Author Topic: ZT2 on Windows Vista  (Read 2875 times)

Offline Zoo Titan

• Zookeeper
  • The Valiant Knight, ready to defend at all costs
ZT2 on Windows Vista
« on: February 20, 2007, 10:38:46 AM »
I've searched, but there doesn't seem to be a topic that disscusses this.

I was wondering, with it's new DirectX10 and all the other doo-hickeys that come with Windows Vista, how does ZT2 and others play? Compared with a Windows XP. Is it better or worse or the same? :sthanks:

Offline dannybob

• Zookeeper
  • okapis and gemsbok rule
Re: ZT2 on Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 10:41:53 AM »
I think it plays better

Offline Zoo Titan

• Zookeeper
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 10:51:59 AM »
In what ways does it play better?

Offline Peacenote

• Peaceful Music Soothes the Savage Soul
  • Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 10:58:04 AM »
Well I don't know too much about it yet, but it's going to depend more on your computer than anything else, I think.  Vista is an even bigger resource hog than XP, so if you are trying to upgrade your old machine to Vista...games will probably play worse because Vista is going to be taking up more of the resources that were allocated to games when you had XP on your computer.  If you buy a new machine that has better specs that comes with Vista pre-installed, you might get the same performance, or even better if they've made improvements.  But no matter what any articles say, we probably really won't know until some of us get Vista and try it.....and trust me, that won't be me anytime soon!!

Offline Zoo Titan

• Zookeeper
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 11:29:21 AM »
Ok, I just thought that with the new DirectX 10 it might play better.

Nobody here has a Vista? :blink:

Offline Budgielover101

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 10:19:49 PM »
I have Vista on another computer with ZT2 and all expansionss, it plays fine, about the same as when it was running on XP, I don't go near that computer much lol but my sisters play ZT2 on it all the time and have no problems.

Offline Zoo Titan

• Zookeeper
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 06:39:52 AM »
Do the Zoos load faster? On my XP they take forever to load. :throw:

Edit by ShenTirag: Removed excess smilies as they were unnecessary and taking ages to load!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 07:16:18 AM by ShenTirag »

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 07:06:19 AM »
The loading isn't going to be affected by the operating system or DirectX 10. That is caused to low amounts of RAM, which is your physical memory, and could also be caused by a graphics card and ITS low video RAM.

Let's say that you have XP and it takes 20% of 1gb to run. Vista is MORE of a resource hog so lets say it takes 30% of 1gb of RAM to run. In this scenario, it will take your zoos LONGER to load because the operating system is sucking more of your power to load away.

And please don't use so many emotes, they give me a headache :laugh2:

Offline Zoo Titan

• Zookeeper
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 07:13:53 AM »
So pretty much ZT2 is going to be the same or worse, except for a couple of graphics boosts from DX10?

Ok I won't...often :badgnome:

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
  • made in a factory and from a special kind of metal
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 07:17:22 AM »
No, DX10 will not increase the graphics of ZT2 because it was created with DX9 in mind.  You can't increase the graphics of a game retrospectively.

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 07:21:11 AM »
Well, and DX10 is basically a graphics boost, it doesn't really help with the loading at all. Also, I think there is only one graphics card right now by nVidia that actually supports it. Furthermore, you CAN run ZT2 better, by purchasing more RAM, which is a LOT cheaper than VIsta.

Offline Zoo Titan

• Zookeeper
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 07:54:30 AM »
Okay, I figured that with a better graphics card, it would load the graphics faster. What about that feature that saves commonly used files and file paths in a special folder for faster access. If Zt2 were used a lot that wouldn't that increase the loading speed?

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 08:00:09 AM »
Why don't you understand that the MAJOR factor behind ALL loading times is the amount of RAM? :P  No OS upgrade, graphics card upgrade (only affects detail levels, not loading times) or DX10 will increase loading times substantially than a RAM upgrade will.

Offline sheltiefan

• Beware of parrot
  • Senior Zookeeper
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 08:19:50 AM »
Yes if it's faster loading time you are after than a graphics card won't help much at all. They do speed up the game when you are actually playing, but here still RAM will help you more. And cost wise RAM is cheaper than a decent graphics card anyways lol.

Offline Zoo Titan

• Zookeeper
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 09:29:04 AM »
Okay, okay...sheesh :unsure: Where do I find RAM? Maybe some memory as well cause I'm running out of space ever since I installed that latest MS flight sim that takes up 15 gigs :crash: how is memory priced?

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 09:33:25 AM »
RAM is memory ;)  You can find it at computer shops generally :P  For ZT2 on XP, I'd recommend 1GB of memory or more if you want to run with full graphics and large zoos (still lags heavily for me sometimes though), and on Vista I'd have to guess you need about 2GB if not more because of how resource-hungry Vista is.

As for hard drive space, the only way you can increase that is to buy a new hard drive ;)  You can either get an internal one or an external one that connects to the computer via USB.

Offline Peacenote

• Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 10:27:17 AM »

Okay, I figured that with a better graphics card, it would load the graphics faster. What about that feature that saves commonly used files and file paths in a special folder for faster access. If Zt2 were used a lot that wouldn't that increase the loading speed?

Besides, if you defragment your hard drive, this also kind of does what you are talking about, as it moves commonly used files to better access locations.

Also, Zoo Titan, when you are saying MS Flight takes up 15 gigs you are talking about hard drive space, not RAM.  To add more space you need a new drive, as suggested above, as you can't ADD space to your current drive.

Offline Zoo Titan

• Zookeeper
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 06:57:36 AM »
Ok then :sthanks: but how are external drives priced? What about internal drives?

Which one is generally better? Are you getting tired of my questions? :P

P.S. This is for a laptop

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 07:37:23 AM »
For a laptop, I would go external harddrive. Go to newegg.com to price them as you can get things fairly cheaply there.

I personally like internal harddrives better in most cases but also love my 40gb external that goes with me everywhere and contains basically all of my projects for school, etc, on it. I suggest external for a laptop though because its not easy to install internals and you won't be able to have both your old one and a new one.

Really though, your main problem is RAM, not harddrive space. I would read up on your computer model and see what your options are.

Offline Zoo Titan

• Zookeeper
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 08:08:30 AM »
OK, thank you for all of your help. I don't think that I need any more help but please don't close this thread. Other people can ask questions about Vista as well, and I might need more help later. :sthanks: again!!

In response to post below: Ok, I knew that, sorry. :unsure:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 08:33:06 AM by Zoo Titan »

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 08:16:21 AM »
Us Mods and Admins are fully capable of knowing whether or not to close a thread, but thank you for your input.

Offline OracleWolfGirl

• Pooper Scooper
Would anyone know if....
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2007, 03:56:54 PM »
hi every1 again *is a n00b* i was wondering,just to be sure,if Zoo Tycoon 2 would run on a Windows Vista? i curently have an XP but im getting another computer with Vista. I just wanted to know if anyone knows if it could run on it without having to like,buy a diffrent version. if noone knows,then mods please close this but if people do know telling me would be highly appreciated  :D

Offline Peacenote

• Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
Re: Would anyone know if....
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2007, 04:58:53 PM »
Yep!  It definitely will...as long as your computer has the right specs.  Normally a new computer would, but sometimes new machines are lacking in Video RAM if you're not careful to check.  Here's an article that explains in depth about the minimum specifications for ZT2 in Windows XP and Windows Vista:

Specifications

EDIT:  Merged this topic with the current Windows Vista topic.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 05:02:44 PM by Peacenote »

Offline OracleWolfGirl

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007, 05:51:07 PM »
thanks much Peacenote! now i wont have to worry about going to 2 diffrent computers to do things XP

Offline Peacenote

• Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2007, 08:30:28 PM »
You're welcome!  Glad I could help.   :D