Author Topic: Steve Irwin "Crikey Quilt" Zoo  (Read 7826 times)

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
Steve Irwin "Crikey Quilt" Zoo
« on: September 06, 2006, 02:28:59 PM »
As per requested, I have started a 'quilt' zoo for those who wish to contribute to the Discovery Channel's Steve Irwin "Crikey Fund".

For those who don't know, a quilt zoo gets passed around from member to member until it's filled, with each person volunteering stating what animal (from which Expansion) they wish to do. Only one person per animal, please, although some (like beavers and flamingos) maybe be combined. As each person volunteers, we ask that they state how much they wish to contribute to the Discovery Crikey Fund. It can be as little as $1. It's not the amount that matters - it's the thought. And, like a charity fun-run, others can contribute on your behalf, too. (For example, saying, I will volunteer .10 for every zoo dollar taken in). This one, like the Hurricane Catrina Quilt zoo, is actually TO raise money for a project. This was started at members' request.

I have asked zoohio to take over the ZT1 section for me. If he declines (which I hope not) then we'll need an adult volunteer to handle the ZT1 zoo and be responsible for passing the zoo on to the next member.

AFTER everyone signs up, the zoo will be divided (as a quilt is) into approimately equal blocks, seperated by hedge "quilting". As you do your section, you remove the "quilting hedge" and pass the zoo onto the next person. Remember, you are responsible for the upkeep of the entire zoo while it is in your possesion. Because of learning from the Hurricane Catrina zoos few problems, you will be confined to just YOUR square, please. The zoo will include both ES and AA animals, so we will begin with NON ES/AA people first, then onto only ES people, and the AA people must wait till last.

When completed, the zoo will be put up for download. My thoughts are to use a large map, probably City or Grassland, so that you can put in the biome of your choice/need. If you use a user-made download, you MUST include that download (not the animal) with the zoo when it is passed on, so we all have the same animals at the same time. That way, you unzip the downloads first, before the zoo.

We do ask/expect zoo "updates" from time to time. For example, who had babies, how much money we made, how many admissions, etc. The ZOO WILL NOT BE OPENED so we don't have to tend to guests in the beginning. After it's complete, we will run it for a while.

I will reserve one square for myself, and it will be marked as such. The quilt "pattern" will be posted here, with names, and updated as volunteers are added. The first list is posted above.

Any questions before you start, post here.

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 03:21:58 PM »
Okay, here's the layout. Pick your exhibit and what number it will be. Remember, put smaller animals in smaller exhibits. Thanks.

AWD - Gray's monitor
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 01:03:54 PM by csleesburg »

Offline zoohio

• Speedy--Master of Water Effects!
  • Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 04:46:23 PM »
Excellent idea!
Count me in on this project please!
I will sponsor $10.00 for my exhibit and an additional 50 cents for each exhibit built by the other members. example: 30 (exhibits) x .50 (my additional contribution) = $15.00

I would like to build the Black Rhino Exhibit please!

Also, if someone finds the link to the Crikey Fund, could they post it here please!

Offline Sealio

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 05:58:57 PM »
Man this is such a great idea i think it will rock in the end!
Anyways please count me in this will be my first chance to show my stuff on ZA too and i'll get to help out with the Crikey Fund!
I am willing to donate $20.00(CA) to the fund.
I'll take the meerkat please and thank you!
And as zoohio said does anyone have the link to the funds page?

Offline Miami Gator398

• Pooper Scooper
  • This is Brutus. He thinks you look yummy!
    • My MySpace page
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 06:35:55 PM »
To quote Discovery Channel/Animal Planet:
"While we affectionately and unofficially have dubbed these financial contributions The Steve Irwin Crocodile Hunter Fund (or "The Crikey Fund"), all donations and contributions in the memory of Steve Irwin should be made to the Wildlife Warriors Fund (http://www.wildlifewarriors.org.au/) to easily and quickly benefit Steve's dream and to keep his projects moving forward as he would have wanted. All donations designated as Steve Irwin Tribute funds will go directly to saving animals in the wild. "
http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/crochunter/steve/fund.html

Offline Red-Panda-Freak

• Zookeeper
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 06:41:07 PM »
wow, i really wish i could play on my laptop.  Can I still donate?

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 08:14:24 PM »
Quote from: Red-Panda-Freak
wow, i really wish i could play on my laptop.  Can I still donate?

Sure you can! As I said before:
It can be as little as $1. It's not the amount that matters - it's the thought. And, like a charity fun-run, others can contribute on your behalf, too. (For example, saying, I will volunteer .10 for every zoo dollar taken in).
Just pick some exhibit you want to sponsor and let me know. :original:

Mine will be $15 initially, and .50 per exhibit afterward = $30 (including food court).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 01:38:00 PM by csleesburg »

Offline africanwilddog

• Senior Zookeeper
  • Mbwa Mwitu
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 07:11:18 AM »
Wow this is a great idea.

I donate $15.

And as for exhibit, I'll take the Gray's Monitor. (Yes I will add the DL file for the Gray's Monitor)

Oh BTW I have both ES and AA.

Offline Red-Panda-Freak

• Zookeeper
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 07:36:09 AM »
I'll donate $15 to sponsor a koala exhibit.

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 09:06:32 AM »
Alright y'all, the 2nd post here has the map layout. I have entered myself and zoohio on it already. AWD and sealio please pick which exhibit you want, and I'll add yours, too. The rest of you say by number, please. It's an almost totally flat Grassland map, freeform. If you're going to do an exhibit with the same biome as someone else (say giraffes) you might consider picking the exhibit next to zoohio's for example, so they could become a combined exhibit. Those are always popular.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 09:08:36 AM by csleesburg »

Offline Sealio

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 12:20:58 PM »
ill take numero 16 please and thank you

Offline Ironchef

• Senior Zookeeper
  • Super Hero is my Secret Identity
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 12:58:48 PM »
I would like to make an exhibit, and I want to use crocodiles (nile and the user alligator DL).  I will also fully sponser my exhibits funds.

You've got to say which number, please! and the amount
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 01:28:48 PM by csleesburg »

Offline Samberri

• Pooper Scooper
  • Sam
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 06:02:48 PM »
Can we still make an exhibit even if we can't donate?
If we can, I would like to do an Aardvark exhibit in number six.
The aardvark is from AA, and I have ES+AA. (and of course the origional.)

I'm not really positive how to unzip it or however you need to do it, though...

Offline Zebu

• Zookeeper
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 06:09:15 PM »
I'll try to donate $5 for Exhibit 10. I'll make an exhibit for....White Rhinoceros and Pygmy Hippos, if I can have two animals in 1 exhibit. If just 1, then I'll choose pygmies.

:IloveZA: This is :specool:

Offline SueLa

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 09:33:36 PM »
Count me in! I will donate $15 and my nephew (Animal Addict05) will do the square. We would love to make a Bongo exhibit, square 25 if it is still available!

Offline beagleboy21

• Zookeeper
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 09:54:48 PM »
ill take square 3, for a kangaroo. i have AA, and ES.  do we have to tell how much we donate.  and whats the cricky fund for?
[modnotice=csleesburg]Yes, you have to tell the donation amount, and the Crikey Fund is set up by the Discovery channel to support Steve Irwin's family. [/modnotice]
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 10:23:35 PM by csleesburg »

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 10:21:56 PM »
Quote from: Samberri
Can we still make an exhibit even if we can't donate?
If we can, I would like to do an Aardvark exhibit in number six.
The aardvark is from AA, and I have ES+AA. (and of course the origional.)

I'm not really positive how to unzip it or however you need to do it, though...

If you commit to an exhibit, you must either contribute or find a sponsor for your exhibt.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 10:26:06 PM by csleesburg »

Offline africanwilddog

• Senior Zookeeper
  • Mbwa Mwitu
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2006, 03:00:58 AM »
I'll take exhibit 7 CSL! for as i said earlier Gray's Monitor.

Offline beagleboy21

• Zookeeper
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006, 03:55:15 PM »
ok, ill donate 5 dollars.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 11:51:30 PM by beagleboy21 »

Offline BFScottMacmillan

• Blue Fang Community Representative
  • Zoo Admin V.I.P
  • Pooper Scooper
    • http://
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2006, 08:54:57 AM »
Hi all,

Blue Fang has asked me to announce that we are going to match the total donation raised by the Crikey Quilt, up to $1000.  We felt that what you are all doing is fantastic, and we wanted to support it.

Take care, and keep on zooin',

Scott

Offline Bielski

• The Guardian
  • Game Warden
  • Ooooooh Noooooo!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2006, 12:26:26 PM »
:specool: That is a super gesture Blue Fang is making here :respect:

Offline Artemis

• Zookeeper
    • http://
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2006, 12:22:36 PM »
I am thrilled that another zoo quilt has been started and I would love to participate (and hope it isn't too late...)! So! I would like to claim 19, if you please, to be filled with Giant Pandas. I'll donate $10 for my exhibit and $5 more when the whole zoo is completed.

I have ES, AA, and MM2, so I guess I'll be among the final builders.

(And wow, thank you Blue Fang. O_o)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 12:23:31 PM by Artemis »

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2006, 12:47:38 PM »
With BF volunteering to give money, plus ours, I think we should start this up. Are there no others who want to volunteer? My surprise was going to be the rays, but now that MM is out, I'll tell it. I would love to have a salty in there, but so far we don't have one. (It's supposed to be part of the Design Team's Wetland Pack, though).

Could we not get more people to volunteer so we could get this thing off the ground? Artemis, I'll put you in for #19.

Artemis had a good idea. Maybe we could make this zoo smaller than Large, since we have people who are willing to do it? What do y'all think of that?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 01:05:06 PM by csleesburg »

Offline beagleboy21

• Zookeeper
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 08:42:00 PM »
sure.

Offline numairhawk

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 08:49:32 PM »
I will be willing to do this, I just have to make sure I can download everything all right.  (I have all the expantions)  Anyone with info on that and the logistics of the donation would be appreciated.  

If all goes well I would Like lot #20 for the American Bison, I would be willing to donate $20.