Author Topic: Naming Your Animals?  (Read 16624 times)

Offline Melt0s

• Zookeeper
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/Melt0s/
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2006, 12:11:15 PM »
Quote from: penguinbomber14
I never name my animals because I forget who's who and then when it says 'whoever needs more space' I have no idea what animal it is.

I see your point, and im not argueing that your wrong. But you could easily click the message box at the top and it will take you right to that animal/staff etc. Or pause game if alot is happening. I tend not to name my animals anymore, More so when i was new to ZT, as its a option, so why not. My best friend does it, shes new to Zoo Tycoon, All to the thanks of me :)

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Zookeeper
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2006, 10:58:37 AM »
Well, I'm another one that always names the animals in my Zoos! (ZT1, as I do not play ZT2)

I do it for several reasons:
1- "Real" Zoos don't call there animals "Zebra 1"
2- The default names are soooo impersonal
3- I find it makes playing (for me) alot more fun!

Personally, I have never found it hard to tell who's who as the "secret" lies in developing your own "code names" for the various animals (pretty easy to do, IMO) in your Zoos. (Kong & Koko are my Lowland Gorillas, Black Bart & Black Bertha are my Black Bears, Paul & Pauline are Polar Bears, Zack & Zelda are Zebras, Snarl & Snarlet are Snow Leopoards....etc, etc...) They may not "make sense" to anyone else, but "anyone else" isn't playing my Zoos!: :P :

As to the "early death" thing (in ZT1), this is easy to deal with (if you want to). Penguinto (?) has an Animal Imortality Hack for those uncomfortable with opening AI files, while the more adventerous players (like me) can easy change the cDeathChance line to equell 0.....*poof* no more constantly-dropping-off animals! (I have never understood why the "default" life spans were set soooo sort in the first place! Most real Zoo animals live to a ripe old age! They don't just automatically kick the bucket at age 3!)

Just wanted to hop on the old bandwagon and toss in my 2 cents!

-ZW

Offline johnelwayfan

• Pooper Scooper
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2006, 11:09:33 AM »
Naming your animals is always good. It's really fun to think them up.
johnelwayfan

Offline flickerfoot714

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2006, 06:50:13 PM »
I'm weird I guess, I name almost all of my animals... wait. All my second-generation animals, and third, ect. Also, I name any first-gen animals that have unique variant skins.
Some examples...

Eren and Inami: a couple of female brown girraffes (sp?)
Zenith Rising: a male black bengal tiger
Adaia and Mrenen: a pair of Norwegian Fjord ponies, the only two in the herd of twenty that had the regular skin.
Barkstripe: a male scimitar-horned oryx who had much more brown in his coat than most s. horned oryx do.

Then, of course, there are the really random names I come up with when I can't think of anything...
Such as Daemon, Daelira, Duran and Damas for a bunch of second-generation Dama gazelles.

Occasionally I'll even name my critters after video game characters/movies stars, ect. I had a male fantasy wolf named Yoda, as well as a secratary bird named Kerrigan and a male fennec fox named Baal. (Names from Star Wars, StarCraft and Diablo II respectively)

Offline FelisConcolor

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://www.myspace.com/high_of_75
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2006, 10:42:18 PM »
I usually name my animals, but if my zoo gets too big in sandbox mode; I can't remember what kind of animal they are sometimes...

Offline legomannate

• Raptor Pack
  • Zookeeper
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2006, 03:34:50 AM »
I usually don't name them when I first start out ,but later I will add names when I'm bored.

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2006, 03:41:12 AM »
Reminder that this is a ZT1 Thread :happy:

What's funny is that I almost always named my animals in ZT1, utilizing generally the first letter of the type of animal to generate names. Sometimes you have to start getting creative if you have prolific breeders. For me, Lions were - I never knew how many names I could create starting with "L" haha.

In ZT2 I haven't really named a lot of animals yet, and I'm not quite sure why. I have a few times for special occassions, or if I'm looking out for a specific animal for some reason, but other than that, nope.

Offline Gaspode

• Copa Cabana
  • Pooper Scooper
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2006, 10:31:36 AM »
I once attempted to name every animal born in my zoo. I had decided to give every newborn a name that started with the same letter depending on the year they were born. So year one births started with A and so forth.

Which was fine until about year four when I ran out of names starting with D for all my African warthogs... :loony:

Offline Miami Gator398

• Pooper Scooper
  • This is Brutus. He thinks you look yummy!
    • My MySpace page
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2006, 12:57:10 PM »
I usualy only name animals that i intend on keeping, especialy with animals that have lots of offspring like lions.

Offline Jakari

• Pooper Scooper
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2006, 07:03:30 AM »
I used to name every single one of my animals with alliterative names, like probably everyone else. Now, I kind of stopped naming them. But, I keep getting confused at which animal is which number, and which number is sick, hungry, etc. so I'm starting (very slowly) to name them all again.

Offline ddsauros

• Pooper Scooper
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2006, 08:24:46 PM »
I always give my Loch Ness Monsters a really original name like: NESSIE!:rolleyes: : :P :

Offline germanwolf

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
  • Captian Jack is back
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2006, 08:33:18 PM »
I always name them as well. I have a whole list of names I like to use. I like the names Gianluca, Garwein, and Minerva.

Also, here are the African names for some animals. I lke to use them too. They really seem to "fit". I really like the African name for elephant. :original:

RHINO- Kifaro
CHEETAH- Duma
ZEBRA- Punda Milia
ELEPHANT- Tembo

Offline jupiterinleo

• Pooper Scooper
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2006, 02:54:28 PM »
I ALWAYS name my animals!
And I get all attached to some of them, too. XD

To make the game more interesting, I make little monarchys with the animals, and see how long the bloodline can go without it dying out. Like my first monarchy: lions with Egyptian names. I would put a single male in an exhibit (so I know who the father of any cubs are) with a bunch of females, and would mix him up with other exhibits and breed him as much as possible, if I like him.
I also got around to recording the family tree of those lions, to keep track of who is who. Before I deleted that zoo, I had 16 years worth of lions, and three whole pages of the family tree! :P

Offline HAL9000

• Zookeeper
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2006, 03:01:01 PM »
I have a couple names I always use,
Lion Male: Monstro
Lion Female:  Quenn (I was trying to spell queen but I mispelled it and I have used it ever since.)
I usually name my peafowl after Mario characters like Peach, Bowser, etc.
Tiger Female: Sarabii
Giant Pandas:  Some Chinese sounding name like Han-Cho or something like that...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 06:20:47 PM by HAL9000 »

Offline Packraptor

• Zookeeper
  • Don't make me go Jurassic on your butt!
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2006, 03:07:29 PM »
Like HAL9000, I use the same names alot, too. I always name my Komodo Dragons Nezbit (male) and Jessie (female, after my old bearded dragon). I also name my Secretary Birds Bolt (male) and Feather (female). The lynxes are Amie (female) and Robert (male). The lynxes got their names because I was watching "Everybody Loves Raymond" at that very moment. XD

Offline Uzmutt

• Pooper Scooper
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2006, 07:47:45 PM »
I always name the first male and female I buy, and their first baby. After that it just gets to confusing.

Offline nightowl52

• Pooper Scooper
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2006, 02:38:45 PM »
I name my staff: so that I can keep track of which keeper belongs to which exhibit: silly stuff like Leo takes care of the Lions, etc. but I don't name the animals unless it's a specialty thing like a show Orca named Shamu.

And I don't really think this is a "lazy" response, due to the fact that some of the animals reproduce so fast (lions).

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2006, 02:42:23 PM »
Yeah, that's kinda what I do Nightowl. Some animals you'd spend forever just trying to keep track of naming them if you tried!

Offline SageofWater

• Raptor Pack
  • Zookeeper
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2006, 03:17:03 PM »
I get all of my names from a phone book :laughing: Its funny cause sometimes i name them some of the craziest names.

Offline pokefan

• Pooper Scooper
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2006, 03:48:28 PM »
um in zt1 i dont usaly name my animals but sometimes in other games i can think of rreeeaaalllyyy crazy and/or weird names like: sonora ,oblivion,frutey(lol), and some other stuff too :blink: : :) :

Offline yinyangwolf

• Zookeeper
  • Why do I have the sudden urge to drive a DeLorian?
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2006, 06:16:28 AM »
I name my ZT2 animals, but not ZT1. All the animals  breed like crazy.But, back on topic. I usually I give my wolves fancy names, like Talia, Kiche(from White Fang), Etoil if its a black one, Luna if its a white one, Milo(after my cat), Ezmerelda, Sequoia, Mianno or Moon Demon. I'm too lazy to give my camels good names. I once named a camle Dro.:laughing: . Most of my animals are named after movie animals or book characters. After a while it gets sorta hard to name fenneces after Egyptian gods(Anubis,Seth, etc.). I try to name all my carnatorurs with a C, but that also gets hard after a while. Most of the time I give my animals aliteration names (Pete if it's a peafowl, Jill if it's a jaguar,etc.) I do name my guests if I'm mad at them or bored. One time I had this really angry guy named Anibal Ting, and I re-named him Canibal Thing! Ha! I named a kid Bart Simpson just for the heck off it! I named all my geusts after movie stars or cartoon characters once. I was bored and it was a small zoo. I also named a guy Bud Ugly!(Sorry about that one, Mods).:laughing: :laughing:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 05:01:50 AM by yinyangwolf »

Offline Birdman

• Zookeeper
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2006, 12:33:42 PM »
I name all my animals because i think its more realistic.

Offline Jessyb

• Pooper Scooper
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2006, 03:07:04 PM »
I never name mine, Im bad at coming up with names so i just leave them Zebra 1, etc lol

Offline ZAMAN

• Zookeeper
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2006, 03:11:16 PM »
Jessyb I think your right it's hard to come up with names.

Offline Gourami Keeper

• Pooper Scooper
Naming Your Animals?
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2006, 04:27:45 PM »
Quote from: ZAMAN;153570
Jessyb I think your right it's hard to come up with names.

Especially when they keep breeding and giving birth(like the lions) and you cant think of any names for them...