Author Topic: Hurricane Relief Quilt  (Read 42970 times)

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #250 on: April 11, 2006, 05:30:35 AM »
What I don't understand is this: When I got the map it was in freeform and therefore cash was unlimited. I don't see why it would change when I send it to someone. It's all very confusing...

Offline zoohio

• Speedy--Master of Water Effects!
  • Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #251 on: April 11, 2006, 06:16:44 AM »
Ok folks, here is the scoop!

After reinstalling ZT2 on my pc, I opened the map to see what the problem was....there were many issues...
1) Animal happiness was in the red!!!!
2) Guest happiness was in the red!!!!

Donations were not coming in, guests were leaving unhappy, ring-tailed lemurs were throwing themselves into the water, etc.......!!!!!
The reason there were no adoptions allowed was simple. The Animal Organizations warning showed we were unable to adopt any animals. The zoo was in such deplorable conditions that it appeared that purchases were not possible; and I did not know this was possible!?!? I knew that animals could not be adopted, but to make even the most simple purchase of a water dish was not possible!!

Our first lesson: Zoo Building 101=keep the animals happy first, the guest will come, and money will come in their pockets!

First, I went into zoo keeper mode and started cleaning exhibits, feeding and grooming animals.
Then I reassigned zoo keepers to several exhibits. This was a problem: You can have as many gates as you want, but if you block the gate with an object, the zoo keeper cannot get in or out!
Then I started using all the tools the game provides for us.
I checked the animal exhibits one by one, first big problem: Way too many animals in the exhibits, thus the zoo keepers could not clean up, or feed fast enough. I think that 23 Koalas is cute, but 23! I started releasing and adopting animals.
No sooner did this happen and the donations started coming in again.
I sold the entire elevated pathwork for money since no one was using them.
I added restaurants and restrooms as the guests were all complaining.
I checked the skytram and no one was riding and the average donation was $20. All the complaints were the same: "Wish there were some animals to see"; "Those animals do not look healthy";..... The ride was not making any money. Just costing money in maintenance.
It is now turning a profit, average donation is $50, and the guests are in line to get on the ride.

I added a compost bin for recycling funds. The ring-tailed lemurs have new friends, Tapirs! A baby Black Rhino has been born, as well as a baby Crested Gibbon. Some of the exhibits are big enough to add other animal species to them.

Unhappy Animals=Unhappy Guest=No Money!!!!

This is why when the zoo made it to Csleesburg, she could not do anything. It took almost three hours of my work to make the animals happy this morning.

Admissions: Are now 989 almost 1000 guests!
Admissions Income: $13, 780
Donations: $315,444.00 up from the $258,624 when I opened the zoo!
Drinks/Food: $58,476
Recycling: $72,779 up from $35,284
Shops $34,590

I made the necessary changes to make the animals happy. We are still in the negative as far as cash flow, but the peeps are coming in now!!! I am still deleting water dishes since there were too many animals and the zoo keepers kept placing them--again maintenance that costs money!

Offline zookeeper601

• Senior Zookeeper
    • http://www.freewebs.com/zk601navigation/
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #252 on: April 11, 2006, 06:23:40 AM »
:) Glad everythings started to turn around now. :wtg

koala king

Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #253 on: April 11, 2006, 06:39:29 AM »
From here you should watch it very closely. If you leave it unnatended bad things will happen. Who made it like that?

Offline Crookshankz227

• Game Warden
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #254 on: April 11, 2006, 07:43:14 AM »
Artemis had the zoo after me, and it went up to 4 or 4 1/2 stars - how did it get that bad ?

Offline zookeeper601

• Senior Zookeeper
    • http://www.freewebs.com/zk601navigation/
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #255 on: April 11, 2006, 07:46:10 AM »
I'm glad I could remind everybody about this. :wtg

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #256 on: April 11, 2006, 08:45:43 AM »
Well, I don't think it's any one person who did it, it's just that none of us (as a group) were paying attention to the zoo as a WHOLE. We were all concentrating on our exhibit, and getting it ready and passing the zoo on. I don't think we were paying enough attention to long-term effects (like the lack of a compost heap) of actually running a zoo. I sold the conservation center (since the animals were breeding quite well without it :lol), and like zoohio, released/adoped quite a few animals. There were over 12 Bengal tigers in that space and at least 8 of them were adults! :shocked

Like zoohio, I went around cleaning up exhibits and feeding/grooming animals, but it didn't give me enough money to buy the fennecs, sadly. I made a desert space for them, though, so if we decide to add them, it's ready. I'm glad to hear the zoohio was able to bring the zoo back 'up to standards', too.

One thing I noticed was that many people nicely named their animals, but many of you named them Lord and/or Lady. Now this a problem when one dies, or if you have to release one. Keep in in mind that if you have Koala Lady and click on her family tree, it shows child Koala Lady and mate Koala Lord. That's not very helpful, actually. I tried to give names to quite a few of the animals, to clear this up, and re-named the lemurs and koalas with numbers (like Koala Lady 15 and Koala Lord 17) arbitrarily, because when you go to release an animal, you try to release the oldest ones, so they don't die of old age. It's fine to name them, but don't take away the numbers, either, or you lose track of them, and who is whose parent or sibling.

I'll try again, if zoohio wants to send the zoo back, but he may just submit it for upload.  ;)

Offline zoohio

• Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #257 on: April 11, 2006, 08:58:57 AM »
Csleesburg is right; it is about each of us handling the zoo. We are a team.
We are also a group of people who found one another at the Zoo Admin site, and there is a special bond between us---> Zoo Builders

What I should do is submit this zoo as a horrible scenario to Yellowrose as our next contest. See who can actually turn it into a money making zoo.  :lol

I can send it back to csleesburg when I get home from work and let her work her Fennec Fox exhibit.

Offline Artemis

• Zookeeper
    • http://
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #258 on: April 11, 2006, 10:08:21 AM »
-raises her hand proudly- I was paying attention to the zoo as a whole. Woo. :P Aaanyway. I'm afraid it was me who started naming them Lord/Lady, but I didn't even think about the age factor! I usually go through family trees and release all the oldest members -- grandparents or parents so only siblings remain. Heh. Sorry. :>< Will we be making another quilt after this one runs out of room? Such fun!

Offline Peacenote

• Peaceful Music Soothes the Savage Soul
  • Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #259 on: April 11, 2006, 10:49:08 AM »
Originally posted by zoohio@Apr 11 2006, 11:58 AM
What I should do is submit this zoo as a horrible scenario to Yellowrose as our next contest. See who can actually turn it into a money making zoo.  :lol

That sounds like a fun idea, actually!!!

That's really crazy that it was in such bad shape.  I didn't know it would not let you purchase things if it got bad enough, either.  Never happened to me I guess.

How's the peafowl exhibit doing?   ;)

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #260 on: April 11, 2006, 11:14:35 AM »
Well, other than their constant complaining about a 'smelly exhibit' (typical peafowl), they're doing fine. They have several babies now, too. They seem to like their little corner exhibit, and like to perch in the trees. They especially like the bananas and apples in the hollow logs.

When I get done with the zoo, I'll give all y'all a full 'report' on it. Who has babies, statistics, finances, etc. ;)

Offline zoohio

• Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #261 on: April 11, 2006, 11:41:41 AM »
They are not complaining anymore. I dropped a lion in the exhibit!  :hehe  Stopped all the complaining in no time.
Just kidding, they are happy now that scooped, fed and groomed them...and hired staff to take care of them!

Offline Peacenote

• Peaceful Music Soothes the Savage Soul
  • Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #262 on: April 11, 2006, 11:47:38 AM »
NOOOOOOOOO!!!  There's babies in there!!!    :hehe   Sniff, sniff.

That's good that the zoo is doing better now.  I am excited to download this, even waaayyyy back when I worked on it I really wanted to see the finished product.

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #263 on: April 11, 2006, 01:38:24 PM »
Originally posted by zoohio@Apr 11 2006, 01:41 PM
They are not complaining anymore. I dropped a lion in the exhibit!  :hehe  Stopped all the complaining in no time.
Oh, I saw the lion - thought he was a new toy for them! :shocked You mean he wasn't stuffed? :tongue1

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #264 on: April 11, 2006, 03:44:56 PM »
:lol I don't know how this happened though! When I had the zoo it was a 5-star zoo with happy animals and guests and everything looked fine, including when I saved it! Maybe it got corrupted when I tried to send it to you.... I'm so sorry about that since it must have been something I did since when I got it and saved it, everything was fine... Something very odd is going on here, since, like I said, you should be able to buy a food dish since it was a freeform game with unlimited money! Well whatever, glad you got it to work better Zoohio....

koala king

Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #265 on: April 11, 2006, 07:15:17 PM »
Must have been corrupted. Once again: Can I do something like this in my show and tell topic?

This is off-topic, Koala King, but yes, you can if you wish. Just not the Hurricane Relief idea. It's called a Zoo Quilt, meaning it gets passed from person to person.

Offline zoohio

• Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #266 on: April 12, 2006, 04:24:18 AM »
The zoo is once again five stars!
There was a problem with csleesburg working the zoo still, so I worked the Fennec Fox exhibit for her.

Here are the stats]Here[/URL]

Offline zoohio

• Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #267 on: April 12, 2006, 04:34:12 AM »
As the guest walk to the Desert Exhibit viewing area here

Fixed the link  ;)

Offline zoohio

• Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #268 on: April 12, 2006, 04:37:52 AM »
Did I mention Desert Exhibit! Yes there are Oryx and Fennecs together here

Fixed the link again

Offline zoohio

• Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #269 on: April 12, 2006, 04:41:20 AM »
An overview of the exhibit.
I will let Csleesburg add her comments on why she chose the Fennec Fox! Here

Fixed the link one more time  :lol

Offline wasabipeas

• Zookeeper
    • http://wasabipeas.deviantart.com/
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #270 on: April 14, 2006, 05:17:49 AM »
Has anyone done a panda?
Maybe could I

Offline zoohio

• Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #271 on: April 14, 2006, 06:26:23 AM »
I do not believe there was a panda, but the map is finished and ready for download

Offline Rosinas Cat

• Feline Friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Cool Cat
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #272 on: April 14, 2006, 06:48:17 AM »
...and download it I have!  To Earl and everyone who made up the quilt, congrats! :wtg  It is a superb zoo, as I knew it would be. I'm just sorry that I was having pc problems at the time, so I could not contribute. :sad

I would recommend everyone to download the quilt. Its lovely. Well done again, everyone. :heaster1

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #273 on: April 14, 2006, 09:46:06 AM »
Sorry I was so late about this. I chose the Fennecs because they can fit in anywhere. They survive in very harsh conditions and are a very cohesive family group. They stay together and have children, no matter what the conditions.

Offline elefriend

• Zookeeper
    • http://no
Hurricane Relief Quilt
« Reply #274 on: April 14, 2006, 09:55:02 AM »
The zoo looks really nice... but wasn't I supposed to get it? :huh oh well