Author Topic: Komodo Drama!  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Mistysun978

• Pooper Scooper
Komodo Drama!
« on: January 14, 2007, 06:45:21 PM »
Alright I'm sure I'm messing up this photo challenge! I need to get a young Komodo to climb a lookout tower. The sad thing is that I can't get those silly lizards to breed! I have two enclosure with all their enrichment items in each and 2 females for each male in each exhibit. It's been 6 months in zoo time now and not anything other then the females wanting to breed and both males are ignoring the females even when I put them right next to the female! Any suggestions on what to do to get these monsters to create babies!?

Offline catfan

• Zookeeper
  • Small or big, don't mess with the cat!
Komodo Drama!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 06:47:40 PM »
Try crating the males for about a month (in the game). That helps me!:wink:

Offline Mistysun978

• Pooper Scooper
Komodo Drama!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 06:49:28 PM »
ROFL You're kidding?? Hey I'll try it. If that works I'm all for it!

Offline Rosinas Cat

• Feline Friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Cool Cat
Komodo Drama!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 10:33:12 PM »
Moved to Scenarios and Challenges. Good luck with it, Mistysun!

Offline Mistysun978

• Pooper Scooper
Komodo Drama!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 05:57:46 PM »
So Komodo's don't breed for me. LOL even with the breeding center. I'm thinking of possibly isolating them in a corner of the zoo with fencing that can't be seen through and a dedicated zookeeper who can't get out. Any other suggestions from anyone?

Offline Silver_Gryphon

• Pooper Scooper
Komodo Drama!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 06:00:43 PM »
have you tried just replacing the dragons? maybe with just one male and one female you might do better, cos mine breed okay, I just can't get the young into that annoying lookout post...

Offline Mistysun978

• Pooper Scooper
Komodo Drama!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 06:23:49 PM »
i was hoping maybe having 2 females with one male would optimize his options :D I'm considering redoing some of my big exhibits into several smaller ones and put them in there in a back corner. that way there's no chance of other animals making them angry either. I'm having a really hard time with keeping their needs in the green.

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Komodo Drama!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 06:25:39 PM »
I would try one male and one female. Maybe he likes both but he doesn't want to make anyone jealous! :lolol:

Offline Mistysun978

• Pooper Scooper
Komodo Drama!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 06:28:48 PM »
ROFL!!! Maybe that is what I'm doing wrong!! Though I sure haven't read anything of them being monogamous!

Offline Seadragon

• Zookeeper
  • Hunting for dogs...
Komodo Drama!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 06:42:26 PM »
i always put 1 male and 1 female, it always seems to work for me. They breed like crazy!! :blink:

Offline alloy61

• Doctor Who nut
  • Copa Cabana
  • Scientist
Komodo Drama!
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 04:03:30 AM »
Let us know, one of each works for me usually too

I did once try two breeding pairs but be warned they will kill children that are not their own very readily..., so move them quickly or release to the wild the pair that isn't pregnant

As for getting a photo of the young dragon using the lookout post, easiest way is to create a mini exhibit with no foliage or rocks, food, water and the lookout post (no other enrichment!)

Good luck with it all!

Offline Mistysun978

• Pooper Scooper
Komodo Drama!
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 03:26:42 PM »
I have 2 pair now each in their own exhibit and no luck! LOL I may just let this challenge go! I've been working on it for over a year in zoo time now!

Offline catfan

• Zookeeper
  • Small or big, don't mess with the cat!
Komodo Drama!
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 08:12:53 PM »
Don't give up yet (you can give up later)! I had the same problem with my lynxs. I would make the exhibit bigger and make sure ALL of the dragons' needs are satisfied.:thumbsup:

Offline shecrock

• Zookeeper
Komodo Drama!
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 02:49:56 AM »
To get them to breed they like a lot of space .they dont like to fell  crowded at all.They all so like a lot of tall grass.