2004, 07:26 PM)
Im having the game lock up on me after playing for awhile and my employee cant reach the learning booth. I have all the other zoo games and can play them just fine but everytime i play the new one it makes my computer freeze has anyone else had this problem and can anyone help. Im running win xp amd 2400 with 512 megs of ram with g force 2 MX

I dont want to step on anybody toes but locking can be a bug. The game locks on 3 computer out of the 5 i own durring a random time limit sometimes just loading it other times after about 15 min to 2 hours.

Posted by: Zoo_Master Nov. 30 2004, 01:00 PM
I just tried to get a picture of a polar bear with a tire. I had full 'film' and took the picture just as it bit into the tire, but it didn't count!!!!  

Posted by: Ratqueen Dec. 1 2004, 11:15 AM
(Zoo_Master @ Nov. 29 2004, 11:00 PM)
I just tried to get a picture of a polar bear with a tire.  I had full 'film' and took the picture just as it bit into the tire, but it didn't count!!!!    

The same thing happened to me with the polar bear and tire!! The game did not count my first 3 *valid* pictures, where the bear was *clearly* playing with the tire, and the only thing in view of the camera too! And after that, it took so long for the bear to play with the tire again that I was about to give up and try another challenge instead. Finally, after several tries and hours of waiting, the game accepted the last picture I took. That was quite annoying, and I'm glad I've now unlocked both themes and am done with challenges  

Posted by: toxckrayon Dec. 2 2004, 03:01 AM
I concur with the photo thing. When I had to take photos of a predator stalking and then capturing prey, i was using a gazelle with grizzlies. took me a few shots to get stalking, but i blew it on the capturing because (as i learned with the 2nd gazelle), the picture needed to be very shortly before the gazelle was captured (there was still some distance between the bear and the gazelle). the bear never actually touched the gazelle, i just saw a dust cloud and then the rack of gazelle and then it was too late.

also, i too noticed when in zootopia mode, you can do things in an exhibit close to the other side of the fence.

Posted by: Tasmanian_tiger Dec. 2 2004, 03:21 AM
Well, I keep getting animals outside their exhibits. Not only babies. It seems to have something to do when you build cliffs or make a valley next to their exhibit. (Waterfalls, are also a common known problem.)

For example, I had a thompson gazelles exhibit (with a closed fence) next to one for beavers. The beavers exhibit was lowered into the ground. I still don't know how they do it, but my gazelles keep getting into the beavers exhibits. (Fences are high, so...)

Posted by: Clairevp Dec. 2 2004, 08:32 AM
i have the problem with animals getting stuck in fences, maintence workers not being able to empty trash, camels getting stuck in waterfalls, animals getting into other exhibits etc i could go on....

thank god for guest mode or this game would be  

Posted by: Tasmanian_tiger Dec. 2 2004, 07:29 PM
All by all, I am pretty pleased by the game. ZT1, when it first came out, had bugs that irritated me much more. I remember I had difficulties getting a zoo to work, guests getting stuck all the time, money problems... bleh. Sure, with the expansions everything got worked out.

Posted by: spin Dec. 3 2004, 06:23 AM
http://zt.arachnafobic.org/images/zt2/wallmistake.jpg

It's ow so small, and fixable if needed (the zoos are defined, once again, in xml  ), but that wall just looks off...
Think it was the safari zoo, just snapped this shot for later and went on...

Posted by: rygorde4 Dec. 5 2004, 02:13 AM
I think for some of you with these bugs is because the workaround (if there is one) may have not started because of a coding error or not. Mine seems to work perfectly fine. Yes there will be bugs but i havn't completely scavengered my park. I am going to put up something really neat soon here!

Cheers Rygorde4

Posted by: dragonarc Dec. 6 2004, 12:08 AM
I am having a problem right now in the biomes one. My gazelles got the red environment. I wanted to get some of them in the right state for "return to the wild" so I could reduce my population in that exhibit. So I boxed a couple of them. That temporarily resolved the problem and I was able to send a couple back to the wild. I thought I had released all of the boxed animals. Then I noticed one box. However, that one came up when selected as animal 2 which already seemed to be released into the exhibit. When I select the box it has the selection for the releasing the animal but although it seems to accept the click the box stays. I can pick up the box and move it around.
Anyone else have this bug?
l

Posted by: Birdy Dec. 7 2004, 08:22 AM
(dragonarc @ Dec. 5 2004, 09:08 AM)
I am having a problem right now in the biomes one.  My gazelles got the red environment.  I wanted to get some of them in the right state for "return to the wild" so I could reduce my population in that exhibit.  So I boxed a couple of them. That temporarily resolved the problem and I was able to send a couple back to the wild.  I thought I had released all of the boxed animals.  Then I noticed one box.  However, that one came up when selected as animal 2 which already seemed to be released into the exhibit.  When I select the box it has the selection for the releasing the animal but although it seems to accept the click the box stays.  I can pick up the box and move it around.
Anyone else have this bug?
l

That happened to me already. Just ended up deleating the extra crate. Used the bulldozer button or pressed the delete button on the key board to do the same thing. And here I thought I had discoverd a way to clone an animal  

Posted by: toxckrayon Dec. 9 2004, 02:41 AM
I don't recall seeing this posted, but I've encountered it quite a few times. If you purchase an animal, but then undo it, the animal goes away and you get your money back, but the animal is no longer available to be purchased.

Posted by: mak1027 Dec. 9 2004, 03:01 AM
Not sure if this is really a bug or not, but I noticed with the jungle and safari themed buildings, they are available without being researched and regardless of fame level ....for instance, in the beginning of a campaign the regular family restroom may not yet be available for purchase, but the jungle and safari ones are, and the same goes for the food carts. I'm not sure if they meant to do that or forgot to lock the themed ones until the regular versions are available

Posted by: toxckrayon Dec. 9 2004, 03:48 AM
i think that actually may be intentional. the items are immediately available, but they're also usually more expensive per item than the normal one is.

Posted by: hanes Dec. 11 2004, 10:55 AM
That's really bizarre you say that mak1027 because I have never had the jungle or safari themes in any of my zoos- sandbox, campaign or otherwise. All I have is the pull up window showing the themes.... I just assumed these would be future downloadable objects given to us by Microsoft. Why don't I have these themes? Any suggestions?

Posted by: Firstborn Dragon Dec. 11 2004, 06:17 PM
I don't know who said that these bugs aren't ruining the game, but seriously I think ZT1 was nowhere near as bad. I have run into the following on my game:

Keeps not able to reach something
Message saying keeper 2 can't reach the food dish keeper 1 is filling
Lions who CONSTANTLY jump a high fence to get into another exibit
Guests who are starving/need the bathroom/can't find a trash can/can't find a bench even when they are right beside an open one
The game laging/crashing when I have far better then the requirments.
Gats staying open (Though I've never seen aimals escape from them)
Animals drounding in shallow water, and animals like the gazel swimming in deep water.
Keepers AWALYS throwing down food/water even when there's more then enough in an exibit
The game dose not apper to consider shallow water (Which all animals will drink from) as a valid form of water when it comes to keeper AI (I like to use small shallow pools, as it's less work then water dishes.)
Animals starving even when they're right next to a food pile
Animals dying of thrist even when they're right next to a pool/water dish
Animals going for the food/water furthest from their position
Guests compaling about no dessert carts when there are two or three nearby
In visitor mode, getting 'stuck' on the outside of the main zoo fence.
Animals not comming out of their crates.

I think there's one or two others I cannot remeber off hand

Posted by: Russ1 Dec. 12 2004, 12:51 AM
If I remember correctly, ZT1 had some of these problems like hungry guests. It was only when DD came out that these problems went away.
We look at the past through rose-tinted glasses. ZT1 was brilliant but it also had its' problems.

Posted by: Nepenthe Dec. 12 2004, 04:07 AM
(hanes @ Dec. 10 2004, 08:55 PM)
That's really bizarre you say that mak1027 because I have never had the jungle or safari themes in any of my zoos- sandbox, campaign or otherwise. All I have is the pull up window showing the themes.... I just assumed these would be future downloadable objects given to us by Microsoft. Why don't I have these themes? Any suggestions?

The jungle and safari theme objects get unlocked when you complete enough of the Challenges. Then they are available to you for all future games.

There is a longer discussion of the details here:
http://forums.ogresnet.com/zoo/index.php?showtopic=17850

Posted by: Firstborn Dragon Dec. 12 2004, 08:38 AM
No, but on the scale of sheer numbers, ZT2 just seems to have a lot more which seems to take away from the overall game.

Posted by: Zoo_Master Dec. 12 2004, 01:15 PM
I don't know what happened!!!!! My ZT2 was perfect, but for some reason I can't save!!!!! Everytime I try, the game freezes and I lose my progress in that zoo. Help me!!!!

Posted by: many moles Dec. 13 2004, 10:29 AM
I've played the second scenario from the globe campaign for a couple of month (I don't know the english name, 'cause I've got the german one). My maintance workers semm to empty all trash cans correctly, including the recycle bin. Maybe you need an "recycle center" (don't know the correct name, said so), I've built one (to make the poo to gold) before getting the first maintance worker.
If you already have this "recycle-center", it's probably an american version only bug.

By the way my animal keepers often can't reach the animals and food dishes, too.

many moles

Posted by: harmonymouse Dec. 13 2004, 11:27 AM
[SIZE=14]  I have the gate not closing ALOT on mine and zoo keepers that only feed the animals but not clean the..... poopydoops up. Though the zoo keeper thing is not a constant issue.  

Posted by: toxckrayon Dec. 13 2004, 11:51 AM
i've found the keepers seem to be bad with the poop of a few species in particular, like penguins, crocodiles, peacocks and flamingos (birds?)

Posted by: mak1027 Dec. 14 2004, 12:17 AM
(toxckrayon @ Dec. 12 2004, 09:51 PM)
i've found the keepers seem to be bad with the poop of a few species in particular, like penguins, crocodiles, peacocks and flamingos (birds?)

I've had the same problem with the keepers not cleaning poop with those species ....they also seem to have an aversion to Okapi poop in my game  

Posted by: harmonymouse Dec. 14 2004, 07:10 AM
Well I got a new bug last night . I was playing and all seemed fine for a while except none of my zoo keepers would do anything except feed and groom and walk right pastthe pooh. then finely I fired all off them and rehired and reassigned and after a few they got it together. Then a ticker pops up saying unnamed is in a dirty exibit but before I could see what it was talking about the whole system froze up. That is my first freeze up with this game though. Something I do before playing any of my non internet games that I have found to be helpful as far as cpu usage goes is to go into my task manager and under my users name close out all processes other then explorer and taskmanager but if you do this DONT close out any thing that says system, local service or network service. In the past I have had to do this to make games run smoother.Also if anyone does this be certain to restart before going back on the net because other wise you have closed out all firewalls and anti viruse and anti spy where programs..... It adds a few min. of work but to me it is worth it.

Posted by: many moles Dec. 14 2004, 08:46 AM
Although I'm searching for that poo problem I'm not sure it is a real bug. My peafowl for example poop a lot more than all other animals. The exhibit is coverd with bird poo and my other animals are fine just one or two poo piles. What's wrong with this peafowls.
In the game code there is no difference as far as I discovered it yet between the different sorts of poo. They only have different textures but all refer to "poo". I mean the indicator which the game checks is only poo for all sorts of poo. For tasks keepers could mange there is only RakePoo, too. No bird-poo or other bad poo.

This is just all only poo...  or maybe not. Stay tuned I'm working on it

many moles

Posted by: harmonymouse Dec. 14 2004, 09:44 AM
While I dont understand the whole "code" thing I do admire you and you efforts.
Have you seen anything about "unnamed"?

Posted by: toxckrayon Dec. 14 2004, 02:08 PM
the issue with the poo is that the keepers will walk into an exhibit and ignore it. you only know of it when it's a problem, but it's not like they fill the place with poo overnight.

Posted by: many moles Dec. 14 2004, 08:40 PM
@harmonymouse: The "unnamed" bug is a tricky one as the messages are not completly predefined. In case where animals and/or exhibits are refered, there is a "%s" in the code. Which checks for the caller of the message. In your case you probably renamed an animal/exhibit to nothing. By the way is it possible to remane objects??? Otherwise the bug was an unwanted message popping out and this let your game and your PC completly freeze, wasn't it?

More interesting is that are keepers could have more tasks than feed, groom and poo-cleaning, they are intended to catch escaped animals and look for baby-animals, too. At last there is an text message for this actions in the staff_actions.xml (located in lang.z2f)

@all: There is NO poo bug!!!
You can simply tst this yourself: Go to freeform mode and make an exhibit. Place some peafowls in there and assign a keeper to this exhibit. Now you can watch him/her raking the poo.. In my opinion there is a general AI bug in the game, so keepers won't find the tasks in bigger zoos. Maybe assigning one or more keepers to an exhibit will help out. (make sure the loans won't "kill" you)

Stay tuned
many moles

Posted by: kimmh Dec. 15 2004, 02:29 AM
Here's a thought on the bird poo issue. The birds seem to have fewer behaviours available to them than the mammals do. I am assuming that their behavioural choices are random, so could it be that the "take a poo" behaviour is simply coming up more often due to the lack of OTHER behaviours?

Also, regarding the game freeze issues... after reformatting my entire computer, and installing NOTHING but Windows XP Home on my 3.2 Mhz, 1 GB RAM, 64 MB graphics, 120GB Harddrive, brand new dell, and my single copy of ZT2, I found that it actually rand WORSE than when I had everything else running in the background. I've not played it for a week now because every time I'm making some progress, the silly thing freezes on me. I'm installing a 128MB card at xmas, but aside from that, when they patch it, I'll give it another go. Till then... Phooey on Microsoft for releasing an(other) inferior product.

Kim, disappointed in Hamilton

Posted by: sheila77 Dec. 15 2004, 10:42 AM
Has anyone else noticed that after saving the game and then re-loading at another time an animal has either escaped or moved to another exhibit? I found a flamingo out wandering around at the back of the zoo, and have had other occurrences of this same problem, whereas a rhino or something will end up in the cheetah or zebra exhibit.

I am also experiencing the bird poo problem and it is so annoying. Makes me not want to use those peafowls! I love the game but it definitely has issues.

Posted by: Zoo_Master Dec. 15 2004, 12:50 PM
Yeah, bird poo sometimes for me too.

Posted by: hanes Dec. 16 2004, 12:08 AM
I did notice that in the Challenge game, one of the photo ops is to take a picture of 5 specific trees in their correct biome. When I took a piture of the baobob, it congratulated me on all my pictures, gave me an additional $ bonus and said I won the task.

Posted by: toxckrayon Dec. 16 2004, 01:01 AM
@sheila: are you POSITIVE the animals weren't in at position already when you saved the game? I used to have TONS of problems when I had exhibits sharing fences with staff gates between them. Especially with moose, they LOVED to go into other exhibits. also, kangaroos can jump low fences and peacocks often go up into trees and if the tree is too close to the fence, they can jump out as well. there are some other scenarios which allow animals to escape easily enough.

@hanes: with photo challenges, if it asks for 2 separate photos but one photo can satisfy both needs, it will count for both of them. for example, if you can get a single shot with all 5 trees somewhere in the photo, it will accept it.

Posted by: mak1027 Dec. 16 2004, 01:58 AM
(toxckrayon @ Dec. 15 2004, 11:01 AM)

@hanes: with photo challenges, if it asks for 2 separate photos but one photo can satisfy both needs, it will count for both of them. for example, if you can get a single shot with all 5 trees somewhere in the photo, it will accept it.

Yes I noticed this too ...there was a photo challenge where you had to take a shot of a guest eating ice cream, I think one sitting on a bench and a restroom or something like that......well anyway, I took the shot of the guest eating ice cream and instantly won ......on closer examination of the photo I noticed in one corner was part of a bench which I guess someone was sitting on although you couldn't see it in the pic and in the other corner was part of the restroom, so without realizing it I satisfied all 3 requirements in one photo  

Posted by: Zaxon Dec. 16 2004, 02:15 AM
(sheila77 @ Dec. 14 2004, 07:42 PM)
Has anyone else noticed that after saving the game and then re-loading at another time an animal has either escaped or moved to another exhibit?

Yes, I can confirm this. Considering that you can play the game for hours and very rarely have any escapes, if at all, but if you save the game and reload it...why, half the zoo has escaped in one split second.

Intermitant problem. But definitely exists.

Posted by: sheila77 Dec. 16 2004, 02:52 AM
YAY, another person that has the same problem. At least I know it's not a fault in my zoo design, then. It is annoying to say the least! I do have animals sharing exhibit fences but no gates. One thing I miss is that it doesn't tell you "Rhinoceros 1 has escaped!" anymore, so when you do have escapes you don't know about it until you either see the animal wandering around or get the message that it's just about ready to keel over from hunger/thirst. I guess that's a tradeoff for the natural barriers, though.  

Posted by: Xtreme Dec. 16 2004, 03:39 AM
(toxckrayon @ Dec. 15 2004, 08:01 AM)
and peacocks often go up into trees and if the tree is too close to the fence, they can jump out as well. there are some other scenarios which allow animals to escape easily enough.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. I never use flamingos or peacocks anymore, they always fly away.  

Posted by: hanes Dec. 17 2004, 05:02 AM

I now have the safari jungle theme. Has anyone else noticed that the music rock for this theme does not play music? I also noticed that the animals in the insect and reptile houses only animate if I use the default portion of the player profile manager. They do not move around when I use them in added players in the Player Profile Manager.

Posted by: many moles Dec. 17 2004, 05:11 AM
(hanes @ Dec. 16 2004, 02:02 PM)
I now have the safari jungle theme. Has anyone else noticed that the music rock for this theme does not play music?

Which is broken? Jungle or Safari? Or even both? Maybe some other code bug like the benches (and some other easy bug fix, hopefully)... Maybe these themes are added (to) late in the production phase.
I almost sure that my insect will move around and I use a custom player profile from the beginng.. I go to see if it is true what I claim  

many moles

Posted by: mak1027 Dec. 19 2004, 12:16 AM
(hanes @ Dec. 16 2004, 03:02 PM)
I now have the safari jungle theme. Has anyone else noticed that the music rock for this theme does not play music? I also noticed that the animals in the insect and reptile houses only animate if I use the default portion of the player profile manager. They do not move around when I use them in added players in the Player Profile Manager.

I play with the sound off, so not sure if the rocks work or not, but I created a user profile for myself and my insect and reptile houses are animated, so not sure what's up with that.

and to sheila 77 ....I just experienced the escaped animals after starting a saved game for the first time last night ....started a saved campaign game so I could finish it and a penguin was outside his fence trying to get in because he was hungry and one of my Thmopson's gazelles was outside the zoo wall  

Posted by: hanes Dec. 19 2004, 07:00 AM
Sorry, many moles, I meant the Safari theme music rock does not play music.

mak1027 Posted on Dec. 18 2004, 10:16 AM
I created a user profile for myself and my insect and reptile houses are animated, so not sure what's up with that.

I noticed that, too after I played some more. I have 5 users playing the game 3 get the Houses with no problem. The other 2 do not.

Posted by: Poochyena Dec. 19 2004, 08:37 AM
Yeah, I remember one of my animals was in its shelter and it was like it could walk through walls,  . I picked it up out of the shelter to get it unstuck or whatever. That's the only bug I've found while playing. o_o;;

Posted by: mak1027 Dec. 19 2004, 10:18 AM
(hanes @ Dec. 18 2004, 05:00 PM)
Sorry, many moles, I meant the Safari theme music rock does not play music.

I just double checked in my game and the safari rock and jungle rock plays music in my profile

Posted by: Ladybug Boy Dec. 20 2004, 01:19 AM
(hanes @ Dec. 16 2004, 01:02 PM)
I also noticed that the animals in the insect and reptile houses only animate if I use the default portion of the player profile manager. They do not move around when I use them in added players in the Player Profile Manager.

thay only move at sertin times

Posted by: Ratqueen Dec. 20 2004, 10:57 AM
(hanes @ Dec. 16 2004, 03:02 PM)
I now have the safari jungle theme. Has anyone else noticed that the music rock for this theme does not play music?

All the music rocks (standard, Safari and Jungle) do play different musics in my game...

Posted by: Zyduscadia Dec. 25 2004, 04:27 PM
One of my zookeepers left a gate open and then a gazelle went though the open gate and escaped111
has any1 already said this one?

Posted by: Ramin_Raptor Dec. 26 2004, 10:30 PM
When i was playing. I did the challenge with the mentancie workers went on strike but it wouldn't let me get any workers. even zookeepers, In which sucked because i had 3 exhibits with 1 keeper and was just about to make more. (isn't really big bug but wondering if it only is mine.) Also i noticed the croc is a bit big. Its bigger than a rhino. It could swallow one whole

Edit: I have alos noticed not a bug but an error. While i was playing I said hey lets use the animal check box on the instruction booklet. So i was checking the animals in my zoo and ones i have used and when it came to the Ibex there wasn't one there. I checked again, not there. Then i counted and i got 29 not 30 29 so i counted again and same answer. Jezz bluefang take pride in your work please.

Edit:errors on the other edit

Posted by: shaon Dec. 31 2004, 01:25 PM
I'm not sure weather it's a bug or just because I have a laptop, but:

My cursor will not stop blinking. any fix for this? I've never have it happen to ZT1...but then I had a working desktop computer.

Posted by: Nepenthe Jan. 2 2005, 04:38 AM
Not a biggie, but you can place paths one square outside the outer zoo walls.

Posted by: Spiderghost Jan. 4 2005, 03:23 PM
Wow have I been lucky so far. None of these problems have plagued me. So far the only glitch I've had is one of my guest deposited some garbage outside the zoo walls. I'm the king of garbage cans so sufficient cans were available. As usual two were near every bench, table, stand or facility. Play on!!!

Posted by: mo15 Jan. 5 2005, 09:58 AM
Well, my animals turn a darker color when they are dirty, and when they are groomed/cleaned they turn back to the normal color. But now when they are dirty they are groomed they stay dirty. I even went in and groomed this camel manually. He looks dirty, but all his needs were not even a 1/4 full of green. he was perfectly fine and got dirty then groomed and stayed that way.

Offline Rearing Gemsbok

• Pooper Scooper
Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2005, 07:05:18 AM »
I,ve had two that I can remember.One was the animal having dirty pelts when they were claen, and the other a rhino drinking through a trough the other side of the fence!

Offline adam1990

• Senior Zookeeper
    • Zoo Tycoon 101
Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2005, 05:29:09 AM »
I think I've noticed a bug, but am not sure. My zoo was fine, until it got big. When the zoo got big animals (Kangaroo, Gemsbok, Gazzele, zebra, moose, and more) were constantly escaping their exhibits. One animal did escape in a smaller zoo (Dromedary camel), but only once in this zoo. About every minute, a different animal was escaping. I ended up deleting the zoo because of this problem and that I was running out of money. Any suggestions? Also, this was after I downloaded the leopard fix I believe, but I don't think that is the problem.

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
Bugs in Zoo tycoon 2
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2005, 07:45:34 AM »
Are you sure you use proper zoo fencing to contain the animals?? An animal will escape it's enclosure when inadequet fencing is used.example fence not strong enough for the animal the exhibit or not high enough trees to close to the fence allowing animals that climb to get over the top.

Hope this helps