Author Topic: Waterhaven Zoo and Aquatic Center  (Read 19060 times)

Offline zoohio

• Speedy--Master of Water Effects!
  • Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
Waterhaven Zoo and Aquatic Center
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2006, 11:52:27 AM »
I love it! The color is wonderful!

Offline Budgielover101

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2006, 03:33:53 PM »
Wow! fantastic! I can't wait for more! I love the entrance!

Offline Nique

• Just Nique... nothin' fancy
  • Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2006, 02:30:56 PM »
"Nique! Nique! Come quick! You have got to see this!" Brenden, our head keeper,  was almost squealing like a little schoolgirl in his excitement. "Kodi and Helena were moved this morning to their new exhibit and they are so happy! You have got to come watch them for a while."

Sure enough, once we got close to the obervation area, all of the staff and some of their kids even, were all gathered round watching the bears get used to their new environment. Kodi (such a silly name for a bear - but someone had erroneously called him a Kodiak bear a long time ago and Kodi just stuck) anyway, Kodi what prancing around and standing tall calling out to everyone! It was amazing to see him standing so majestically when just the day before he had been moping around his cage. I think one of their favorite parts of their new home is the river that runs through it though. I caught Helena swimming back and forth and playing with the fish several times. They both are so much happier already. I can't wait to get everyone else moved!

Offline Budgielover101

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2006, 04:05:04 PM »
:surprise: I :wub: that river picture! its so pretty!!! and i love the story! Great work!

Offline Nique

• Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2006, 03:59:26 PM »
The next 24 hours saw a lot of changes, One by one we got more animals moved into their new exhibits. The next couple moved into their exhibits were Ozzie and Harriet, our pair of American Bison. They really seem to be enjoying their new home!

Next to move in was our pair of Jaguars: Ricky and Lucy. I actually got to be there when they were lowering Ricky down into the enclosure and it was an amazing sight to see him slowly emerge from the crate as if he were afraid only to have him look around and start running in joy. He has so much more room now and even a swimming hole which he and Lucy both love! Here is an overhead shot from the helicopter as it left on its way to go get the next round of our gorgeous animals!

Offline Budgielover101

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2006, 05:50:07 PM »
Wonderful story and wonderful pics! :wub:

Offline Nique

• Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2006, 02:29:13 PM »
The next week saw even more changes as the last three exhibits were made ready. The first to move into their new homes were Leo and Leontine - our African Lions. Such grace and power. Before moving them, Leo had tended to pace the fence of his old enclosure. He had even worn a groove next to the fenceline from his back and forth motions. Now both are happy and Leontine loves playing in the waterfall. And Leo loves running around, playing with the toys and even just sitting back and acting as "King of the Beasts."

Here is an overhead of their new exhibit.

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2006, 02:38:15 PM »
Oh I like the last picture of Leo the best. Great zoos/pics as always, Nique!

Offline dingydingo

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2006, 04:50:15 PM »
That is a wonderful zoo!!! GREAT job! Love every part about it!!

Offline ZAMAN

• Zookeeper
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2006, 05:01:00 PM »
I like your story

P.S.
I'm new :IloveZA: :IloveZA: :IloveZA: :IloveZA:

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2006, 05:03:21 PM »
Welcome to ZA ZAMAN. Please head to the [topic=507]Introductions[/topic] thread to say hello to everyone, and don't forget the [topic=1576]Cookies[/topic] that everyone's favorite resident granny makes for everyone!

Offline sheltiefan

• Beware of parrot
  • Senior Zookeeper
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2006, 05:54:42 PM »
Lovely pics and story Nique. I love how you named the lions Leo and Leontine.

Offline Budgielover101

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2006, 02:29:01 AM »
I love the pictures! those waterfall ones are really nice! Great story and pics! :wub: :wub:

Offline Nique

• Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2006, 07:58:08 PM »
:welcomean ZA Man, and thank you to everyone else!

Just west of the Lion exhibit is the new home of Robbie and Rene' - our pair of White Rhinos - proud parents to be! That's right. As soon as we moved them into their new home, the resident vet did a thorough exam of the two of them and we found out that Rene' is expecting her fist offspring. We can't wait to get to meet the new little one, and the new exhibit will make a wonderful home for them all!

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2006, 08:08:56 PM »
Your rhino's look QUITE happy in their home!! Can't wait to see their baby! :wub:

Offline Nique

• Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2006, 09:25:09 PM »
:hearye: This Just In...

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - The Philadelphia Zoo says it will close its elephant exhibit and transfer the four animals to another facility, Waterhaven, ending nearly a year of uncertainty about the elephants' future.

The zoo's three African elephants - 50-year-old Petal, 24-year-old Kallie, and 23-year-old Bette - will be sent to Waterhaven to enjoy a brand new habitat designed specifically for them. As well as forty-two-year-old Dulary, the lone Asian elephant.

The zoo dropped plans last year for a 22 million dollar expansion of its elephant exhibit because of rising costs and fundraising difficulties.

---------------

As you can see we have welcomed the first three elephants at Waterhaven and Dulary should be moved to his new home within the week. At this time, he is being held at our medical facility and treated for a mild skin infection.

Offline Rosinas Cat

• Feline Friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Cool Cat
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2006, 10:02:29 PM »
Nice pics, Nique! Is Petal really 50?? Wow, she doesn't look a day over 45!:happyroll

Offline Nique

• Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2006, 09:28:57 PM »
...6 months later...

Well, all of the animals have settled in nicely. Our breeding programs are really taking off and we are lucky enough to have had several visits from our friendly stork. If you ask the American Bisons, they may tell you he is a bit too friendly as they have had 6 children so far!

The big news is the grand opening of the Waterhaven Aquatics Center! :party5:
Would you like to join me for a tour?

Once you come in through the gates at Waterhaven, our Aquatics Center is immediately to your right. I think the engineers did a fabulous job on the design incorporating several marine items into the entrance of the building.

Once you enter, there are five full exhibits. They form a circle around the exhibit in the center - the Bottlenose Dolphins. The first to our left is a mixed exhibit of Goblin Sharks and White Sharks.

We have a pair of each, the Goblin sharks: Derek and Natalie and the White sharks: Lionel and Ursula.

In our second mixed exhibit, we have 3 species. We have Steven and Page, our Leatherback turtles (and their 3 babies - not named yet). Jack and Jill, our Scalloped Hammerheads, and their twins: Dee and Dum. And Fin and Brook, our Blue Marlin pair.

(stay tuned...exhibits 3, 4, and 5 will be posted tomorrow...)

Offline Rosinas Cat

• Feline Friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Cool Cat
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2006, 10:57:06 PM »
Nice pics Nique!:thumbsup: I'll look out for more pics. Ooh I am soooo looking forward to getting mm2! :bounce:

Offline Nique

• Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2006, 05:53:49 AM »
Thanks Rosina's Cat! I'll try and update a little later today - I have to admit, I do love MM2 - it's nice to be gettign some new and different style pictures!

Offline sheltiefan

• Beware of parrot
  • Senior Zookeeper
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2006, 10:29:15 AM »
Oh I love the aquatic center Nique it looks amazing. I must get MM2 this weekend or I'll go insane... well at least more insane than I already am lol.

Offline Budgielover101

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2006, 04:38:43 PM »
The aquatics centre is amazing! Geat job Nique I love all the pics! :wub:

Offline Nique

• Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2006, 05:59:28 PM »
Thanks everyone : :) : These pictures were so much fun getting! Ok everyone...I promised an update, so here it is...

Let's continue our tour shall we?

The 3rd exhibit at the Aquatics Center houses our pair of Orcas: Hunter and Belle.

Following along to the next tank, you'll find a pair of Manta Rays. Stevie Ray and Corkie - they are such graceful clowns! lol

Our last exhibit at the Center is the Bottlenose Dolphins. Another pair, named Eric and Ariel.

While the Center will certainly remain our "showcase," we are planning much more relaistic exhibits that will be outdoors. Those habitats are still in the design stage, so if you have any requests or preferences, please speak up!

Offline Budgielover101

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2006, 06:24:39 PM »
I feel like I really want to go in that aquatics centre lol I love it! its so well done! I can't wait to see what else you do! How about belugas or narwhals?

Offline eye_of_the_tiger

• Zookeeper
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2006, 06:47:45 PM »
:idea: sea lions or sea otters, at least one of them, please! i worship you:worthy: