Author Topic: Help with Mac version  (Read 1591 times)

Offline fegli

• Pooper Scooper
Help with Mac version
« on: February 25, 2007, 04:33:33 PM »
I just bought the game, and it looks super enjoyable. Problem is, on my MacBook Pro it runs WAY too fast. (I guess I should be happy - I've never had a program run too fast on a Mac before.) Anyway, has anyone dealt with this problem as well yet? Or does anyone have a link to a solution? It's driving me nuts. By the time I decorate an exhibit my animals are already halfway through their lifespan. :crying:

Thanks in advance.

Offline Peacenote

• Peaceful Music Soothes the Savage Soul
  • Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
Re: Help with Mac version
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 04:50:34 PM »
That's kind of odd!  Is the actual game running fast as well?  For example, do the animals and guests run abnormally fast?  Look at a turtle.  They are supposed to crawl really slowly.

If the answer is no, what I would suggest is when you're doing some heavy duty designing, either pause the game or design the exhibit/zoo before getting the animals.  Most likely the game is running at normal speed but you just like to take your time designing.  (I do, too!)

If the answer is yes, I'm not sure WHY that would be the case.  However I would suggest applying the available patches if you haven't already.  If you are running a version pre-1.1, it looks like the patch for 1.1 updates the game to run in Universal Binary.  That could be your problem, if the software is running through Rosetta (although normally that would cause programs to be SLOWER, not faster!   :hmmm:

Here is a good place to download the patches: Versiontracker
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 04:53:47 PM by Peacenote »

Offline seaworldgurl1

• Zookeeper
  • dive in
    • Pilialoha
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 04:51:14 PM »
I dont have the MAC version, but it sounds like it's the game, not the computer. My animals grow up fast too. The game is probably programmed to do that. Maybe try building your exhibits before you put your animals in? Thats what I would do.

♥♥SeAwOrLdGuRl1♥♥

Offline fegli

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 05:19:39 PM »
That's kind of odd!  Is the actual game running fast as well?  For example, do the animals and guests run abnormally fast?  Look at a turtle.  They are supposed to crawl really slowly.

If the answer is no, what I would suggest is when you're doing some heavy duty designing, either pause the game or design the exhibit/zoo before getting the animals.  Most likely the game is running at normal speed but you just like to take your time designing.  (I do, too!)

If the answer is yes, I'm not sure WHY that would be the case.  However I would suggest applying the available patches if you haven't already.  If you are running a version pre-1.1, it looks like the patch for 1.1 updates the game to run in Universal Binary.  That could be your problem, if the software is running through Rosetta (although normally that would cause programs to be SLOWER, not faster!   :hmmm:

Here is a good place to download the patches: Versiontracker

It says it's already version 1.1 on my Info window. Yeah, the people are running around like mad. Someone else said they had the same problem, but didn't supply a solution. I guess I should probably try it and see what happens.

Thanks for the help!  :)

Offline Peacenote

• Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 05:25:23 PM »
Well I wouldn't install the patch if you have a newer version.  I'm not sure what that would do.

First I would probably try reinstalling.  You could also try forcing the game to boot through Rosetta mode, which should slow it down.  I don't have a Mac in front of me to tell you exactly how now, but when if you're not sure I can try to get the instructions for it later.

Offline fegli

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 08:32:38 PM »
What's Rosetta mode? Sometimes I feel unbelievably ignorant considering how amazing my computer is. I feel like I should know more about it.

But, again, thanks for the ongoing help. You're fantastic!

Offline fegli

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 10:20:27 PM »
Well I wouldn't install the patch if you have a newer version.  I'm not sure what that would do.

First I would probably try reinstalling.  You could also try forcing the game to boot through Rosetta mode, which should slow it down.  I don't have a Mac in front of me to tell you exactly how now, but when if you're not sure I can try to get the instructions for it later.

Never mind my earlier post. I figured out how to use Rosetta mode, and it REALLY helped. It now runs at a completely normal rate. Thank you so much! I never would have figured that out in a million years. E-hugs!!!

:wub:

Offline Peacenote

• Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 07:42:54 AM »
Oh you're welcome!  I'm so glad it worked!!   :D

Looks like MacSoft needs to work on their Intel patch!   :happy2:

Offline fegli

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 09:54:56 AM »
Merrr. I think Macsoft is pushing crappy games to make people want to buy PCs again. Problem is, once you've had Mac, you can't go back.  ;)

Srsly thanks, though. I spent like an hour last night wandering around my zebra paddock taking pictures of them and brushing them.