Author Topic: Stupid computer wrecks ZT2...AGAIN.  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Ouch

• Zookeeper
Stupid computer wrecks ZT2...AGAIN.
« on: April 06, 2007, 07:56:10 AM »
My computer apparently delights in wrecking my ZT2 game. It can, and will, let me play it, but it keeps wrecking it continuously for me. This time, when I tried to play the Marine Diversity scenario, it crashed as it was loading, and now I can't even play it due to a "corrupt file".

I've uninstalled it to try again. What on earth is the problem with the computer?

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Re: Stupid computer wrecks ZT2...AGAIN.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 08:02:02 AM »
It sounds like you need to perform some system maintenances, like disk defrag, etc. Perhaps use the Shut down procedure instead of just pushing the power button, or shut down your computer every night instead of leaving it on all the time. I would do a check of your harddrive, you can find directions for Windows XP here.

Also, if you have been having problems like this, especially with other parts of the computer, you may need to simply reformat your harddrive so that it can get a nice spring cleaning. I know that I personally do mine about once a year just because sometimes parts get corrupted and there really aren't many more cures for them.

Offline Ouch

• Zookeeper
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 08:06:51 AM »

It sounds like you need to perform some system maintenances, like disk defrag, etc. Perhaps use the Shut down procedure instead of just pushing the power button, or shut down your computer every night instead of leaving it on all the time. I would do a check of your harddrive, you can find directions for Windows XP here.

Also, if you have been having problems like this, especially with other parts of the computer, you may need to simply reformat your harddrive so that it can get a nice spring cleaning. I know that I personally do mine about once a year just because sometimes parts get corrupted and there really aren't many more cures for them.

It does have the habit of restarting itself (and it's not fussy about what I'm doing when it does this) and blaming it on a 'serious error' (of course, it never tells you what the 'error' is). But I do shut it down properly every night.

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 08:17:19 AM »
If its restarting itself there is two things it could be: 1) your fan is going out and/or your heat sink isn't working properly, and your processor is shutting down the computer to save itself from heat or 2) your RAM has gone bad. I actually just had the same problem myself and ended up having to replace the memory sticks because it would just randomly restart (could be 5 minutes could be 5 days it was totally random) and that in turn made it so a lot of things would just suddenly corrupt.

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
  • made in a factory and from a special kind of metal
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 09:52:34 AM »
You also need to scan your hard drive disks for errors and do a spyware and virus check if your computer is having serious errors.

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 11:54:20 AM »
Also, as Jill said, your pc may need just a general "spring cleaning". If there's any questions about how to do that, phone MS Support and they'll walk you through it.