Zoo Tycoon > General Discussion

A few questions

<< < (2/2)

the_sagebrush_kid:

--- Quote from: Jay on March 14, 2009, 07:32:01 PM ---It is not the music file itself, since ZT uses a standard type of ".wav" file for each of its music and sounds. But the program does not have a way for a player to specify a ".wav" file. Instead, it has to be added into the configuration of something. I agree that the ingame sounds can get monotonous after a while. That is why some of us that configure buildings will often add different sounds and music snippets to buildings, and why some animal designers will add new sounds to their animals.

--- End quote ---

So if I may ask, and I hate to but, is this whole process of adding a wav file easy? Can it be done to anything? Is it something that I can easily alter or is this something that a creator like you guys have to piece together?

Jay:
If you understand unzipping and zipping, then it is not difficult just to add or change a continually playing ".wav" file for an existing user made scenery. I believe there is a guide at Phoenix. Making a ".wav" file more efficient is trickier. I use the free and open source program, audacity. Currently, there is not a guide for doing this, although I intend to create one at some point. Adding or changing a ".wav" file for a user made building is a little more difficult because there is some timing to consider with how long the guests are in the building. Adding or changing a ".wav" file for a user made animal is even more difficult since it has to match animal behaviors, unless it is one just for when an animal is picked up or put down. Adding or changing a ".wav" file for something that comes with ZT can sometimes be a little more difficult because the ZT files were often changed in the expansion packs and, therefore, one has to make sure they are starting with the correct one.

the_sagebrush_kid:

--- Quote from: Jay on March 15, 2009, 06:28:28 PM ---If you understand unzipping and zipping, then it is not difficult just to add or change a continually playing ".wav" file for an existing user made scenery. I believe there is a guide at Phoenix. Making a ".wav" file more efficient is trickier. I use the free and open source program, audacity. Currently, there is not a guide for doing this, although I intend to create one at some point. Adding or changing a ".wav" file for a user made building is a little more difficult because there is some timing to consider with how long the guests are in the building. Adding or changing a ".wav" file for a user made animal is even more difficult since it has to match animal behaviors, unless it is one just for when an animal is picked up or put down. Adding or changing a ".wav" file for something that comes with ZT can sometimes be a little more difficult because the ZT files were often changed in the expansion packs and, therefore, one has to make sure they are starting with the correct one.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the info Jay. Honestly if I were to add any music at all it would be just to like one object just to let the zoo have that added feeling of ambiance. Still sounds a bit tricky from what you say and what I have read. But I need to get my computer back first from being repaired. Hopefully this will happen on my Bday so I can have fun adding the new animals and objects. Thanks again for the info. I will keep the boards posted as to what happens with the music stuff when the time comes.

Jess

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version