Author Topic: Second Generation Zoo  (Read 5392 times)

owlcage

Second Generation Zoo
« on: January 21, 2005, 11:27:39 PM »
I am finding it impossible to finish this scenario even though I have completed all the requirements. I have second-. third-. and even fourth-generation animals in my zoo! I have had every kind of combination of breeding, including the hardest kind where, for example, Zebra Grandpa and Zebra Grandma mate a few times and have Zebra Mom and Dad, and then Zebra Mom and Dad mate and have Zebra Kids, etc. The animals just keep mating and the scenario never ends. I've tried starting a new scenario and the same thing happens.

It is EXTREMELY frustrating. I contacted Microsoft Tech Support, who have been very nice and helpful, and per their instructions I did a clean install of the game. I did not patch it this time. Unfortunately I was still unable to win in my saved games but I plan to start the scenario a third time and hopefully that will do it.

If not, I'm at a real loss, because I can't get to the Mysterious Panda and seriously, there's only so many times I can start a scenario over again, especially when I've already "won" it twice!

Anyone else had this problem? I assure you, it is not a question of satisfying the scenario requirements. The game shows "goal achieved" when my lemurs, zebras, and chimps each mate for the first time, but after that it's like I'm playing freeform. Grr!

TigerTa

Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 10:15:58 PM »
I might be thinking of the wrong scenario, but i beleive you have to place one of each speices up for adoption(while still having male/female) to complete it.

owlcage

Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 10:18:17 PM »
No, there is nothing in it about having to adopt them out.

Offline Nepenthe

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://
Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 07:30:54 AM »
Originally posted by owlcage@Jan 22 2005, 02:27 AM
Anyone else had this problem? I assure you, it is not a question of satisfying the scenario requirements. The game shows "goal achieved" when my lemurs, zebras, and chimps each mate for the first time, but after that it's like I'm playing freeform. Grr!
I had to restart this scenario a couple times, too.

The "goal acheived" when the animals mate for the first time is a partial goal, not completing the scenario.

The hard part seems to be that you need to produce a baby animal whose mother and father were both born in your zoo.  And it is really hard to keep track of who a baby's father is.   So you don't really know whether any of the babies born in your zoo met the requirements.

Remember that any donated animals you receive count the same as starting animals. That is, "not born in the zoo".

What I did (and won shortly after):
Whenever a baby animal is born, give it a distinctive name so you will remember it is one born in your zoo.
When those animals born in your zoo grow up, put them in a separate exhibit!  That way they can only mate with other animals born in your zoo, and the babies will be guaranteed second-generation, on both sides of the family.

owlcage

Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 05:09:25 PM »
Thanks, but as I said in the original post I have already won the scenario using those criteria. I have have the animals mate every which way. I have had up to fourth-generation animals. I name them "Grandma," "Mom," "Daughter," "Girl" etc. to keep track of them. I have adopted out members of earlier generations to make sure it is the younger generations mating. I have ABSOLUTELY won this scenario and yet it doesn't end.

My point about the "your animals have mated" screen is just to point out that the scenario seems to be "working" (i.e. keeping track of my goals) only up to the first generation, then after that it is as though I'm playing freeform. I have to assume there's something wrong in the game but a clean install has not helped. I even started a new scenario (for the THIRD) time and played it to the win condition first without, and then with the recent patch. Nothing. This has to be an error.

owlcage

Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 10:26:50 PM »
Well, the problem seems to have been releasing to the wild. Apparently that breaks the scenario. Don't do it.

It was also suggested on another board that every animal you breed has to have a second generation. So if you're letting all your animals breed, you'll have to wait a long time for them all to get second-generation animals. I don't know if this is true or not but the last two times I played I only let my lemurs breed, since they mature and breed the fastest, and it finally worked.

At least I learned enough about gameplay tricks during all this to hope for success with the Mysterious Panda! Sheesh.

Offline Aussie Koala

• Canasta Trendsetter
  • Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
    • http://www.aussiekoala.com
Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 11:18:41 PM »
Thanks for passing that on owlcage. I have not played that scenario yet- but looks like will need this advice when i do  :o

gooseman

Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 07:49:16 AM »
I had the same problem and probably for the same reason - I was releasing all the "older generation" animals to the wild, and the scenario wouldn't let me win.  Eventually I stopped that practice, and when the 4th or so generation of lemur was born the scenario let me win.

Offline Purring Tiger

• Marine Biologist
Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 03:13:27 PM »
That must have been my problem too.  I finally won it on the 4th or 5th generation lemurs. :lol:

Offline karlhall39

• Zookeeper
Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 09:27:49 AM »
I won it as soon as my lemurs had a babie i mean the original lemurs babie had a babie. <_<

Offline karlhall39

• Zookeeper
Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 09:51:58 AM »
I think all the starting animals need to have a babie to win or you might need to say breed the lemur babie again and habe all starting animals having babies :(

owlcage

Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2005, 11:27:39 PM »
I am finding it impossible to finish this scenario even though I have completed all the requirements. I have second-. third-. and even fourth-generation animals in my zoo! I have had every kind of combination of breeding, including the hardest kind where, for example, Zebra Grandpa and Zebra Grandma mate a few times and have Zebra Mom and Dad, and then Zebra Mom and Dad mate and have Zebra Kids, etc. The animals just keep mating and the scenario never ends. I've tried starting a new scenario and the same thing happens.

It is EXTREMELY frustrating. I contacted Microsoft Tech Support, who have been very nice and helpful, and per their instructions I did a clean install of the game. I did not patch it this time. Unfortunately I was still unable to win in my saved games but I plan to start the scenario a third time and hopefully that will do it.

If not, I'm at a real loss, because I can't get to the Mysterious Panda and seriously, there's only so many times I can start a scenario over again, especially when I've already "won" it twice!

TigerTa

Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2005, 10:15:58 PM »
I might be thinking of the wrong scenario, but i beleive you have to place one of each speices up for adoption(while still having male/female) to complete it.

owlcage

Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2005, 10:18:17 PM »
No, there is nothing in it about having to adopt them out.

Offline Nepenthe

• Pooper Scooper
Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2005, 07:30:54 AM »
Originally posted by owlcage@Jan 22 2005, 02:27 AM
I had to restart this scenario a couple times, too.

The "goal acheived" when the animals mate for the first time is a partial goal, not completing the scenario.

The hard part seems to be that you need to produce a baby animal whose mother and father were both born in your zoo.  And it is really hard to keep track of who a baby's father is.   So you don't really know whether any of the babies born in your zoo met the requirements.

Remember that any donated animals you receive count the same as starting animals. That is, "not born in the zoo".

What I did (and won shortly after):
Whenever a baby animal is born, give it a distinctive name so you will remember it is one born in your zoo.
When those animals born in your zoo grow up, put them in a separate exhibit!  That way they can only mate with other animals born in your zoo, and the babies will be guaranteed second-generation, on both sides of the family.

owlcage

Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2005, 05:09:25 PM »
Thanks, but as I said in the original post I have already won the scenario using those criteria. I have have the animals mate every which way. I have had up to fourth-generation animals. I name them "Grandma," "Mom," "Daughter," "Girl" etc. to keep track of them. I have adopted out members of earlier generations to make sure it is the younger generations mating. I have ABSOLUTELY won this scenario and yet it doesn't end.

My point about the "your animals have mated" screen is just to point out that the scenario seems to be "working" (i.e. keeping track of my goals) only up to the first generation, then after that it is as though I'm playing freeform. I have to assume there's something wrong in the game but a clean install has not helped. I even started a new scenario (for the THIRD) time and played it to the win condition first without, and then with the recent patch. Nothing. This has to be an error.

owlcage

Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2005, 10:26:50 PM »
Well, the problem seems to have been releasing to the wild. Apparently that breaks the scenario. Don't do it.

It was also suggested on another board that every animal you breed has to have a second generation. So if you're letting all your animals breed, you'll have to wait a long time for them all to get second-generation animals. I don't know if this is true or not but the last two times I played I only let my lemurs breed, since they mature and breed the fastest, and it finally worked.

At least I learned enough about gameplay tricks during all this to hope for success with the Mysterious Panda! Sheesh.

Offline Aussie Koala

• Canasta Trendsetter
  • Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
    • http://www.aussiekoala.com
Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2005, 11:18:41 PM »
Thanks for passing that on owlcage. I have not played that scenario yet- but looks like will need this advice when i do  :o

gooseman

Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2005, 07:49:16 AM »
I had the same problem and probably for the same reason - I was releasing all the "older generation" animals to the wild, and the scenario wouldn't let me win.  Eventually I stopped that practice, and when the 4th or so generation of lemur was born the scenario let me win.

Offline Purring Tiger

• Marine Biologist
Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2005, 03:13:27 PM »
That must have been my problem too.  I finally won it on the 4th or 5th generation lemurs. :lol:

Offline karlhall39

• Zookeeper
Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2005, 09:27:49 AM »
I won it as soon as my lemurs had a babie i mean the original lemurs babie had a babie. <_<

Offline karlhall39

• Zookeeper
Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2005, 09:51:58 AM »
I think all the starting animals need to have a babie to win or you might need to say breed the lemur babie again and habe all starting animals having babies :(

Offline wolfclan4515

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2005, 08:57:09 PM »
When ever I play this scenario my baby lemurs and chimps are always males.  Then when they send me the other lemur/chimp its always a male too.  I can not beat this scenario no matter how hard I try. :(   Do you have any suggestions?

Offline RedNotDead

• Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin
  • Affiliates
  • Game Warden
Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2005, 10:38:36 PM »
its just a case of keep trying i had about 3 male lemurs before i got a baby giirl so i moved them into a speerate enclosure so that they didnt bread with their 'mum waited till the 'girl' grew up put her in the enclosure with her brothers and finally done it (you only need one species of animal to bread and its usually the lemurs because they grow up quicker).  if all else fails you can always donwload my scenerio zoo for this .  Good Luck anyway. (i wish there was someway of speeding up time in the game though)

Offline dwarfgouramis

• Zookeeper
Second Generation Zoo
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2005, 04:36:40 AM »
:w00t I am having trouble with this one aswell, I was using the Zebras and that takes for ever!  but now I have the lemurs and chimps in and exibit.  I had to us the temperate foilage for them and they don't even care! I thought that was cool. ya but I still haven't finished if yet!