Author Topic: Graphic's problems  (Read 1686 times)

Offline MB.x

• Pooper Scooper
Graphic's problems
« on: April 18, 2009, 11:45:16 PM »
Hi everyone!
I was wondering if you could give me some help.

I recently installed Zoo tycoon 2 back onto my laptop, as well as African adventure & Endangered Species. They installed fine with no problems.
However, when I go to play the game, and say, go on Freeform Mode, the graphics are incredibly jumpy and I get 'flashes of colour' or 'blocks' that go across the screen making it impossible to play the game!  :bang

I've made sure all the graphics in the options menu are set to low..

Can anyone help me??!  :ty

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Tycoon ZT1 Downloads
Re: Graphic's problems
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 07:41:36 AM »
When I bought my new laptop I had enquired about graphics for gaming. The salesman told me when using a laptop for gaming you should be sure you have a dedicated graphics card not graphics built into the motherboard.

Could be that you have onboard graphics and while it may be minimum spec for ZT it just can't give what is needed for gaming. You might have to go and have a dedicated video card added to your laptop and have the onboard graphics disabled. If you do that try to get one with at least 512MB of ram built into the card so it can handle ZT. The more Ram on your video card and in your laptop for system ram will also help to get rid of that choppy play and the blockyness you are now experiencing.

The Warden - Avoid Warnings and Mod Preview - Please read the RULES
Member - Cabana Girls, Honorium Emeritus-Zoolanders

Offline MB.x

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 11:22:15 AM »
Thank you! Can you suggest a suitable card?

My laptop is an Acer, with Vista. It has a little sticker on it saying that it has a Nvidia Geforce Go 7300 128mb card.

Is that the problem do you think? x

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Tycoon ZT1 Downloads
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 06:31:25 AM »
That means you have a dedicated video card so that's a good start. Check to see how much system ram you have. Vista alone is a ram hog and will use most of your system ram if your ram is around 2GB upgrading/adding more system ram may help you out. I would suggest you check with where you bought it and see if it can be upgraded to 3 or 4GB of system ram.

If you're going to try to upgrade the video then Nvidia is the way to go they are the best on the market and I don't know much about the ones for laptops but it's what I have in my desktop and ZT 2 runs great and it's only a NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 but I have 4GB of system ram so I think that helps a lot.

The Warden - Avoid Warnings and Mod Preview - Please read the RULES
Member - Cabana Girls, Honorium Emeritus-Zoolanders

Offline MB.x

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 11:05:26 AM »
Thanks for your help, I will get my dad to have a look as I am not the best when it all gets techincal!!

I've just uninstalled it all, and then re installed Zoo tycoon 2 alone and it was fine and worked perfectly.

I then installed the Endangered Species Expansion pack and it starts flickering  :wacko

So.. I think it must be to do with the ram like you said  :ty